PDA

View Full Version : 25-06 recoil

Browning hunter
02-25-2011, 07:25 AM
I am looking for a gun for my wife; she has shot my 7 mm mag and does not enjoy shooting it (recoil). I would like to get her a gun that she enjoys taking to the range and will also be her big game hunting rifle (deer). Possible candidates are 243, 7mm 08 and 308 calibers; would the 25-06 also fit into this category as well?

To make life even more difficult if has to be a left handed bolt action with a wood stock, eye appealing and about 9 other non shooting requirments.

rottie
02-25-2011, 08:21 AM
I have used the .243,.308, 7x57 wich is much the same s the 7-08 and the 25-06. Hands down favorite is the 25-06,with 100 vgrain bullets recoil is light making it a pleasure to shoot. The .243 will recoil the least of the guns listed but in my experience its not as likely to give complete pass throughs on larger game at longer yardages.

Another couple to look at might be a 6.5x55 or a .257 roberts

Hope some of this helps

Ian

bowhunter9841
02-25-2011, 08:26 AM
I've never shot a 25-06 but I would have to say they would probably fall in the same category! I shoot a .308! I love it! Recoil is minimal, and the shells are inexpensive, and are readily available almost anywhere you go. That only matters I guess if you're shooting factory loads like I do! Wholesale sports sells the federal blues for 18 bucks a box! I plan on getting a 243 one of these days too! Hoping to use it for my kids when they get old enough! Good luck in your search!

bagwan
02-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Consider buying a Pro Hunter. That way if you're a righty you can also use it. Wife loves it as the feel was a lot better as it may be a better LOP for her. She uses 270 but I'm going to let her use a 7-08 this spring. Prairie Gun in Avonlea Sask had some good prices about a month ago.

300-510
02-25-2011, 09:01 AM
The recoil on my dads weatherby 25-06 is super minimal.I would look at the 308 lots of ammo choices,maybe even managed recoil rounds.

NBFK
02-25-2011, 09:27 AM
I bought my wife a 7mm-08 in a savage and put a limbsaver recoil pad on it. She has shot 5 deer with it and shoots it well. My dad has a tikka 25-06 with a limbsaver on it and that gun kicks even less. I havnt shot a 308 but have been told the recoil is more than a 7mm-08. The reason I went with the 7mm-08 was because of the heavier bullet selection over the 25-06 for moose and elk. The 25-06 is a very capable cartridge as well. Personally I think a 243 makes a good varmit gun.

Rayzor
02-25-2011, 09:45 AM
I have a 308, 243 and 25-06. The 308 is a lever action Browning and with my handloads, I find it has a significant recoil in comparison with the other two rifles. My 243 is a Savage bolt and the recoil is very manageable. Both my daughter and son (10 yrs old) shoot that rifle with no issues. My 25-06 is a ProHunter with a Sims recoil pad. It's recoil is very manageable as my now 11 year old son, shoots it and will be using it this fall. The 243 is adequate for deer and makes an excellent varmint rifle with lighter bullets. The 308, although not considered very potent by many, has taken many moose around here. I have yet to harvest anything with the 25-06, but I am confident that it will also get the job done on moose sized game and it will make an excellent deer rifle. One thing to note, I've put a Limb Saver recoil pad on my 300 Wim mag, my 270 WSM and my 450 Marlin; this recoil pad is incredible. The felt recoil has been reduced significanty on all three rifles. It's soft construction takes the sharpness out of the recoil and allows me to shoot that nasty 450 several times (used to be five times max!) without the use of additional padding. You may want to consider trying one on your 7 MM before buying a new rifle. If you are still in the hunt for a new rifle, my first choice to meet your criteria would be the 25-06. Rayzor

saddleup
02-25-2011, 10:05 AM
i too have a 7mm, wife shot it a few times, too much recoil so i kept the 7mm and we got a weatherby vanguard 25-06, i reload so keep loads down, she really likes it , minimal recoil, nice shooter..i have also used it for yotes.. loaded down to 75gr. vmax hornady... great to 300+ yds i think its a fine choice for a lady, and i have used it myself for a couple elk, and deer... 120 gr.. hope info helps

