PDA

View Full Version : GM 4.8L Any Good?

Topwater
02-26-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm thinking of getting a new half ton crew cab with the 4.8L. I realize its got the 4 spd tranny instead of the 6 but there selling them new for like 28g which is pretty good. Any body running this setup? thoughts?
Steve

MK2750
02-27-2011, 08:35 AM
I guy I work with bought the 4.8 and likes it. I opted for the 5.3 and am happy with mine. I am pretty sure they are built on the same block.

My last truck was also a 5.3 and they are an awesome engine so I wanted the same. What sold me was the host of other options that came with stepping up to the next model.

Pulling a trailer with the 6 speed is night and day compared to my old 4 speed. The truck never seems to over rev as the old one would really howl on a hill.

The 5.3 has the full management system and gets better fuel mileage with a significant increase in horse power.

My truck also came with some bells and whistles like satellite radio that the wife enjoys, and supposedly better tires etc.

I think if you are planning to pull anything you should look at the 5.3. If not I think you will be happy with the 4.8.

GM is offering some nice savings but remember they are from the manufacturer not the dealer. When the deal was written I took a look and asked to see the sales manager. I told him I knew what GM was doing now what are you going to do as a dealer to get my business.

Beyond the manufacturers rebates I got a free LineX box liner, went $400 over on the chrome package, a better interest rate from GMAC and an extra thousand or so off the truck.

After my buddy paid for his box liner, mud flaps as well as paying full price the difference wasn't that much in the big scheme of things.

eastcoast
02-27-2011, 08:55 AM
I guy I work with bought the 4.8 and likes it. I opted for the 5.3 and am happy with mine. I am pretty sure they are built on the same block.

My last truck was also a 5.3 and they are an awesome engine so I wanted the same. What sold me was the host of other options that came with stepping up to the next model.

Pulling a trailer with the 6 speed is night and day compared to my old 4 speed. The truck never seems to over rev as the old one would really howl on a hill.

The 5.3 has the full management system and gets better fuel mileage with a significant increase in horse power.

My truck also came with some bells and whistles like satellite radio that the wife enjoys, and supposedly better tires etc.

I think if you are planning to pull anything you should look at the 5.3. If not I think you will be happy with the 4.8.

GM is offering some nice savings but remember they are from the manufacturer not the dealer. When the deal was written I took a look and asked to see the sales manager. I told him I knew what GM was doing now what are you going to do as a dealer to get my business.

Beyond the manufacturers rebates I got a free LineX box liner, went $400 over on the chrome package, a better interest rate from GMAC and an extra thousand or so off the truck.

After my buddy paid for his box liner, mud flaps as well as paying full price the difference wasn't that much in the big scheme of things.

the 4.8/5.3 and 6.0 are all built on the same block.

the 4.8 is the base block,the 5.3 is bored a little, and the 6.0 is bored and stroked.

Trax
02-27-2011, 12:19 PM
The 4.8L is our standard for all company trucks. Personally I had two and both had over 200K with know motor or tranny issues.
Decent fuel mileage as well.

lilsundance
02-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Guy at work has the 4.8 in his 06? he pulls his holiday trailer with it. Says it works ok, won't break any speed records with it. If he was to do it again he would have gone the 5.3 for pulling his trailer. For normal usage he love the 4.8

Topwater
02-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Well I think we'll probobly try one out. Dont need it for pulling anything (got a diesel for that) just looking for something inexpensive to own/operate. My choice is the GM or the Dodge for dealers in town and it sounds like the GM would get alot better mileage plus we already have all GMC's already

rookiemoosehunter
02-27-2011, 03:57 PM
The 4.8L is our standard for all company trucks. Personally I had two and both had over 200K with know motor or tranny issues.
Decent fuel mileage as well.

What kind of mileage do you get?

dumoulin
02-27-2011, 04:37 PM
4.8l are great engines but if your are going to pull anything, get a 350. I had a 4.8 but it just didn't have enough torque on the highway pulling a 6500lbs travel trailer safely. Without pulling anything I would get about 25mpg, pulling my t. trailer I woulf get 10mpg at best.

Topwater
02-27-2011, 06:55 PM
4.8l are great engines but if your are going to pull anything, get a 350. I had a 4.8 but it just didn't have enough torque on the highway pulling a 6500lbs travel trailer safely. Without pulling anything I would get about 25mpg, pulling my t. trailer I woulf get 10mpg at best.

I don't think they've had a 350 in a pick up for over 10 years. Only thing it'll be pulling would be a trailer with one or two snowmobiles and all our ice fishing gear so I'm pretty sure it will work good. Just need something for the marina. It's mostly gonna be used for running to the post office, bank and grocery store. It'll keep all the miles off of the wives beloved diesel that she's decided she never wants to sell.
Steve

sako1
02-27-2011, 07:31 PM
the 4.8/5.3 and 6.0 are all built on the same block.

the 4.8 is the base block,the 5.3 is bored a little, and the 6.0 is bored and stroked.

Actually the 4.8 and the 5.3 are the exact same bore size,the 5.3 is stroked about 9mm.

dumoulin
02-27-2011, 09:07 PM
I don't think they've had a 350 in a pick up for over 10 years. Only thing it'll be pulling would be a trailer with one or two snowmobiles and all our ice fishing gear so I'm pretty sure it will work good. Just need something for the marina. It's mostly gonna be used for running to the post office, bank and grocery store. It'll keep all the miles off of the wives beloved diesel that she's decided she never wants to sell.
Steve

:sign0161: (that's so true, I think the 350 went the way of the Dodo..) Yup! That's how it all started for me!!! I just wanted the somthing to tow my Rhino, drive to work and get the mail.... Next thing you know... your pulling a bigger trailer....I ended up selling my 1500/4.8 for a 3500 DuramaxDiesel because I was tired of being always within that centain threshhold of the trucks ability. My point was, unless you have another truck to pull stuff, get a bigger engine, like the 6L. If you are SURE that you won't need it, the 4.8/5.3 will work just fine and dandy.:)

mudhunter
02-27-2011, 10:56 PM
I am also looking at picking one of these trucks up. I just cannot decide if I want the 4.8L or a 5.3L.

The 4.8L has 302/hp and 305/tq compared to the 5.3L with 315/hp and 338/tq.

dumoulin...how did you like the 4.8L? Daily driver/ the odd tow trip, etc.?

eastcoast
02-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Actually the 4.8 and the 5.3 are the exact same bore size,the 5.3 is stroked about 9mm.

yeah I got it backwards,I knew it after I wrote it but was hoping nobody picked up on it:sHa_sarcasticlol:

AB2506
02-28-2011, 08:06 AM
I believe the 5.3, with the shut down cylinders will get better mileage than the 4.8. More power too.

BTW, I just ordered the Ford F150 with the Ecoboost. A 3.5L V6 twin turbo that develops 365HP, 420Lb/ft of torque. 20/29 city/highway. 11,300lbs towing.

waylow
02-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Nothing wrong with chev's powertrain, just a pile of electrical problems, lights quit working, dash cluster flickers, oh yeah and the bumpers have a tendency to fall off around 130-140 thousand kms.