PDA

View Full Version : getting into F class shooting

catnthehat
02-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Anybody thinking of getting into Fclass shooting?
That's long range , from 300 to 900 meters but from a rest or bipod on the ground, with a scoped rifle.
here's one that I used to own in 6mmBR, but I am contemplating selling my other one , it's in 308 WIN. and pretty well identical to this one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/catnthehat/DTODD6BRrs.jpg
It's a lot of fun, and was started by a fella named Farquarson to keep old guys shooting that could not shoot with irons at those distances anymore, but has morphed into a completely different sport!
You do not need a rifle like this however, there are several different categories, one for factory rifles, another for palma style cartridges and rifle weights, etc.
Cat

Marlin xl7
02-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Now tell me, what is a PALMA cartridge?

catnthehat
02-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Now tell me, what is a PALMA cartridge?
Palma cartridges are 7.65 Nato( 308 win.) with a 155 grain bullet.
At one time the Palma match was fired using military issued ammo, and in those days we used ammo from the DND.
About the same time the Government stepped in and started their crap with the firearms legislation, the practice of "Mexican match" ammo was allowed by the DCRA, which basicly means you took the issue stuff, pulled the factory milsurp bullet and re-seated a civvy match bullet on top!:)
Now, we have to supply our own ammo except in the World Championships - I may be wrong there however.
Palma, BTW, is shot prone with a sling and iron sights out to 900 meters.
The target is large, 60"for the outside, with a 10" bull.
Cat

Rockymtnx
02-24-2011, 01:18 AM
Since I have had a lot of computer time as of lately, I have been doing lots of reading on it and thought it would be pretty fun. I read one article the other day that mentioned F-Class as being "invented" here in Canada.
Cat, as you know I do quiet a bit of shooting on my own, and think this might be something right up my alley. Now if there were only enough hours in a day to get all these hobbies in.

catnthehat
02-24-2011, 06:42 AM
If In am not mistaken george Farquarson lived in Kamloops, but I may be wrong.
it's kinda funy, but I rememebr talking to sullijr about it when it first came out.
His father ( a long time irons shooting) tried it and gave up on it because he could understand the scope he figured.
Actually, he shot no better with the scope than his iron sighted Sportco, and neither did anybody else at the time!:confused:
It took a very long time for the scoped class rifles to catch up to the irons guns, but they have since surpassed them, and the Vbull has been made smaller now .
You should buy this gun Ricky, that way you could lay down and your bashed up body could rest!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

bingo1010
02-24-2011, 07:42 AM
david, did paul do the rear stock cheekpiece mod for you? or was it purchased that way? thanks. i have a friend with a palma savage that could use a mod like that.

catnthehat
02-24-2011, 08:43 AM
david, did paul do the rear stock cheekpiece mod for you? or was it purchased that way? thanks. i have a friend with a palma savage that could use a mod like that.

These rifles were an effort between Mick McPhee, Paul reibin, and Edd Begg, and all 6 ( 8maybe?) were built like this using Paul's butt stocks, yes.
Blackman has one in 6.5X284 as well, and this 6mmBR is now in Manitoba, it was an unreal shooer at 1K!
The 308 I have right at the moment s also very very accurate and will drop them all inot tinly little groups less than a Vbull if the shooter is up to it!

Paul did the palma/Fclass rifle for our raffle a few years back and his stocks are top shelf, BTW!:sHa_shakeshout:
here's a pic of that aprticular rifle.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/catnthehat/RPA.jpg

Cat

pikergolf
02-24-2011, 09:04 AM
What kind of rifle is that, reason I ask is that when I got back into hunting after 15 yrs out of it. I had always romanticized a single shot and had looked into buying one. I did some research and was lead to believe that a two piece stock was inherently inaccurate and as I hunt only coyotes I wanted a super accurate rifle so I bought a bolt.

Turns out I am not half the shot I remembered being, LOL so I bought a rimfire too, for practice.

catnthehat
02-24-2011, 09:20 AM
What kind of rifle is that, reason I ask is that when I got back into hunting after 15 yrs out of it. I had always romanticized a single shot and had looked into buying one. I did some research and was lead to believe that a two piece stock was inherently inaccurate and as I hunt only coyotes I wanted a super accurate rifle so I bought a bolt.

Turns out I am not half the shot I remembered being, LOL so I bought a rimfire too, for practice.
That rifle is a Ruger No.1, exctremely customised as it is!

The old rumour that two piece stocks ar einaccurate is just that , a rumour started by those who do not like them!
My 6mmBR Ruger No.1 just the other day fired more thsn one group that was less than 1/2" at 200 meters
The two Browniung single shot falling blocks that we built in 6.5WSM regularly shot shot groups into less than 6" at 1K, and I am sure that sulljr's Ruger No.1 would do it as well.
The green laminated rifle is also a single shot however, it is on an RPA action.
Cat

Marlin xl7
02-24-2011, 10:55 AM
So, what caliber would you recommend for long range shooting? I'm not to recoil sensitive, but don't like to get beat up. Also, What would you start with for a base rifle?

catnthehat
02-24-2011, 11:01 AM
So, what caliber would you recommend for long range shooting? I'm not to recoil sensitive, but don't like to get beat up. Also, What would you start with for a base rifle?
For long range match shooting, the 6.5's are the real 'flavour of the month"!

