PDA

View Full Version : Newell today

WayneChristie
02-25-2011, 08:21 PM
I fished Newell with Flygirrl yesterday (Thursday) saw a lot of fish on the camera, whites and pike. today, weather change, waaaaay less fish, instead of a couple dozen whites, only 5 or 6, did see a few perch, and one walleye, and instead of over a dozen pike only 10 or so. I did manage to ice 4 pike, the last took at least an hour to convince, mouthed all the leftovers on the bottom, kissed the bait a few times, and finally decided to hit it after I changed tactics a few times. Saw a whitefish do something I didnt expect, and had a friend with me whose fished them for about 100 years or so who had also never seen it, so we both learned something. I have to say, the fishtv is an INVALUABLE learning tool, as well as great entertainment. Those of you who are doing the Badger derby this weekend be prepared to fish very hard and have a few tricks up your sleeves, its not going to be easy. and good luck to you as well. Back out there tomorrow. :sHa_shakeshout: the hunt for Moby continues. :shark:

slingshotz
02-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Saw a whitefish do something I didnt expect, and had a friend with me whose fished them for about 100 years or so who had also never seen it, so we both learned something.

And this was?

Daceminnow
02-25-2011, 08:46 PM
And this was?

be patient. there will be a photo to explain soon.

horsetrader
02-25-2011, 08:59 PM
be patient. there will be a photo to explain soon.

I can't wait i'm a fisherman I got no patients....:)

WayneChristie
02-25-2011, 09:00 PM
I can't wait i'm a fisherman I got no patients....:)

no pics, but I didnt know whites would eat herring.

horsetrader
02-25-2011, 09:07 PM

Never heard of that before,stranger things have happened.

you sure you don't have stock in herring futures.....LOL

thanks Wayne

WayneChristie
02-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Herring are hard to come by in these parts, I grab lots when they are available. actually caught my first lake white yesterday, lost it at the surface. caught on one of the lures I made so I was very happy.

Daceminnow
02-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Herring are hard to come by in these parts, I grab lots when they are available. actually caught my first lake white yesterday, lost it at the surface. caught on one of the lures I made so I was very happy.

i was at a filling station in Brooks two weeks ago. picked up some beautiful herring wayne and priced real nice too. the bottom half of their stand-up freezer was full. look below the hundred bags of smelts. thats your neck of the prairie isn't it?

WayneChristie
02-26-2011, 02:09 AM
i was at a filling station in Brooks two weeks ago. picked up some beautiful herring wayne and priced real nice too. the bottom half of their stand-up freezer was full. look below the hundred bags of smelts. thats your neck of the prairie isn't it?

what station was that at? I usually get mine at the IGA. I bet they were stocked up for the derby last weekend

Jimboy
02-26-2011, 03:04 AM

AHAHHHHHHH , now we all know what this guy uses for pike bait ,AHAAAAAAA.:sHa_shakeshout:

Fishhunter
02-26-2011, 04:47 AM
hey wayne i was just wondering ,do the whites seem to be spooked by the camera.i was under the impression that they dont like cameras so i don't use mine when i fish them but i think i will try more now.i was at gull the other day and we got lots of whites, so we started fishing jacks i put the camera down and seen one white right away come to check my red devil,that was the only one i seen after that nothing and i know they were there.

WayneChristie
02-26-2011, 07:16 AM
I dont see any problem with the camera, so far, Ive had a couple come right up and check it out. the one I caught Friday was about 3 feet from the camera if that. going to hang some aquarium plants off it just in case, the plastic ones that is.

mulecrazy
02-26-2011, 07:19 AM
A S.E. wind would explain the sudden stop in action. For whatever reason, down south we could catch 20 walleye one afternoon and the next with a SE wind would get maybe 1 or 2. Seemed that way with all the fish species, must be a pressure change that makes them lathargic or something.

horsetrader
02-26-2011, 07:29 AM
A S.E. wind would explain the sudden stop in action. For whatever reason, down south we could catch 20 walleye one afternoon and the next with a SE wind would get maybe 1 or 2. Seemed that way with all the fish species, must be a pressure change that makes them lathargic or something.

Wind from the West, fish bite the best.
Wind from the East, fish bite the least.
Wind from the North, do not go forth.
Wind from the South blows bait in their mouth.

Daceminnow
02-26-2011, 02:21 PM
what station was that at? I usually get mine at the IGA. I bet they were stocked up for the derby last weekend

husky across the street from the golden arches.

WayneChristie
02-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks Dace I will start checking there too. IGA has slim pickings some days.
Today I managed to land 2 pike and lost 3 more at the hole. no monsters yet. Saw quite a few whites too. going to try a different area tomorrow. The pike were still very lethargic, saw a lot more than bit. The road into Reddelback is going to be in poor shape tomorrow, it was drifting in bad at 6 oclock tonight.