PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 VTR?

Twisted Canuck
02-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Anybody got the VTR in .22-250? Wondering how it is.....I'm wanting to get a .22-250 for a coyote rig, and splashing gophers a bit. What I really want is the 700 VSSF II, I handled one last night in Corlanes and it is sweeeet with the H&S stock, 26" fluted stainless, jewelled bolt....but it is also a whole pile more than the lowly VTR with it's 22" barrel. Price difference is going to be $400 if I bought from Cabelas, or $550 if I picked up the one at Corlanes...!! Yikes. So, I may suck it up and settle on a VTR if I can get some good reviews from users. It would definately be easier to pack around than the VSSF.....

Anybody want to weigh in on this one? And for those who say, just go ahead and spend the extra, I'm accepting donations!

TC

NBFK
02-26-2011, 10:21 AM
the barrels only 20" because of the 2" of muzzle brake. Your not going to reach top velocities.

DOGFISH
02-26-2011, 01:44 PM
I believe Crawfy has one (VTR)and is happy with it. PM him and find out.

As to the question about the 700 VSSF, I have shot that rifle in 220 Swift, and it is one sweet ride. It is owned by a friend I work with.

Hope this helps.

NUK SOO KOW
02-26-2011, 02:17 PM
I have one in .223. I am really enjoying this rifle with no complaints. Found a good load, shoots like a laser. You may have trouble getting all you can out of it in the 22-250 caliber. I have had mine for three years and love it. However if you like the 22-250 I would go with a longer barrel model. Like sps varmint. (roughly same price, think a little cheaper)

Prdtrgttr
02-26-2011, 02:31 PM
I have one in the Desert Recon model. It's also a 223. I really like the gun because of how light and easy it is to handle and move around. This gun is a great coyote hunting rifle. Accuracy with handloads is less than an inch at a hundred yards and this is stock, meaning I have not bedded or free floated the barrel.
The only thing I had to do was remove the muzzle brake, it was way too loud! After shooting more than 3 shots in the field my ears would ring for an hour. I removed the brake and it's much better. Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/Prdtrgttr/muzzlebrake001.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/Prdtrgttr/lastlite001.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/Prdtrgttr/muzzlebrake006.jpg

crawfy
02-26-2011, 04:06 PM
I have one however i have not had any nice weather to go shoot the darn thing its either -25 or the wind is blowing a 100kph. will keep you posted though.

Twisted Canuck
02-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, some good points made that I hadn't considered. I hadn't taken into account the barrel being only 20" because of the brake, I was already concerned about dimished velocity dropping from 26", so that will be a major consideration. I had thought about the volume at the 'bang' end with the brake, I'm not a big fan of 'loudeners' in general, so the feedback on that is appreciated. Cutting the brake off a new rifle seems counter-productive in a way, but you gotta do what you gotta do....I have heard they are an accurate rig, I actually just bought an XHR in .300 win mag at Christmas time with the same triangular barrel, sans brake. Got a nice Kahles 3-9 x 40mm scope on it, one piece weaver rail, leupold rings, and haven't even shot the darn thing yet!! Too busy with work and the kid's hockey. I think I'm a bit nuts already looking at a new rig, when I haven't even shot the last new rig yet, let alone broke in the barrel.

Anyway, so far from what I've heard, I'm still undecided. I really do prefer the VSSF II, from the looks/quality/velocity department. The VTR gets the nod on portablility, as well as 'banging around in the truck without crying or worrying' dept. Drop in velocity is a concern, would be nice to hear real world Chrono results, and accuracy is probably a push for the type of shooting I want to do. This isn't going to be a 700 meter 'gong banger', this is going to be a practical coyote field gun. I wouldn't anticipate any real world shots greater than 400 meters (hey, I'm just not that good!), and probably most in the 250 yrds and under range.

One thing I have decided on though, is the Huskemaw scope. I checked out a 4-20 x 50mm at Corlanes last night as well, and I was beyond impressed with it. Not cheap, but wowee! what a nice unit. I like trying out new stuff, and this is a beaut!

Any more feedback is very welcome. I think I'm going to have to wait till after the tax man gives me my yearly screwing before I go ahead with this, hoping to be all set up for my May long weekend annual gopher genocide tour....coming soon to a pasture near you!

TC

Robmcleod82
02-26-2011, 09:33 PM
I am a big fan of the vssf but i find it a lil heavy when hunting coyotes. I went with a rem model 7 predator hunter in 243 and have been very pleased with it it shoots half inchish and i like that it is lite and has a short barrel when coyote hunting as it gets on target fast. I know this model can be had in 22-250 and 223 as well maybe this might be an option as well, its not quite as spendy as the vssf either.