bigoldan43
02-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Guys & recoil, what a discussion! Almost like asking what caliber is best. No right answer.
There is a direct relation between bullet weight, bullet velocity, amount of propellant and rifle weight.
Big tough guys that can catch a hockey puck with their teeth and not even chip a tooth tell you get a 6 pound 308, it won't kick.
Well, if someone is recoil sensitive, it will too. Sharply and painfully. She won't admit it, but you'll find she'll always have something more important to do than go to the range with you. You won't be able to sell her rifle because she likes it, but 20 years later, you'll still have it sitting in the safe. Been there, done that, still have the rifles.
Pick a rifle with some heft. 7 1/2 pounds without scope. She may not be able to stand off hand, depending on her size and strength, but there's always something to lean on to shoot.
Get a decent recoil pad. Limbsaver or Decelerator.
Short action. 243 or 260.
Enough power and energy for most common ranges on most common sized animals. If she gets proficient enough to shoot larger game at ranges beyond what a 243 or 260 are capable of, she'll also be proficient enough to cheerfully use a more powerful rifle.
I have found 308's to have significant recoil. Enough that most women and smaller people don't care to shoot them much.
I would also bet anyone who says a light 308 doesn't kick is tough enough, that if you was to kick them in the shin, you wouldn't even get their attention, let alone hurt them.

NBFK
02-25-2011, 10:38 AM
That dosnt make any sense buy her a bench gun so that she will have arm fatigue trying to handle. Most likely you will have to get a bipod making her shoot prone because of the guns weight. Like others said get a limbsaver.and felt recoil is a lot less and it will tame those big kicking mules like the 7mm-08 or the 25-06 lol. My wifes gun is 6.5 pounds not scoped. We picked a light gun so she could handle it safely without dropping it or shooting herself in the foot because that's where the 8lb gun will be pointed.

Marlin xl7
02-25-2011, 10:48 AM
How about the 270Win or 270WSM? My marlin XL7 in 270Win weighs in at abut 8 pounds, and with there recoil pad it doesn't kick bad at all, im also shooting 150gr bullets. I have the synthetic model so the heavier wood model would recoil less. Depending on your price range I would look at the Browning A-Bolt Hunter that WSS has on sale right now,get it in 270WSM and shes set for everything if she wants to hunt everything. I have shot the 270WSM out of a savage package rifle, the recoil was equal, if not less than my 270. Very nice to shoot.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/firearms/bolt-action-rifles/a-bolt-hunter-left-hand/prod188152.html

Dark Horn
02-25-2011, 11:03 AM
I don't know about all calibres but i do recommend a limbsaver. Have one on my 7mm mag and got one for a friends 270wsm and they make a world of difference. My wife currently uses a Tikka T3 Lite 243 and has no problems with recoil. Says shooting critters is alot different than at the range though. Two friends use 25-06 and not being very big ladies handle them without problem. Another option would be a brake. A lady friend has a Browning 270 with BOSS and although quite loud very light recoil. There are many things to consider when talking recoil. Bullet weight, speed, gun weight, design, pad, and shooter tolerance. You could shoot two different guns of the same cal and they feel totally different.

Dark Horn
02-25-2011, 11:09 AM
How about the 270Win or 270WSM? My marlin XL7 in 270Win weighs in at abut 8 pounds, and with there recoil pad it doesn't kick bad at all, im also shooting 150gr bullets. I have the synthetic model so the heavier wood model would recoil less. Depending on your price range I would look at the Browning A-Bolt Hunter that WSS has on sale right now,get it in 270WSM and shes set for everything if she wants to hunt everything. I have shot the 270WSM out of a savage package rifle, the recoil was equal, if not less than my 270. Very nice to shoot.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/firearms/bolt-action-rifles/a-bolt-hunter-left-hand/prod188152.html

My buddy has a Ruger Syn in 270wsm. Quite sharp and painful. After 15 shots he was done. Got him the limbsaver pad and no problem now. It was much worse than my 7mm mag but i haven't shot it with the new pad so dont know now. Also shot a T3 hunter 270 and found it to be a lot sharper than my weatherby 270. I would be careful when looking at those if for someone who is a little more sensitive. Great calibre though.

