PDA

View Full Version : Do you know these reservoirs?

pikester
02-22-2011, 07:58 PM
So looking at Google maps I see a long skinny reservoir east of Vauxhall which I believe is Grantham reservoir but about 5 miles east of that there is a another kind of roundish reservoir with no name, on my Southern Alberta RR twp map it's called "Reservoir no.1". Does this other reservoir have another name & can anyone tell me what the fishing is like in either of these lakes? Thanks.

Piker
02-22-2011, 08:20 PM
That one is called Scope and it has at least pike in it. Check with Wayne Christie as It is near whjere he lives and I think he fishes there. Piker

WayneChristie
02-22-2011, 08:34 PM
right now, slow fishing. Grantham is super dirty from the rotting vegetation, and the water actually stinks. Scope is better, but usually very windy since there is no cover for miles. you would likely have better luck at Newell, thats where Im fishing this weekend, 4 days worth :sHa_shakeshout: bigger fish and more variety also in Newell

pikester
02-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Ah ok, thanks for the info guys :)

rielbowhunter
02-22-2011, 11:28 PM
right now, slow fishing. Grantham is super dirty from the rotting vegetation, and the water actually stinks. Scope is better, but usually very windy since there is no cover for miles. you would likely have better luck at Newell, thats where Im fishing this weekend, 4 days worth :sHa_shakeshout: bigger fish and more variety also in Newell

hello Wayne ,is the fishing good at Newell around may long, I have been told thats where the wife booked are camping this year?
I was there for the first time in aug last year, but with my kids we did more tubing than fishing, but I am hope its to cold to go tubing and we get to fish more,LOL.:thinking-006:

WayneChristie
02-23-2011, 06:51 AM
I dont fish it often during open water, usually too windy for my pontoon, but that time of year there should be some pretty good pike fishing, going to hit it more often this spring, I know just before the ice is gone the fishing is pretty good, but the catching sucks with the rotten ice. Lost some nice fish last year on the jagged bottom of the ice.

nicemustang
02-23-2011, 08:48 AM
hello Wayne ,is the fishing good at Newell around may long, I have been told thats where the wife booked are camping this year?
I was there for the first time in aug last year, but with my kids we did more tubing than fishing, but I am hope its to cold to go tubing and we get to fish more,LOL.:thinking-006:

When are you going?

The problem with Newell early season is turnover. And then the weather changes and wind usually make the darn thing turnover a couple times. Turnover makes brutal fishing.

However, after that nonsense is over, newell is a pretty good open water fishery. Lot of bays that warm early and the pike action can be good. Walleye stock up on classic structure here, use the lake map to figure out where.

rielbowhunter
02-23-2011, 10:27 PM
When are you going?

The problem with Newell early season is turnover. And then the weather changes and wind usually make the darn thing turnover a couple times. Turnover makes brutal fishing.

However, after that nonsense is over, newell is a pretty good open water fishery. Lot of bays that warm early and the pike action can be good. Walleye stock up on classic structure here, use the lake map to figure out where.

going maylong weekend, sure hope the ice is gone.LOL