PDA

View Full Version : Snow Goose question

Mhunter51
02-25-2011, 01:13 PM
For no other reason than my own curiousity I would like to hear from someone with a some knowledge of maybe evolution/ animal husbandry or animal science. As a kid growing up in the Saskatchewan farming country we always had thousands of snow geese passing by spring and fall. Back then I remember occasionally seeing the darker coloured ( blue geese ) mixed in with the flocks of snows. I have watched a lot of nature programs on the nesting of snows in the artic and they have said ( and shown ) mixed pairs, that is one white and one dark. The offspring are either white or dark and frequently both colours in one family.
My question simply put is -- Are the geese evolving from white to dark or dark to white. There seems to be no half white/half dark geese and no "splotchy" ( if that is a word ) geese. In the realm of animals it seems highly unlikly that two differant coloured birds would contnue to mate and after many generations would still have two, and only two distinct colour variations. One would think they would ALL become white, dark or speckled white and dark.
Maybe they were always in there in the numbers they are now ( the dark one that is ) but I just don't remember seeing a great amount of darker ( blue ) geese and now out there they are quite a large percentage of the flocks. Just interested. As you may guess I'm bored today. C-O-L-D out there.

saskbooknut
02-25-2011, 01:43 PM
http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/snow-goose-genetics.php

Quite a good explanation at the above link

johnnyringo
02-25-2011, 11:37 PM
here...ask them yourself:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Mhunter51
02-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks Saskbooknut. Checked the site out and very interesting info on snow/blue geese. And Johnny, it all comes down to "who's their daddy".