PDA

View Full Version : Heater inside ice tent

Danorn
02-22-2011, 08:15 PM
I am new to ice fishing inside a hut and wondering about using a Mr Heater inside for heat. I know it puts out carbon monoxide and I am just a bit concerned about this fact. I realize the tent has vents and doors and is not insulated, but are there any issues I need to watch other than the obvious such as burning down the tent or our feet? Tks for any input.

Daniel

iliketrout
02-22-2011, 08:21 PM
If it's burning cleanly(getting enough oxygen) it shouldn't be producing much (if any) CO, but mainly CO2. Just make sure to have a small vent or window open to get a little fresh air for it. I usually jump in and out of the tent numerous times and it's never been an issue for me.

Some of the Mr Heater Buddy heaters have CO shutoff (and tip over shut off) if you're looking for added safety features.

Danorn
02-22-2011, 08:27 PM
tks for the quick response. I am taking an older gentleman with a bit of copd, so I was just hoping my heater wouldn't cause him any breathing troubles. We, hopefully, will be having to go to the weigh station lots to get out as well. I will keep it vented for sure. Again tks

WayneChristie
02-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Shouldnt be much problem, I have a bit of a lung issue, and if it starts to get a bit stuffy I open the door a little bit and its ok. most tents have windows you can open also, usually you can open the plastic and just put the covering over most of the opening if you want more air

Danorn
02-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys for easing my concerns. We can't wait now to get out and stay warm on the ice. :fishing:

Daniel

iliketrout
02-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Not exactly sure what copd is but I have mild Asthma and I've never had problems.

For added comfort for your older guest, consider a piece of carpet or something similar to get his feet off the ice. His feet will stay much warmer and he'll be a lot more comfortable.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. Hope it works out well for you guys and good luck at the tourney!

PERCHY
02-22-2011, 09:06 PM
I might be the only one here but if i sit in a tent for hours on end with a propane heater i actually feel it in my throat a little bit. Im sure its completely safe but i like to take lots of breaks to mess with my tip ups.

side note: im pretty sure theres an oxygen sensor you can buy that automatically turns off the heater when co2 levels become dangerous.

edit: iliketrout beat me to it.

flygirrl
02-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Not exactly sure what copd is but I have mild Asthma and I've never had problems.

For added comfort for your older guest, consider a piece of carpet or something similar to get his feet off the ice. His feet will stay much warmer and he'll be a lot more comfortable.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. Hope it works out well for you guys and good luck at the tourney!

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease ( COPD), also known as chronic obstructive lung disease (COLD), chronic obstructive airway disease (COAD)

Usually effects smokers......:bad_boys_20:

nicemustang
02-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Also, you could get a CO detecter that runs on batteries and keep it in the tent.

Dust1n
02-22-2011, 09:25 PM
open the door if u get tired

deanmc
02-22-2011, 09:30 PM
I might be the only one here but if i sit in a tent for hours on end with a propane heater i actually feel it in my throat a little bit. Im sure its completely safe but i like to take lots of breaks to mess with my tip ups.

side note: im pretty sure theres an oxygen sensor you can buy that automatically turns off the heater when co2 levels become dangerous.

edit: iliketrout beat me to it.

Not the only one. I get that as well. Mine is a sunflower type though.

Jimboy
02-23-2011, 01:18 AM
I am new to ice fishing inside a hut and wondering about using a Mr Heater inside for heat. I know it puts out carbon monoxide and I am just a bit concerned about this fact. I realize the tent has vents and doors and is not insulated, but are there any issues I need to watch other than the obvious such as burning down the tent or our feet? Tks for any input.

Daniel

Same as cooking in a holiday trailer on the stove top , all propane , window or vent open , alls good , just dont sleep with it on.

Jimboy
02-23-2011, 01:23 AM
need a new thread concerning farting , smoking , and hack spittin in a ice tent.:sick:

harley65
02-23-2011, 04:42 AM
need a new thread concerning farting , smoking , and hack spittin in a ice tent.:sick:

:sHa_sarcasticlol: x 2

WayneChristie
02-23-2011, 06:47 AM

farting is ok with a buddy type heater with low oxygen sensor, but definitely not recommended with a sunflower style open flame heater! :Lightning:

hot to hunt
02-23-2011, 10:40 AM
I use a sunflower propane heater in mine. Works good but definately keep a vent or two open. I hang my personal 4 head monitor in the tent as well. Right now I'm having a stove pipe patch sewn into my tent for a small wood stove. Way safer!!

Kokanee9
02-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Also, you could get a CO detecter that runs on batteries and keep it in the tent.

I agree with nicemustang. $30 should get you a basic carbon monoxide detector. The more expensive ones have an led readout showing the actual levels of co2. Just take a wire and use it to suspend it from the roof of the tent.

I cant figure out why these are not mentioned more on this thread.