PDA

View Full Version : De-priming a shell

ShawnM
02-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Hi all, I have some live shells that I want to remove the bullets, powder and primer from so I can use the brass for loading. Can you use the normal de-priming tool on a live primer?

I don't want to blow my fingers off!

Deer Hunter
02-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Yes, wear safety glasses and de prime live primers slowly. I have never had one go off in my RCBS press.

saddleup
02-25-2011, 11:22 AM
x2 i also cover casing and reloader with a towel.... just in case....I

V_1
02-25-2011, 12:12 PM
I put a few drops of water down the casings and shake it to make sure if gets down to primer, the shake it out before de-priming. Got to dry it after, obviously.

honda450
02-25-2011, 12:41 PM
I have de-primed quite a few with my rockchucker press without incident.

(Your results may vary)

However I had a bear banger misfire. Lost feelings in my fingers and hand for a week or so but not lost fingers. Got some plastic schrapnel in my neck pretty deep too.

Careful boys.

double gun
02-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Why not pull the bullets, dump the powder and fire the primer in your rifle?

haffordite
02-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Why not deactivate the primer with a shot of WD40. Let sit for awhile then de-prime as normal. Be sure to remove the oil fromt the case before reloading. A quick dunk in any solvent will do the trick. Let cases air dry or better yet use some compressed air. Process works well and is safe.

saddleup
02-25-2011, 06:21 PM
great idea never thought about deactivation like that... tks for the tip alot safer

ward
02-25-2011, 07:18 PM
How is putting any liquid into the case a better solution than firing the primer in a rifle ?

double gun
02-25-2011, 07:27 PM
How is putting any liquid into the case a better solution than firing the primer in a rifle ?

Its not. And if not properly degreased afterwards you will have problems.

BallCoeff.435
02-25-2011, 07:43 PM

Bingo.

Robmcleod82
02-25-2011, 08:33 PM
So I have a crazy idea for you.... Why dont you head to the range and shoot them that would be much more fun, for the record I have deprimed them live with no issues but safety glasses are a must.

KegRiver
02-25-2011, 09:45 PM
I hope you guys realize that ALL the reloading manuals have very strong warnings against trying to deprime live primers.

DO you suppose that maybe the professionals know something you don't?
I wonder what a search for photos and videos of what can happen when that plan goes wrong, would turn up.

Mmmmmmm, come to think of it, it's nothing to me, I follow the book when handling explosives.

Never mind me,
Carry on.

whitetailhntr
02-25-2011, 10:00 PM
I would just pull the bullet and reload it with your powder and bullet of choice. Really no need for removing the primer. If you do choose to remove the primer, do it carefully and wear eye protection. I have removed hundreds of primers without incedent but you never know!:scared0018:

BallCoeff.435
02-25-2011, 10:21 PM
So I have a crazy idea for you.... Why dont you head to the range and shoot them [...].

'Cuz maybe factory ammo might be loaded too hot for a custom chamber and tight tolerances. Or maybe the brass has to have the neck sized down to fit the bullet/caliber of his rifle.

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
02-26-2011, 02:14 AM
[QUOTE=KegRiver;846698]I hope you guys realize that ALL the reloading manuals have very strong warnings against trying to deprime live primers.

DO you suppose that maybe the professionals know something you don't?
.....QUOTE]

they sure do, the TORT laws in the USA that are used to screw the manufacturers of products.

products now have to be "Dumbed Down" to the lowest common denominator.

have you read some safety labels lately?

it is getting ridiculous

Dean2
02-26-2011, 04:55 AM
Why not deactivate the primer with a shot of WD40. Let sit for awhile then de-prime as normal. Be sure to remove the oil fromt the case before reloading. A quick dunk in any solvent will do the trick. Let cases air dry or better yet use some compressed air. Process works well and is safe.

You may want to actually try that before you recommend it. I have treid oil, water, Hoppes #9 and a number of other things on primers, originally to see how much contamination from a guys fingers it would take to deactivate a primer. At amounts WAY past what you would have on your fingers, all primers still went bang.

That said, I have deprimed lots of cases with never a problem, go slow and easy and re-use the primers in a non-critical application like plinking rounds. If you aren't re-using them, snap them off then deprime. Live primers in the garbage isn't a great idea.

Got Juice?
02-26-2011, 05:33 AM

The best and safest method!

When loading high volume pistol, you do get a few 'oopsies'

Rather than take any chances, it is better to fire the primers off.

222rem
02-26-2011, 07:59 AM
The only way to render primer safe or make it useless is with oil.

tchardy1972
02-26-2011, 08:47 AM
'Cuz maybe factory ammo might be loaded too hot for a custom chamber and tight tolerances. Or maybe the brass has to have the neck sized down to fit the bullet/caliber of his rifle.

Seem to me that anyone with a custom cut tight neck chamber must care enough to start with a new lot of brass also.

Robmcleod82
02-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Seem to me that anyone with a custom cut tight neck chamber must care enough to start with a new lot of brass also.

Good call, all I was getting at was it would be a good excuse for the guy to go shooting ballcoef