PDA

View Full Version : Going single?

chewydog
02-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Is it just me or are there a lot of marriages breaking up? In my age group 40-45 alot of my friends are calling it quits, kids or not!!!

Just wondering if this is widespread or is it in our job group???

Power engineering!:argue2::argue2::argue2:

rugatika
02-27-2011, 12:24 PM
It's everywhere.

lilsundance
02-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Its everywhere. Biggest problem (IMHO) is the fact that one of the two (usually the male) is having to work away from home to make ends meet. Money is also a factor, as in not having any.

2 Tollers
02-27-2011, 12:34 PM
There is also a lot of break ups occuring in the retirement group mid 60's. Seems like for this group the man focused on the job and often worked away from the home. Now retirement comes and two people who have not seen much of each other for 20+ years see each other daily. This is one group that I find it sad to see.

30's and 40's often peoples lives and careers change, Lots of stuff can happen. When you reach retirement all the tough stuff in a relationship should be behind you.

duffy4
02-27-2011, 12:55 PM
A kind of vicious circle broken homes lead to more broken homes. Children growing up in an environment where marriage is not seen as permanent have a hard time achieving a permanent marriage.

And like said above "economics" may be partly responsible for the decay of the family unit and marriage.

(poor happy families or wealthy broken homes)

huntinstuff
02-27-2011, 01:28 PM
I can think of 12 marriages at my work that have ended in the past year

Affairs on the job account for most

Albertacoyotecaller
02-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Selfishness, lack of commitment, etc....

Every generation has gone through their trials. People aren't committed as they were before. We are living in a disposable society and it occurs in our marriages as well.

Greg

Topwater
02-27-2011, 02:03 PM

Holy smokes!! Sounds like a very depressing work environment

huntinstuff
02-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Holy smokes!! Sound like a very depressing work environment

One of the "evils" of the Edmonton Police Service......

Topwater
02-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Is it just me or are there a lot of marriages breaking up? In my age group 40-45 alot of my friends are calling it quits, kids or not!!!

Having worked oilpatch since I graduated high school I see mariages falling apart all the time. Its the biggest reason I am transitioning out of it. We are choosing less money in the hope of being happy.
Steve

FishingMOM
02-27-2011, 02:12 PM

Its that way in every police department, fire hall, ems station, army base, etc.
High stress jobs tend to have a high rate of divorce.
Many times the "A" personalities end up carrying much of their stress from work to home. They also tend to avoid talking about their day because often their spouses really don't care to hear that they saw dead babies, burnt bodies, drug addicts, and all the other negatives.

HunterDan
02-27-2011, 02:12 PM

I think the shift work has more to do with it then the actual career. Night shifts don't make for a happy wife, or happy life.

huntinstuff
02-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Its that way in every police department, fire hall, ems station, army base, etc.
High stress jobs tend to have a high rate of divorce.
Many times the "A" personalities end up carrying much of their stress from work to home. They also tend to avoid talking about their day because often their spouses really don't care to hear that they saw dead babies, burnt bodies, drug addicts, and all the other negatives.

and in some type of logic that I can't understand, sticking it in a female police member seems to make it all better......:scared:

It's sickening...especially when the female police officer is married to another police officer......we have had several of those.

Redfrog
02-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Women don't belong on the police force. They are tricksters.

huntinstuff
02-27-2011, 02:35 PM

Suddenly, the clouds seemed to roll in and the distant thunder of a thousand female voices could be heard in the distance.....growing ever louder.......:)and "huntinstuff" knew he had opened a pandoras box of sorts.......and the one known as "Redfrog" literally tore the lid off of the pandoras box and heaved it to the wind........

Redfrog
02-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Damn the torpedos, The lord hates a coward.:sHa_shakeshout:

FishingMOM
02-27-2011, 02:45 PM

There is nothing more sexist than your statement.
I am sure you would rather it be the 1950's where women stay home in the kitchen cooking and baking and pregnant.
Well the world has changed and we will never get back to that. Thankfully.

huntinstuff
02-27-2011, 02:48 PM
I am sure you would rather it be the 1950's where women stay home in the kitchen cooking and baking and pregnant.

