PDA

View Full Version : Chronic fatigue may be reversed

FishingMOM
02-26-2011, 11:26 PM
I posted this article because the docs say I have this, however I have refused to listen to them. I have tried to stay active and it seems like my stubborn, pigheaded attitude was the right one to have. Its great to know there is a cure, and something we can do ourselves.

Taking it easy is not the best treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome, rather exercise and behaviour therapy are, a large study finds.

For years, patient groups warned such treatments could be dangerous, instead promoting a strategy known as adaptive pacing — which advises patients to adjust to their illness by simply doing less. But the biggest study of chronic fatigue found that approach didn't help.

The research, published Friday in the medical journal, Lancet, concluded that behaviour and exercise seemed to moderately reduce fatigue and improve activity levels, while pacing and medical care wasn't much help.

The findings also suggests the crippling condition can sometimes be reversed.

"I hope more people will be convinced you can treat chronic fatigue syndrome and that this isn't necessarily something people will have forever," said Hans Knoop, a clinical psychologist at the Expert Centre for Chronic Fatigue in Nijmegen, the Netherlands, who co-authored an editorial on the research, which was funded by the U.K. Medical Research Council and others.

Chronic fatigue syndrome affects up to two per cent of people worldwide. It is characterized by persistent tiredness, muscle pain, insomnia and memory problems. The cause is unknown, though the syndrome can be triggered by certain viral infections and there is no cure.

In the study conducted across the U.K., British researchers analyzed common treatment approaches:

Cognitive behaviour therapy, which uses psychology to address fears of activity.
Exercise such as walking to boost energy.
Adaptive pacing.
Medical care, including self-help advice and drugs for insomnia or pain.
More than 600 British patients were divided into four groups, and each given a strategy for around six months. The first group received just medical care while the remainder received medical care and one of the strategies. Patients were then monitored for up to one year to see if the strategy had any permanent effect.

Since pacing is championed by many patient groups, scientists wanted to test whether it works. Previous patient surveys have suggested behavioural and exercise therapy make people worse, though the study found all treatments tested were safe.

Knoop said the behavioural and exercise therapies may have worked by convincing patients they can recover, leading to an actual improvement.

Still, the treatments only helped about 60 per cent of patients and researchers were unsure how long the results lasted.

"Even with the best therapies we have, four out of 10 people don't improve," said Peter White, a professor of psychological medicine at the Queen Mary University of London, who led the study.

"This is a genuinely disabling condition and we need to do more to determine how to enhance current therapies."

Lefty-Canuck
02-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Maybe its because you stay up late reading the forums and making really long posts after doing tonnes of research??

...but seriously it would be a tough thing to deal with and its look like you have a good handle on the situation and things to help you out.

Lefty

KegRiver
02-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks Fishingmom, that is good to hear.

FishingMOM
02-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Maybe its because you stay up late reading the forums and making really long posts after doing tonnes of research??

...but seriously it would be a tough thing to deal with and its look like you have a good handle on the situation and things to help you out.

Lefty

Lefty I love doing research.
ALso understand that I pretty much swim every day. My attitude towards this has always been NO WAY.

There are lots of people who suffer from this and other strange ailments which greatly affect their lives and it is good to show and share with others when there is something positive which can help.

Lefty-Canuck
02-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Mom I couldn't agree with you more. I do tonnes of research too, hence the reason I am up this time of night reading forums etc. If I offended it was not my intention, my own lack of sleep makes me a bit goofy with my dry sense of humour.

Cheers and all the best!

Lefty

FishingMOM
02-26-2011, 11:59 PM
Mom I couldn't agree with you more. I do tonnes of research too, hence the reason I am up this time of night reading forums etc. If I offended it was not my intention, my own lack of sleep makes me a bit goofy with my dry sense of humour.

Cheers and all the best!

Lefty

Its okay Lefty, no offense taken.
Besides its quiet with stinky fast asleep. A good time to read and learn new things.

Grizzly Adams
02-27-2011, 08:45 AM
I've always lookesd at it as a symptom of depression. Cure is to get off your ass and do something physical.:lol: The less you move, the worse you feel.

Grizz

Nester
02-27-2011, 03:43 PM
I've always lookesd at it as a symptom of depression. Cure is to get off your ass and do something physical.:lol: The less you move, the worse you feel.

Grizz

This :snapoutofit:

FishingMOM
02-27-2011, 05:08 PM

Grizz

Hun,
While in some cases it can be a symptom in relation to depression.
You will note that it is brought on by a virus. It can also have other diagnosis along with it. There are lots of reasons this happens to people but to say someone should get off their arse is very unfair and a blatant ignorant statement.

