PDA

View Full Version : Another battle of the braids...

FishingFrenzy
02-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Hey Everyone,
Yes this thread has been done before but.. here it is again... :)

This year im converting all my reels over to braid with fluro "tippets". I really hate mono and fluro on reels but love braid. I used to be a spiderwire guy myself but that was before it got bad UV damage really fast :mad0030:.
Never used any other braids before so i'm looking for opinions. Which is your favorite and WHY?

Also, Accidentally forgot Berkley Big Game Braid.. Whoops.

PERCHY
02-22-2011, 04:25 PM
what do you classify as UV damage? I use spider wire camo braid and i havent notice anything wrong with my braid..i fish around 3x a week in the summer.

LacLaBicheNS
02-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Power pro... I use 50lbs for my bait caster for pike and it works great. I used to get a lot of backlass from other braids. Someone here suggested it and it is the best I've found for braid on a bait caster.

I have 10 lbs power pro on a spinning rod for walleye. I also have a extra spool for my spinning reel with 8lbs mono for walleye/trout though. I think in clear water for finicky walleye/trout mono is best.

FishingFrenzy
02-22-2011, 04:38 PM
what do you classify as UV damage? I use spider wire camo braid and i havent notice anything wrong with my braid..i fish around 3x a week in the summer.

UV damage? Over time (1 summer) my line went from a nice strong black to a soft grey color that broke off frequently. UV damage is only thing i can think of. Spiderwire camo braid seems a bit different than EZ braid, maybe they improved it.

FishingFrenzy
02-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Power pro... I use 50lbs for my bait caster for pike and it works great. I used to get a lot of backlass from other braids. Someone here suggested it and it is the best I've found for braid on a bait caster.

I have 10 lbs power pro on a spinning rod for walleye. I also have a extra spool for my spinning reel with 8lbs mono for walleye/trout though. I think in clear water for finicky walleye/trout mono is best.

I know what your saying about the mono, but braid with 6-8 feet of fluro tippet should work as well as mono in my opinion.

To each his own!

gramps73
02-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Spiderwire from the ice to the boat....

Dust1n
02-22-2011, 05:35 PM
fireline and spyder wire are the same to me i ont lik them i use power pro.IMO

AlbertaAngler
02-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Power Pro. I like the round cross section and good knot strength. I used to use fireline but I found that it wasn't quite as strong as power pro per line strength and it didn't spool as nicely. Haven't used spiderwire so I don't know how they compare

chubbdarter
02-22-2011, 05:52 PM
title says...battle of braids
i think fireline is a fusion line.....either way its my choice

New Hunter Okotoks
02-22-2011, 05:57 PM
I just picked up some Power Pro 50lb and am very surprised how thin it is. Pretty spendy though.

I have never used this stuff before so I'm wondering if I should still use a steel leader for pike? Also, I always use a blood knot when fishing but I have heard of certain knots "loosening up" with this line. Is this knot compatible with this line or should I learn a new knot?

Thanks in Advance.

chubbdarter
02-22-2011, 06:06 PM
I just picked up some Power Pro 50lb and am very surprised how thin it is. Pretty spendy though.

I have never used this stuff before so I'm wondering if I should still use a steel leader for pike? Also, I always use a blood knot when fishing but I have heard of certain knots "loosening up" with this line. Is this knot compatible with this line or should I learn a new knot?

Thanks in Advance.

they do sell a braid glue...you might want to try

New Hunter Okotoks
02-22-2011, 06:07 PM
they do sell a braid glue...you might want to try

I thought that was for dreadlocks!

chubbdarter
02-22-2011, 06:13 PM
I thought that was for dreadlocks!

i think its just crazy glue in a different bottle.....you'd look good this week end with a new doo though

Logan
02-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Power Pro

/thread.

LacLaBicheNS
02-22-2011, 06:36 PM
I have used the knot that came in the fireline box for all my braids. Never used glue and never had a knot fail. Its probably the easiest knot I have tied!

fireline is junk... if you use it and haven't tried PP I suggest you do. fireline is flat and doens't spool right and cuts into itself which causes backlashes

WayneChristie
02-22-2011, 06:38 PM

Thanks in Advance.

use a leader, they will still bite through the power pro, Ive watched them do it. havent lost one on a fluoro leader yet tho, still experimenting with it. I have 80 pound powerpro on my sturgeon/pike reel and also 30 pound on my spinning reel. only problem Ive had with it so far is the fibreglass weeds in the river in summer tend to get wrapped around it really good so its hard to reel in.

chubbdarter
02-22-2011, 07:01 PM
I have used the knot that came in the fireline box for all my braids. Never used glue and never had a knot fail. Its probably the easiest knot I have tied!

fireline is junk... if you use it and haven't tried PP I suggest you do. fireline is flat and doens't spool right and cuts into itself which causes backlashes

never had a issue.
just lucky i guess

iliketrout
02-22-2011, 07:40 PM

Thanks in Advance.

