PDA

View Full Version : Black pike

Dust1n
02-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Has anyone caught or sean a black pike>?

WayneChristie
02-23-2011, 09:09 PM
seen a few colour variations, I caught one a couple times that was very dak on one side and way lighter on the other side. also saw dodger catch one that was pretty much blue/silver. saw one a couple times last weekend that had a beak like a platypus

bloopbloob
02-23-2011, 09:40 PM
It was probably just a leech you caught at Sylvan :snapoutofit:

bucktaker
02-24-2011, 08:03 AM
caught a black pike with orange markings years ago at McGregor

DanJ
02-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Many years ago I caught a pike-like fish on Ottawa's Rideau River just downstream from Carleton University. It was shaped exactly like a baby pike, about eight inches long but its back was black, sides silver and belly white. I've never identified that fish.

Photoplex
02-24-2011, 09:18 PM
also saw dodger catch one that was pretty much blue/silver.

"Another form of northern pike, the silver pike, is not a subspecies but rather a mutation that occurs in scattered populations. Silver pike, sometimes called silver muskellunge, lack the rows of spots and appear silver, white, or silvery-blue in color." Craig, John Pike: Biology and Exploitation

Cool... didn't know that! Where was it pulled out of? Would love to see one of those one day.

DaveFish
02-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Afew years ago on a river close to Waterhen lake sask. caught a black pike, black sides/back, was about 6lbs, a really weedy river.

baptiste_moose
02-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Davefish, were u at otter? The river opens up about 5 km from waterhen. Lotsa fun pike in there.

-JR-
02-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Caught a black pike in a lake in northern BC in the Helmute oil field area .
Was told they normaly go black if the underwater floor is black in colour.

DaveFish
02-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Davefish, were u at otter? The river opens up about 5 km from waterhen. Lotsa fun pike in there.

Yes, otter, by the old bridge, had lots of fun, but decided just to go back to Tawa cabins /w my rentaboat on waterhen because even though I was catching, my buddy wasn't.

bigfro47
02-25-2011, 11:53 AM
I once caught a 7 lb pike that was silver on the sides and belly and was black on its back about 20yrs ago out of lower man lakes by Ashmont, I have some pictures of me holding it as a kid. The F and W said that the fish was possibly moulting it's colors, I personally have never heard of it before. That is the only odd one I have ever caught. Many color patterns are present in the different sub species.
Bigfro

Strikemaster
02-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Once caught a very dark almost black Walleye out of Big Lake by St.Albert. Was interesting to see.....I figured it was due to the shallow weedy nature of the lake.