6.5X47, 6.5X55, and the the 260 Remigton are popular, low recoil, good long range capabilities for the bullets, etc.
However, the 308 is also a very good starter cartridge, although not so popular anymore.
The fact remains that a good shooter can whip everybody with a 308 if he is doping the wind better that day than the rest!:)
The .223 is still very popular as well, out to 600, and the little 6MMBR and the 6X47Lapua will getrdun as well.....
Cat

Marlin xl7
02-24-2011, 11:09 AM
how about a 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI?

Rod1960
02-24-2011, 11:12 AM

Hopefully not a stupid question, if a .223 works would a .22-250 as well?

catnthehat
02-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Hopefully not a stupid question, if a .223 works would a .22-250 as well?

Actually the 22/250 has won the world Fclass championsgips and the canadian as well as the American Championships.
Its biggest draw back is barrrel life, and unless a shooter is willing to re-barrel quite often, the bigger cased cartridges are not the way to go.
Most shooters are not into shootingthat much ,so opt for the aforementioed cases.
Cat

catnthehat
02-24-2011, 11:16 AM
how about a 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI?
Yup, but big case capacity is not what is needed here....
Cat

6.5x47 lapua
02-24-2011, 05:58 PM
cat,it would help if you give everyone a rundown on classes,rifle weights and restrictions,etc.also the hunter? class to introduce new shooters to the game with minimal equipment.

catnthehat
02-24-2011, 06:08 PM
This link is likely the best one to describe everything, because whenever I try to do it off the top of my head I forget stuff!:confused:
Also, you have to remeber that not all the clubs have a 900 meter range, so they adjust their rules accordingly
Cat
http://www.f-classinfo.com/

6.5x47 lapua
02-24-2011, 06:20 PM
This link is likely the best one to describe everything, because whenever I try to do it off the top of my head I forget stuff!:confused:
Also, you have to remeber that not all the clubs have a 900 meter range, so they adjust their rules accordingly
Cat
http://www.f-classinfo.com/

thanks cat,people need to realise you dont have to spend copious amounts of money on equipment and optics to go have fun!:)

hardy
02-24-2011, 07:15 PM
I think i saw that gun at the Calgary GunShow quite afew years ago and then tried to find out more about that forend online but to no avail. Am I correct?

QUOTE=catnthehat;844317]Anybody thinking of getting into Fclass shooting?
That's long range , from 300 to 900 meters but from a rest or bipod on the ground, with a scoped rifle.
here's one that I used to own in 6mmBR, but I am contemplating selling my other one , it's in 308 WIN. and pretty well identical to this one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/catnthehat/DTODD6BRrs.jpg
It's a lot of fun, and was started by a fella named Farquarson to keep old guys shooting that could not shoot with irons at those distances anymore, but has morphed into a completely different sport!
You do not need a rifle like this however, there are several different categories, one for factory rifles, another for palma style cartridges and rifle weights, etc.
Cat[/QUOTE]

catnthehat
02-24-2011, 07:21 PM
It may have been that one, in fact, yes, it was!
Paul Reibin had that rifle there IIRC.
Ed Begg had them put together 6 or 8 like this, I'm not sure how much work Ed did himself.
here's another, this one is in 308 and one that I presently own.
Cat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/catnthehat/rugerfclass1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/catnthehat/rugerfclass4.jpg

hardy
02-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Sweet I almost bought the first one at that show. Whats with the forend I guess it was custom built by Ed? Whats the purpose of it? It sure looks cool!

catnthehat
02-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Sweet I almost bought the first one at that show. Whats with the forend I guess it was custom built by Ed? Whats the purpose of it? It sure looks cool!

The Forend is machined from a solid block, and split, then screwed together.
It minimizes the barrel / hanger vibrations that plague the Rugers sometimes, and also has the rail for the bipod.
I could be talked out of the 308 for a price!:medium-smiley-035:
I have loaded lapua brass with match kings!:sHa_shakeshout:

hardy
02-24-2011, 07:42 PM
I would buy it if i could I just got a custom M40a1 replica built and my wallet is on the recovery plus i don't have a full time job at the moment. My buddy shot F-class last year and wants me to come try, I think ill go and check it out with my M40. Can you use a front rest instead of a bipod my rifle doesn't have studs? Or I might have to switch stocks?

The Forend is machined from a solid block, and split, then screwed together.
It minimizes the barrel / hanger vibrations that plague the Rugers sometimes, and also has the rail for the bipod.
I could be talked out of the 308 for a price!:medium-smiley-035:
I have loaded lapua brass with match kings!:sHa_shakeshout:

catnthehat
02-24-2011, 07:44 PM
I would buy it if i could I just got a custom M40a1 replica built and my wallet is on the recovery plus i don't have a full time job at the moment. My buddy shot F-class last year and wants me to come try, I think ill go and check it out with my M40. Can you use a front rest instead of a bipod my rifle doesn't have studs? Or I might have to switch stocks?

