PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Prince Rupert: how big a boat needed?

boku
02-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Just like to ask for some input on this from guys who have been there.

I have read through most of the threads relating to fishing PR and from what I hear it can be pretty rough at Dundas and the other prime salmon areas.

My 2 sons and I are planning a trip the first week of July and we are thinking of taking son #2's boat, a 17' Lund with 115 horse motor, set up for fishing the prairie potholes.

Son #1 lives in Victoria and we have used his 14' with a 35 horse motor out of Sooke the past 3 summers and are pretty happy with our results - always watch the weather and head in early if the wind comes up.

We have done charters in Sooke, Port Renfrew, Tofino and Langara, which is to say we feel we know a bit about how to catch fish, but we have never fished out of Rupert and I am just wondering about the boat size.

River fishing is also a possibility for us. There would be no problem with the Lund on a river.

Some on here have also said you can fish closer in if it gets rough.

So any suggestions and info on where to go out of Rupert in a smaller boat will be much appreciated - either by posting a reply or by a pm.

Boku

K44
02-24-2011, 01:32 PM
I've fished Rupert in my 20' jetboat you just have to watch the weather it can get real bad but on those days you can fish the Skeena

boku
02-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Forgot to ask in my original post - how long/far is the run out to Dundas area from Rupert? I can get some idea off of Google Maps, but it never hurts to ask.

bardfromedson
02-24-2011, 01:55 PM
im looking into the same thing right now. im also looking at fishing the douglas channell out of kitimat. looks pretty protected. i will be out there in june. just watch the weather and fish the river if it looks windy that day.

fishpro
02-24-2011, 02:11 PM
I fished Prince Rupert with my grandfather a few times in a 16 foot boat with a 45 hp motor, so you should be fine with your boat. We did not venture out to Dundas Island on any of our trips as we chose to stay closer to the main land. We spent our fishing time around Lucy Islands the first two years we went out. In this area we were able to catch plenty of salmon as well as some halibut up to about 60 lbs.

On our third trip we had a 19 foot boat with a 115 hp motor and went out to the next set of islands. You would likely be able to make it out there in your boat, but I am not sure. We found that there were higher numbers of salmon here, but Lucy Islands provided us with great fishing as well.

If you do decide to venture out to the further islands, or especially if you go to Dundas I would recommend that you take gear to spend a night or two on land if you need to. There is some open ocean to worry about crossing and if the wind comes up you would be better off waiting it out than trying to brave the elements.

Lastly, please do not consider only what you read from myself or others here but go into the main tackle shop in town and get some information from them. They will know the ocean much better and what is safe for you and your boat, plus they will be able to provide you with up to date information regarding where the best fishing is at the time.

Feel free to send me a pm if you need anymore info.

Jwood 456
02-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Forgot to ask in my original post - how long/far is the run out to Dundas area from Rupert? I can get some idea off of Google Maps, but it never hurts to ask.

Dundas island is about 45 to 50km away from Prince Rupert according to my magellan mapsend topo computer program.

Jamie
02-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Boku.

Your question had me phone out to Rupert and read your post directly to my Head guide.

I am afraid his response was not all that favourable. Though he and I appreciate the sense of adventure.

In his words he said he would only fish the Harbour in that boat. It's a bit of a run out across open water in that type of boat. He was also concerned about your lack of local knowledge. (Rocks, Sandbars ect ect). It's not always "Can you make it" but it's "can you make it back".

From a lodge owners perspective we are in the process of putting together a emergency package that would allow our guests to stay out at those far flung places in case we cant get them back. Not that I see it as a issue, but it’s better to be prepared than to make a run that isnt safe. I am sure my boats can handle it, and I know I have the experienced guides that have the knowledge, but still it's a good idea to have a plan "B" if necessary.

We can put you onto a few Hali holes in harbour if you wish.

As to the river, he said most guys are using jets due to the amount of rocks/logs that are there. He also said that due to the amount of snowfall this year, the rivers are going to be filled with logs.

Feel free to get in touch if I can be of any further help.

Jamie

boku
02-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Jamie,

Thanks so much. I appreciate you making a call on our behalf. This is exactly why I am asking. And I wish you all the best on your new lodge.

Appreciate all the feedback I am getting.

As usual, the guys on this board are GRREEAATTTT!