Marlin xl7
02-25-2011, 11:30 AM
My buddy has a Ruger Syn in 270wsm. Quite sharp and painful. After 15 shots he was done. Got him the limbsaver pad and no problem now. It was much worse than my 7mm mag but i haven't shot it with the new pad so dont know now. Also shot a T3 hunter 270 and found it to be a lot sharper than my weatherby 270. I would be careful when looking at those if for someone who is a little more sensitive. Great calibre though.

I could be how the rifles fit as well. I'm 15, 5'11 and about 160lbs, I can handle my dads 7mmRM pretty easily all day, but it fits me right. My 270 also fits me right and has a great recoil pad. I know a guy who owned a Ruger M77 mk2, with the manlicher stock, in 243 it kicked as hard as my 270. I started out using a Ruger M77 in 257 Roberts, it's a GREAT deer cartridge, all the deer I shot with it were bang flops. I then moved up to the 270, no recoil problems switching over.

rugatika
02-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Never owned one...but one thing I noticed is that they often come with an extra 2" on the barrel for whatever reason. Makes for less muzzle blast which can be a contributing factor to "unpleasantness" to shoot as well.

coyotekiller
02-25-2011, 01:06 PM
i have a 25-06. it has a little bit of recoil. its a excellent deer gun. it can take a moose/elk but may be not enough gun for it

Traps
02-25-2011, 06:03 PM
With a comparable rifle the 7mm-08 will recoil about the same but the 7mm offers you way more options and versatility.

NBFK
02-25-2011, 06:43 PM
With a comparable rifle the 7mm-08 will recoil about the same but the 7mm offers you way more options and versatility.

Not even comparable for recoil my 7mm remington kicked way more than my 08. My 7 was comparable to my 300 win

Traps
02-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Not even comparable for recoil my 7mm remington kicked way more than my 08. My 7 was comparable to my 300 win

The comparison is the 7mm-08 as it compares to the 25-06. Who said anything about the 7 mm rem mag?
:snapoutofit:

NBFK
02-25-2011, 09:23 PM
i miss read that bad hahaha I re-read and it makes sense now. I thought you were referring to a 7mm mag having more bullet selection over the 7mm-08 .::snapoutofit:

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
02-26-2011, 02:28 AM
I love these kinds of threads.

I can't tell you how many times I have read about the "Recoil Sensitive" or "The Wife" who requires a lighter recoiling rifle, and then we hear about all the very good and very effective rounds available, and also often the comments of "Wife shoots VERY accurately" due to reduced recoil, and kills game cleanly.

then I think about other threads where some guys who NEED to shoot a Eargasplitn Loudenboomer cause the extra 35 yds with no hold over at 425yds means the difference between meat and tag soup....

does anyone else see the paradox here?

Judging by what I have read, I have to assume that Women are much better hunters and much better shots than Men!

CNP
02-26-2011, 02:55 AM
I love these kinds of threads.

I can't tell you how many times I have read about the "Recoil Sensitive" or "The Wife" who requires a lighter recoiling rifle, and then we hear about all the very good and very effective rounds available, and also often the comments of "Wife shoots VERY accurately" due to reduced recoil, and kills game cleanly.

then I think about other threads where some guys who NEED to shoot a Eargasplitn Loudenboomer cause the extra 35 yds with no hold over at 425yds means the difference between meat and tag soup....

does anyone else see the paradox here?

Judging by what I have read, I have to assume that Women are much better hunters and much better shots than Men!