Palomar knot is popular for braided line. It's also easy to fine tune with braided line as you pull the knot tight.

Jwood 456
02-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Power Pro.

Power Pro I find is the smoothest and and most abrasion resistant braid i've used. When I've used 50lb power pro on my pike setup, only once out of many pike battles have I had a jack cut the line.

huntsfurfish
02-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Hmmmm, I like all of them. Been using spiderline since it came out. Using power pro too. Also use fireline since it came out. Like em all.

But then again I still use mono for some fishing too and vanish as well. They all have their time and place. For fluorocarbons have been using Seagar since it came out too. Have had no issues with any of them.

Looking forward to trying the new suffix 832 - see what all the hype is. I suspect it will have its own following too.

PERCHY
02-22-2011, 08:59 PM
UV damage? Over time (1 summer) my line went from a nice strong black to a soft grey color that broke off frequently. UV damage is only thing i can think of. Spiderwire camo braid seems a bit different than EZ braid, maybe they improved it.

yep the old spyder wire i had wasnt camo it was green and it would become discolored and break fairly easily...the camo hasnt done that to me yet..i really havent looked at my summer gear yet this year but i am planning on re spooling my line (like every year) just in case.

nicemustang
02-22-2011, 09:25 PM
I used to use fireline. It isn't braid but more of a superline (fused). JUNK line IMO. Frays and get lots of weak points. Since trying powerpro, lines have not come close to comparing to it's superior quality. I also like suffix too, but will keep with my power pro.

nicemustang
02-22-2011, 09:32 PM

Thanks in Advance.

Here's two tips, don't say you don't learn nothing for free here :)

1. Wet you line before completing the knot. They hold a lot better for whatever reason. As stated, palomar all the way for braid, blood won't do.

2. Pike test. I have a hard time believing a pike can chew through line better than I could. So do a test. If I can't bite through it and break it, neither can pike. Have never used a leader or lost a pike yet with power pro.

1bluZebec
02-22-2011, 09:58 PM
I agree about leaders. I have never used a leader and honestly out of every trip and hook I've got wet, I have only lost two. Spiderwire is awesome personally my favorite but like others haven't tried power pro so as for others though spiderwire is best. Palomar knot is what I use aswell for braided and putting the knot in mouth before finish tightening up. Even for panfishing I find I still moisten my knots.lol

J-C
02-22-2011, 10:25 PM
I like Powerpro for pike and walleye because its so strong. I usually just tie a trilene and it holds up fine. For trout and perch I use 4lb Suffix Mono. If your drag is set right bigger trout put up a great fight. I like for perch because it's its almost invisible which I think is important, especially when they are being picky. Just my 2 cents.

AK47
02-22-2011, 11:07 PM
I used to use fireline. It isn't braid but more of a superline (fused). . Frays and get lots of weak points. Since trying powerpro, lines have not come close to comparing to it's superior quality.

Agree 100%. Fireline is great for first couple trips and then it starts fraying peeling and gets weaker and weaker, especially if you fish rivers. Not worth the money.

ULTRAlite
02-22-2011, 11:16 PM
just to add another question on the same topic....

do the percher's out there use braid on ultra light setups? Is there a 2lb test braid? I'm liking the idea of no stretch and feeling everything going on down there.

huntsfurfish
02-23-2011, 05:58 AM
yup. There is superbraids or fusion lines at 4,3,2, and 1 pound test. I use them for perch and walleye.

huntsfurfish
02-23-2011, 06:13 AM
Each superline has its own characteristics(sp). Power pro is stiffer then Spiderwire which makes it easier to tie in a wind. Spiderwire is very limp/soft and doesnt sink -lite jig and line watching in shallow. Windy days I will switch to power pro, But for shallow pitching - I still like spiderwire. Fused lines are mostly on my trolling reels and B bouncing reels.

