PDA

View Full Version : Reply to my daughters ad

TBark
02-24-2011, 04:04 PM
My daughter advertised her car last night, and she had had a few replies, here is the one reply in particular, I know sellers can be scams, but can a buyer be a scammer too ? Any red flags with this reply she got ?

"" Thanks for the swift response...due to nature of my job i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement with the pics and i am satisfied with it.. I will be glad if you can mail me the present condition with the full price as well..

As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal).

I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included. My private courier agent will come for the pick up and sign all necessary documents on my behalf after the payment have been made, as they will also be coming with all the information needed, my details and transferring the name of ownership to me will be done by the pick up agent so you don't have to worry about that...

You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal

account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com.and sign up. its very easy.I await your reply asap."

Thanks ""

What do you guys think ?

TBark

TheClash
02-24-2011, 04:07 PM
hmmm..I would not allow pick up until I knew for sure the money had been sent and it was actually in my account or better yet in my account and then in my hands.

I do not know if there are any legal aspects to a courier picking up the car??

FishingMOM
02-24-2011, 04:11 PM
RUN the other direction

CASH OR NO SALE

geo
02-24-2011, 04:28 PM
CASH OR NO SALE

The only terms for any deal with someone you don't know...

Don't waste your time with this character. Unless your daughter is selling a Aston Martin and some globaltreking millionaire is interested because it's one of a select 1964 product line in mint condition, I wouldn't believe this at all.

No one sends an agent to buy a 2005 Corolla or whatever. Come on, there are hundreds on the market, why would this guy go through this effort to get one.

Don't even reply to this guy.

dmckay
02-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Something doesn't look right with that. Maybe you could check the buyer out with paypal first, but I would stick to a cash sale. These scammers are getting too smart these days.

I don't want to get into nitpicking, but the spelling and grammar tells me the message is coming from one of the places that are well known for these cons.

Okotokian
02-24-2011, 04:35 PM
scam-a-roni

Doesn't say he is from in town or out of town. Gives reason for not coming by as "I work long hours". Will have an agent coming by? Sounds like a real high roller. Your daughter selling her Ferrari? ;)

Just write back and say that instead of paypal his "Agent" can just bring a bank draft or cash.

Albertadiver
02-24-2011, 04:36 PM
It's a very standard scam. Just delete and move on.

Big Bull
02-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Typical scam. Most people selling vehicles, quads, etc. on Craig's List will get a variation of this email. Cash and in person is the only way to go. Where was the vehicle listed? Was the buyer in Nigeria?:)

tbosch
02-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Had this same thing when selling my wifes car. Huge scam. Theyve figured a way to retract payment with paypal and also create fake money order which will clear initially then when they are deposited they are flagged. I turned over all contact info to RCMP and they told me this scam is getting big.

THey will also overpay you with a fake money order then ask you to send the difference back to them. After the withdrawal is done the moneyorder comes up as a fake and you're out the difference you send back to them.

winged1
02-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Scambini, don't waste any time on this one.

chewydog
02-24-2011, 04:43 PM
It's a very standard scam. Just delete and move on.

I placed an ad for selling my son's quad, this was a few years ago! I got a reply from a guy out East, he said he was mailing me a check for the right amount plus shipping. When the shipper stopped by to pick up the quad I was to pay him the extra cash. Any flags??? I got the cheque, it was a payroll cheque from a company out east. I called them and yes the cheques were stolen and no they were of no value. I guy even had the never to call me and ask what the hold up was, I told him the cheque needed to clear, I never went to the bank, I called the cops, mailed the cheque back to the company out east!!!

Could have been costly!!

Okotokian
02-24-2011, 04:44 PM
You could have some fun with him though... play along. Make him work a little before you say "We decided to take the car off the market. Sorry and thanks." ;)

45/70/500
02-24-2011, 04:45 PM
agent picks up the car pay pal hangs onto the money till buyer is satisfied which happens on the tenth of never paypal is a load of crap

sinawalli
02-24-2011, 04:58 PM
My daughter advertised her car last night, and she had had a few replies, here is the one reply in particular, I know sellers can be scams, but can a buyer be a scammer too ? Any red flags with this reply she got ?

"" Thanks for the swift response...due to nature of my job i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement with the pics and i am satisfied with it.. I will be glad if you can mail me the present condition with the full price as well..

As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal).

I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included. My private courier agent will come for the pick up and sign all necessary documents on my behalf after the payment have been made, as they will also be coming with all the information needed, my details and transferring the name of ownership to me will be done by the pick up agent so you don't have to worry about that...

You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal

account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com.and sign up. its very easy.I await your reply asap."

Thanks ""

What do you guys think ?