Despite that......a rifle of a given weight and a given calibre/round will produce an expected recoil. The OP just wants some confirmation. If she isn't hauling a camp on her back along with her rifle then she probably shouldn't buy the lightest rifle of any calibre. Buy a heavier, not the heaviest rifle, of any calibre and the recoil will be lighter than that of a lighter rifle of the same calibre/round. A light .308 firing 180 grs with a poor recoil pad will discourage her from firing a second round through it. I would stay clear of the .308 for her. A heavier 25.06 firing 100 or 120 grs with a good recoil pad would be an excellent choice for deer. I'm anti magnum and anti .30 cal. 708 and 25.06 are my go to rifles.

ditch donkey
02-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Consider buying a Pro Hunter. That way if you're a righty you can also use it. Wife loves it as the feel was a lot better as it may be a better LOP for her. She uses 270 but I'm going to let her use a 7-08 this spring. Prairie Gun in Avonlea Sask had some good prices about a month ago.

Another vote for the Pro hunter!

I have one in 25-06, and love it. Allegedly the stock is made to absorb 60% of recoil, I don't know if it's that effective, but with the limbsaver pad it comes with, recoil is very mild.

Now I'm not saying to buy a rifle because of the recoil pad, you can buy one later and put it on, but I think it fits your list of requirements quite well.
- can be fired left or right hand
- appealing to the eye
- very mild recoil
- because of the interchangeable barrels, if she does find the 25-06 is too much, you can sell it and try a .243. Barrels are around $400 new.
- very accurate firearm

Traps
02-26-2011, 10:30 AM
I'll second the prohunter, I have one in the 7mm-08. In the prohunter you are gettting 280 performance out of the 7mm-08 with the four extra inches of barrel. That gives you "man" performance from a "womens" rifle and should be enough to satisfy any hunters requirements.

Pathfinder76
02-26-2011, 10:35 AM
In the prohunter you are gettting 280 performance out of the 7mm-08.

There's a gem. :scared:

catnthehat
02-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Soooo, that means he gets 7mag performance out of the 280 in a pro-hunter??!!:scared:
Cat

Traps
02-26-2011, 10:54 AM

Huckleberry your a gem....LOL.

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
02-26-2011, 11:15 AM
then I get 270Weatherby out of my Ruger 1B?

:sHa_shakeshout:

Traps
02-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Soooo, that means he gets 7mag performance out of the 280 in a pro-hunter??!!:scared:
Cat

IF your comparing 24" vs 28" yes. There is about a 140 fps difference between the 280 and the 7mm rem mag in equivalent barrels. Take an average of 25 fps on the low end of the spectrum it will be within 40 fps, bump that up to 30 fps and you have a 20 fps difference.

Supporting evidence:

The Remington Catalog 2003 includes a "Centerfire Rifle Velocity Vs. Barrel Length" table that shows the following velocity changes for barrels shorter or longer than the test barrel length:

MV 2000-2500 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 10 fps.
MV 2500-3000 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 20 fps.
MV 3000-3500 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 30 fps.
MV 3500-4000 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 40 fps.

The 45th Edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook also has a table showing Center Fire Rifle Velocity Vs. Barrel Length. Their figures apply to barrels between 20 and 26 inches in length and agree with the Remington figures. The Lyman table shows the following approximate velocity changes:

For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 1000-2000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 5 fps.
For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 2001-2500 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 10 fps.
For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 2501-3000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 20 fps.
For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 3001-3500 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 30 fps.
For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 3501-4000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 40 fps.

The 43rd edition of the Lyman reloading Handbook gave some concrete examples of velocity loss for specific calibers and loads. The Lyman technicians chronographed some high velocity cartridges in rifles with barrels ranging in length from 26 inches down to 22 inches with the following results:

The average loss for the .243 Win./100 grain bullet was 29 fps per inch.
The average loss for the .264 Win. Mag./140 grain bullet was 32 fps per inch.
The average loss for the .300 H&H Mag./220 grain bullet was 25 fps per inch.

