PDA

View Full Version : Who Uses Skype?

Albertadiver
02-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Well, bought myself a new laptop the other day after my old one finally bit the dust. Anyhoo, mine came with a camera and mic and skype loaded on it.

My wife uses skype to talk to family and such, but I've never really bothered with it till tonight.

I'm up in Lac La Biche for the night after driving up from calgary and used skype to call the wife and video chat for a bit. I must say the highlight for me is confusing the heck out of our dog, who isn't quite sure how I got into the computer screen.

thought it was pretty cool, so just wanted to know who uses skype and how often?

simmered
02-27-2011, 11:20 PM
My wife and I use it so the inlaws can see and talk to our twins. It actually works really well and it's interesting to see how even through a computer they recognize their grandma!

FishingMOM
02-27-2011, 11:25 PM
My son uses it to talk with his God mom.

I use it for my long distance calls to friends.
Using skype means very very very cheap bills considering I only paid 15.00 for 1 year of long distance.

Albertadiver
02-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Well, if anyone knows my name, they can search for me apparantley. Pretty cool. Been 'googling' folks I know to see if they have a skype profile.

chopperman
02-27-2011, 11:31 PM
I use it for business and personal. I really like using it with my wife and daughter when I'm away for work, my daughter who will be 5 soon likes to be able to see dad when we talk. And its free......

sheepguide
02-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Used skype for a little bit but switched back to MSN and it seemed to work better with our air cards.
SG

Elkaholic6
02-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Used it to call my auntie and uncle who live in India one time. Pretty neat.

HunterDave
02-28-2011, 12:19 AM
I know what it is but I never used it so I just voted "What the heck is Skype?" :)

Albertadiver
02-28-2011, 12:22 AM
I know what it is but I never used it so I just voted "What the heck is Skype?" :)

BBJ has webcam strip shows every 3hrs. Just google him. Then you'll see the advantages of skype.

HunterDave
02-28-2011, 12:32 AM
BBJ has webcam strip shows every 3hrs. Just google him. Then you'll see the advantages of skype.

I'm watching you right now!

HunterDan
02-28-2011, 06:55 AM
Used it the other day to talk to the in-laws in germany.
Pretty cool, way cheaper than a phone call, and they can actually see family they otherwise would not have.

Alberta Bigbore
02-28-2011, 07:24 AM
I know what it is, and dont use it. Used to use MSN messenger, dont use it now either. Got rid of Facebook over a year ago as well.

duffy4
02-28-2011, 08:38 AM
My son is in Switzerland and so when we were in Australia we used Skype to talk to him and to talk with a few family members in Canada. Now we talk to the son once in awhile.

So I use it somewhere in between "once or twice" and "all the time".

Donkey Oatey
02-28-2011, 08:39 AM
I used skype when they first came out and had their deal with free long distance anywhere in the world for the first year. Didn't like the quality of the connection. I strictly use Windows Live for all my chatting needs. My folks go south for 6wks and we use it so they can see the grand kids. Don't see any reason to use skype as an add on program when windows machines come with Windows Live already installed.

Photoplex
02-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Been using it for years - spent hundreds of dollars over the years on it.

Now have the Skype app on my iPhone, so I can make cheap international calls straight from my cell phone from anywhere.

dcutter
02-28-2011, 08:56 AM
I only use the free version for video calls to Onterrible, but it seems to work great for me.

Andrzej
02-28-2011, 09:38 AM
I am using Skype since it became available and it made overseas long distance inexpensive at 2.4 cents per min calling phone # and free to other Skype user on computer or smart-phone.
With relatives in Poland, Germany, USA, and friends all over the world it is money saver.
Mobile version on IPhone allows to use it if there is cell connection.

I think that thanks to Skype phone companies dropped they ridiculous long distance charges.

Andrew

honda450
02-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Talk to my relatives in the US all the time. Free. Its great. :sHa_shakeshout:

JB_AOL
02-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Only use it when my parents are in the states, and they want to see the grandkid.

Okotokian
02-28-2011, 11:00 AM
I've heard of it, but have no idea how it works or what it costs. Anyone willing to write a 1 minute tutorial here?

Photoplex
02-28-2011, 11:08 AM
I've heard of it, but have no idea how it works or what it costs. Anyone willing to write a 1 minute tutorial here?

Handy program you either install to your PC, or your iPhone.

Allows you to make voice/video calls to anyone else using the program for free (Skype-to-Skype).

Allows you to make calls to any phone in the world at a super low rate (2c/min for most of the world)

You can also have voicemail on it.

SkypeIn number (so people can dial a phone number from any phone, and be connected to your PC/Cell.). For example, I can get a UK SkypeIn number. People in the UK can dial a local UK number, and actually get directed to my cell in Canada etc. I pay the portion of the call from the UK to Canada.

oilngas
02-28-2011, 11:49 AM
we use it when we head south, we can see the grand kids etc.