Not that I agree with Redfrog's statement, but there was a certain charm that June Cleaver had that I never really recovered from.......

HunterDan
02-27-2011, 02:57 PM

So are you looking down your nose at my wife who is at home pregant and baking my daughters birthday cake?:argue2:
Kind of sounds to me like your not a very good cook.

Redfrog
02-27-2011, 03:04 PM

You are correct it is sexist. Does that make me a bad guy?

You'll have to do more selling if you want me to agree with you about the 1950's. I was there. I lived it. before disposable kids, throw away families and no respect for life or personal property were the norm.

I realize it isn't all that way today and it wasn't perfect then, but I prefer what life was then to what it is now. The benefits of today's lifestyle come with a huge price tag.

unclebuck
02-27-2011, 03:23 PM
I have been married to the same girl since 1972. We have had some rough times, and we have had some really good times. She is still the covergirl that she was then. Both of our kids went to private schools to finish their high school, and both of them have gone on to be productive taxpaying citizens. My son graduated from St. John's at Genesee, and my daughter graduated at the top of her class from St. Angela's in Prelate. The boy is the computer guru for a large Credit Union in Central Alberta. My girl is doing a Masters program in GIS(2 other degrees), and when her program is completed will make her one of the most competent individuals in satellite map reading in North America. Not bad for "gopher choker farmers from Sask." I would think.

FCLightning
02-27-2011, 04:16 PM
and in some type of logic that I can't understand, sticking it in a female police member seems to make it all better......:scared:

It's sickening...especially when the female police officer is married to another police officer......we have had several of those.

It takes two to tango. Or are the male police officers rapists?

huntinstuff
02-27-2011, 04:44 PM
It takes two to tango. Or are the male police officers rapists?

Of course it takes two......but the pattern is like i stated

A rape isnt an affair.....

FishingMOM
02-27-2011, 04:55 PM
So are you looking down your nose at my wife who is at home pregant and baking my daughters birthday cake?:argue2:
Kind of sounds to me like your not a very good cook.

Darling I am far from being not a good cook.
I have never had anyone complain about my cooking, infact many love my meals.
I also maintain a home, manage a business and am a single mom doing it 100% on her own.

Not looking down on your wife. If she can get you to be the bread winner more power to her. Some women like to hold their own.

wwbirds
02-27-2011, 05:07 PM
I think I willl just sit back and watch to see what troubles huntingstuff and redfrog can get into next. I was going to watch the hockey game but this could skate circles around anything on TV:fighting0030::sHa_shakeshout::party0052:.

eastcoast
02-27-2011, 05:10 PM
both me and my wife come from broken homes.my dad liked to drink alot back in his first marriage days,and her dad was a control freak who was abusive,I don't drink nor am I controlling so I think we will be fine.

Walleyes
02-27-2011, 05:20 PM
I do think the oilfield has been hard on marriages in particular the jobs that require men to be on the road. Over the years it has never ceased to amaze me how ignorant men can get when they get away from their families and wives. Its like they forget who they are.

In today's society its all about me, me, me and I have to be happy. Yes it is important for the individual to be happy but sometimes a person has to make sacrifices to keep others happy and society today forgets that. Listen to most of the popular psychologists today and they talk the same thing its all about personal happiness.. What about those kids that are affected ??? or those women,,, sad situations in a lot of cases..

Personally its been 24 years of marriage for me and momma we met just out of highschool and married quite young I was 21 she was 20. Not bad for an old righand that has lived on the road most of the time. But I have always acted like a married man at work. No it hasn't always been easy but why would a man jeopardize what he has at home for a piece of tail,, just never made sense to me. We have raised 3 marvelous boys together,, they really are very well behaved boys. They havent caused either of us an hr of grief over the years. One thing we have always practiced in our house hold is that the family unit is number one and God is the master of our home and we pray together as a family.. When I am home its always about the family we do everything together and spend as much time as we can doing things as a family..

rugatika
02-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Not that I agree with Redfrog's statement, but there was a certain charm that June Cleaver had that I never really recovered from.......