Yup, Bipods OR front rests are okay!:)
Cat

Rockymtnx
02-25-2011, 06:23 PM
You should buy this gun Rocky, that way you could lay down and your bashed up body could rest!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat
Now if I could just find a way to get out to my range an do some shooting.
I may have to get someone to come plow it off for me. ;)

wolf308
03-03-2011, 06:53 AM
im definatley interested in getting into f class shooting guys, once the range in rocky mountain house is up and running hope i run into all of ya and have some fun( and kick your asses at 900 meters.)LOL

catnthehat
03-03-2011, 08:13 AM
im definatley interested in getting into f class shooting guys, once the range in rocky mountain house is up and running hope i run into all of ya and have some fun( and kick your asses at 900 meters.)LOL
OOOoooh, trash talk- I LOVE IT!!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
As soon as you get set up, put up a notice, it won't be long before someone shows up to give you a hand and some pointers on the ins and outs of Fclass!:)
Cat

sullijr
03-03-2011, 10:36 AM

I'll be there.As said in "The Field of Dreams"if you build it they will come.

catnthehat
03-03-2011, 11:22 AM
I'll be there.As said in "The Field of Dreams"if you build it they will come.
Wolf308, I'm pretty good at doping a condition, which is the biggest variable in long range shooting, but when the real old time shooters like sullijr lay down beside your gun on the line and spot for you "Old School" there isn't a machine, meter, or ranging system in the WORLD that can give you the same experience!

Cat

Got Juice?
03-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Cat, you gotta take me shooting some day...

catnthehat
03-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Cat, you gotta take me shooting some day...

Maybe one day it'll happen!:)
However, if you get to Kamloops one weekend , lok up a few of the old guys like Mick McPhee or Paul Reibin, They have mor elong range experince in the otes than I do in my whole body!
Paul was shooting with my father and sullijr's father back in the old days when the .303 British was king!
Cat

Rockymtnx
03-03-2011, 08:39 PM
I just heard today that there is a pretty good shoot in Kamloops.
Anyone been to it?

wolf308
03-04-2011, 03:30 AM
stupid metric, it would just sound better if we all said 1000 yards. yeah id hope if i joined a club and we all got into f class shooting id learn some tricks of the trade , so far its just been me vs milk jugs at 1000. im pretty good at doping in too,sometimes i make the cold bore 1st round hit (less than 1/2)on them. but yeah the old timers would probably show me up. hey i got a question ,if we get doing this long range f class shoots is it calibre specific? only 308 win or can people bring their 338s LMs or 300/7mm magnums? 260s,6.5/284 etc etc. any rifle under 17 pounds right???

catnthehat
03-04-2011, 06:19 AM
stupid metric, it would just sound better if we all said 1000 yards. yeah id hope if i joined a club and we all got into f class shooting id learn some tricks of the trade , so far its just been me vs milk jugs at 1000. im pretty good at doping in too,sometimes i make the cold bore 1st round hit (less than 1/2)on them. but yeah the old timers would probably show me up. hey i got a question ,if we get doing this long range f class shoots is it calibre specific? only 308 win or can people bring their 338s LMs or 300/7mm magnums? 260s,6.5/284 etc etc. any rifle under 17 pounds right???

There are two divisions if F class - F/TR and F/open.
In F/TR you have to shoot either 223 or 308 and the gun must weigh no more than 8.25kgs.
In F/open you can have a rifle 10kg. in any caliber , but realize that there are many ranges that have a caliber restriction, at Connaught you cannot shoot a .338 or larger caliber.
Also no muzzle brakes are allowed in any sanctioned Fclass match.
A cold bore shot BTW means nothing in Fclass, except that you put the first round into the target .
You must be able to fire either 10 or 15 rounds ( depending on the match)
into a target for the highest score at the given distance you are shooting.

You also have to do this within a certain time limit, so sometimes you have to shoot through a condition , and this can get complicated.

Now, the big advantage that F class shooters have over 1,000 yard bench rest shooters is we use spotters and each shot is marked so we can plot the scores on a sheet as we shoot.
In 1,000 yard BR that is not possible because of the rules involved.
A friend who shoots at Williamsport PA., the home of the original 1,000 yard BR club, once had a 100 yard agg of right around 8" - 10 targets of ten rounds each AVERAGING 8" (( They shoot for grouop size as well as score).
In the World Championships that year his practise shots were perfect
( they zero at clays on the berm) , but when he went to shoot for score he misjudged something and his second shot went RIGHT OFF the target!!
HOLY CRAP!!! "Thanks for coming out!" was what came to my mind when he told e that!!!
So you see, one round doesn't mean much in the big picture as far as shooting well goes, except to wreck a score!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Cat

wolf308
03-04-2011, 09:55 AM
cool,thanx for the info,im covered my target rifle is you guessed it 308,but im building up another one in a bigger calibre so once i get proficient in that i could use that for the other type u mentioned.