PDA

View Full Version : Vibrating vs Rotating Tumblers

ShawnM
02-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Does anyone out there use a rotating tumbler for cleaning and polishing their brass? I have some good sized rotating tumblers from my lapidary work that would be great if I could use. I've noticed that all the tumblers for sale appear to be vibrating ones. In terms of lapidary work they are used for tumbling over rotating ones because of speed and they also let you retain the same general shape as the unpolished rocks had.

Anyone?

Gonehuntin'
02-24-2011, 11:27 AM
They work great.with good media walnut, corn cob, etc.

Phil
02-24-2011, 01:15 PM
I've used a Thumbler B for in excess of 30 years and other than replacing 1 belt I've never had an issue. I use corn cob for a tumbling media with a bit of Dillon's polish added.

I've never used a vibrating tumbler but from what I've read I suspect they are faster than the rotating thumbler, but they may not have as much capacity as the rotating tumbler, depending on the brand.

Phil

ShawnM
02-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Well I have two twelve pound rotating tumblers and one 2x3lb tumber so I imagine between them all I've got my tumbling needs covered :)

Do you add water to the media too? Or is it all done dry?

haffordite
02-24-2011, 06:54 PM
I have both styles. I perfer the vibrating cleaners because they appear to be faster and create brass with a shinier appearance but rotating tumblers work just fine. Like Phil, I have a Model B Thumbler Tumbler that has worked flawlessly for three decades. Its temporarily out of commission until I can get a new drive wheel. Tumbling material is available at any good sportstore.

sikwhiskey
02-25-2011, 12:21 AM
I haven't used tumblers for about 2 years. Bought a ultra sonic cleaner off Ebay, 5 liters of white vinager and some dish soap. Lube, neck size, deprime, into the cleaner for 15 min. rinse, dry, ( in the oven 2 200F if I'm in a hurry) and reload. Easy as that.

ShawnM
02-25-2011, 07:21 AM
I haven't used tumblers for about 2 years. Bought a ultra sonic cleaner off Ebay, 5 liters of white vinager and some dish soap. Lube, neck size, deprime, into the cleaner for 15 min. rinse, dry, ( in the oven 2 200F if I'm in a hurry) and reload. Easy as that.

I'm curious why you lube and then clean them? It seems that the vinegar bath would clean the lube off anyway.

I also have an ultra sonic cleaner for cleaning gems and such. Didn't really consider using it for the brass though. Does it give it a nice shine using the method you described?

Dmay
02-25-2011, 07:36 AM
Does anyone out there use a rotating tumbler for cleaning and polishing their brass? I have some good sized rotating tumblers from my lapidary work that would be great if I could use. I've noticed that all the tumblers for sale appear to be vibrating ones. In terms of lapidary work they are used for tumbling over rotating ones because of speed and they also let you retain the same general shape as the unpolished rocks had.

Anyone?

Rotary tumblers are what is needed to use stainless steel media. It seems to be the newest rage, and I have to admit it gives cleaner brass than anything I've ever done before. Would never return to vibrators and dry media.
FWIW

double gun
02-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Does anyone out there use a rotating tumbler for cleaning and polishing their brass? I have some good sized rotating tumblers from my lapidary work that would be great if I could use...

Rotary tumblers are what is needed to use stainless steel media. It seems to be the newest rage, and I have to admit it gives cleaner brass than anything I've ever done before. Would never return to vibrators and dry media.
FWIW

Dmay has it exactly right. I wish I could do it over... a tumbler with stainless pins, some soap and water will do a superior job to any vibrating machine. The stainless pins clean the inside of the case and primer pocket to "as new" finish, and dont leave any dust/polishing media inside the case. ShawnM, your lapidary tumblers are the cats azz. stainlesstumblingmedia.com sells the pins, and gives you directions.

Anyone what to buy a barely used Lyman vibrating cleaner, and all accessories? :bad_boys_20:

ShawnM
02-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Dmay has it exactly right. I wish I could do it over... a tumbler with stainless pins, some soap and water will do a superior job to any vibrating machine. The stainless pins clean the inside of the case and primer pocket to "as new" finish, and dont leave any dust/polishing media inside the case. ShawnM, your lapidary tumblers are the cats azz. stainlesstumblingmedia.com sells the pins, and gives you directions.

Anyone what to buy a barely used Lyman vibrating cleaner, and all accessories? :bad_boys_20:

I never use soap when cleaning anything that needs a residue free finish. Jet Dry works much better because it doesn't leave a residue on things. It's probably what I'll try for the brass.

Stainless steel pins are often used in the jewelry business for tumbling metal. If you cast or fabricate something you grind down all the high spots, brazing marks etc and then tumble it with some pins and it comes out with a nice finish. Some jewelers rouge and you've got a beautiful piece.

BTW I did make a few empty shells with no primers and polished them up with a rouge buff. I'm making key chains out of them for some friends.

double gun
02-25-2011, 10:11 AM
I never use soap when cleaning anything that needs a residue free finish. Jet Dry works much better because it doesn't leave a residue on things. It's probably what I'll try for the brass.

Stainless steel pins are often used in the jewelry business for tumbling metal. If you cast or fabricate something you grind down all the high spots, brazing marks etc and then tumble it with some pins and it comes out with a nice finish. Some jewelers rouge and you've got a beautiful piece.

BTW I did make a few empty shells with no primers and polished them up with a rouge buff. I'm making key chains out of them for some friends.

Perhaps I shopuldnt have called it soap, the additive is sold at the link I gave you.... I am sure you would have access to something similar in your line of work. Probably at a fraction of the cost.

ShawnM
02-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Perhaps I shopuldnt have called it soap, the additive is sold at the link I gave you.... I am sure you would have access to something similar in your line of work. Probably at a fraction of the cost.

Honestly I'm 90% sure what they are selling as their special additive is just dishwasher detergent. It's mostly just Borax and the same stuff Jet Dry has, with some chlorine etc.

Pick up some borax at Walmart and a big jug of jet dry and that is what I use for polishing metal in tumblers. Should work fine on brass with stainless media.

222rem
02-26-2011, 08:08 AM
There is nothing wrong with rotary tumblers use what you got :)but vibrating tumblers are faster.I would not run out to buy vibrating tumbler if you got perfectly good rotary tumbler .