Not that I'm against womens rights or anything, but the 1950's in my mind were the pinnacle of civilization. (and I wasn't there)

fat cat
02-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Huntin and frog, you boy's are in do do. your lucky there ain't more women on this site. You are brave men! I think that all the divorce, and crap that goes on now aday's is because it is so simple. No one wants to try and solve any problems, anymore, just call it quits and move on, easy solution in this fast paced world, we live in. Just like buying a new cell phone. I've been married for 31 yrs. and it is a daily thing both people have to work on. that being said, I married Mrs Right...I just didn't know her first name was Always!

Grizzly Adams
02-27-2011, 06:54 PM

Reminds me of the divorce of one of my wife's co-workers, years ago.:lol: He was a cop that developed an affair with the wife of someone he arrested. Got very entertaining with him stopping the wife on the Deerfoot trail, in uniform, beating on the windows of her car, cause she wouldn't open the door. She set out to get revenge[ Never heard the term Honeymoon Cystitis before]:lol: and he lost his job, over the complications.

Grizz

gramps73
02-27-2011, 06:58 PM
For me I just don't get it 20+ years of marriage and yon now can not live together...

I get it the kids leave and the house is quite and then it is time to play... not...

Marriage is not what it used to be...

FishingMOM
02-27-2011, 06:59 PM
This one I have to love.

She left him over a year ago...........

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO MEND A BROKEN HEART''' I FEEL LIKE I CANT BREATH''' I JUST FOUND OUT MY HUSBAND NOW HAS A GIRLFRIEND"WE HAVE NOT BIN APART THAT LONG"" I REALY THOUGHT HE LOVED ME""AND WANTED TO FIX OUR MARRAGE"""" NOW I AM REALY CONFUSED""""

Redfrog
02-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Huntin and frog, you boy's are in do do. your lucky there ain't more women on this site. You are brave men! I think that all the divorce, and crap that goes on now aday's is because it is so simple. No one wants to try and solve any problems, anymore, just call it quits and move on, easy solution in this fast paced world, we live in. Just like buying a new cell phone. I've been married for 31 yrs. and it is a daily thing both people have to work on. that being said, I married Mrs Right...I just didn't know her first name was Always!

Just mentioning our names may get you on the hit list.:snapoutofit:

You're right of course. It takes a ton of work and in today's world of fast food Mrs. right is often just Miss Right Now.:)

Ken07AOVette
02-27-2011, 07:15 PM
There was a couple that split here a few years ago after being together for ~30 years, not a real huge shock and she was better off if you ask me, but his answer was "I guess I just never told her I loved her....."

Ya, that might be a contributing factor. :scared:

My ex partner decided after 20+ years, at 45 years of age that he needed to sleep with his 17 year old daughter's 16 year old friend. For 6 months.

Hmm, that may have been a contributing factor as well....:thinking-006:

theycallmeNoah
02-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Well this has been an interesting read.

First of all I have to disagree with all of you that think divorce is the easy way out. It's not easy to break up a family and to explain to the kids that mom and dad are not living together.

Some of you seem to be very anti-divorce. What is a woman to do when her husband comes home drunk (yet again) and states that he'd rather be an alcoholic, drug smoking *****hole than a husband and father. Are you suppose to keep your head in the sand and take the abuse or do you get a lawyer and give your kids a better life?

I chose option 2.

Woman's rights are great, they allowed me to be educated so I could buy a house, put husband #1 through school and stand on my own when he turned out to be a real dud. But seriously, I think we've shot ourselves in the foot. We are expected to keep a home, raise the kids, and have successful careers. We've given ourselves too many hats to wear. Add on that women can be complete b!tches and have great opinions about others choices...you work=someone else raising your kid, you stay home=you're not successful.

I just think life is more stressful today, divorce is more accepted, and yes, people seem to be more selfish.

marlin1
02-27-2011, 07:37 PM
I agree with Noah , not an easy way out . Sometimes the only way ,as hard as it is.

