PDA

View Full Version : Hows the Badger derby going

deepfried
02-27-2011, 10:23 AM
So due to other plans this weekend I wasent able to attend the badger lake derby. :angry3: Just wondering if people have any information rolling in on how it is going ?

Alpine Archer
02-27-2011, 10:59 AM
We fished Friday and Saturday. All the biggest fish were brought in Friday morning. When we left the leader was just over 27lbs. I don't think anyone weighed a fish yesterday, at least none that showed up on the board.
Fishing was really slow. Only landed one 5lb fish in our group of 6 :angry3:
We had a great time though! -35 plus windchill on Friday morning...good ol redneck alberta fun :sHa_shakeshout:

tacklerunner
02-27-2011, 11:39 AM
The only qualifying fish weighed in yesterday was a 20.6 which crept into 5th. The leader is still 27+ Very very slow. Would not be surprised if the leaderboard doesn't change.

bucktaker
02-27-2011, 04:53 PM
largest was still 27 @ 1:00 this afternoon. Still think something is strange.Not having sour grapes or anything but 5 fish that size right away in the morning. thinking a few caught a little before start time :thinking-006:(my opinion which i am entitled to). -35 friday morning -45 with the wind. It was a great time fishing was really slow.

tacklerunner
02-27-2011, 05:16 PM
20.6 weighed in at 5:50 PM last night which placed 5th and then a 23+ today which bumped it out of 5th. Was not there early enough on Fri morn but speaking to those who were, the bite was on. However, never fails that big ones are weighed in during the first hour or 2. Top 3 were weighed between 8 - 10 am Friday so take it for what it's worth.

WayneChristie
02-27-2011, 06:32 PM
20.6 weighed in at 5:50 PM last night which placed 5th and then a 23+ today which bumped it out of 5th. Was not there early enough on Fri morn but speaking to those who were, the bite was on. However, never fails that big ones are weighed in during the first hour or 2. Top 3 were weighed between 8 - 10 am Friday so take it for what it's worth.

exact reason I didnt enter it this year.

harrydude
02-27-2011, 06:44 PM
yup the first derby I was in
and the big one cam from our group...@ 27.18 pounds

caught in 9.4 feet of water..... on an air plane jig with no bait.....

and yes it was cold.........................but the drinks were great no need for ice....

and the moose stew and steaks were even better.....

great time had by all

tacklerunner
02-27-2011, 06:49 PM
yup the first derby I was in
and the big one cam from our group...@ 27.18 pounds

caught in 9.4 feet of water..... on an air plane jig with no bait.....

and yes it was cold.........................but the drinks were great no need for ice....

and the moose stew and steaks were even better.....

great time had by all

Good on you guys. Derbys are fun no matter what. Drinks immunize you from the cold. It's still cold but it doesn't matter as much. There's something about cooking meat on the ice that you just can't get anywhere else.

harrydude
02-27-2011, 06:52 PM
and it gets better

my wifey is unloading most of the trailer

yeah meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

crblair
02-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Do you guys have any pictures of these big fish?? The 27lbder??

harrydude
02-27-2011, 07:00 PM
yes but the otheres have to unload their own gear....

lolol

New Hunter Okotoks
02-27-2011, 07:08 PM

Actually it was 21.6lb and was brought in at 5:57! That was me! LOL!!!

My name was still on the board at 11:30 this morning when I went in for a burger but got bumped sometime after that.( I found out when I got to the chow shack at 2:55 hoping to grab my $200!)

I also got a 16lb Friday morning and was less than shocked to find out bigger fish had been weighed in so early.

tacklerunner
02-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Actually it was 21.6lb and was brought in at 5:57! That was me! LOL!!!

My name was still on the board at 11:30 this morning when I went in for a burger but got bumped sometime after that.( I found out when I got to the chow shack at 2:55 hoping to grab my $200!)

I also got a 16lb Friday morning and was less than shocked to find out bigger fish had been weighed in so early.

Nevertheless, good job! Keep it up and the money will come.

Vanguard trails
02-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Hello you all
Harry dude you are a lucky bugger
Not as lucky as I
sorry guys just an inside joke

ps I'm the lucky bugger that landed a 27.18 lb pike
Pictures to follow sorry about the ugly face but it's the only one I have.

pss Thanks for all the help from my fishing partners.

New Hunter Okotoks
02-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Hello you all
Not as lucky as I

I was talking with 1 of the guys in your group at the quonset just before 3:00and he said that it was a relief to know that at least 2 or 3 of the top 5 fish this year were 100% legit.

Congrats,nice fish.

BTW, the guy I was talking with from your group was the one that has been going for 17 years and has won absolutely nothing LOL!

cujo1969
02-27-2011, 09:18 PM
LOL that funny wen u say the fish were legit wat makes u think some arent? We were accused 1 yr of catching it early and we wernt even at the lake till fri so many rumours go around. Wanna see some pics of the winner. Didnt get a bite in 2 days fishing lol.

sonny42
02-27-2011, 09:25 PM
I caught a 24lb 2ounce pike between 9-930am, friday morning used the weight station on the north shore i was the the first fish weighted at that station, this pike got me 3rd place on sunday afternoon, fishing was slow most of the weekend.

crblair
02-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Im still waiting for someone to put up some pictures of these hogs!