Boku

BigRock
02-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Boko

I would not be as hard on your boat as the fishing guide but what I will say is this. Fishing in PR is big water and its the ocean so you need a good bit of safety gear to add to that boat if you were to go (Marine Radio good wet weather gear, Floater jackets, Down riggers). I am a very experinenced boater I fish the west coast every year. I have a 42' Trawler Yacht and I pull a 17' center console that I use for fishing. I have a costal skippers ticket and lots of time on the water.

I towed my small boat up to PR two years ago with my son, my boat is equipped with everything I need for Salmon fishing on the ocean including two GPS units with one that has the entire west coast marine charts on it. I also brought the paper charts for the area because of the detail. I stopped at the Coast Guard station to ask questions about local hazards etc and had a very good talk with the man in charge. he did a courtesy check of my boat and told me that I was well equipped but make sure I watch the weather closely and he recomended that I not venture out further than Lucy Island unless the weather was perfect and the ocean was a mill pond.

In five days I did get out to Lucy twice and had fun fishing the rest of the days were just to rough for me to venture out of protected water. So I got two days of real fishing and three days of sitting around.

I think PR is a great place to fish but for the money you will spend on a trip and the possibility of not getting out to where the fish are. Hire a guide for a couple of days and you will have fun get lots of fish and will likely get out every day.

I am a die hard fisherman but the coast guard in PR will tell you they pull Albertans out of the water every year that try and get out in small boats when they should have stayed at the dock.

With your boat you may want to try Port Hardy in at the end of July or in August, there is plenty of good spots close in and if the weather gets bad you can get back to sheltered water quickly. If you go in July the Coho will still be open. You can keep an eye on the BC Fishing reports and plenty of people post conditions. You can always call the local tackle shop or the marina and they will tell you how the fishing is.

Another good thing about Hardy is can trailer your boat over to winter Harbour on some days and get decent fishing in protected water the coho are open all year and you get a change of scenery. The crabing is awsome there as well.

Good Luck

Big Rock

boku
02-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks Big Rock.

Appreciate all this info. Will talk to my sons.

Boku

skidderman
02-25-2011, 12:46 AM
I was out to Dundas once in a 20' boat with cabin and 250 hp engine with a guide. I've been on the ocean a few times but this is one I wouldn't try no matter how big the fish are. What will you do if fog closes in or you hit a log which is very possible. Took a rogue wave on the way back that went over the boat and caused my wife to fall on the floor. As far as the Skeena goes it's jetboat or kiss your rear good bye, if you have time to do that. There are few locals that go small outboard in the Skeena but it seems crazy to me. I did it for 7 years with a 20' jetboat and even with that the Skeena is nothing to play with. Be safe and hire a guide with his boat and you will live to tell about it. I know some will say I'm totally wrong, either they don't know what they are talking about or don't care about life. It's your choice, don't risk your life over a stupid fish!!!!

DOGFISH
02-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Have a guide take you out if you want to go outside the harbour. We have been doing it for six years with two different boats. 1 is a 25' with a 250 hp and the 2nd is a 28' with twin 150 hp. We have had some pretty nasty rides but no close calls or issues. The 2 guides we use every year are awesome. Personally I would not do it any other way, these guys always put us on the fish and limit us out and there is eight of us.

50/50
02-25-2011, 05:35 AM
I have been living my summers in Dodge cove (p.r) for the past 10 years . My first boat out there was a 17' lund fisherman se c/w 130 hp. I never had any problems getting out to Dundas or edie channel. Fuel tank size was always an issue. Cut a piece of plywood to cover that open bow, water will crush that little tarp.You will get waves come over the front .

what you need the most of is time. Out of a 3 day trip. 1 day will be wind cancelled. maybe all 3 . If you have only 2-3 days to fish ... go charter for sure. If you have a full week, your boat is fine, but you will not go fishing every day and will catch fewer fish.

There are many places to " hide" and wait out the wind. Know where these are before you go out, (eg welcome harbour for the south.) You cannot just beach your boat anywhere you like , rocks, swells and tide make this impossible .

The run to Dundas is about 12-14 Km of open water before you get to the south end of Melville island. Once there it is mainly protected to go north or west to lelu island.

On every sunny day there is morning fog especially during the month of fogust and radar is very handy . There are always boats going 30 mph in the fog.

GPS with electronic charts are a must as well as a handheld back up gps.