Redfrog
02-27-2011, 07:38 PM
I don't believe women or men should stay in a marriage that is abusive, addictive or where there is adultery. I'm not saying people ar perfect and you choose to work through these types of issues, great. But if nothing is improving and you have kids, then it needs to end.

Often the job is blamed. It isn't the job , any more than it's the gun doing the shooting.

Albertacoyotecaller
02-27-2011, 07:44 PM

I don't know about Huntinstuff, but with Froggy it wouldn't matter if his lady from Fargo was on here. He would say the same things he has already said!

I haven't had fun with him in a few years but Froggy has never been known to not say what was on his mind!

Greg

Redfrog
02-27-2011, 07:45 PM
I have a note that allows me to.:)

trophyboy
02-27-2011, 07:52 PM
My wife and I will probably stay married forever because that way we won't make 2 more people miserable. Honestly though it does take some work but I can't imagine having to try to start over again with the mentality of most people nowadays. I also can't imagine trying to raise my kids without a mom and a dad in the home all the time. It's quite pathetic what has happened in the last 15 years or so. We live in a disposable society, if you get tired of something you just toss it away like a piece of trash and move on to the next one and do it all over again and the sad part is no one really cares.

go-big-or-go-home
02-27-2011, 07:56 PM
I read an artical the other day that said nowadays the couples who live with each other before getting married are less likely to end in divorce, over the couples that get married then move in together. Dont know if it has much to do with this, but i found that really interesting.

Redfrog
02-27-2011, 07:59 PM
GBOGH, I heard a radio program that said the opposite.

I just know it's harder than it looks.:)

pecker
02-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Suddenly, the clouds seemed to roll in and the distant thunder of a thousand female voices could be heard in the distance.....growing ever louder.......:)and "huntinstuff" knew he had opened a pandoras box of sorts.......and the one known as "Redfrog" literally tore the lid off of the pandoras box and heaved it to the wind........

well put.:)

DarkAisling
02-27-2011, 09:35 PM

I'm personally starting to think that it is something on the water. 1/3 of my coworkers are going through divorces.

crawfy
02-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Yes i to have a bunch of friends in that same age group going through the BIG D it seems to me that it a classic scenario of the old mid life crisis.

FCLightning
02-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Of course it takes two......but the pattern is like i stated

A rape isnt an affair.....

So why didn't you say "Getting some male officer to stick it in you makes it better?...."

Steven Noel
02-27-2011, 09:54 PM
I would sugget one of the primary reasons for higher divorce rates is that it is more and more culturaly acceptable. Historicaly (perhaps half a century back and further) people were more willing to live in a poor marriage and deal with abuse and neglect rather then face the shame of leaving your spouse.

doetracks
02-27-2011, 10:56 PM
I think the shift work has more to do with it then the actual career. Night shifts don't make for a happy wife, or happy life.

Works both ways. I was ok on the road, hubby was not. Now home every night. HappIER hubby (he's still not 100% happy lol)

Selkirk
02-27-2011, 11:19 PM
. . . Often the job is blamed. It isn't the job , any more than it's the gun doing the shooting.

Once again, Redfrog hits the nail on the head ^ !

If you're looking for the 'culprit', best first look in the mirror.

TF

HunterDan
02-28-2011, 07:03 AM
Not looking down on your wife. If she can get you to be the bread winner more power to her. Some women like to hold their own.

My wife also runs her own business. And she didn't 'Get' me to go work everyday. It just works out that my job pays more than her company does, so far. I will be happy to stay home if/when it takes off.
People look at this the wrong way all the time. It shouldn't matter who is going to stay home to raise the kids. We are a team, I sure wouldn't want to raise my family without her. I definitely don't want some daycare raising my kids. And a homemaker has it just as hard or worse than I do at my job, her job isn't easy, she 'holds her own'

Sporty
02-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Well said HunterDan, many women are homemakers and hold their own, not only do they hold their own, they hold everything together, they are the foundations of the family.

rhuntley12
02-28-2011, 07:33 AM

Seems to be a big problem. I know at my work there are affairs going on all the time, it's really sad. If you want to sleep with others don't get married in the first place.

