PDA

View Full Version : Langara / salmon

DanJ
02-22-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm a guest on a four day trip to Langara lodge this July. Absolute dream, I'm very fortunate and I want to make the most of it. Salmon and halibut, but especially salmon.

It's my understanding that everything is provided - boats, rods, reels, the works. Nevertheless, I intend to have a little tackle box with me as a reserve and I'm wondering what I should bring. For example, I am planning to make up a supply of mooching rigs with good fluorocarbon line and Gamegatsu hooks, so I can tackle up while the guide's busy with the rich guys. I also want to tie some flies in case I get the chance I'm hoping for to fly cast to some pinks.

Suggestions, anyone? Anyone been there and have suggestions for what tackle I can bring to give myself an edge? Anything ELSE I should bring? (I already know what kind of tipple I'm bringing.) What about clothing for the first week of July?

Thanks, all!

Daceminnow
02-22-2011, 11:07 PM
if it's a guided trip which it looks to be, nothing anyone on this forum will have to say will hold a candle to what your guide has to offer. ask lots of questions while you're out there fishing with him and learn from a guy that makes his living fishing. most are more than happy to answer all questions. go relax and let them do all the thinking for you. that's a great lodge from what i understand. fished on the west coast lots. only on a fully guided trip once. learned so much in those three days. fishing stuff aside learning to read the water and tides was incredible. you'll have a great trip.

Dace

Jamie
02-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Call Jay Toll Free 1-888-534-7422 (He is Tofino fish on this site)

He has access to what you need and can arrange shipping.

Good luck up in Langara. Your going to have a bunch of fun.
Are you being guided or going unguided? Who are you going with?

As for clothing, long johns never hurt, your lodge should supply you with rain gear. Now this is kinda stupid, but I like it. If you are in a open boat, take a pair of ski goggles. It makes it much nicer when your zipping back to the lodge to dry off.

I take my own Rain gear as I cant stand the heavy (But effective) stuff most lodges supply.
Toque will not hurt, try and get a waterproof one
Gloves are always a big concern. I still cant find the perfect pair for me. Just take lots. Some guys swear by the Wool no figures types

Get a waterproof bag for the extra gear you will take on the boat
Waterproof camera, with lots of memory

Try and pack as light as you can. Wear your fishing stuff up to the lodge (If you are spending the night in Vancouver)
Hopefully between you and a buddy, you can get away with just one checked bag. It's nice to have the extra room for the fish on the way back.

Since I doubt you will be in covered heated boats, be versatile in the cloths you pick. Staying warm is important if you want to spend as much time on the water as possible.

Feel free to get in touch if I can be of any further help
Thanks
Jamie

thumper
02-23-2011, 02:39 PM
"if it's a guided trip which it looks to be, nothing anyone on this forum will have to say will hold a candle to what your guide has to offer "

That's quite the statement! I've had some pretty awesome guides - and some pretty poor ones. Some Langara guides are so spoiled by the usually outstanding fishing, that they don't change anything up when the bite is slow, and you end up endlessly trolling while just admiring the scenery. Sux if that happens to be your 3 or 4 days there!

Take Jamies advice and speak to Tofino for the full meal deal.

If you want to try for a coho on the fly, make sure that your lodge has flyrods for your use - or bring your own 4 piece 8 weight and play around just in the prop wash - you don't need any distance casting for cohos.

On my next trip to Langara, I'm bringing a couple of spoons to cast into the bait-balls, and a good hook sharpener. I'm a firm believer in sharpening your hook after every strike - but most guides don't bother.

dss44
02-23-2011, 03:04 PM
After every strike might be a bit much, but be sure to sharpen them daily...or change them at least once a day if not more. Many guides are stubborn, so suggesting this to them may get a rise out of them, but in the end it'll be worth it. Sharp hooks are even more important than the hook job itself often I find.

Daceminnow
02-23-2011, 05:57 PM
"if it's a guided trip which it looks to be, nothing anyone on this forum will have to say will hold a candle to what your guide has to offer "

That's quite the statement! I've had some pretty awesome guides - and some pretty poor ones. Some Langara guides are so spoiled by the usually outstanding fishing, that they don't change anything up when the bite is slow, and you end up endlessly trolling while just admiring the scenery. Sux if that happens to be your 3 or 4 days there!

Take Jamies advice and speak to Tofino for the full meal deal.

If you want to try for a coho on the fly, make sure that your lodge has flyrods for your use - or bring your own 4 piece 8 weight and play around just in the prop wash - you don't need any distance casting for cohos.