Trav
02-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, some good points made that I hadn't considered. I hadn't taken into account the barrel being only 20" because of the brake, I was already concerned about dimished velocity dropping from 26", so that will be a major consideration. I had thought about the volume at the 'bang' end with the brake, I'm not a big fan of 'loudeners' in general, so the feedback on that is appreciated. Cutting the brake off a new rifle seems counter-productive in a way, but you gotta do what you gotta do....I have heard they are an accurate rig, I actually just bought an XHR in .300 win mag at Christmas time with the same triangular barrel, sans brake. Got a nice Kahles 3-9 x 40mm scope on it, one piece weaver rail, leupold rings, and haven't even shot the darn thing yet!! Too busy with work and the kid's hockey. I think I'm a bit nuts already looking at a new rig, when I haven't even shot the last new rig yet, let alone broke in the barrel.

Anyway, so far from what I've heard, I'm still undecided. I really do prefer the VSSF II, from the looks/quality/velocity department. The VTR gets the nod on portablility, as well as 'banging around in the truck without crying or worrying' dept. Drop in velocity is a concern, would be nice to hear real world Chrono results, and accuracy is probably a push for the type of shooting I want to do. This isn't going to be a 700 meter 'gong banger', this is going to be a practical coyote field gun. I wouldn't anticipate any real world shots greater than 400 meters (hey, I'm just not that good!), and probably most in the 250 yrds and under range.

One thing I have decided on though, is the Huskemaw scope. I checked out a 4-20 x 50mm at Corlanes last night as well, and I was beyond impressed with it. Not cheap, but wowee! what a nice unit. I like trying out new stuff, and this is a beaut!

Any more feedback is very welcome. I think I'm going to have to wait till after the tax man gives me my yearly screwing before I go ahead with this, hoping to be all set up for my May long weekend annual gopher genocide tour....coming soon to a pasture near you!

TC

Twisted
|Stay away from the VTR buddy has one and when he shoots it, it sounds like a 50 cal going off not very ear friendly at all.

DennyV
02-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Twisted
|Stay away from the VTR buddy has one and when he shoots it, it sounds like a 50 cal going off not very ear friendly at all.

Muzzle brakes are awesome LOL

Rockymtnx
02-28-2011, 12:45 AM
You can not go wrong with a VSSF, thats for sure.
Here are my comments on a VTR in 22-250 from last week.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=83550

A friend of mine purchased one a little over a year ago in 22-250.
We can not get this thing to shoot.

We have tried every powder and bullet you can think of. There are no points of the stock touching the barrel. The scope, rings, and bases all remounted. Everything tourqued correctly.

Once and awile you will get it to put two bullets with in 1/4" of each other. Then for no reason the next bullet will be off by 3.5" This gun just does not shoot!

Anyone else experince what we have?

fish_e_o
02-28-2011, 10:44 AM
i just bought a new rem 700 sps varmint

it doesn't feed smoothly, the trigger sucks, the firing pin is undersized so the primers crater, the stock is cheap and poorly fit.

but hey it puts 5 shots inside of half an inch...

i'll stick to tikas if i want a nice gun

Kale 19
02-28-2011, 12:54 PM
The VTR's are nice little guns and accurate. MOA - Sub MOA is not a problem. If you must have the extreme velocities the 22-250 is capable of however, you will find that the shorter barrel will limit you as was mentioned by others. That being said, if you are only expecting to shoot out to 300yrds you will have plenty of speed and accuracy with the VTR. I own and shoot a 22-250 in VSSF II and it is a very nice gun but I can tell you it is not the most practical gun to lug aroung to shoot prairie poodles. It is heavy and long and a bit cumbersome but it does shoot extremely accurate and IMHO worth the extra price for what your getting. I use mine for shooting crows and magpies in the spring so it rarely strays far from my truck or the range. My suggestion between the two if it is to be used for yotes and gophers would be for the VTR as it is much nicer to handle and pack. If you haven't already, have a look at the remington sps. It will give to the longer barrel, are natorously accurate and are lighter than the VSSF II. They are also very similar in price to the VTR and will give you the higher velocities the 22-250 is capable of as well as good accuracy and it doesn't have that pointless muzzel break that does nothing on a small cal other than make it louder than necessary. If I'm not mistaken, and I stand to be corrected 1 inch of barrel will add approx 50fps so arguably the difference between the VSSF II or SPS to the VTR could be about 300fps overall.
I hope this helps. Good luck with your selection and happy gopher poppin!

