PDA

View Full Version : LEM Meat Ginder and Knife Sharpening

dumoulin
02-26-2011, 06:52 PM
I bought a 3/4hp LEM meat grinder this fall from Bass Pro. I processed about 20lbs of deer and then 15lbs of moose and somehow I wore out the knife! It simply stopped grinding. The thing is supposed to process 250 - 300lbs of meat per hour but there's nooooo way mine will. It gets clogged too easily and just doesn't grind.:angry3:

I know I didn't over torque the retaining cap (which would prematurely wear out the knife)... Needless to say I'm pretty disapointed with it, but I need to sharpen the knife. Do you know how to do that?:thinking-006:

deanmc
02-26-2011, 06:59 PM
I bought a 3/4hp LEM meat grinder this fall from Bass Pro. I processed about 20lbs of deer and then 15lbs of moose and somehow I wore out the knife! It simply stopped grinding. The thing is supposed to process 250 - 300lbs of meat per hour but there's nooooo way mine will. It gets clogged too easily and just doesn't grind.:angry3:

I know I didn't over torque the retaining cap (which would prematurely wear out the knife)... Needless to say I'm pretty disapointed with it, but I need to sharpen the knife. Do you know how to do that?:thinking-006:

If it has reverse you can put some lapping compound on the screen and knife and run it backwards for a bit.
You can also buy them at "butcher and packer supplies" or halfords hides for around $20.00 for a quality one. It should last you for hundreds of pounds of meat. I doubt yours is worth the time to sharpen if it wore out so quickly.

deanmc
02-26-2011, 07:00 PM
if you are in a bind with a bunch of meat on the counter a piece of glass or steel with some wet dry sandpaper in the sink will work as well. Just takes longer.

dumoulin
02-26-2011, 07:04 PM
If it has reverse you can put some lapping compound on the screen and knife and run it backwards for a bit.
You can also buy them at "butcher and packer supplies" or halfords hides for around $20.00 for a quality one. It should last you for hundreds of pounds of meat. I doubt yours is worth the time to sharpen if it wore out so quickly.

Yaaa that's pretty much what I thought as well--buy a couple new ones--just wanted to save a few bucks. Hey, $40 is a good bottle of rye!:bad_boys_20:

dumoulin
02-26-2011, 07:05 PM
if you are in a bind with a bunch of meat on the counter a piece of glass or steel with some wet dry sandpaper in the sink will work as well. Just takes longer.

what grit?

deanmc
02-26-2011, 07:15 PM
what grit?

I used 150 on mine and finished with 400 to polish them a bit. You might be able to turn the screen instead of truing it. the knife is easy but the screen takes a bit of time.

deanmc
02-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Hey, $40 is a good bottle of rye!:bad_boys_20:

You are preaching to the choir! if you seen some of the junk around here that I have patched up...................................:angry3:

My wife just shakes her head.lol

blacktailslayer
02-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Got the blade the right way???? You sure as hell can't wear out a blade with 35lbs of meat!!!

dumoulin
02-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Got the blade the right way???? You sure as hell can't wear out a blade with 35lbs of meat!!!

Tell me about it! Something had to of been screwed up? I'm guessing the knife came defective--unlikely though. Just when you think you've seen it all...

Hunt1973
02-26-2011, 07:46 PM
i have the sameone and have ground and stuffed probably 300 lbs and it still works like new.Do you chill your meat before grinding.

dumoulin
02-26-2011, 07:50 PM
i have the sameone and have ground and stuffed probably 300 lbs and it still works like new.Do you chill your meat before grinding.

Chill like slightly frozen or chill like thaugh out but cold? I processed it chilled like cold, not slightly frozen. Is this the problem!

Hunt1973
02-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Slightly frozen and cut in strips that just fit in the tube .Its slower on the second pass with the fine grind.

Piker
02-26-2011, 08:07 PM
I have basically the same thing as you have for 10 yrs. and I just got the blade sharpened and the plates honed so they fit properly. Any meat processing plant or butchers should be able to this. But it sounds like you have the blade reversed as I had the same problem at the start. The sharp edges goes against the plate. Hope this solves your problem. Piker

ditchpickle
02-26-2011, 09:33 PM
I have basically the same thing as you have for 10 yrs. and I just got the blade sharpened and the plates honed so they fit properly. Any meat processing plant or butchers should be able to this. But it sounds like you have the blade reversed as I had the same problem at the start. The sharp edges goes against the plate. Hope this solves your problem. Piker

Are you sure the blade is on the right way?

Please post pics of the worn out blade and plate... I would really like to see what is wrong.

dumoulin
02-26-2011, 09:43 PM
The knife is pressed flat against the plate. Both are mated together and the carbides are flat against the plate.