Fishing out of Rupert is weather dependent and I have turned around many times or not gone out at all.

I would not hesitate to go out with a 17' boat, but I'm also willing to cut the day short or even turn around and wait till the next day.

Good luck

tacklerunner
02-25-2011, 07:20 AM
x 2 on the fog. Water and weather conditions are one thing but you must be experienced, have proper electronics and know the area. Fog on the other hand can sneak up on you instantly. There's been many a time on the coast where we'd be fighting a fish and concentrating on getting it in the boat only to look up and lose sight of land because of fog. It's a scary feeling and makes your heart drop to your knees; and we run a 21 foot Reinell.

So I think the bottom line is don't do anything you're uncomfortable with. Don't take chances. Be aware of your surroundings at all times and be properly equipped and you will be safe. Ask locally where you should go to get into fish safely and confidently under the conditions at the time.

Be safe..Good Luck...Have fun

TR

Jwood 456
02-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Hi, I don't want to hijack the thread or start a redundant thread, so I was wondering how a 21ft to 23ft bayliner trophy would do around prince Rupert. I and my old man are looking into getting a 21ft, or 23ft bayliner trophy to halibut and salmon fish prince rupert. Most of them already come equipped with safety electronics.

Jamie
02-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Jwood.
Now you are talking about a boat that will work. The 21 foot is not bullet proof, but it will do.

Once again though, local knowledge is everything. Ocean knowledge is everything. Perhaps a good idea for your group is to hire a guide to come with you on the first trip. He could act as a bit of a teacher over the 3-4 days.

Good luck
Jamie

Scott h
02-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Your lund will work great around that area if the weather cooperates. Make sure you check with the environment canada (marine) website or have a radio for weather/wind . Their forecasts are very good, especially for short term (same day). Keep in mind that the tides change predictably and that their is a lot of difference between a 12knt wind going with or against the tide.
The fishing can run hot and cold in the Rupert area. If it's slow you can pull your boat onto the ferry and fish with it on the Charlottes (8 hr ferry ride).

boku
02-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Again, thanks everyone.

Not to hijack my own thread, but have any of you fished out of Kitamat in the river and out in the Douglas Channel?

Looking at the map, this may be a safer place for taking a 17'.

Boku

50/50
02-25-2011, 06:38 PM
No problem with the 21-23 ' Trophy out of Rupert .... There's probably 10-15 of that model that go out every day ... closed bow and self bailing = no problem [B]now the rest depends on the captain of that boat...

I see many Ab. boats out there every summer.... some go far ...some are "scared" to go out at all .... be a smart boater ...do your homework ...

experienced boaters usually have no problems ...

eskimo
02-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Ive fished the Kitimat, we used a drift boat for the majority of the week. Then when our arms were ready to fall of from rowing we used a jetboat to fish the mouth. If i remember correctly you are only allowed to run a power boat about 5km upriver from the salt chuck. Great place, great fish!

Scott h
02-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Fished out of Kitimat once. We did not check the weather or use any common sense. We were in a 17 foot fiberglass and the wind was coming straight down the channel. What a sh-t show that was! Waves coming over the windshield :scared0015:
Could not get off that water fast enough.
The river on the other hand is great (but busy at peak times) and the channel from what I've heard can be very good if you hit the runs right.

DuckBrat
02-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Are there any dangers where the skeena meets the ocean?? I seem to remember a gent telling us about some issues with vertical rips where fresh water meets the salt? True or false??

Fishhunter
02-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Your boat is fine to go there ,it is best if tou can take 2 boats but that may not be an option,i have taken a 17' foot aroliner out there several times it has been just fine,it does have a closed bow and is a deep boat,but no match for what the ocean can dish out .If you stay close like out at lucy i think you will be pleased with the fishing. we troll the east side for salmon and jig the north side drop for butts and bottom fish and always seem to catch decent salmon and halibut.Biggest salmon 30lbs hlibut 65lbs all from around lucy.There is a tackle shop in town that prints out marine weather reports,listen to that report and you will be fine.team up with another group on a nice day then head to dundas but i dont recomend going that far solo.

Thefisherman
02-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I have fished Rupert and Kitimat probably a dozen times started with a 18' Jet boat and now with a 20' jet boat. I would say if the cohos are there you shouldn't have much problem since you don't have to go all over the place to find them. You should be good in either places if you watch the weather. And also i would make sure you have a gps with a map card for that area because it can be really foggy. And at least if you get weathered out you can fish the river.

