PDA

View Full Version : Costco Gun Safe, Help!

zabbo
02-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Went out yeaterday and got a gun vault from Costco. Its the protector model 2743 and cost $340. Well, with the help of a buddy got it to the house and placed where it's going to live, got it out of the cardboard and I cannot get the door to open. It has 3 emergency keys and the deal is you turn the key ccw the turn tthe handle cw. The key doesn't turn more than a few degrees, is that enough? I have managed to wiggle and jiggle and get the handle to rotate about 1/3 of the way cw and it seems to open all the catches except the bottom. The door definatly is open but there is something not releasing, or catching at the bottom. Anyone got any ideas? :angry3:

lilsundance
02-26-2011, 09:28 AM
try adjusting how the safe is sitting. Like mine it could be its twisted a little bit and not allowing the bolt to retract all the way. When I set mine up I had to twist it a bit at the top and it opened. I then had to adjust how it was sitting on the floor to get it to work properly. The key only turns a few degrees. I don't have that model but mine is a costco gun safe.

deerhunter
02-26-2011, 10:21 AM
:sHa_shakeshout:Bought mine at Cosco a couple of years ago . Works great.

borchy
02-26-2011, 12:05 PM
I am a safe and vault technician and am not familiar with your safe but sounds to me like the keys are not opening all the way. Or the boltwork has become unatatched, return it for another one if you can, if there is something wrong it can become a pain in the butt. If you do get it open do not close until fixing the problem.

borchy
02-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Could also be a sagged hinge try lifting door a bit with a flat screwdriver.

bridger2010
02-26-2011, 12:50 PM
I know of a couple people who had to return their gun vaults to Costco after lugging the things home (because of defects). But Costco happily exchanged for new ones and the new ones work great.

chuck0039
02-26-2011, 01:44 PM
on my neighbours costco safe the key override would not work. we removed the panel of the back of the door and found that some of the components to the lock must have got dislodged or loosened from traveling. We just reset everything and it works great.

DOGFISH
02-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Like it was mentioned above the keys only turn a couple of degrees CCW. This normal but the door should open easily. Try laying it on its back if there is no guns in it yet and maybe the locking bolt on the bottom of the door is not clearing.

Kananaskis
02-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Had similar issue the first time I opened mine (same model). Like you said turn key a couple degrees CCW.Try turning wheel CCW as well, I gave a aggressive turn CCW then a normal CW turn, it has worked fine ever since. Hope it works for you.

chasingtail
02-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Mines all real pain to open, takes some fiddling just to get the key in, but yes only need to turn the key a couple of degrees. The digital touch pad stopped working shortly after I bought it to.

borchy
02-26-2011, 08:41 PM
You guys ever check for and change batteries on the digital touch pads? May help

zabbo
02-27-2011, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I did try laying it on its back, also thought of loosening the bolts from the pallet it was on after Lil Sundance suggested repositioning. Nothing worked. I could get the handle to turn but something definetly hung up the bottom of the door when I tried to pull it open. I called Costco, explained the deal and the manager said bring the safe and bill back, take another one and check it before leaving the store. Definetly a pain but my toys are now happy in their new, larger home. Door works just fine!:)