PDA

View Full Version : Incorporation questions....

Hairball
02-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Hi All,
Just need some direction and thought I would ask here. I’m looking to incorporate my business and really don’t know where to start, some friends have told me I can do it myself and others have said to go find a lawyer and they will do all the paper work etc for a few hundred dollars. So I guess to start my questions,….roughly how much does it cost to incorporate a business? Should I find a lawyer or proceed with doing it myself? Whichever way I decide to go what is the benefit to becoming incorporated (I understand it protects you personally if someone decides to sue you, they can only go after your business). How long does it take to become incorporated?

Thank you for your replies!!

FishingMOM
02-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Hope this helps.

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/712.cfm

bridger2010
02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Hope this helps.

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/712.cfm

A simple incorporation with a basic shareholder structure can literally be done within a few hours at a lawyer's office and they don't usually charge a lot for it (a couple hundred dollars).

greylynx
02-25-2011, 06:11 PM
There are incorporation kits that sell for about $35.00. That is all you need.

827rotax
02-25-2011, 06:17 PM
You can open a numbered company in minutes @ any registries outlet, if you want a name to operate under the search will cost you and for that you might as well go to a lawyer, they will do the name search and everything for you. As well they set up your minute book. Operating as numbered company you can still have a name operating as, but leagally you are a number. If that is fine then bobs your uncle. If you want to structure shareholder accounts and what have you, might as well spend the money and get what you want from the start, go see a lawyer. Shop around though, some will do it for $300, and I have heard of some charging $1000. Hope this helps

horsetrader
02-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Did mine 2 yrs ago GO TO A LAWYER I'm sure the people on this site that say you can just do this and only have to do that are trying to help you BUT when some thing goes wrong you are the one in court not them.The lawyer will set up every thing you need including paper work for the bank and accountant.
They will supply you with: Corporate Summary Sheet
:Certificate of Incorporation
:Articles of Incorporation
:Notice of Directors

It will cost about $1000.00 (when I did mine) Your better to be safe it's your livelihood. If your in Edmonton go see Ritchie mill law office #780-431-1444,I used Lyndon Thiessen. I'm GREYFIELD MANAGEMENT LTD

hope this helps

winged1
02-25-2011, 06:48 PM
I understand it protects you personally if someone decides to sue you, they can only go after your business

Don't plan on it. Best see a lawyer if your planning on it.

Bushmaster
02-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Are you looking for a CEO or any other high level management types ?? :D

Good luck to ya.....

pseelk
02-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Did mine 2 yrs ago GO TO A LAWYER I'm sure the people on this site that say you can just do this and only have to do that are trying to help you BUT when some thing goes wrong you are the one in court not them.The lawyer will set up every thing you need including paper work for the bank and accountant.
They will supply you with: Corporate Summary Sheet
:Certificate of Incorporation
:Articles of Incorporation
:Notice of Directors

It will cost about $1000.00 (when I did mine) Your better to be safe it's your livelihood. If your in Edmonton go see Ritchie mill law office #780-431-1444,I used Lyndon Thiessen. I'm GREYFIELD MANAGEMENT LTD

hope this helps

x2 this cost is in line with what it cost me to do mine.Seeing a lawyer is as important in setting up your company properly as it is to do your will, get it all done right the first time .Its cheaper in the long run.

4thredneck
02-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Your accountant can do it for you, should be cheaper than s lawyer.

Hairball
02-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Hi All.....

Thank-you very much for all your replies!! Looks like I'll be finding a lawyer here in Calgary to move forward in incorporating my business. I'll post as I go through my incorporation and let you know how much it costs extra. thanks again!!

horsetrader
02-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Good luck

MountainTi
02-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Stop by registries, pick up the forms, spend 20 mins. at home and fill them out. Take them back to registries and 15 minutes later and less than $200 you will have your company LTD. set up. As for your share structures, if you have anyone at registries that is know what they are doing, they will set you up on that also. As for everything else, that is what your accountant is for.