Skybuster
02-28-2011, 07:40 AM
When I am home its always about the family we do everything together and spend as much time as we can doing things as a family..

There's the key right there. Apart from abusive marriages, time spent together with your family, if that's just a wife, great, if you have kids, include them. There is nothing better to form strong bonds than memories. You and your wife will likely grow closer and even better your kids will develop a bond that will take them into old age.

The point is time spent together is key, but I will add two modifiers that I think really helped us out. Mutual respect, and communication. We were partners, decisions on a major purchase were discussed, our income was both of ours, not mine and hers. We never engaged in the old "If you don't know why I am mad then I'm not telling you" If we had a problem we discussed it, though I can recall at least once where we agreed to walk away, but we did revisit later once we calmed down.

My wife and I have been together over 25 years. It hasn't been perfect but it has been pretty damn good. We spend a lot of time together. There are certain things we do separately but for the most part we do it together. We met playing volleyball and continued to play together for 20 of those 25 years, we golfed, camped, quadded and vacationed together.

Like they say, you only get to go around once, you may as well make the best of this one ride.

Fisherpeak
02-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Well said HunterDan, many women are homemakers and hold their own, not only do they hold their own, they hold everything together, they are the foundations of the family.

And if you are lucky,she`ll hold yours too.

ESOXangler
02-28-2011, 09:40 AM
My wife also runs her own business. And she didn't 'Get' me to go work everyday. It just works out that my job pays more than her company does, so far. I will be happy to stay home if/when it takes off.
People look at this the wrong way all the time. It shouldn't matter who is going to stay home to raise the kids. We are a team, I sure wouldn't want to raise my family without her. I definitely don't want some daycare raising my kids. And a homemaker has it just as hard or worse than I do at my job, her job isn't easy, she 'holds her own'

I think you should call yourself lucky that you have the ability to allow one of you to stay home. Most of us in the early 20's to early 30's have a huge mortgage to worry about plus other associated costs. I don't want a daycare raising my kids but how the hell else do you do it.

HunterDan
02-28-2011, 09:43 AM
You bust your butt through college and get a good paying job in an industry that should be fairly recession proof. And then bust your butt some more to get up the ranks and have job security.
And don't buy a house that stretches your dollar too far.

Okotokian
02-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Not that I'm against womens rights or anything, but the 1950's in my mind were the pinnacle of civilization. (and I wasn't there)

It did have some good things going for it, that's for sure. And if you were a white heterosexual Anglo-saxon male in Canada it must have been pretty much nirvana. If you were anything else... ehhh... probably not so much. ;)

Redfrog
02-28-2011, 09:50 AM
"Historicaly (perhaps half a century back and further) people were more willing to live in a poor marriage and deal with abuse and neglect rather then face the shame of leaving your spouse."

I think the stats on divorce are over 50% d rate. In the 'old days' there was some stigma attached to getting a divorce and I think it was more an idea that if you split your family up it showed you as not very responsible. Responsibility for your actions was more expected then IMHO>

I don't believe that abuse and neglect are main reasons for divorce today. It is more a case of one monkey, monkeying with another person's monkey.

I don't really have a big issue with people getting divorced if there are no kids.

People need to think and take actions for their commitments. Divorce and divided families are now accepted by society as the norm. No big deal. Problem is the kids do not agree and grow to continue the trend.

How many times do we hear on this board that a man's word is his bond. You make a deal, you stick to it. I guess commitment to raising kids isn't important enough to warrant the same integrity a person makes to buying a gas auger.:thinking-006:

I sure don't have the answers, and I doubt anything will change for the better. It's easy to say 'In the good old days" it wasn't perfect either. But you know what? Even when it was bad in the good old days, kids pretty much knew where their parents were. Today they are lucky if they know who their parents are.

Redfrog
02-28-2011, 09:52 AM
It did have some good things going for it, that's for sure. And if you were a white heterosexual Anglo-saxon male in Canada it must have been pretty much nirvana. If you were anything else... ehhh... probably not so much. ;)

What are you talking about Willis??

Sporty
02-28-2011, 09:55 AM
And if you are lucky,she`ll hold yours too.

