PDA

View Full Version : primer cratering

fish_e_o
02-24-2011, 11:07 AM
loading for 204, in a rem 700 sps varmint with benchmark and 39gr sbk at low charge weights (20 gr) i was getting cratering without even the primer starting to flatten.

i disregarded it as a tolerance error around the firing pin and judged pressure off of primer flattening and velocity. i now have some really nice loads (25.3gr) that shoot awesome the primer isn't completely flattened but it's mostly flat. the bad news is that the primer still craters and flows back around the pin. i have shot lots of these and rolled a few coyotes with them too, i've never had a primer pierce or any other problems and the gun is very accurate.

should i fix it if it isn't broken?

fish_e_o
02-24-2011, 11:28 AM
round count is 65 with "cratered primers"

catnthehat
02-24-2011, 11:34 AM
round count is 65 with "cratered primers"

Sounds like a firing pin bushing issue to me.
I would worry about it if I were you.
One thing I would do, if you are not already, is switch to CCI BR primers, they have a tougher primer cup than most.....
Cat

Deer Hunter
02-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Google it. Lots of probs with oversize firing pin holes in Remingtons. You are not alone.

fish_e_o
02-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Google it. Lots of probs with oversize firing pin holes in Remingtons. You are not alone.
people say it's fine... how can that be good??? :mad0100: i knew i shouldn't have bought a remington, i knew they were junk before i bought it. but no, i can't pass up a deal...

and i called remington i guess "it's designed like that" :snapoutofit:

One thing I would do, if you are not already, is switch to CCI BR primers, they have a tougher primer cup than most.....
Cat
i should have listed that those are the primers i use. i don't know why i didn't..

catnthehat
02-24-2011, 12:09 PM
The factory stuff looks the same?
Cat

fish_e_o
02-24-2011, 12:13 PM
The factory stuff looks the same?
Cat

i've never shot any factory stuff in it. i only just got the gun at the beginning of the month. now if i can call enough and find someone to warranty it i'll have to send it away. maybe i'll just drill the face out and weld in a chunk of high carbon steel and machine it flat again to save myself the trouble

fish_e_o
02-24-2011, 12:49 PM
i guess sloppy tolerances are desirable for some people. i'll never own another and i'm strongly considering going back to remington with all my rifles and telling them to take them back.

they wouldn't do a thing about it to spite numerous calls. i was told that "it wasn't creating a problem" and "it's designed that way". if it was browning/tikka/sako this problem would have been resolved in 10 seconds if it happened at all.

i even told them i buy a lot of guns and shoot a ton and i've never seen this before. they basically told me to take my oversize firing pin hole and well put it somewhere. i would think a guy who bought 36 guns last year is a guy you want to have on your side:mad:

very mad... but rant over... i'll have to fix it myself, this and the horrible trigger.

catnthehat
02-24-2011, 12:53 PM
i guess sloppy tolerances are desirable for some people. i'll never own another and i'm strongly considering going back to remington with all my rifles and telling them to take them back.

they wouldn't do a thing about it to spite numerous calls. i was told that "it wasn't creating a problem" and "it's designed that way". if it was browning/tikka/sako this problem would have been resolved in 10 seconds if it happened at all.

i even told them i buy a lot of guns and shoot a ton and i've never seen this before. they basically told me to take my oversize firing pin hole and well put it somewhere. i would think a guy who bought 36 guns last year is a guy you want to have on your side:mad:

very mad... but rant over... i'll have to fix it myself, this and the horrible trigger.

Maybe send it to Cudstom Gunworx and get Bob to bush it and do the trigger?
Cat

fish_e_o
02-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Maybe send it to Cudstom Gunworx and get Bob to bush it and do the trigger?
Cat
i did some measuring of a primer it flows back 0.015" and the pin is 0.042" smaller than the hole. he said i'd probably be fine to shoot it as it is, some cratering is acceptable but the hole is to the point where i should be concerned.

it might be cheaper to buy a new gun than try to make this one into the gun i want...
$80 to put a trigger in plus the trigger $150
$150 for a whole new bolt plus fitting
$130 to bed the action (might as well do it if it's there)
plus shipping
and then lost time looking for coyotes and gophers...

i only payed $530 for the gun and it's $510 to work it and it'll still be clunky to cycle the bolt

i talked to bob and i think i'll make a new firing pin for it to fit the bigger hole. it seems to be the easiest option and cheapest. he talked me through disassembling the bolt and what i need to do to make a new pin.