WayneChristie
02-23-2011, 06:57 AM
Here's two tips, don't say you don't learn nothing for free here :)

2. Pike test. I have a hard time believing a pike can chew through line better than I could. So do a test. If I can't bite through it and break it, neither can pike. Have never used a leader or lost a pike yet with power pro.

Ok NM this is pretty much the first time one of your posts hasnt made much sense to me. you are comparing this
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/piketeeth.jpg
to this
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/sh000-teeth.jpg
:bad_boys_20:

mustardb
02-23-2011, 07:33 AM
I've been a long term fireline user for a number of years but have decided to change to power pro for this year with a flouro leader. I prefer to use the yellow hi-vis line with a 4' leader. Finally found yellow power pro at BPS on Monday to I will spool up a spining reel and give it a try.

dragon
02-23-2011, 08:34 AM
I liek fireline and spider wire. I use 6 lb fireline on my rod for pike and walleye at pigeon. I use 20 lb line for the kidlets and my wife as they do not know how to adjust the drag if they were to catch an unusually large fish.

use a leader with my kids only because they like to change their hooks every 2 minutes. I tie my hook directly to the line

nicemustang
02-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Ok NM this is pretty much the first time one of your posts hasnt made much sense to me. you are comparing this
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/piketeeth.jpg
to this
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/sh000-teeth.jpg
:bad_boys_20:

Haha...I hear you wayne! Not everyone is fishing buggers like that though. That is a monster. But seriously though, the human insicors are just as sharp and you can get a lot of torque behind them. I can bite through 20 LB mono, can't to 15 lb flouro and can't bite through 15 LB+ powerpro. I think that's a pretty good guide.

mooseknuckle
02-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Just switched to power pro. If I ever catch a fish I'll post my review, but it looks great!! LOL.

Topwater
02-23-2011, 09:59 AM
I've had 10 lb fire line outlast the reels it was spooled on. Also been using 6lb fire line for vertical jogging and am really happy with that, the thin diameter is the bomb. The problem is the heavier lb test on the bait cast pike outfits, I think I'll give the power pro a whirl this year.

freeones
02-23-2011, 10:14 AM
I've had 10 lb fire line outlast the reels it was spooled on. Also been using 6lb fire line for vertical jogging and am really happy with that, the thin diameter is the bomb. The problem is the heavier lb test on the bait cast pike outfits, I think I'll give the power pro a whirl this year.

Same here. I've never had a problem with Fireline. If it's getting beat up on rocks, snags, fish, etc... then yeah, it will fray, but you cut off a few feet, retie, and you're good to go. If you think your mono or power pro isn't deteriorating in the same way, you're kidding yourself. I can't wrap my head around some of the comments here regarding Fireline, I find it hard to believe that people can have such a different experience with the same product.

That said, I have tried the Spiderwire and power pro and I simply didn't care for either of them. I really didn't like the spiderwire and the power pro was too much like cable to me and not enough like a supple fishing line. I wouldn't use either again. I really don't think there's a right answer, just whichever one a person likes best.

I am looking forward to trying the 10lb and 6lb Suffix 832 this year. It might be a gimmick, but I think it has potential to be my go to line for most techniques.

Topwater
02-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah that's the key with all line I think is to trim off a couple feet every once in a while. And on my reels with fire line After two years I'll peel it off and respool it reversed and run it for two more years

.Same here. I've never had a problem with Fireline. If it's getting beat up on rocks, snags, fish, etc... then yeah, it will fray, but you cut off a few feet, retie, and you're good to go. If you think your mono or power pro isn't deteriorating in the same way, you're kidding yourself.

nicemustang
02-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I also think it matters what type of reel you are running. A cheap reel is much harder on line and it wears a lot faster. Not everyone can afford a quality reel.

chubbdarter
02-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Same here. I've never had a problem with Fireline. If it's getting beat up on rocks, snags, fish, etc... then yeah, it will fray, but you cut off a few feet, retie, and you're good to go. If you think your mono or power pro isn't deteriorating in the same way, you're kidding yourself. I can't wrap my head around some of the comments here regarding Fireline, I find it hard to believe that people can have such a different experience with the same product.

That said, I have tried the Spiderwire and power pro and I simply didn't care for either of them. I really didn't like the spiderwire and the power pro was too much like cable to me and not enough like a supple fishing line. I wouldn't use either again. I really don't think there's a right answer, just whichever one a person likes best.

I am looking forward to trying the 10lb and 6lb Suffix 832 this year. It might be a gimmick, but I think it has potential to be my go to line for most techniques.