Actually, I'm the "she" that holds my own, I hold my family together and I hold my hubby in the palm of my hands, in more ways than what you're thinking ;p

Redfrog
02-28-2011, 09:58 AM

X2

"I think you should call yourself lucky that you have the ability to allow one of you to stay home. Most of us in the early 20's to early 30's have a huge mortgage to worry about plus other associated costs. I don't want a daycare raising my kids but how the hell else do you do it."

I guess you have to decide what you need instead of what you want.

My wife stayed home and looked after the kids and home. I busted my hump in the rat race. We didn't have all the 'stuff' the neighbors had and we had things that they didn't.

Okotokian
02-28-2011, 10:04 AM
I think you should call yourself lucky that you have the ability to allow one of you to stay home. Most of us in the early 20's to early 30's have a huge mortgage to worry about plus other associated costs. I don't want a daycare raising my kids but how the hell else do you do it.

This is what gets me. I'm not speaking about you specifically because I don't know you or your situation. I do recall talking to a friend about his sending his kids to daycare. He said he HAD to. Yet he made more money than me, had a much larger house, nicer cars, better vacations. He just HAD to stick the kids in the kiddie warehouse.

When we got married and had kids we bought one of the cheaper houses around (but it was nice, not in a slum). Didn't buy a car that was brand new until probably our tenth anniversary. Agonized over $150 purchases. No RV's, quads, sleds. No vacations outside Alberta or BC, except for one obligatory trip to Disneyland. Managed to bite the bullet and bought a 20 year old tent trailer for holidays for about $1200. We skimped. And the kids had great childhoods, and learned their mother's values, not the daycare attendant's.

Now don't get me wrong. If you are a single parent, what else can you do but use a daycare? You have little choice. But for some that use the money argument, I think perhaps they should be honest and simply say they would rather have the $500,000 house and new cars.

huntinstuff
02-28-2011, 10:37 AM
So why didn't you say "Getting some male officer to stick it in you makes it better?...."

Ok, i will clarify this better.
In 100% of the affairs that i am talking about, the male officer has been banging a female officer who is not their wife.

So the male officer, who is married, decides to have an affair with a female officer. Some of these female officers are married to another cop. Some of the female cops are single gals. None of the male cops are single.

It works vice versa for sure.

One of the reasons i no longer attend police functions, like the family day stuff and the kids parties we have at our private recreation property. I got tired of seeing these guys pushing their kids on the swings, playing tag, and acting like "father of the year" while knowing they were actively having an affair. Seemed a bit hypocritical to me.

Then those same guys ask me "why arent you out playing with your kids"?
I tell them "i do that stuff the other 364 days of the year. I dont have to put on a show here"

Buckle
02-28-2011, 10:49 AM
I am a single Oil worker away from home, and never seems to turn out so my batchlor modle is, If it ******s floats or flys it's cheaper to rent it not buy it.

Tundra Monkey
02-28-2011, 10:54 AM

I got no problem with them in the police service.....I do however have issues with them in the military.....more specifically with combat roles. jmo

tm

Okotokian
02-28-2011, 10:55 AM
"Historicaly (perhaps half a century back and further) people were more willing to live in a poor marriage and deal with abuse and neglect rather then face the shame of leaving your spouse."

I think the stats on divorce are over 50% d rate. In the 'old days' there was some stigma attached to getting a divorce and I think it was more an idea that if you split your family up it showed you as not very responsible. Responsibility for your actions was more expected then IMHO>

I don't believe that abuse and neglect are main reasons for divorce today. It is more a case of one monkey, monkeying with another person's monkey.

I don't really have a big issue with people getting divorced if there are no kids.

People need to think and take actions for their commitments. Divorce and divided families are now accepted by society as the norm. No big deal. Problem is the kids do not agree and grow to continue the trend.

How many times do we hear on this board that a man's word is his bond. You make a deal, you stick to it. I guess commitment to raising kids isn't important enough to warrant the same integrity a person makes to buying a gas auger.:thinking-006:

I sure don't have the answers, and I doubt anything will change for the better. It's easy to say 'In the good old days" it wasn't perfect either. But you know what? Even when it was bad in the good old days, kids pretty much knew where their parents were. Today they are lucky if they know who their parents are.