Sundancefisher
02-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Just like to ask for some input on this from guys who have been there.

I have read through most of the threads relating to fishing PR and from what I hear it can be pretty rough at Dundas and the other prime salmon areas.

My 2 sons and I are planning a trip the first week of July and we are thinking of taking son #2's boat, a 17' Lund with 115 horse motor, set up for fishing the prairie potholes.

Son #1 lives in Victoria and we have used his 14' with a 35 horse motor out of Sooke the past 3 summers and are pretty happy with our results - always watch the weather and head in early if the wind comes up.

We have done charters in Sooke, Port Renfrew, Tofino and Langara, which is to say we feel we know a bit about how to catch fish, but we have never fished out of Rupert and I am just wondering about the boat size.

River fishing is also a possibility for us. There would be no problem with the Lund on a river.

Some on here have also said you can fish closer in if it gets rough.

So any suggestions and info on where to go out of Rupert in a smaller boat will be much appreciated - either by posting a reply or by a pm.

Boku

How high are the sides? That is what I feel is the biggest difference between lake boats and ocean boats. Much higher sides for ocean boats. There are many different things to worry about boating in the ocean versus lakes. Take it easy and be overly cautious until you have some more experience. The biggest problem I have seen is guys motoring along with the swell and chop then killing the motor too quickly. The wash and the chop/swell compound and swamp the boat from behind.

Take a nautical map with you along with a GPS. NO amount of experience can protect you from sudden fog. Fog can roll in faster than you can outrun it sometimes. Be vigilant. If caught in the fog...stay close to a safe shore and wait it out or call for help getting back. Never try to find your way back by feel..

boku
02-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Fisherman,

Thanks for your input. Looking to gather all the local info we can.

I see you run jet boats. My son has an outboard and several have said we should stay away from the river because of logs, deadheads, sand bars, etc.

What is your take on that? It sounds like guys in the river with outboards get in trouble.

Others have also mentioned currents.

Boku

Thefisherman
03-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Yeh i wouldn't run any of the rivers with a prop you can fish them from shore though. Right when your leaving terrace theres a spot to walk down to the river that lots of people fish just down river from where the kalum hits the skeena. They were catching good there last year. We were backbouncing from the boat on the otherside and they caught quite a few. Another good place to go is the work channel, been in there a couple times. Some years there is a floating lodge that you can stay at just before it hits the open ocean only about 1km from indianhead which is a good salmon spot and theres lots of little halibut in the sand flats there. Otherwise you gotta camp at the end of it and run out 40km to the good fishing. Its usually calm till you get to the ocean. Kitimat is really good when the fish are at the mouth of the river you don't have to run far at all. Rupert can be tricky if you've never been there. I had gone for 5 years with a guide before i started taking my boat out. Any other questions just ask.

bardfromedson
03-01-2011, 08:33 PM
has anyone fished the kitimat mouth with a prop boat on here? I was watching sportfishing bc and they were backtrolling the lower reaches of the kitimat with plugs and hammering the tyees. wondering how far up the river i can fish with my kicker and electric. i am hoping to get my 17ft boat out there with me when i go for 2 weeks in june. also hoping to bring a canoe and do some drift fishing down the river. hopefully the kitimat and douglas are producing or i may try my luck out of rupert as well.

Thefisherman
03-02-2011, 09:12 AM
has anyone fished the kitimat mouth with a prop boat on here? I was watching sportfishing bc and they were backtrolling the lower reaches of the kitimat with plugs and hammering the tyees. wondering how far up the river i can fish with my kicker and electric. i am hoping to get my 17ft boat out there with me when i go for 2 weeks in june. also hoping to bring a canoe and do some drift fishing down the river. hopefully the kitimat and douglas are producing or i may try my luck out of rupert as well.

You can't get to the river with a prop, where its hits the ocean there is a pile of logs and braided channels. It is even tricky getting up there in a jet boat if you don't know where to run.

Skybuster
03-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Hey Boku. I have a bit of experience with both areas, both with a charter and with my own boat. First point, I always get more fish with a charter. And I don't have to worry about safety issues. The guide does that.

