PDA

View Full Version : Best Home Insurance Provider with reasonable rates?

Homesteader
02-24-2011, 11:32 AM
So I recently got my new Home Insurance premium in the mail, no shocker that it's gone up again, but it's enough that I'm shopping for new ones. I currently use TD Insurance for everything, cars, atvs, Home, and cabin. This year my increase on the house is 20% from last year. I called them, and unless I want to lower my coverage they are standing pat on the increase.

So lets hear from everyone on here, who thinks they have a good home insurance provider. I realize that cheaper often isn't better, but the increase is certainly motivating me to look elsewhere.

Rod1960
02-24-2011, 11:47 AM
I get an employee discount through work for TD and they are still more expensive than Johnson for the same coverage.

http://www.johnson.ca/

HunterDave
02-24-2011, 12:40 PM
I try to visit www.kanetix.ca every year just before renewal time just to see what it'd cost me elsewhere. Some people might argue that it's better to stay with the same company year after year (Loyalty and all that) but when it comes to dollars and cents I chose the $ route over the "They'll be better because you've been with them longer" route. I don't believe that you'll be treated any differently if you've been with them 1 year or 40 years but that's just my opinion and not based on any experience.

Like anything else, shopping around could save you some hard earned $$$$.

Phil
02-24-2011, 12:58 PM
As a member of the Alberta Fish and Game Assoc I receive a Group discount rate through

Allied Insurance Services Ltd

9418 118 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T5G 0N6

780-474-8006

At renewal time I generally check a couple of rates and so far nobody has beaten Allied's rates. I ensure my house, trailer and all vehicles with them. They have placed my policies with Novex Insurance which I believe is the Group portion of ING.

I also have a Group discount rate through work with TD Insurance and they have never come close to the rates I get from Allied.

I will try HunterDave's link the next time I am checking rates. Thanks Dave.

Phil

tackleberry
02-24-2011, 01:03 PM
My family, myself and my business all deal with Lijdsman Insurance. You can call them at 403-664-3637. Ask for Paul or Spencer.

They will be happy to give you a quote and coverage options.

If you ever have to use your policy, there is no one better to look after you than these guys. Truly, top notch customer and claims service.

pikergolf
02-24-2011, 01:31 PM
I would call an independent broker and go over a few companies with them. If you go through a broker they will make sure your comparing apples to apples. Companies deviate from each other on a lot of little things, so there might be a reason one company is 200 dollars cheaper than another.

madatter
02-24-2011, 02:58 PM
My family, myself and my business all deal with Lijdsman Insurance. You can call them at 403-664-3637. Ask for Paul or Spencer.

They will be happy to give you a quote and coverage options.

If you ever have to use your policy, there is no one better to look after you than these guys. Truly, top notch customer and claims service.

Okay you must be a transplant from that area......grew up down the street from Paul....
Don't do business with them tho as I never get back there.

HunterDave
02-24-2011, 04:26 PM
At renewal time I generally check a couple of rates and so far nobody has beaten Allied's rates. I ensure my house, trailer and all vehicles with them. They have placed my policies with Novex Insurance which I believe is the Group portion of ING.
Phil

To be quite honest with you I don't know who my policies are with. I think that my house, vehicles and boat are with one, my trailer with another and my sled with yet another. It's probably easier to insure everything with one company but not necessarily cheaper, as is the case with me.

Funny that you should mention NOVEX. My sled insurance policy is with them and I currently have an ongoing claim for the total loss of my sled. I'm dealing with Intact Ins though so the best that I can figure is: ING/NOVEX/INTACT Ins.

winged1
02-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Mine is up as well. You can shop around, but be aware it's a bit like the credit industry, if your changing carriers, they put a little mark beside your name.

Homesteader
04-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Update, wound up staying with TD, I made lots of calls, and couldn't find it cheaper. Thanks for all the info.