For standard high intensity cartridges in the same test, the Lyman technicians chronographed the cartridges in barrel lengths ranging in length from 24 inches down to 20 inches with the following results:

The average loss for the .270 Win./130 grain bullet was 37 fps per inch.
The average loss for the .270 Win./150 grain bullet was 32 fps per inch.
The average loss for the .300 Sav./180 grain bullet was 17 fps per inch.
The average loss for the .30-06/180 grain bullet was 15 fps per inch.
The average loss for the .35 Rem./200 grain bullet was 11 fps per inch.

http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/October05.htm

Add to that the chronographed loads I ran in the 7mm-08.

Do Remington, Lyman, or my chronographed loads need to say more?

catnthehat
02-26-2011, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=Traps;847106]IF your comparing 24" vs 28" yes. There is about a 140 fps difference between the 280 and the 7mm rem mag in equivalent barrels. Take an average of 25 fps on the low end of the spectrum it will be within 40 fps, bump that up to 30 fps and you have a 20 fps difference.
So compare the same barrel lengths, you can get many rifles with bareels the same length or longer than the TC.
Cat

Traps
02-26-2011, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=Traps;847106]IF your comparing 24" vs 28" yes. There is about a 140 fps difference between the 280 and the 7mm rem mag in equivalent barrels. Take an average of 25 fps on the low end of the spectrum it will be within 40 fps, bump that up to 30 fps and you have a 20 fps difference.
So compare the same barrel lengths, you can get many rifles with bareels the same length or longer than the TC.
Cat

Using that logic what overall gun length do you want in a hunting rig? The prohunter OAL with a 28" barrel is 42". To acheive the same OAL in a Rem model 700 CDL you'd have to cut the barrel down to 21.5". Alternatively if you wanted to put a 28" tube on a Rem 700 CDL the OAL would be 48.5". Lets keep this discussion to practical hunting rigs.

Pathfinder76
02-26-2011, 12:24 PM
IF your comparing 24" vs 28" yes. There is about a 140 fps difference between the 280 and the 7mm rem mag in equivalent barrels. Take an average of 25 fps on the low end of the spectrum it will be within 40 fps, bump that up to 30 fps and you have a 20 fps difference.

Supporting evidence:

The Remington Catalog 2003 includes a "Centerfire Rifle Velocity Vs. Barrel Length" table that shows the following velocity changes for barrels shorter or longer than the test barrel length:

MV 2000-2500 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 10 fps.
MV 2500-3000 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 20 fps.
MV 3000-3500 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 30 fps.
MV 3500-4000 fps, the approximate change in MV per 1" change in barrel length is 40 fps.

The 45th Edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook also has a table showing Center Fire Rifle Velocity Vs. Barrel Length. Their figures apply to barrels between 20 and 26 inches in length and agree with the Remington figures. The Lyman table shows the following approximate velocity changes:

For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 1000-2000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 5 fps.
For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 2001-2500 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 10 fps.
For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 2501-3000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 20 fps.
For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 3001-3500 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 30 fps.
For rifles with muzzle velocities in the 3501-4000 fps range, the change in velocity for each 1" change in barrel length is 40 fps.

The 43rd edition of the Lyman reloading Handbook gave some concrete examples of velocity loss for specific calibers and loads. The Lyman technicians chronographed some high velocity cartridges in rifles with barrels ranging in length from 26 inches down to 22 inches with the following results:

The average loss for the .243 Win./100 grain bullet was 29 fps per inch.
The average loss for the .264 Win. Mag./140 grain bullet was 32 fps per inch.
The average loss for the .300 H&H Mag./220 grain bullet was 25 fps per inch.