Kale

Twisted Canuck
02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the input Kale. Jury is still out, but getting close to a decision. I'm not a big SPS fan, I think Remington cheaped out to much on them...I like the portability of the VTR, the brake is going to annoy me though I'm afraid. Having said all that, I think I've kind of decided on it for the type of shooting I'll be doing. The money I save over the VSSF II will go to scope upgrade. I really like that Huskemaw! Loss in speed with the shorter barrel probably won't matter much to me for what I'm about.....

Kale_M
02-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Mine is in .204. Love the thing! I really dont find it that loud to be honest...

factory ammo puts 5 shots under an inch at 100 yards with the factory stock and with the new stock as well..

got some weight to it but i dont mind it as i use a sling when i carry it and I dont notice the weight at all..

get one, you will love it!

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180038_497578092300_512927300_6745770_3017960_n.jp g

Twisted Canuck
02-28-2011, 01:52 PM
That's a nice looking rig Kale!

Robmcleod82
02-28-2011, 08:13 PM
i just bought a new rem 700 sps varmint

it doesn't feed smoothly, the trigger sucks, the firing pin is undersized so the primers crater, the stock is cheap and poorly fit.

but hey it puts 5 shots inside of half an inch...

i'll stick to tikas if i want a nice gun

First off fish e o I am not picking on you but I have seen this comment a hundred times. The remington sps series is the cheapest 700 you can buy, I remember reading they are made in hoduras. Why do people expect to get the quality of a 1000 dollar gun for 500 dollars. this drives me nuts i dont buy sps cause i dont like junk. If want a cheap rifle buy a savage.
end of rant

Kev
02-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Mine is in 308 and I don't notice any increase in noise. Still seems quieter than my 270.

fish_e_o
03-01-2011, 08:42 AM
First off fish e o I am not picking on you

Why do people expect to get the quality of a 1000 dollar gun for 500 dollars. this drives me nuts i dont buy sps cause i dont like junk. If want a cheap rifle buy a savage.
end of rant

i know but my gun in my opinion isn't even safe to shoot i wanted a $500 gun not a paper weight.

with a savage i would have been leaps and bounds ahead sadly i was lead to believe the 700 was the better gun.

Twisted Canuck
03-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Well, I made a decision....I decided to skip the VTR, the barrel length and brake were turning me off. And I decided to skip the VSSF II as the weight & price were an issue. And I ended up getting something that I had looked at and considered, and thought about....and then a deal came up with another member so I bought it 'locally'...

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-vl-ss-thumbhole.aspx

Kind of a nice attractive compromise between the two, don't you think? And I've wanted to try a thumbhole for awhile now, never had one...

I think I have my scope figured out too, decided against the Huskemaw for now, going to do a little shopping today. My wife is 'quietly annoyed' with me buying another rifle, before I have even shot my last 'new' rifle, but I sold two rifles and two bows this year already so she is keeping her thoughts to herself....for now. :fighting0030::love0025:

crawfy
03-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Finally got out today and shot the VTR 22-250, used 45gr jhp winchester and the gun shot really good. Grouped good to 100 yards shot 5 shots within a loonie so I am ok with that as i did not have a lot of time down at the range and way to many people down there to shoot it out farther.

over all like the gun it does'nt feed as smooth as i thought it might but all in all she's a keeper.

Rockymtnx
03-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Glad to hear yours shoots Crawfty. Sounds like we are dealing with a lemon here.
Thanks for updating us. I was very curious as to how yours was going to shoot.

saskwhitey
03-14-2011, 08:56 PM
I've had mine for a year and love it. It is for sure loud though.

surfer16_16
03-15-2011, 06:57 PM
I just had mine out to the range last weekend and am shooting 3 shot groups inside a loonie using Win Ballistic Silvertips in 150 gr 308 cal. Very nice gun. x2 with saskwhitey...sure is loud!

North of 53
03-15-2011, 07:26 PM
That looks like a very nice gun, if only they made it in a 22-250 with a 1:12 twist. I have a couple of customs guns built on a Remington 700 platform but for a factory gun I will take a Savage over a Remington every time. They just always seam to be more accurate right out of the box.
My Remington 700's actions shoot well but that's is after several hundreds of dollars of gunsmithing work done to them, new bolt and trigger in one of them. Custom stock and barrel on both.
The best Remington I ever had brand new right out of the box was my 22-250 model 788. That may be dating myself a little but that gun shot everything. It is now on its third barrel and has A.I chamber with a 1:8 twist.Now that's a long range coyote killer, have taken a couple a over 600 yards with that gun.