Gators
03-01-2011, 10:13 AM
How was the turnout? Did it look like it had sold out this year? Just curious.

harrydude
03-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Hello you all
Not as lucky as I

stilll waiting on pictures

usie33
03-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Lets see these pics..... also i was watching the underwater cam at the derby and managed to see 2 pike and one white fish in the same screen. i never knew there were whitefish in there, do people ever target them? is there anything thing else in there? Maybe some burbs...

AlbertaAngler
03-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Lets see these pics..... also i was watching the underwater cam at the derby and managed to see 2 pike and one white fish in the same screen. i never knew there were whitefish in there, do people ever target them? is there anything thing else in there? Maybe some burbs...

I saw a lot of whites on the camera as well. Also saw a couple perch. Don't know about the burbs but I would be suprised if there wasn't.

tacklerunner
03-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Yes there's burbs in there too. Some big ones however I don't know any who target them. I don't think they are as plentiful ask some other lakes.

Gust
03-02-2011, 12:43 PM
The Burbs are quite big, but best caught at night, they also taste really good from Badger. I think it's because it's a relatively small fishery with a good movement/change-up of water. The Whitefish are best caught while walking the causeway and casting a bobber with wireworm or cut the tail off of smelts and bobber them too. The walleye are elusive but a hefty dandy type when you hit into them.

New Hunter Okotoks
03-02-2011, 12:57 PM
The Burbs are quite big, but best caught at night, they also taste really good from Badger. I think it's because it's a relatively small fishery with a good movement/change-up of water. The Whitefish are best caught while walking the causeway and casting a bobber with wireworm or cut the tail off of smelts and bobber them too. The walleye are elusive but a hefty dandy type when you hit into them.

I had heard that about the Walleye but have yet to find someone with a camera who has seen 1. I assume that if I caught 1 in Badger it's legal to take home?(by the way I interpret the regs anyways.)

Daceminnow
03-02-2011, 01:00 PM
I had heard that about the Walleye but have yet to find someone with a camera who has seen 1. I assume that if I caught 1 in Badger it's legal to take home?(by the way I interpret the regs anyways.)

seen some on the camera last winter and they were good ones. deep. witnessed a 28" fish caught during the derby last year.

chubbdarter
03-02-2011, 01:05 PM
track Badger's water source

Gust
03-02-2011, 01:16 PM

Yes you can keep the Walleye and way back in the threads a fellow has a nice one he caught by accident. Just after ice last year and 2008, you couldn't keep them off your hook in the bay beside the outflow of the incoming canal. Then it just shuts down completely.

Daceminnow
03-02-2011, 01:22 PM

LBR no?

Dale S
03-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Will driving around on Sat. we saw a group that were holding up a nice walleye maybe 5 or 6lbs. Look like they just caught it, they were taking pictures with it. Look like they kept it, I will bet it tasted good.

WayneChristie
03-02-2011, 06:24 PM
LBR no?

Thats one of the reservoirs it feeds.

chubbdarter
03-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Thats one of the reservoirs it feeds.

Badger feeds LBR?

WayneChristie
03-02-2011, 06:36 PM

that wasnt the question. meaning LBR feeds Badger as well as another res

chubbdarter
03-02-2011, 06:49 PM
alls good- you changed it

lovich12
03-02-2011, 09:38 PM
If i'm not mistaken (I could very well be wrong) but doesn't the bow feed badger? and then badger feeds lonesome lake? and travers feeds LBR? Thats the way i thought it worked but i could very well be wrong :thinking-006:

WayneChristie
03-02-2011, 10:30 PM
check it out on google earth, great way to see what goes where

deepfried
03-03-2011, 10:55 AM
if anyone has any pictures , please post em up !!!!!!!!!!

harrydude
03-05-2011, 07:15 PM
finally got some pictures

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss207/harrydude69/Badger%202011/2011_0227Feb2820110110-1.jpg

there is steve holding his catch

and there is me filling the tub with water

prosnowsk8er
03-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Nice fish!!

young
03-07-2011, 07:07 PM
why do people always assume cheating someone does good and right away they cheated. i ended with 4th place didnt put lines in the water until just before 8:00 friday mourning caught the fish at about 10:30. out of all the big pike that my family and i have caught at badger derby 90% have been caught friday mourning. believe this is do to the noise (vehicles). looks like your 27lber was short but huge gut, thats how mine was about 38" but had a big gut. 27 heck of a fish.

sonny42
03-08-2011, 02:00 PM
That is so true Young, a few people have said some people cheated at Badger, but if someone is calling cheater one better have proof or shut up. The first fish was weigthed in between 9-930 am on friday morning, does not look like cheating to me.

nicemustang
03-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Doesn't newell feed badger? Or other way around...can't remember.