For standard high intensity cartridges in the same test, the Lyman technicians chronographed the cartridges in barrel lengths ranging in length from 24 inches down to 20 inches with the following results:

The average loss for the .270 Win./130 grain bullet was 37 fps per inch.
The average loss for the .270 Win./150 grain bullet was 32 fps per inch.
The average loss for the .300 Sav./180 grain bullet was 17 fps per inch.
The average loss for the .30-06/180 grain bullet was 15 fps per inch.
The average loss for the .35 Rem./200 grain bullet was 11 fps per inch.

http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/October05.htm

Add to that the chronographed loads I ran in the 7mm-08.

Do Remington, Lyman, or my chronographed loads need to say more?

This is all well and good, but you're comparing apples to pomegranates.

Pathfinder76
02-26-2011, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=catnthehat;847143]

Using that logic what overall gun length do you want in a hunting rig? The prohunter OAL with a 28" barrel is 42". To acheive the same OAL in a Rem model 700 CDL you'd have to cut the barrel down to 21.5". Alternatively if you wanted to put a 28" tube on a Rem 700 CDL the OAL would be 48.5". Lets keep this discussion to practical hunting rigs.

A 22" barreled 280, all things being equal, will always outperform a 22" barreled 7-08 and a 22" 7mm Rem Mag will outperform them both. Pick your platform. It doesn't matter.

Traps
02-26-2011, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=Traps;847166]

A 22" barreled 280, all things being equal, will always outperform a 22" barreled 280 and a 22" 7mm Rem Mag will outperform them both. Pick your platform. It doesn't matter.

The expression of the day......there's a gem. If your going to be a pimple on a horses arse at least get it right. LOL.

catnthehat
02-26-2011, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=catnthehat;847143]

I hunt with single shot falling blocks and break actions for the most part , so trying to convince me that a 28" barrelled falling block is shorter in OAL than a bolt action anything chambered in the same cartridge is preaching to the choir.

I do have friends who will not be swayed however, and still like a 26" barrelled long action bolt gun, however.
Myself, I would not step outside with one.
Cat

Pathfinder76
02-26-2011, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=chuck;847181]

The expression of the day......there's a gem. If your going to be a pimple on a horses arse at least get it right. LOL.

Stupid does fluster me.

Traps
02-26-2011, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=Traps;847166]

I hunt with single shot falling blocks and break actions for the most part , so trying to convince me that a 28" barrelled falling block is shorter in OAL than a bolt action anything chambered in the same cartridge is preaching to the choir.

I do have friends who will not be swayed however, and still like a 26" barrelled long action bolt gun, however.
Myself, I would not step outside with one.
Cat

Who said anything about a falling block? Cat we are talking about a break action TC. Pay attention man.

Traps
02-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Chuck your flustered because you've embarrassed the man you consider yourself to be.

Way to go back and correct yourself, it saves face.

catnthehat
02-26-2011, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=catnthehat;847194]

Who said anything about a falling block? Cat we are talking about a break action TC. Pay attention man.

falling block, break action, they all fall into the shorter category as far as I am concerned that allow longer barrels and retain a shorter OAL, not just the TC ....
Cat

mudbug
02-26-2011, 06:10 PM
I am looking for a gun for my wife; she has shot my 7 mm mag and does not enjoy shooting it (recoil). I would like to get her a gun that she enjoys taking to the range and will also be her big game hunting rifle (deer). Possible candidates are 243, 7mm 08 and 308 calibers; would the 25-06 also fit into this category as well?

To make life even more difficult if has to be a left handed bolt action with a wood stock, eye appealing and about 9 other non shooting requirments.

A Ruger # 1 comes to mind with those requirments in the calibre of your choice :)

CNP
02-26-2011, 06:26 PM

A Ruger # 1 comes to mind with those requirments in the calibre of your choice :)

Ruger # 1 with a left handed bolt? :)

Pathfinder76
02-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Chuck your flustered because you've embarrassed the man you consider yourself to be.

Way to go back and correct yourself, it saves face.