I agree freeones with your overall statement. I like fireline its never failed me, but im not gung ho to entertain a discussion when others call a proven product junk. Especially a product thats endorsed by some respected people in the industry and then has never failed me and im completely satisfied. I agree each person has their own ways to determine whats their preference.
I also think this is a undefined discussion as Ive never fished in Alberta with anything close to 50lb line.

nicemustang
02-23-2011, 11:15 AM
I agree freeones with your overall statement. I like fireline its never failed me, but im not gung ho to entertain a discussion when others call a proven product junk. Especially a product thats endorsed by some respected people in the industry and then has never failed me and im completely satisfied. I agree each person has their own ways to determine whats their preference.
I also think this is a undefined discussion as Ive never fished in Alberta with anything close to 50lb line.

I don't think you can put any stock into who endorses what. Heck, if I was a pro and fireline paid me thousands and loads of free stuff, why wouldn't you endorse it. Means nothing to me.

chubbdarter
02-23-2011, 11:20 AM
I don't think you can put any stock into who endorses what. Heck, if I was a pro and fireline paid me thousands and loads of free stuff, why wouldn't you endorse it. Means nothing to me.

who said anything about a pro?

freeones
02-23-2011, 03:59 PM

I had a different response ready to go the first time around, and then for the reasons I underlined I deleted it and started over. I completely agree, sometimes it's just not worth the effort.

An unpaid endorsement from an angler I respect speaks volumes to me, we're definitely on the same page there. As for the paid endorsement of products, yes, sometimes it needs to be taken with a grain of salt, and I'm always aware of that. For the most part though, if someone is endorsing a product they don't truely believe in or that isn't a quality product, that'll quickly come to light, and that person's reputation will pretty much be toast. A person's reputation is the most valuable thing they have when it comes to the fishing game, so most won't gamble with it to make a few bucks. I know I wouldn't. The "pros" also have to fish with what they're promoting, so if they felt the product was putting them at a disadvantage to the competition, those endorsement cheques better be pretty big, because results count.

Braun
02-23-2011, 04:30 PM
ultimately, IMO it all depends on what each individual is looking for in a line. All the braids will perform very similar, yet have subtle differences that satisfy the needs of different anglers. Personally, I am experimenting with a couple different types of braids. so far right now i am liking power pro right now for 2 main reasons. I do like the stiffness in it which makes tying knots quick and easy. the second reason is because i find that powerpro gets less ice buildup on it. and the very little ice that does form breaks off easily on my guides when reeling in. also doesnt freeze on my reels much. i have more problems with freezing guides than i do freezing line now. My opinion might change of power pro when open water comes but we will see.

Like i said. highly depended on what each angler wants out of the lines they use. some wont like power pro because of its stiffness.

That said, I understand what you guys are talking about when it comes to experienced anglers "endorsing" certain lines. I agree that i tend to listen to these respected anglers. but ultimately i still think people evaluate products differently based on their own needs. that doesnt make that other angler wrong, just values different qualities. but when i am going through and decided what lines to try next, thats when i listen to these guys and weigh their opinions

joshcat
02-23-2011, 08:09 PM
You guys all suck LOL Fly fishing RULES!!! :bad_boys_20:

whitewolf
02-23-2011, 08:55 PM
i am useing power pro now as i am half blind and i can see it to tie the knots....maybe thats why were not catching any fish...lol...jk...it was recomended to me by nicemustang on a post as i couldnt decide what to buy as i was frustrated with line and it has worked well for me and i wasnt joking about my eyesight....that line really helps me in that respect and it is super strong

rielbowhunter
02-23-2011, 08:58 PM
I have Fireline on one spool and its 20lbs. its a good 6+ years old and still strong as Hell! the only thing I didn't like about it was that on a aluminium spool , I could not tie a Knot thats would stop the whole line from turning on the spool. so I had to switch it to a plastic one. I like mono.
I tried a 4lb braided line for perch one time and found it was to sensitive for me. back to mono

whitewolf
02-23-2011, 08:59 PM
oh ya and if you get it snagged on the bottom...DO NOT WRAP YOUR HAND IN THE LINE AS THEY WILL BE SEWING YOUR HAND BACK ON....

