PDA

View Full Version : resizing new brass

bwcweld
02-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Stupid question.....Do you need to resize new brass? I dont think you do but I had to ask.

deanmc
02-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Stupid question.....Do you need to resize new brass? I dont think you do but I had to ask.

the last batch of winchester 30-06 i got needed to be resized and trimmed as well.

bwcweld
02-27-2011, 09:00 PM
these are remington.....guesss i should check the case length too....lol...they fit in the gun nice though

rottie
02-27-2011, 09:02 PM
I always resize new brass to make sure the mouth is round,then like Dean I trim it to a uniform length. It seems to give a more even uniform neck tension on the bullet when its seated

HIBACKPACKER
02-27-2011, 09:03 PM
What I do is set all the new brass in loading blocks and have a look at them first. Lots of time the new brass comes out of round and will need to be passed through your die set. If they look to be in good shape they do not have to be passed through the die set. If you load your shells and then at some point, you take them a part for one reason or other. Then at that point they should be, after you dump the powder be run through the die set again other wise the bullet will not fit tight and could come apart. Hope that helps

bwcweld
02-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Ya I resize it anyways. Just checked the length on them and theyre all dead on.

222rem
02-27-2011, 10:47 PM
I prep all my cases .

303carbine
02-27-2011, 11:29 PM
I usually neck size all new brass to make sure the case mouth is round as brass can be damaged in transit.
I have never had to full length size new brass, but I do trim and chamfer after neck sizing.

Mike_W
02-28-2011, 03:32 AM
My brass new or old all goes through the same steps minus a tumble on the new stuff.
Resizing leaves all your brass in the same size and shape, ensures you neck tension is all equal and consistent.
Never even considered not doing it!

Mike

catnthehat
02-28-2011, 05:46 AM
With new brass I simply make sure it is within SAAMI specs, and run the necks through a sizing to make sure they are not crumpled.
Every now and then North American brass will have a messed up neck, so this makes it easier to seat a bullet.
I then fire form and go through the prep sequence of sorting , trimming, , etc.
In my hunting rifles with factory barrels.
if I can, I use Lapua brass.
This is the FINEST brass made.
I do not do anything to it , just stick a bullet on it a and fore form, then check the trim afterwards , I do not uniform primer pockets, or anything else, there is no need with lapua brass , it is that consistent.
Cat

ShawnM
02-28-2011, 07:21 AM
As I've just started reloading all my brass is brand new but when I inspected the cases I noticed many were out of round and needed to be sized. I also bought Remington brass and have found that none needed to be trimmed. Cat: Do you have to order your brass on the net or can you get it here in AB?

catnthehat
02-28-2011, 07:34 AM
As I've just started reloading all my brass is brand new but when I inspected the cases I noticed many were out of round and needed to be sized. I also bought Remington brass and have found that none needed to be trimmed. Cat: Do you have to order your brass on the net or can you get it here in AB?

Joe Ponto at RPS International in the city has it, as does Clay at Prophet River,but ordering online is easiest for most people.
These two are forum sponsors as well.

Hirsch Precision, Mystic Precision, Range Sports Unlimited, in fact pretty well all presicion dealers carry Lapua brass.
For the most part however, Remington or Winchester brass serves 95% of all
needs for most people, me included.
I like to use Lapua brass in my match rifles however, but will not freak out if I need to use the other stuff. :)
Cat

gitrdun
02-28-2011, 07:58 AM
After several inspections of brand new RP and Win brass, I decided that it was worthwhile resizing. Too many necks were dented in and out of round. Resizing a bag of 50 is a mere matter of minutes. I've seen but not used Lapua brass, and I must agree that it is so precise that in this case I wouldn't bother, but RP and Win are not made to the same quality control standards.

Dumbo_Dave
02-28-2011, 10:41 AM
I have had way too many problems with Winchester, Remington, Federal, Imperial Brass to not trim and outside neck turn every piece of brass I get once it is once fired in my rifle. I do dedicate particular brass to a particular rifle. I once had 4 different 270s and had to keep all brass seperate to ensure reliable functioning. Granted - I don't FL size brass that has been previously fired in it's rifle. I only FL Size for the first time firing in a particular rifle, then neck size after that. Don't care if it is New or used brass.

Never had any of that Lapua brass that everyone raves about. I have always used the brass that smells a little like used oats.