TBark

WOW!! Is that Kijjii? I work with a girl who is selling her motorbike, and she got pretty much the same email!! Saide he would pay her exactly what she wanted for the bike (unseen), plus an extra $1000 to pay the "shipping company". He was working in south Africa! She pretty much told him to pound sand. I wanted to have some fun with it, but she wouldn't let me!! This is a scam!!

T-Bone
02-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Scam!!!Looks like a duck Quacks like duck Hmm..Cash is king

Okotokian
02-24-2011, 05:28 PM
WOW!! Is that Kijjii? I work with a girl who is selling her motorbike, and she got pretty much the same email!! Saide he would pay her exactly what she wanted for the bike (unseen), plus an extra $1000 to pay the "shipping company". He was working in south Africa! She pretty much told him to pound sand. I wanted to have some fun with it, but she wouldn't let me!! This is a scam!!

All necessary, because it's SO hard to find and purchase a motorbike in the third world LOL

ghostguy6
02-24-2011, 05:46 PM
You write him back and ask for his paypal email address so you can send him an invoice. Tell him its the first time youve sold a car and you want to make sure everything is properly in order. Once you get his email forward it along to paypal with a copy of the email you posted above. If you can set up a paypal account and have him send the funds but refuse them once they arrive. Wait for the him to email you back and then insist you accepted the payment but you never got them. If he resends the funds keep refusing them and insist your " accepting them" Ask him to file a claim with Paypal as to why the funds arent going through. Once he does Paypal will come down on him hard.

If you get his email could you pm it to me so I can do a bit of a background check on this guy.

Huntnut
02-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Tell them when their friend comes to pick it up they can bring a certified cheque or bank draft.

honker_clonker
02-24-2011, 05:47 PM
I got a message like that when I was selling my car. Something along the lines of " I am a officer in the navy and I'm at sea right now... want to get the car for a wedding present for my wife... send the courrier... same sort of story more dressed up. Pursued them to meet with cash and did not hear a thing since. Done believe it.

HunterDave
02-24-2011, 06:34 PM
It's easy to tell that there's something up with the reply but here is how the scam works:

DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK IN THE EMAIL!!! It will take you somewhere that looks like Paypal but it is not! When you enter your user name and password they are the ones that get that information and then they clean you out!

HunterDave
02-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Tell them when their friend comes to pick it up they can bring a certified cheque or bank draft.

Don't accept those either unless you go to the bank with the person and see them actually get it. There's allot of fake paper out there so you should always wait until cheques/drafts clear the bank before handing anything over.

LongBomber
02-24-2011, 07:11 PM
A woman that I work with got the EXACT same email 2 weeks ago when she was selling her ford focus. She did not follow it up either. Forget it it's BOGUS...

Young Eldon
02-24-2011, 07:49 PM
I doubt an agent can transfer a vehicle registration for someone else here in Alberta either. When I bought a trailer in both my wife's and my names. I think we both had to be there in person to reregister it.:)

hardy
02-24-2011, 08:02 PM
South Africa isn't third world at least Jo-berg isn't. Ive been there, although bikes were about 30 grand for a yammy R1!

All necessary, because it's SO hard to find and purchase a motorbike in the third world LOL

HunterDave
02-24-2011, 08:07 PM
South Africa isn't third world at least Jo-berg isn't. Ive been there, although bikes were about 30 grand for a yammy R1!

They're cheaper in Nigeria. :evilgrin:

decker
02-24-2011, 08:42 PM
I agree with everyone it's a Scam. I use to sell hay off the farm and I had a situation where a guy from Vancouver was going to buy 5000 bales off me for horse hay sight unseen. I can't remember how he wanted to arrange payment but I wouldn't sell unless he came and looked at it first, he never showed up.

Alberta Bigbore
02-24-2011, 09:36 PM
That sure does set off more than one bell. delete

Photoplex
02-24-2011, 09:39 PM
The other way this scam is used is that they send money to your paypal account, from an account they have illegally gained access to, as a way of bleeding that account dry without compromising themselves. You become the mule.

There are several variations on the theme after this point - ways to get the money into their hands, whilst leaving you facing legal and financial problems.

Fisherpeak
02-25-2011, 06:13 AM
No sane and honest person buys a vehicle sight unseen.

gitrdun
02-25-2011, 06:58 AM
Definetely a scam, I've heard of so many with the same undertones. Amazing what some people will dream of to seperate you from your hard earned money or belongings instead of getting an honest job. The concensus here is "stay way from it".

Twisted Canuck
02-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Wow, sounds like an eager buyer with cash in hand, ready to deal.....I'd jump all over that.:thinking-006:

Or not.

HIBACKPACKER
02-25-2011, 07:51 AM
I had one almost word for word on my pick up that I had it listed on Kijiji. Takes all kinds.

