PDA

View Full Version : Hanna, Alberta

Craddosk
02-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Seeing as how I'm going to be living there this summer for work, I figure I should get to know a bit about the town. I have visited their website.

What are your thoughts on the town? It's around 3000 people, and 300km from both Calgary and Edmonton. Do you live there? Have you lived there? Thoughts on the area from a living/hunting/recreation perspective?

winged1
02-27-2011, 02:14 AM
That's easy. If they still have thier 'home of Nickleback' sign up, keep driving.

FCLightning
02-27-2011, 07:16 AM
If you like water sport you are 20 min. from the Prairie Oasis Park at the Sheerness Generating Station. If you like golf, they just redesigned the course to make 18 holes. No Tim Hortons but there is fast food. Not much for dining though.
Last I drove by they did have the Nickleback sign out.

saskbooknut
02-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Met a number of nice guys from the local gun club at their Gunshow in July. I would check out the club first thing. Ron Windsor organizes the gun show.

hunted
02-27-2011, 09:08 AM
I live in Brooks. I have traveled up around Hanna a fair bit, mostly south of Hanna. Great mule deer hunting, pretty good whitetail. birds very good, fishing will be different for you mostly small reseviors with a few fish. But the people(ranchers, farmers in this area are great people! good luck!!!

Redfrog
02-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Hanna is ok. I lived east of there for a few years, when I first came to Alberta from the coast ten years ago.
population was the same.

There's more vacant businesses now than there were then.

There is fishing and hunting in the area. Lots of gophers in the summer.
Lots of coyotes. Easy access.

Indoor rodeo in Sept. Gunshow in July.

bowhunter9841
02-27-2011, 09:29 AM
You're definately gonna get bored in hanna if you are into the night life! On the other hand, Hanna is great for waterfowl hunting! I've guided down there a few times, and I'm heading back again this fall! There is some huge mule deer, some of which I've seen 30 seconds from town! Whitetails are all over as well! And antelope are there too! The land owners always seem to be friendly, and will give you a good idea about where the wildlife are! The hardest part out there, is trying to track down the landowners! You can drive for miles and not see a house! Also, don't get excited when you see the lakes on a map! Dowling, and Sullivan look more like wheat fields than lakes! And if you end up at the lounge of the grey goose hotel, there is one guy in town that always plays nickelback on the juke box! It gets old quick! I usually only spend 3-5 days there!

Craddosk
02-27-2011, 10:06 AM
The information is Golden. I'm not into the nightlife, so I figure I'll do fine. It can't be any worse than Fox Creek.

I'll have to dig up the gun club. Is there a decent range in the area?

192 whitey
02-27-2011, 12:06 PM
The information is Golden. I'm not into the nightlife, so I figure I'll do fine. It can't be any worse than Fox Creek.

I'll have to dig up the gun club. Is there a decent range in the area?

I'm originally from Hanna transfered to the Hat 4 yrs. ago still go back to whitetail hunt got 192 inch in 06. Carolside [berry creek] reservoir has excellent pike fishing have caught 3 over 30 lbs over the last 12 yrs lots of keeper size and good eating as well caught a few big walleyes very few. Ron Windsor is the guy to talk to about the range. If you need names come hunting season let me know. Nice little trout pond 3 miles west of town called Helmers dam.

2 Tollers
02-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Adding to what others have said.
Sunnynook golf course south of Hanna is a nice little spot with a camping area and has a good steak.
Blood Indian reservoir south of Youngstown is a nice stocked trout lake --- gets pretty windy at times and has a summer fishing derby that is really busy.

Albertacoyotecaller
02-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Hanna is a step up from Fox Creek. It is the cowboy/country lifestyle. Not much for name brand restaurants etc but lots to do and one of my favourite little towns out there. If your going to be there for the summer, bring a 22 with lots of ammo for the gophers!

Greg

Craddosk
02-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Sounds like I should fit in just fine then. Shooting gophers, relaxed little town. I figure I'm doing wildlife surveys, so I should get plenty of scouting in for hunting season. Some fishing in the summer should be great, perfect reason to dig up a canoe!

WOLFPACK
02-27-2011, 07:14 PM
once a week they have strippers in Hanna? Last time I was there for work at Sheerness the ladies couldn't make it to town due to snow. I was there with a local and he was kind enough to mention that the mayor was there for the show as well.

MountainTi
02-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Was born there...........try not to go back. :)

Nester
02-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Nice place to visit.........

MountainTi
02-27-2011, 07:19 PM
once a week they have strippers in Hanna? Last time I was there for work at Sheerness the ladies couldn't make it to town due to snow. I was there with a local and he was kind enough to mention that the mayor was there for the show as well.

Friday nights at the National. Happens to be the only bar in town, so the local gals are also in there at the same time.
Behave yourself in there, the DJ is also the bouncer, and they don't call Brent "Big O" for nothing.

Redfrog
02-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Just remembered Hanna probably has the only honest politician, I've ever met.
the Mayor manages the credit union there and is a great guy.

BrainTan
02-27-2011, 09:09 PM
The steakhouse there has some of the best soup I've ever tasted. and the grub is pretty decent too. Not much going on in Hanna but some nice country in the vicinity

Okotokian
02-28-2011, 11:09 AM
The town wasn't good enough for Chad Kruger. I think that says it all.

The Copenhagen Kid
02-28-2011, 12:26 PM
well being raised there, there are some great posts on here about Hanna. There is some great deer, and antelope hunting within miles of town. Waterfowl hunting speaks for itself when there are three giant concrete Canada's in such a small town! lol.. Fishing is what you make of it, carolside can be great as mentioned, and Helmers is also a great little hideaway for a few hours. (close to town, and has camping right beside it at Fox Lake) Electric motors only on Helmers, but if there is enough water in Fox, one can ski and tube there also. Sherness (Prairie Oasis) is becoming a little campers hotspot, and can be very difficult to get a vacancy in the summer months.

As far as the night life, lol, it is minimal to say the least. The National hotel is probably the busiest if that can be said?? Weekdays are a bust there since the government regulated the toonie Tuesday for a beer! lol The dancers are supposed to be there wed, thurs, fri, and the occasional saturday....that being said, they sometimes only show up for friday, and leave the same night! lol

There is no need to worry about the bouncer "Big O" anymore...lol....he retired that gig months ago. His dj sign still hangs above the booth though! He still frequents once in a while, and if you are lucky enough to see/meet him ever, you will understand where the "big" part came from....(not a small man) Being that he is my uncle, I never had to test his strength, but for those unfortunate few that did, the average guy was not much more than a nusience! :)

Hope you have a great summer working there, If you have any questions or need a gopher hunting partner, let me know, I get through town ever couple weeks or so to let the grandparents visit the gkids.....