PDA

View Full Version : Lawn and garden tractors

dale7637
02-27-2011, 08:47 PM
I am in the market for a tractor come spring. I am looking for something to mow lawn and work gardens. I have been looking at the Kubota and Deere compact tractors, but they are a little out of my price range right now. Does anyone build a lawn style ride on mower with a roto tiller attachment? Any suggestions what to buy? I am looking at staying below ten grand.

wwbirds
02-27-2011, 09:17 PM
21 hp Tractor with 42 inch lawn mower deck ag and turf tires and roto tiller and hydralics was under $9000. It has been a good unit for 8 years now.

dale7637
02-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info. Do you know model number by any chance?

berjerkin
02-27-2011, 10:22 PM
massey fergusen
montana tractor company.

solocam3
02-28-2011, 12:11 AM
I have a 1986 John Deere 400 with a 60" deck and 48" tiller and about 800 hrs on the body. Replaced the motor about 4 years ago to the tune of $3800 and it was done by a backyarder so it was cheap. I cant imagine if I paid JD shop to do it. Replaced all the tines (32) on the tiller with jobber ones as JD wanted $18 apiece and the jobber was $9. (who knows how long they will last) But it digs good but that green paint is sure expensive. At the time I did the motor Simpson Sears had a 20 Horse tractor with a 50" deck for $1800. I am just saying.

silver
02-28-2011, 05:38 AM
I was in the market for a riding mower a few years ago and soon realized I was in over my head. I bought a copy of Consumer Report and it sure helped a lot. Good luck.

4thredneck
02-28-2011, 06:07 AM
Look for something used. John Deere is expensive but you get what you pay for. Maybe you can buy a tractor and mower now and add a rototiller later.

deanmc
02-28-2011, 06:33 AM
Look for something used. John Deere is expensive but you get what you pay for. Maybe you can buy a tractor and mower now and add a rototiller later.

Not always. Many of the cheaper models are just as junkie as the rest of them.

Iron Brew
02-28-2011, 06:38 AM
There is a bunch of decent compact diesels on the market. My neighbor runs tractors for his business, and he has recently been recommending the Montana's and he also mentioned the kioti tractors. I have NO experience with either brand as I run Kubota, which has been a very positive experience. My cousin and her husband bought a deere and have had repeat issues with the front mount snowblower (weak casting with no shear pin or clutch to protect it).

There are also the grey market Kubota's available.

BTW, I should also mention this was a conversation in passing. I wasn't looking for specific information when he mentioned these two brands...

wwbirds
02-28-2011, 09:14 AM
My model is the LS55 which ai understand is discontinued but I am not sure what it was replaced by. BTW before the Ford I tried to get by with a Sears lawn tractor and while the tractor itself was a good unit the accessories (where ever they are made) systmeatically shook themselves apart. In 2 years they replaced one snow blower and 3 rototillers (one of them only lasted 2 days). Think they are made for hobbiest so if you try to put them to work on a good sized garden and shelter belt they self destruct.

Rob

dale7637
02-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the info folks. I am going to keep looking aound and find something that will work.

4thredneck
02-28-2011, 01:41 PM
One thing you should make sure a acreage tractor has is some sort of cruise control if it is foot controled hydrostatic drive. I know people that say their leg get extremely sore from holding the pedal for long periods.

2fast4uRuss
02-28-2011, 02:52 PM
I used to sell Kioti they are a very good brand with a really good warranty. Bobcat tractors are actually rebranded and painted Kioti's.
I have heard very good things about Massey Ferguson as well most will outwork and outlift the deeres in the same catagory and for alot less $$$. I would recomend a hydrostatic tractor for what you are looking at as well running a mower, tiller,snowblower, blade anything they really shine especially because you are not kicking out your implement everytime you clutch.

If you are thinking of turning this into a business I would more push you towards a zero turn mower they are way faster and can go in spots a tractor and mower can not. My father has a Ford TC18 with a rear mount 60' farmking rear discharge finishing mower he bought a few years back about the same time I brought out a Exmark Lazer Z 60' with a 28hp Kohler for him to use. The zero turn runs circles around the tractor and mower in the yard to the point where dad hasn't used the mower on the tractor since.

Drewski Canuck
02-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Depending how small you are talking, a grey market Kabota under 21 HP diesel, will last your lifetime. I have an LT 2002, which is a grey market equivalent to the LT275 (20 Kilowatts = aprox 27.5 diesel HP). Great snow plower, great gravel spreader, etc. The grey market machines are usually pretty low hours when they come across and will last for years. Cheaper than the local new Kabotas by a long shot.

Drewski