Ya know Red, when you are sober I agree with a lot of what you say ;) LOL

Now of course there are some very valid reasons for divorce. Abuse is one. An addict who just won't quit and is damaging the family is another. But a lot throw in the towel way too easily. And it does have a bigger impact on kids than many like to admit. What do you put first? Your kids or your ....

chewydog
02-28-2011, 11:19 AM
I am a single Oil worker away from home, and never seems to turn out so my batchlor modle is, If it ******s floats or flys it's cheaper to rent it not buy it.

It takes 50 bucks and a few words in front of a JP to get married!!! But it takes several hundred grand and many years to get unmarried!
Might be better just to rent!!

moosehunter3-0
02-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Marriage is the number one cause of divorce.

Redfrog
02-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Ya know Red, when you are sober I agree with a lot of what you say ;) LOL

Now of course there are some very valid reasons for divorce. Abuse is one. An addict who just won't quit and is damaging the family is another. But a lot throw in the towel way too easily. And it does have a bigger impact on kids than many like to admit. What do you put first? Your kids or your ....

So what are you saying, the more I drink the more confused you become?:snapoutofit:

I guess I'm gonna have to ramp up if I'm drinking for two.:)

Mountain Guy
02-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Couples need to learn how to get along.
They just don't do enough things to help their marriages work.
One trick my wife and I have learned that helps is date nights.
We go out on dates every tuesday and thursday.............I go on tuesday and she go's on thursday....

ESOXangler
02-28-2011, 01:24 PM
You have a point Oko But don't be ignorant to the fact that lots of people have to. Sure there will always be the people that finance everything to the (.)(.)'s but even for the guy that doesn't behave that way it can be a challenge.
Even an entry level duplex in Edmonton runs a guy around 300gs. So with no equity and 5% down theres 1500 a month, not to mention property taxes, and bills. So we are looking at well over 2 grand just for a roof. Plus car insurance and the odd repair bill here and there. So lets say your a tradesmen making 33 an hour that works out to about 3600 a month after taxes. So now your left with about 1400 in your pocket. And you still need to feed your family, fuel your vehicle, rainy day fund, save for retirement, kids college fund, new snow shovel, new shoes, new clothes and other stuff. Of course its possible but i can see why people go other routes ie divorce, day care or working out of town.

fish_e_o
02-28-2011, 02:34 PM

Holy smokes!! Sounds like a very depressing work environment

not if you're single, if you were single it probably sounds great.

i always tried to pick up female eps officers back when i was young, single, and usually under the influence. i wonder why i never succeeded...

huntinstuff
02-28-2011, 02:46 PM
not if you're single, if you were single it probably sounds great.

i always tried to pick up female eps officers back when i was young, single, and usually under the influence. i wonder why i never succeeded...

Probably because you were single. Married guys and married women having affairs usually keep it secret. Having an affair with another married person is somehow "safer".

Funny how people have these affairs and rarely does the affair amount to any more than that. I guess its a good excuse to eventually get caught and have to face the demise of the marriage.

TheClash
02-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Probably because you were single. Married guys and married women having affairs usually keep it secret. Having an affair with another married person is somehow "safer".

Funny how people have these affairs and rarely does the affair amount to any more than that. I guess its a good excuse to eventually get caught and have to face the demise of the marriage.

Because it has nothing to do with love, or connecting with a person on any other level than a primal physical one. Affairs happen imho most of the time because we like to feel "wanted". The chase is exciting, the secret, the wondering, the infatuation...but after the deed is done it becomes mundane, old, tired and embarrassing and stressful...cracks form and things fall apart after that.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
02-28-2011, 04:55 PM
most couples spend all kinds of energy and money planning their weddings.
most don't put any effort into planing their marriage after the wedding,
its way to easy to cut and run when tuff and hard times come along, the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.
the GVMT and society don't acknowledge families any more and that's a sad sad thing