Wolf Medicine
02-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Avoiding these things is simple. If it sounds to good to be true. Or is written by A three year old from India. Then guess what it's shady. If you interact with anyone A little it becomes obvious... Sorry thing is it has destroyed some of my favorite things.. Like I used to buy the Bargain Finder every week, Cause you just never knew what you could come up with.... Now..... Just use it as A reference for e-mails of scammers. Has destroyed that one and their on-line is worse.

WM.

sco22
02-25-2011, 09:58 AM
I got one of these when I was selling some stuff on Kijiji. It is clearly a scam as others here have said. My little twist on it was to have the fellow come pick the stuff up at my buddy's house since I wasn't going to be home. My buddy's house was the address of the Sherwood Park RCMP. He was supposed to arrive with a "bank draft" for the amount plus some extra. . .Funny thing is he never showed up.

Cheers.

southunter
02-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Oh I like that idea of giving them the RCMP address. Not only is it funny it puts the scammers out of some time and money to check out the address. I would recommend that to everyone!

bridger2010
02-25-2011, 05:52 PM

I wouldn't count on either of these.... there are lots of people faking these as well.

doetracks
02-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Scam.

superduper9
02-26-2011, 12:24 AM
I was selling a car for my sister a few months back because she moved to England and she left it with me to sell so I listed it on Kijiji and here is some of the responses I received. I kinda played around with the last guy for a bit and never heard another thing from these crooks again.

First email from Vero,
Hi, I will like to know if the this vehicle is still available for sale.What is the asking price. I will like to see some pictures too. Thanks.

My Response:
Yes the car is still available. I am asking $7500. I have attached some pictures.
Thanks

Second E mail from Vero

Hi,
Thanks for your email. I agree with the price and I'm please the condition of the vehicle. I will be paying via PayPal and my pickup agent will come and pick the car after you have confirmed the payment. I’ll also want you to take off advertisement to be sure you are selling the car to me.

I am a biologist and I'm in the ship right now. I will not be able to call you and inspect the car but i am much please with the description of the car and I believe I can trust you with that. Kindly send me PayPal money request so that I can transfer your money asap and my agent will come and pick the car once the money clear.
Let me know if this okay.

I will be expecting your email.
Vero

My Response:

I am sorry Vero I am not interested in dealing with Paypal, if you would like the car have your AGENT bring a valid money order or certified Cheque.
Thanks

Buyer # 2
First E mail from Larry Smith:

hello is your item still available.

My Response:

I still have the civic if you are still interested.
T

Second E mail from Larry:

Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it now for my dad
and i am not in town at the moment as i am a Military been in camp in
for some time and due to the nature of my work, It hard to make a
phone calls and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out
time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really
want it to be a surprise for my dad so i wont let him know anything
about it until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more
than happy with it. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access
to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can
pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i
will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so
i can make the payments asap for it and please if you don't have paypal
account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get
it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address
you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I
have a pick up agent that will come and pick it after i have made the
payments...

My Response:

Sorry Larry I am not interested in dealing with paypal or any of that internet banking. I am going to sell the car to someone who is willing to come and see the car, drive it and give me a certified cheque or money order for the asking price and I will sign over the bill of sales.

Thanks

First E mail from Dale Wall:

Hello Seller, How are you doing? I hope the above ad is still up for sale...If Yes Kindly get back at me with your final asking price..... and will as well appreciate any recent pics of the car Dale

My Response:

Dale,
We still have the car for sale. Let me know when you would like to come and test drive it and have a closer look. I have attached more pics.
Thanks

Second E mail from Dale:

Thanks for the prompt response,the price is okay by me,I am ready to buy it now as a Birthday gift for my Dad and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise for Dad so i wont let him know anything about the car until it gets delivered to him,i am sure he will be more than happy with the car. I Would be making payments via PayPal....I insisted on PayPal because I don't have access to my bank account online as I don't have internet banking, but I can pay from my PayPal account, as I have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address and the price so I can make the payments asap for the car and Meanwhile if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to WWW.PayPal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up of the car after I have made the payments.

Cheers...

My Response:

Hi Dale,

Wow this is fricken amazing I have a fellow by the name of Larry Smith with the same story who is also interested in the car, maybe you two clowns work together. If you read below his response is rather similar to your sob story, all you jack-ass's are buying the car for your loved one's, wow what a bunch of generous guys. Like ****** I am stupid enough to give you bunch of *****s my paypal info.
What ever happened to the honest man that will come and look at a car, drive it and jew me down a couple hundred bucks and we both leave happy.
PS
Tell Larry I said hi.
Now **** off and find some other sucker and steal their money.

