PDA

View Full Version : apprentice question

mike780
02-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Company is looking at hiring me on but they have no Journeyman and im still a 4th year apprentice... can they do that? what would happen if i took the job,would i still be able to go to school to finish my program???

im kinda confused at this point what todo.

should i just take my box and :scared0018:

any help would be great.... ill be phoning apprenticeship board monday.

catnthehat
02-26-2011, 11:52 PM
What's your trade?
If it's a compulsory trade, I don't think so, but if it's a non mandatory trade, yup.
Depending on the how the company is set up they can get around the JM deal as well, if someone in the company holds a ticket, like the foreman, etc.

Cat

mudbug
02-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Phone the apprentice board, they're the only ones who can tell you for sure. If your not comfortable talking to them have a friend phone for you about it :)

ww2269
02-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Of course they can still hire you. The only catch is that i dont think they can credit you your aprenticeship hours for you for your time worked there unless they have a J-man somewhere in the company.:)

mike780
02-27-2011, 12:03 AM
What's your trade?
If it's a compulsory trade, I don't think so, but if it's a non mandatory trade, yup.
Depending on the how the company is set up they can get around the JM deal as well, if someone in the company holds a ticket, like the foreman, etc.

Cat

heavy equipment tech

mike780
02-27-2011, 12:05 AM
almost positive there is no JM in the company

catnthehat
02-27-2011, 12:09 AM
heavy equipment tech

Not a compulsory trade, automotive is however.
You can get your hours credited, they just have to stamp your book.
Cat

MK2750
02-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Not a compulsory trade, automotive is however.
You can get your hours credited, they just have to stamp your book.
Cat

I know this was the case as I have the ticket. I was having coffee with a guy that is also in the trade and he said a bunch of changes have been made since I was working with him.

I am not sure what they are but it was something along the lines of different certification for off road only/hyway rigs/ag etc.

Compulsory or not? I don't know as he works for a big company and it may just be their policies.

ctd
02-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Depending on the size of the company and if he works on his own equipment he may have the ability to sign off on his own equipment. If this is the case then he can sign off on your hours.
More then likely he either has his cerfiticate or has a partner with one somewhere.

eastcoast
02-27-2011, 09:44 AM
heavy equipment tech

that's a compulsary trade.

http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/quick_facts/pdf/designated_trades_certification.pdf

t/c 25-06
02-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Call the apprenticeship board there always willing to work with a guy. you don't have to work directly under a journey man you just have to be in phone contact.

Topwater
02-27-2011, 10:51 AM
If there is no JM around then then there is also nobody to learn from either? Even though your almost done and will have your papers in no time there will be nobody around to help you grow and mature in your trade. I've been in my trade for 15 plus years and can always learn something from other tradesman. Even when I get a new helper/laborer they often have something valuable to offer that they picked up from a previous tradesman they worked with. Good tradesman are always learning, it's just easier when other tradesman are around. Something to think about anyways. I really don't think the apprenticeship board will have a problem. You've been to school 3 times now and are pretty much done. If your trade was setup at all like mine then your last year school will only be 20% new material anyways. The way they look at it is the sooner your ticketed then that's one more shop that can now sign up and take on a first year. Alberta is desperate for tradesman and I've seen the apprenticeship board do some pretty dumb things just to get people tickets. I'm not trying to talk you out of it or anything, just some things to think about. On the other had if your not presently working then get over there lol.
Steve

catnthehat
02-27-2011, 11:48 AM
that's a compulsary trade.

http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/quick_facts/pdf/designated_trades_certification.pdf

They must have changed this in the last few years !
I never could figure out why HD mechanic was an optional trade anyway!
Cat

t/c 25-06
02-27-2011, 03:06 PM
They must have changed this in the last few years !
I never could figure out why HD mechanic was an optional trade anyway!
Cat

Been like that as long as i can remember. any trade that has an impact on public safety is a compulsary trade, hd, auto , welder, plumber ect.
not all aspects of hd are off road.

eastcoast
02-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Been like that as long as i can remember. any trade that has an impact on public safety is a compulsary trade, hd, auto , welder, plumber ect.
not all aspects of hd are off road.

what about carpenter? power line tech? sprinkler installer?

t/c 25-06
02-27-2011, 03:16 PM
what about carpenter? power line tech? sprinkler installer?

power line tech is not because it doesn't effect public safety. don't know how that works i don't make the rules.:confused:

eastcoast
02-27-2011, 03:18 PM
power line tech is not because it doesn't effect public safety. don't know how that works i don't make the rules.:confused:

I don't know about you but id rather have power to my house, or the grid than a bad hair cut:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Jar4500
02-27-2011, 03:21 PM
A journyman has to sign your blue book.

t/c 25-06
02-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Pretty bad when the guy cutting your hair has to be certified and the guy running power to your house can be pluck off the street with no training at all.:)
www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/.../designated_trades_certification.pdf -

t/c 25-06
02-27-2011, 03:34 PM
call the apprenticeship board i have my hd cert. and welder cert. and I didn't have a journeyman for my welding , my supervisor signed my book who only had his hd. There both compulsory trades. Call and they will help you out.