Anyway, I'll post a little secret. Since I'm moving back to SK, all you people who might have though this thread was dead but still check, can get a little tip. If you succeed, pls PM and I will send you my address and you can send me some beer LOL.

There is walleye in the lake that ALWAYS get there in spring. Only one problem. They don't stay for long. Locals know where they go and how to get them easily. I'm sure a couple still remain but one way to get them isn't hard to understand. As soon as water warms and weeds come up, it makes it much more difficult. Plus, with no regs on badger walleye, they are all kept.

Actually I won't post exactly how, but give some simple hints. If anyone want to PM me for more info, be happy to help. Lets all think of classic ways to catch walleye. Hard structure! And where do walleye tend to hang out in early early ice off until the water warms? Where theres food. And where is there an abundance amount of food usually in a reservoir? Current! Any quesses where there is current at Badger?

I hope people don't get ****y at me for this. Oh well, I'm moving to SK so I don't care!

huntsfurfish
03-08-2011, 03:34 PM
"I hope people don't get ****y at me for this. Oh well, I'm moving to SK so I don't care!"

Ok so,

your moving, so why say anything? Why shouldnt people be ticked at you.

Guess I better leave it at that. I cant say what Im thinking or Ill get suspended or banned.

nicemustang
03-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Well if you were a good fisherman, you wouldn't need to be told this!

huntsfurfish
03-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Somebody is full of themself and other things:)

nicemustang
03-08-2011, 04:01 PM
OUCH! Well if that's what you think then good for you. And I'll post this so to help people, but still get bashed for it. Why take part in a forum if you don't help people? Just to bitch and moan?? What do you bring to the table?

So instead of the hudderites taking all the fish, might as well someone on here can go and do the same. This is what the forum is SUPPOSED to be all about.

New Hunter Okotoks
03-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Doesn't newell feed badger? Or other way around...can't remember.

Anyway, I'll post a little secret. Since I'm moving back to SK, all you people who might have though this thread was dead but still check, can get a little tip. If you succeed, pls PM and I will send you my address and you can send me some beer LOL.

There is walleye in the lake that ALWAYS get there in spring. Only one problem. They don't stay for long. Locals know where they go and how to get them easily. I'm sure a couple still remain but one way to get them isn't hard to understand. As soon as water warms and weeds come up, it makes it much more difficult. Plus, with no regs on badger walleye, they are all kept.

Actually I won't post exactly how, but give some simple hints. If anyone want to PM me for more info, be happy to help. Lets all think of classic ways to catch walleye. Hard structure! And where do walleye tend to hang out in early early ice off until the water warms? Where theres food. And where is there an abundance amount of food usually in a reservoir? Current! Any quesses where there is current at Badger?

I hope people don't get ****y at me for this. Oh well, I'm moving to SK so I don't care!

Thanks Mustang. I have fished Badger for 3 years and only found out a few weeks ago that it has the odd Walleye in it. I assumed that there were just a few "leftovers" from a highwater year or something. I think I will head out at first ice off and try for some. Thanks for the tip.

huntsfurfish
03-08-2011, 04:27 PM
"OUCH! Well if that's what you think then good for you. And I'll post this so to help people, but still get bashed for it. Why take part in a forum if you don't help people? Just to bitch and moan?? What do you bring to the table?"

Sorry, calls em as I sees em.

Whos says I dont help people? More than willing to help anyone on here(and have), but...

You probably now how I feel about mentioning names of lakes and hot spots. It increases pressure and such - but why should you care, your moving.

MoFugger21
03-08-2011, 04:53 PM
"OUCH! Well if that's what you think then good for you. And I'll post this so to help people, but still get bashed for it. Why take part in a forum if you don't help people? Just to bitch and moan?? What do you bring to the table?"

Whos says I dont help people? More than willing to help anyone on here(and have), but...

You probably now how I feel about mentioning names of lakes and hot spots. It increases pressure and such - but why should you care, your moving.

Lol, yes... cause Nicemustang mentioning a fairly widely-known fact (walleye being in Badger), is going to majorly increase the fishing pressure on Badger..... Anyone I've ever talked to, that has fished this lake at all, knows that there are some walleye in the lake, I don't think it's a very big secret. So relax.

Guess what..... there's big pike in the lake too....... :rolleye2:

Fishfinder
03-08-2011, 05:00 PM
finally got some pictures

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss207/harrydude69/Badger%202011/2011_0227Feb2820110110-1.jpg

there is steve holding his catch

and there is me filling the tub with water

Is that Steve...or....Donald Sutherland!!:sHa_sarcasticlol::scared0018:JK
Nice pic!:)

Whiskey
03-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks mustang

nicemustang
03-08-2011, 05:25 PM

I intend to do it for a lot more lakes than badger before I leave. Oh-no, your hotspots will be gone! What will you do?

harrydude
03-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Is that Steve...or....Donald Sutherland!!:sHa_sarcasticlol::scared0018:JK
Nice pic!:)

lmao

good one made me laugh