PDA

View Full Version : Winter Fishing Trip (Family Fun)

Rock Doctor
02-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Temps were forcasted to be good for last weekend (-8C to -15C, with dips down to -23C), so we headed out fishing and exploring around our cabin for a few days. I got everything loaded up the night before, but didn't really believe the forcast, so I backed my trailer into the shop for the night. Good thing as the morning temp as we were getting the last few things togeather was -31C. That's just too cold to take the family out, but we were hoping it would warm up a bit by the time we made it to the drop point for the Argo's.
Off we went, temps had warmed up quite a bit in the 2hr drive to where we unloaded the machines. I figure it was about -17 when we left the truck. I had made a trip in 2 weekends before to break the trail to the cabins.
Here is a clip from the trip in, found something a little unusual on the way. Actually there is something a little unusual about each of these clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nkwdJXeXgI

On the first day out, after we got to the cabins, the kids and I went out and opened up some of the trails around the area. Snowmobiles had not been down some of them yet. Wife kept an eye on the chickens roasting in the oven. When I figured it was closse to supper time, we headed back to camp. Here is a look at some of the unbroken trails:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Ymd7K730o

Second day out kids wanted to spend some time fishing, so I went out and built a fishing camp on the ice. Started to run into "Overflow" all over the place. Almost got stuck a few times, so I never did try to get to some of what I thought would be the better places to fish. To far away, and too much of a chance of getting stuck alone. I set up close enough to home that I could walk to the cabin if I had to.
Here is "Fishcamp"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nukOYb2e7Mg

Well, after a spectacularily unsuccessfull day of fishing, we spent the evening playing games (Yatzee), reading stories and coloring.
On day 3, we decided to try to go some places that we can't get to in the summer. We started heading up one of the bigger inlet creeks to the lake. Lots of snow drifts to play in. We finally made it to a Beaver Dam that was just too much to get over easily. We worked at it for a few minutes, but then decided to play in the snow for a while before heading home.
This was fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx1pyB6O0m4

On day 4 it was time to go home. I knew I was pushing my luck with the weather. It was -27C outside that last morning. My Conquest with the recient battery upgrade started up fine. The other machine, having ignition issues at the moment, didn't do so well. I had to fire up the generator, and put an electric heater under the hood for about an hour. Finally got that one to fire up, but now I was concerned about my truck. Damn Diesels hate the cold, so I loaded up the generator, heaters, battery charger, ect and brought them out to the truck with me.........just in case.
By the time we got away, it had warmed up a bit, we left the cabins at about noon. The trail, now well packed, was no trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdB_DN946Uc

Overall, I was very impressed with my oldest daughter, you might notice in all the vids that it's her driving the second machine. She is 7yrs old at the moment.

Hope you enjoyed the trip
RD

go-big-or-go-home
02-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Looks like a good time for sure. Good for you guys! Thanks for sharing!

Garry B
02-27-2011, 12:30 PM
What an awesome family fun time! Your daughter is a real champ the way she handled that machine. I enjoyed watching. Thanks for posting your adventure.

horsetrader
02-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Your trips are awesome I love watching them. Your family truly enjoys the out doors it is great to see. Keep up the videos.

Daceminnow
02-27-2011, 07:07 PM
thanks for posting doctor. great videos. what an awesome family adventure. those kids will remember that trip for a lifetime. i'd never thought i'd miss the swamp spruce and muskeg of the north county. i was wrong. keep giving those kids true alberta outdoor adventures that most people will never experience in a lifetime! good on you.

Rock Doctor
02-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Glad you enjoyed the clips:) . The kids are already talking about when we will go again. They think they will catch fish for sure next time. Too bad there was so much water on the ice, makes it hard to move around much. Ideally I would have liked to fish the North or East sides, but there was not much chance of getting there with the family.

RD

horsetrader
02-28-2011, 12:46 PM
I watched your other videos on u tube winter and summer.The trail you show going into your cabin is wild. Is that the only access to cabin and lake. Looks like beautiful spot is it a private lake.

Rock Doctor
02-28-2011, 04:34 PM
There are about 5 ways to get there, some trails cross each other. Makes for an interesting tangle sometimes. I know of a few different parties that spent the night on the trail, lost.
Not a private lake at all, anyone can go there. I've caught myself refering to it as "our lake" a few times, but that's just a fantacy:)

RD

horsetrader
02-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Well when your secluded in an area like that its easy to feel that what you see is yours can't blame you...lol. Quite a few years ago back in Ont. I had an old ampha cat was not as good as an argo but had a lot of fun. Forgot just how much fun it was until I started watching your videos. Thinking now about getting rid of my quad and getting an argo. Are your fairly new or are they older ones you rebuilt.

the local angler
02-28-2011, 09:57 PM
hey rock doctor i love the new game you invented, the "KID TOSS" that was funny as hell. great vids

mudbug
02-28-2011, 10:55 PM
:happy0034:

Rock Doctor
03-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Well when your secluded in an area like that its easy to feel that what you see is yours can't blame you...lol. Quite a few years ago back in Ont. I had an old ampha cat was not as good as an argo but had a lot of fun. Forgot just how much fun it was until I started watching your videos. Thinking now about getting rid of my quad and getting an argo. Are your fairly new or are they older ones you rebuilt.

These are older machines but not OLD ones. One is a 2004, and the other is a 1997. I have rebuilt most of both of them, but there are still a few things to do to them. I have a new 27hp engine sitting on the shop floor at home ready to drop into one of them.

These are both "Conquests", and if a guy was thinking about getting an Argo, this is what I would recommend. Easy to work on, bulletproof, easy to drive, won't cost you an arm and a leg (I have less into each of these machines than it costs for a Track Kit for a new Argo)

RD

horsetrader
03-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the information will keep that in mind when i'm looking.
What area are you from.

Sooner
03-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Can you tell me if those are rubber tracks or the older plastic ones. My dad is looking to up grade his old 6 wheeler to a newer one and some have the old plastic ones. I know the rubber ones are better but when they come with a machine beggers cant be too choosy. Thanks, great videos, want to take the old 6 wheeler for a rip now and burn some doughnuts.

Rock Doctor
03-02-2011, 09:36 AM
The Argo with the top on it has 18" Supertracks, and the other one has 14" rubber tracks.
In the deep loose snow, the plastic ones are better (Floatation), in the overflow, the rubber are better (No iceing issues)

RD