Kingfisher
02-26-2011, 02:29 AM
scam-a-roni

Doesn't say he is from in town or out of town. Gives reason for not coming by as "I work long hours". Will have an agent coming by? Sounds like a real high roller. Your daughter selling her Ferrari? ;)

Just write back and say that instead of paypal his "Agent" can just bring a bank draft or cash.

Do not under any circumstance take a bank draft. The company I work for got scammed for $100,000 a few years ago when a person bought a large generator and used a bank draft to pay for it. Turned out they were buying (stealing) the generator for a grow-op in BC. They used a counterfeit bank draft and hit the road with the generator. We got the generator back last year after the grow-op was busted north of Kamloops BC.

So stick with cash.

Rob

doetracks
02-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Just another note on these guys:

Think about how YOU would respond to an ad. Would YOU ask "it the item is still available"? I've found that's a sure sign of a scammer.

ALSO not that if you respond to these people, you're opening your email address up to more scams. I have had to block several little blue pill ads and "I need your urgent assistance" emails since I responded to a couple. Learned the hard way..

It's fun to play with these idiots but I'm not interested in having the email server work overtime filtering spam :fighting0030:

kinwahkly
02-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Dont FALL FOR THAT ONE, ITS A SCAM FOR SURE.

npbra
02-26-2011, 10:14 AM
No sane and honest person buys a vehicle sight unseen.

Untrue, I have bought four vehicles sight unseen and have not been unhappy with any of them. Talk to the seller, get pictures and if it feels good, it probably is.

billie
02-26-2011, 11:55 AM
For anyone that is not aware, almost every digital picture taken with a GPS camera (think smartphone) has the location attached to the picture. This means that your stuff for sale may very well have its location posted also.

There are programs available to read and delete this information. One easy way is to print the picture to a PDF and use that instead.

flygirrl
02-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Had the same e-mail sent to me last year for a boat.. Ha ha ha.... told them to pound sand:sHa_shakeshout:

Justanotherbuck2
02-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Remember pay pal is a secure method of payment with your registered credit card number on their site, BUT....they have a grievance procedure as does your credit card company, so as soon as they have your merchandise they launch a grievance the card company returns their money and you are out both cash and merchandise. Visa allows grievances for up to one year and mastercard two years just because of fraudulent use. I have been stung a couple of times by clients paying their bills over the phone by card and then a few months later telling their card company that they did not authorize the transaction. Its done electronically they remove the funds from my business account and without a signed credit card receipt we are powerless to counter the claim. We have to do business in this manner or be out of business. For many reasons our clients cannot always be on-site to pay their bill, so a telephone transaction takes place, Likely 15% percent of our service work is conducted and paid for this way. There is a scammer for everything!:mad3:

raised by wolves
02-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Sounds like something is off. Paypal alone is a scam. Extra costs can be added or even payment retracted.

denpacc
02-26-2011, 08:48 PM
So for those who only use cash (ie. no bank drafts), how do you purchase something that is pricey? Do you drop $20-30K in 20's, 50's, or 100 dollar bills on the sellers lap/table? Do the bank employees look at you funny when you ask for $30K in cash? Just curious what the "cash only" people do on large summed purchases. After a certain amount, say $1500, I usually pay with a bank draft. If someone asked me to pay cash only for their $30000 truck, I'd think they are off their rocker. Just sayin'.

ÜberFly
02-26-2011, 09:10 PM
REALLY!!

Not cool! Not cool at all!!

"and jew me down a couple hundred bucks"

dumoulin
02-26-2011, 10:34 PM
If you took the time to post this question, this means that you have goods doubts that this may be a scam. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I would not chance it...may be this is fate telling you :snapoutofit:

DuckBrat
02-26-2011, 10:39 PM
I had the exact (word for word) same email for my truck 3 months ago. The guy bailed out after I asked some questions. Stay away from these deals. Sad that we see these scams so prominent in our society. Can't trust a lot of folks these days.

TBark
02-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Good replies, thanks.
She got another reply, same sort. Should have fun with this one, to a point.
Turns out these guys are from abroad, but makes you wonder, would they actually pick up the car ? Or pay someone to do so ?
And the Paypal thing, apparently they do deposit, but they then get you tied up in charge-back claims or the Ppal acct was set up with a stoled Ccard.
And would you car title be transferred in the mean time ?
Scam for sure, but just to think about how they get away with it.

TBark

Okotokian
02-28-2011, 01:50 PM

oh it's third world. Closest countries to it in therms of Gross national income per capita are Brazil, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan. Botswana and Lebanon are richer. ;)

FlyFishFairwx
02-28-2011, 02:02 PM
SCAM without a doubt!!!!

My wife was selling a sewing machine and they tried the same thing on her, she strung them along for about 3 months.. Then said she sold it to a friend..