But I get more satisfaction doing it myself. I have been out of Rupert in a 17' Boston Whaler, but as mentioned by some earlier - stay close. We didn't go up to Dundas, we only went as far as Lucy Island and around it. When we were out the wind picked up a bit we had three foot waves (bottom to top) The Whaler flew across them at 20 knots. But much more than that and I would be worried. I would not be comfortable taking that boat up to Dundas, others might.

I have also fished the Douglas Channel, but this has always been in a larger boat. Currently a 23.5' Trophy. The main reason is it is a long way to the outer portion where we like to fish so we stay out there for a few days, thus we need a larger boat to sleep on. However one of the nice things about Douglas Channel is that on windier days you can still find protected fishing spots. And for overnighting we really like anchoring at the hot springs in Bishop Bay. Not sure how fast your boat is but there are fishing spots not too far out on the Douglas Channel. The channel itself can get too choppy for either of our boats so keep an eye on the weather. But that holds for any time you go out on the ocean. Ignore the weather to your peril. Check long range, check short range and fish with one eye to the skies and one ear on the radio.

When are you guys planning a trip? Maybe we'll see each other out there.

Tight Lines.

boku
03-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks, Skybuster. Very helpful.

We are planning the first full week of July, 3 - 9.

Skybuster
03-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Dang, that's too bad. I have a trip planned for the week ahead of you. Coming home on July 1. Not sure if we'll do Rupert or Kitimat yet, but leaning toward Rupert and staying at a hotel, going out for dayfishing.

At any rate good luck with your trip. You should catch the tail end of the big springs in either spot. Just fish where all the other boats are, and listen to the radio.

Serengeti Charters
03-03-2011, 11:03 PM
I can't waittttt for fishing season....you guys will be into lots of fish I'm sure :)

Jamie...tempted to start a salmon fishing 2011 thread but will let you have honours my friend ;)

spopadyn
03-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi boku,

Most of the advice has been real sound. I have fished the PR area for about 9 years in a row - to be honest, a 17' Lund on any part of the ocean is just risky. That being said, there is one safe place where you could fish for the salmon without taking a big risk. If you look on a map, there is a channel known as work channel just north of PR. There is a logging road with a boat launch right at the end of it. If you launch in work channel and travel up it by boat, there is a small bay just before the end (known as trail bay). This water (although ocean) is much like a lake - never more then 6 inch swells. It can be busy with many small boats - but the salmon are there. (I have personally hauled a 39lb chinnook out of there). So, if you decide you are taking your boat to fish in PR anyways, this is the one safe area you can do it.

I am not encouraging you - just giving you a bit of knowledge I have learned over the past few years. Good luck.

Skybuster
03-04-2011, 12:30 PM
I have never been in Work Channel, but I have heard it is very good fishing. However I have also heard that the road in is a nightmare. Do you know if it has been cleaned up?

boku
03-04-2011, 04:45 PM
spopadyne - thanks for the input.

I have been looking at Work Channel. Where specifically is the boat ramp?
Is it at the south end off of Work Channel Road,that goes north off of Hwy 16 just before it gets to Hecate Strait about 40 km east of Rupert?

If I am right on this then we would launch the boat and run up the channel, which looks to be about a 40 km run.

And I am also wondering if any one knows what the condition of the road is. [my son drives a 4X4]

And, does any one know if there are any facilities (fuel, lodging, food) up near the mouth. Somewhere I read there was a lodge-on-a-barge in that area.

diesel fixer
03-04-2011, 07:46 PM
There was a barge up there 2 seasons ago but when we went up there last year it wasn't there. If you do go, if things get boring you can go out to the mouth and usually see whales feeding there. We sat last year and watched and at one point there was 12 orcas and close to 100 eagles all feeding. The eagles sit up in the trees and wait for any wounded or half eaten salmon to float up to the top. It was amazing to see the orcas too they would take turns and sit in the current just on the edge and feed on all the fish that were getting blown out of the channel. We fish a 24ft trophy hardtop and the current is strong enough when the tide goes out that our 9.9kicker just holds us in place when it's wide open throttle.
We also have had good luck out at squatteree too which isn't much further out than Lucy island. Between the work, Lucy and squatteree there is easily a weeks worth of excellent fishing and if you can make it to dundas island on a good day that's a bonus

diesel fixer
03-04-2011, 08:37 PM
The barge contact is oceanwild 12506278682 or email. Oceanwild@citytel.net