chubbdarter
02-23-2011, 09:07 PM
I have Fireline on one spool and its 20lbs. its a good 6+ years old and still strong as Hell! the only thing I didn't like about it was that on a aluminium spool , I could not tie a Knot thats would stop the whole line from turning on the spool. so I had to switch it to a plastic one. I like mono.
I tried a 4lb braided line for perch one time and found it was to sensitive for me. back to mono

rbh...use your regular knot..then take electrical tape and do one wrap covering the knot and the base of the spool...wind your line over the tape

rielbowhunter
02-23-2011, 09:20 PM
rbh...use your regular knot..then take electrical tape and do one wrap covering the knot and the base of the spool...wind your line over the tape

thanks Chub, I will try that next time i re spool. it just sucked to find out the hard way on 6lb bulltrout . I was winding and not getting any where.and was not fun trying to pull that line by hand. ah the joys of fishing,

nicemustang
02-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Or you can use a mono backing before you start your braid.

FishingFrenzy
02-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Or you can use a mono backing before you start your braid.

X2, This work great!

chubbdarter
02-24-2011, 05:41 PM
got 4 spools of of the new suffix.....woot woot im cool now

and

another spool of vanish snuck in the bag...heheeeeeeeheeheeeee

npauls
02-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Hey Darter,

I have never had any problems with vanish either. Good to hear you are going to test out the new suffix.

Let me know how it works for you. I am thinking about getting a few rods spooled up with it this summer.

FishingFrenzy
02-24-2011, 06:34 PM
PowerPro 25 39.06%
Suffix 3 4.69%
Spiderwire 11 17.19%
Stren 0 0%
Fireline 19 29.69%
Other 6 9.38%

Those are the results so far..

Seems like its "each to his own" situation.. I think i will use powerpro for pike and fireline with fluro leader for trout.

I would love to know what the 6 guys that selected "other" are using.... Berkley Big Game is the only one i know of that i forgot.

PS: for easy to read poll results, just go to the actual poll results :)

chubbdarter
02-24-2011, 07:08 PM
all i can tell you is this Suffix 832 feels alot like Fireline. Its limp and holds a knot really well.
AND IT SINKS

Jwood 456
02-24-2011, 10:53 PM
All of the braids I've used have had their ups and downs. I'll list my personal favorite braids from most to least favorite.

1. Power Pro. Pros: Very smooth through rod guides, great knot strength, very abrasion resistant, good shock resistance, and awesome sensativity, Cons: Looses colouration quickly, can be fairly tricky to handle and line strength deteriorates quicker than usual.

2. Stren Braid. Pros: Extremely smooth through rod guides,very limp, and awesome sensitivity.
Cons: Very poor abrasion resistance and very poor knot strength, poor shock resistance, and tricky to handle.

3. Fireline. Pros: Excellent shock resistance, good knot strength, great abrassion resistance, good sensativity, and very easy to handle.
Cons: Rough through guides.

4. Spider Wire. Pros: Much stronger than line rating, and good sensativity.
Cons: Horrible shock resistance, and questionable abrasion resistance and tricky to handle.

For flourocarbon, Vanish works great. Vanish dissapears very well and this is the only line that my buddy has caught whitefish on. If you go with vanish, make sure you test the knots. Vanish can have a very sketchy knot strength.

chubbdarter
02-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Hey Darter,

I have never had any problems with vanish either. Good to hear you are going to test out the new suffix.

Let me know how it works for you. I am thinking about getting a few rods spooled up with it this summer.

nate so far so good.....it really feels and acts like fireline.
even tryed a few casts on top of the ice. No helicopter sounds like alot of braids...acts like a fusion.
its slick like fireline and water shakes and doesnt collect and freeze bad.

New Hunter Okotoks
02-27-2011, 07:33 PM
After fishing with 50 lb Power Pro this weekend, 2 things became apparent.

1. A leader is required when fishing for Pike with this line. They can get through the line easy enough with their teeth.

2. This stuff cuts through hands like nobody's business when a 21 lb pike decides to go for a 20 foot run! LOL!

chubbdarter
02-27-2011, 07:39 PM
After fishing with 50 lb Power Pro this weekend, 2 things became apparent.

1. A leader is required when fishing for Pike with this line. They can get through the line easy enough with their teeth.

2. This stuff cuts through hands like nobody's business when a 21 lb pike decides to go for a 20 foot run! LOL!

be careful of lines that act like a cable saw.....if a fish goes for a long hard run the line will carve a slit in the bottom edge of the hole......then try figure out how to get her head lined up into the hole....lol....been there done that