Jimboy
02-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Head fer the Legion :happy0180:

Grizzly Adams
02-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Hun,
While in some cases it can be a symptom in relation to depression.
You will note that it is brought on by a virus. It can also have other diagnosis along with it. There are lots of reasons this happens to people but to say someone should get off their arse is very unfair and a blatant ignorant statement.

Speaking from personal observation here.:D Friend of ours daughter fits the scenario. always tired, can't be bothered to do any activity, sleeps most of the day, except when she goes to the gym to lose weight, a battle she is losing badly. Then she spends most of the night on the computer and repeats the cycle. Nothing physically wrong with this woman. Doesn't fit your profile, does it?:lol:

Grizz

FishingMOM
02-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Speaking from personal observation here.:D Friend of ours daughter fits the scenario. always tired, can't be bothered to do any activity, sleeps most of the day, except when she goes to the gym to lose weight, a battle she is losing badly. Then she spends most of the night on the computer and repeats the cycle. Doesn't fit your profile, does it?:lol:
Grizz

Grizz

You have offended more than one member.
Some have refused to comment here for they don't feel they should reveal their medical history.

It isnt about getting out of bed for many of us. It is misconceptions like that make sufferers be silent. So many have never sought medical attention. There is a great shame in many of these things. Few are willing to speak out and when they do they are belittled, insulted.

This is no different than someone having migraines and some docs dont believe them.
I am sure if this was a conversation about erectile dysfunction that there wouldn't be the insults.

Nester
02-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Waiting in line for this also I bet.....more taxpayers $$$ out the door

http://www.seniors.alberta.ca/aish/

pikergolf
02-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Fishing Mon my hats off to you:happy0034: I've watched my neighbor suffer with this for 20 yrs. He suffers in silence and I can't help but think that you, with going public would be a hero to him. You never know what life is going to deal you, and I think the worst deal is having to suffer alone.

horsetrader
02-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Grizz

You have offended more than one member.
Some have refused to comment here for they don't feel they should reveal their medical history.

It isnt about getting out of bed for many of us. It is misconceptions like that make sufferers be silent. So many have never sought medical attention. There is a great shame in many of these things. Few are willing to speak out and when they do they are belittled, insulted.

This is no different than someone having migraines and some docs dont believe them.
I am sure if this was a conversation about erectile dysfunction that there wouldn't be the insults.

I don't think grizzly has offended anyone. He is just saying in a little bunter way what you say you do yourself,....."I posted this article because the docs say I have this, however I have refused to listen to them. I have tried to stay active and it seems like my stubborn, pigheaded attitude was the right one to have. Its great to know there is a cure, and something we can do ourselves."........Both my brother and I were diagnosed with CFS over 20 years ago him 5 years before me .He fell in to the group that did basically nothing because of that he could not hold don a job some days he is ok some day he can barely function. Because of what this does to your life depression is something he fights all the time. So grizz. is not far off. I decided it was my life and I would fight so I work 12 to 14 hours a day then have a wood shop for afterwards.I also fish boat and quad.Some times I sleep 2-3 hrs a night for 2 or3 nights then I will get a good nights sleep. But every morning I fight to get my azz out of bed or off the couch and make myself move as Grizz said ,maybe he was not politicly correct the was he said it but he was basically right. Because of this get up and go attitude I was able to run my own business in Ont. and start a new one here in Alberta.

blacknorthernjk
02-27-2011, 10:29 PM

ha ha ha...oh yes there would be!

blacknorthernjk
02-28-2011, 12:20 AM
I may have erectile dysfunction...I'll come out and be the first to admit it, I'm not sure I do, but I might...years ago I used to be greeted by my familiar friend standing tall and proud first thing in the morning without fail....sadly, I don't see much of my friend anymore, sometimes he fails to make an appearence all together, generally at the most inopportune of times when you're expecting him the most...oh well...I'm going to try a rigorous excercise routine and see if I can catch the attention of my old friend again

horsetrader
02-28-2011, 12:27 AM
I may have erectile dysfunction...I'll come out and be the first to admit it, I'm not sure I do, but I might...years ago I used to be greeted by my familiar friend standing tall and proud first thing in the morning without fail....sadly, I don't see much of my friend anymore, sometimes he fails to make an appearence all together, generally at the most inopportune of times when you're expecting him the most...oh well...I'm going to try a rigorous excercise routine and see if I can catch the attention of my old friend again

It may be one of those problems you have to solve with your own two hands

blacknorthernjk
02-28-2011, 02:12 AM
It may be one of those problems you have to solve with your own two hands

...it's a daily battle :(