On my next trip to Langara, I'm bringing a couple of spoons to cast into the bait-balls, and a good hook sharpener. I'm a firm believer in sharpening your hook after every strike - but most guides don't bother.

yep, i guess it is a bold statement. granted there are a wack of guys on here with tons of west coast fishing knowledge. let me be more clear. all i am saying is a "good" guide, his advise, and what you can learn from him is invaluable. i also believe as a client it's your responsibility to speak up if your guide "don't change anything up when the bite is slow, and you end up endlessly trolling while just admiring the scenery" for 4 days. you're paying for it, say something. if i want scenery i'll go to canmore. yes, there's good guides and bad. have heard the stories. as mentioned in my post, i was fortunate enough to have a real experienced crusty sea dawg fisherman that taught me lots on my first guided trip. may not get a guy that solid ever again. can't be that bad at Langara, looks like you're headed back. hopefully you don't get stuck with someone you're not comfortable talking to about how you're paid fishing trip is going before you're 4 days are up and it's time to go home.

goldscud
02-23-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure fly rods are available. I would bring my own.
You could email the lodge and ask them

Jwood 456
02-23-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm not a proffesional though I have studied a salmon book and online sources for a while and it seems like the pink salmon strongly prefer flys that contain pink/red and gold.

This link may be helpful on exact patterns. These are the patterns the anglers have been using on Vancouver Island however, they may work up at Langara also. http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/protalk/thornton/beach.phtml

oilngas
02-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Jamie gave u great advice, I would add; take your own Gammies or other "super Premium" hooks and leader material, stainless ball bearing swivels, learn to tie a tandem hook set, your own rods and especially reels if you have top of the line single action reels and like to fish light as I do (8# and 12# are what I like 2 use). I also take my own selection of 1/2 oz. to about 2oz. sinkers as they do not have that light stuff as a rule. But i love 2 catch the Springs very shallow.

I have found very few places that supply Islander or better reels, and fewer yet places that service them every nite, Islanders need to be greased often. Some great Guides will do it on their own gear and let u use their gear.

Some years Langara has to travel a long way to get fish, be prepared with top quality warm gear. I like to take my own Cabelas guide wear jacket and bibs.

Other posters are correct wear your fishing gear for the most part and take as small a carry on as possible.

Jamie
02-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Jamie gave u great advice, I would add;
I have found very few places that supply Islander or better reels, and fewer yet places that service them every nite, Islanders need to be greased often. Some great Guides will do it on their own gear and let u use their gear.
Some years Langara has to travel a long way to get fish, be prepared with top quality warm gear. I like to take my own Cabelas guide wear jacket and bibs.

Other posters are correct wear your fishing gear for the most part and take as small a carry on as possible.

This quote is perhaps the most valuable piece of advice ever on A/O.

After being out for so many years, that was always the first question I asked.
WHAT REELS DO YOU USE?
and
HOW DO YOU TAKE CARE OF THEM?

I found this to be a great indication of how the rest of the lodge was run.

Just wait till you lose a nice Salmon because of some herky jerky drag. I have watched these reels side by side and the difference between premium reels and run of the mill stuff is just outstanding.
One wrong twitch and you will lose that fish.

Jamie

Erik
02-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Herring dodgers work well. Mooching with a herring dodger almost allows you to troll for chinooks instead of popping in and out of gear. I'm not sure why, but I suppose, to some degree, it emulates the action of a downrigger. When times were slow it produced fish when both downriggers and traditional mooching would not.

Doubtful you will get to try this method. I find guides quite narrowly focused, for better or worse. It is usually driven by the need to 'catch lots of fish' for the client. This can be good if you are the weekend warrior type that just wants to bang out salmon, but doesn't lend itself to experimentation. The biggest problem with guided boats at Langara is that they use downriggers and for most of the fishing there that is totally unnecessary. Shallow fishing will often yield larger fish, or such has been my experience.

This year is not a pink year. Not that they won't be there, but just not in such great numbers, or at least theoretically. I would bring an 8 wt and target cohos.

Mr. Greenhead
02-23-2011, 10:36 PM
It sounds to me, that you are being guided. If so, you may have a tough time convincing your guide to change or alter their gear. Some of the guides have been up there for a long time and know exactly what gear to use, how deep, how fast, and so forth. I have fished in the Charlottes over a dozen times. A number of times guided, but also many times unguided. I will no longer fish guided if I have a choice, because I prefer to run my own boat and my own gear. If you are running your own boat, you may want to bring up your own gear. I always bring up my islander reel, but other than that I find that the tackle provided is sufficient. If you plan on running downriggers, you may want to bring up some of your favorite flashers and spoons, such as coyotes. Otherwise, most guides and guests fish with cutplug herring. It is simple and deadly effective.

As the for the weather, be prepared for anything and everything. But most of all bring lots of warm clothes. Some years, we have been blessed with four days of sun, other years we have been blessed with four days of rain! Regardless of the weather, you will be fishing in arguably the best salmon and halibut waters that BC has to offer. Enjoy!