PDA

View Full Version : Port mcneil salmon fishing

browning375
02-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Does anyone have any first hand experience fishing around Port mcneil and telegraph cove?
Me and a buddy are heading that way in july for a week with my 20ft seaswirl striper and our own gear. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Rob.

Jwood 456
02-25-2011, 02:34 PM
I don't have any first hand fishing experience around PortMcneal though I have this book named "Island Salmon Fisherman." This book mentions many locations on the island to go to. Port MCneal is included. There is so much information on things like the spots to go to, the right time to go there, what to use and etc, that I would be typing for hours on end to get all of the information posted. You can get a copy of this book on sale now at amazon.ca for about $15.64.
Here is an easy link to amazon book page. http://www.amazon.ca/Island-Salmon-Fisherman-Vancouver-Hotspots/dp/1550174258/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298669400&sr=8-1

browning375
02-25-2011, 03:39 PM
I don't have any first hand fishing experience around PortMcneal though I have this book named "Island Salmon Fisherman." This book mentions many locations on the island to go to. Port MCneal is included. There is so much information on things like the spots to go to, the right time to go there, what to use and etc, that I would be typing for hours on end to get all of the information posted. You can get a copy of this book on sale now at amazon.ca for about $15.64.
Here is an easy link to amazon book page. http://www.amazon.ca/Island-Salmon-Fisherman-Vancouver-Hotspots/dp/1550174258/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298669400&sr=8-1

thanks Jwood,

i will look into that!

Kingfisher
02-26-2011, 04:21 AM
I have fished in the Port McNeil area lots over the years. There are some great crabbing area's around there. Try in 70 feet of water in a bay. But a word of warning. Do not leave your crab pot unattended out there or it will get stolen. There are some people who think that any crab pot is fair game. So make sure you can keep an eye on your pots while out on the water.

For camping there is a place just south of Port McNeil called Alder Bay Resort. It's a great place to camp and moore your boat at. http://www.alderbayresort.com/ Turn off Highway 19 onto Beaver Cove Road. The entrance to Alder Bay Resort is on the left, 6 KM down Beaver Cove Road.

Make sure you get yourself some good charts for the area and have a marine radio, a GPS and a compass on board at all times. When the fog rolls in it can be impossible to see any land around you. So make sure you can get back in one piece.

As for what to use. We always had luck with a green or purple flasher and a small pink needle fish hoochie. Check with the people out there. It's funny how every year there seems to be a hot hoochie/flasher combination that everyone seems to use. Some years it's a purple flasher with a cop car hoochie. Other years it's a green flasher with a blue hoochie.

Rob

Beekahs
02-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Son and I were out fishing for a day from Port NcNeil couple years back. We were around the back of Malcolm Island and we trolled back and forth in front of Bear Point. Caught around 4 in the 5 -7 pound range and a nice 24 pound spring.

dss44
02-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Before guiding out of Port Hardy we used to out of Port McNeill, so throw me an email at canucksfanatic44@hotmail.com, and I can help you out with any questions you have.