I can blame it on a typo. What's your excuse?

timsesink
02-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Right now I'm in love with the Ruger No.1's I'd love one in 2506 or 257 wby but trying to find a lightweight one is near impossible, get a 25-06 a 7mm Rm and a 375 Ruger and you're good to go for snything anywhere! Gret discussion guys!

Traps
02-26-2011, 07:14 PM
The TC encore has a 28" barrel with a 42" OAL
A medium sporter ruger #1 has a 26" barrel with a 42.5" OAL

Side by side the TC still beats the ruger #1 for being compact by 2 1/2".

catnthehat
02-26-2011, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=Traps;847529]The TC encore is has a 28" barrel with a 42" OAL

Side by side the TC still beats the ruger #1 for being compact by 2 1/2".[/QUOTE
The ioriginal discussion as I can remember was not if the TC was shorter than a Ruger no.1, but the fact that single shots in general were shorter than bolt actions.

My main hunting rifle is a break action, just as short or maybe even a tad shorter than a TC and it's a express gun.
i doubt if a Rossi or H&R, BRNO, FAIR, or any of the other zillion break actions out there are any great length longer either.
Time to quit being so anal about your TC and realize that this started by you stating that the TC 708 has the same velocity as a280.
That is what you said, was it not?

[quote]
I'll second the prohunter, I have one in the 7mm-08. In the prohunter you are gettting 280 performance out of the 7mm-08 with the four extra inches of barrel. That gives you "man" performance from a "womens" rifle and should be enough to satisfy any hunters requirements. [quote]
You said nothing baout other brands or barrel lengths insinuating that the TC came with a longer barrel than other rifles.
Cat

Traps
02-26-2011, 07:38 PM
I guess I have to point out the obvious to you. Not too many factory guns come with a 28" tube, most are 20, 22, 23, 24 and 26" with the most common being 22-24" especially with the non-magnum's. Hence the comparison of the 7mm-08 28" to a 24" 280. Being a gun guy I would expect you to realize this. LOL keep trying Cat.

catnthehat
02-26-2011, 07:55 PM
I guess I have to point out the obvious to you. Not too many factory guns come with a 28" tube, most are 20, 22, 23, 24 and 26" with the most common being 22-24" especially with the non-magnum's. Hence the comparison of the 7mm-08 28" to a 24" 280. Being a gun guy I would expect you to realize this. LOL keep trying Cat.

No need for me to try, I've likely been shooting single shots since before you were shooting .
Like I said , no need to try and convince me about single shots and longer barrels, but if you feel that the TC is far and away a superior fire arm because of it, well I guess that's your view.
I don't like the TC myself, otherwise I would own one.
the 28" barrel thing is not an issue for me anyway, as far as ballistics go, if I want a longer barrel I get one put on.
Cat

mudbug
02-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Ruger # 1 with a left handed bolt? :)

It's a falling block single shot so it works great for lefties and righties :) I've used a few and they are great rifles. Plus the gals I know that have tried them really liked to use them :) My brother inlaw has a few and he's left handed as well and he luv's his. Plus they look better than the TC in my opinion. Have a look on this link :)

http://www.ruger.com/products/no1LightSporter/models.html

catnthehat
02-26-2011, 08:12 PM

Anyway, sorry for the drift, but you could do well with a Rossi or H&R in 7/08.
The 25/06 is a fine cartridge and with the lighter bullets does not recoil too much, but most newer shooters do better with the 7/08.
For a bolt action, i'm not sure if Savage is still building a left handed bolt action, but the cost would be higher than the single shots, for sure.
if you want a more expensive single shot, you could look at a TC or a Ruger, or the new Highwalls.
Cat

mudbug
02-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Savage is still making Left hand modles :)

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

rugatika
02-26-2011, 10:10 PM
http://www.lipseysguns.com/post/Ruger-Number-1A-Blue-Light-Sporter-257-Roberts.aspx

Just had to throw this into the mix. I know you said bolt action...but dang, every time Cat gets talking about single shots, I get to drooling.

Pathfinder76
02-27-2011, 07:43 AM

And a 28" barreled 280 will best a 28" barreled 7-08. Even in a piece of garbage like the TC. Capiche?

Traps
02-27-2011, 09:55 AM
And a 28" barreled 280 will best a 28" barreled 7-08. Even in a piece of garbage like the TC. Capiche?

Originally Posted by Traps

Where is the relevancy in quoting me above and the obvious point your trying to make? The catch phrase is.......thats a gem. Stop typing in this thread you've gone from embarrassing to foolish.

Traps
02-27-2011, 10:25 AM
No need for me to try, I've likely been shooting single shots since before you were shooting .
Like I said , no need to try and convince me about single shots and longer barrels, but if you feel that the TC is far and away a superior fire arm because of it, well I guess that's your view.
I don't like the TC myself, otherwise I would own one.
the 28" barrel thing is not an issue for me anyway, as far as ballistics go, if I want a longer barrel I get one put on.
Cat

Typical Cat, as I remember the last time you and I had a go around you brought out the experience card and injected assumptions like I think certain things like the TC is a superior firearm. LOL there are much better firearms than TC.

The best thing you did in this thread was to provide your experience with constructive comments like those stated to the OP.

To the OP good luck in whatever you choose.

Pathfinder76
02-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Stop typing in this thread you've gone from embarrassing to foolish.
:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Pathfinder76
02-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Typical Cat, as I remember the last time you and I had a go around you brought out the experience card and injected assumptions like I think certain things like the TC is a superior firearm. LOL there are much better firearms than TC.

The best thing you did in this thread was to provide your experience with constructive comments like those stated to the OP.

I would suspect CITH has forgotten more about firearms than you will ever know. Do yourself a favour and listen instead of talk.

catnthehat
02-27-2011, 02:11 PM

Typical what?
Are you now sayi9ng the TC is not a superior fire arm like you were trying to say a fe posts back?
otr that I said it ws?
It may very well be compared to a H&R or a Rossi as far as pressures and things go, or maybe quality , but certainly not price point.
But none of this seems to matter to you except somehow winning some kind of supposed debate you want to have with me.

I answered the Op's question directly after a complete debacle that you started by saying the TC gave 7mag performance from am unbelted non magnum case, of which had absolutely no bearing on the OP's original question.
This drifted thew whole danged thread off course, of which was brought back on , but which you seem to be determined to drift again.

So I'll tell ya what - I won't respond to you anymore and you can forget I ever existed , okay?
Cat

elkhunter11
02-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Does anyone remember what the topic of this thread was before it was derailed? :confused:
Something about 25-06 recoil perhaps?:thinking-006:

catnthehat
02-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Yup, it's right here , and it was answered a couple of times despite the ensuing debacle.
Cat

Browning hunter
02-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks for all the good information, and the leads on different options.

I think I will try to persuade my wife to look at the single shots that have been discussed especially the Ruger #1, the best part I get another gun to use being a righty.

Now the fun part, find a gun that fits her well and she feels comfortable with, she has already started going though the wholesale sports catalog. This is also a great reason to hit the Calgary Easter gun show.

Clayton

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
02-28-2011, 10:02 PM
I think I will try to persuade my wife to look at the single shots that have been discussed especially the Ruger #1, the best part I get another gun to use being a righty.
Clayton

Hey Clayton, have her handle the Rugers first. I have a 1B and I find it kinda heavy. (270Win) compared to other rifles.

I think the "Light Sporters" are a pound less, and come in some gentle cartridges. (or you could get one in 30-06 and use the light recoiling loads for her, full power ones for you.

if I were to buy another Ruger1, it would be a Light sporter, 30-06, with a receiver sight. Scopes just seem to take away from the lines of that rifle.

fordtruckin
02-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Dude we must have married the same woman! haha j/k. Sounds very similar to what my wifee would be saying! Its not pretty I don't want it.lol:angry3: