PDA

View Full Version : Who Has bad neighbors or neighbor?

Hunt Camp
02-28-2011, 06:31 PM
About a month ago my neighbor approached me about my diesel truck running in the driveways in the morning, he said the fumes are going into there house when my truck is idoling in the cold winter mornings. I have been doing this for 2 years now and all of a sudden it is a problem. He asked me to move my truck to see if would help so I did. He also said he would change his thermostat to see if that would help. Today a receive a knock at my door from a bylaw officer, she stated my neighbor is complaining about the smell of my truck in the morning, she asked if i could move my truck i said "sure" but does gas not go to more than one area. the neighbor says it is going in to his cold air intake for his furnace, mine is on the same side as his i and i dont have a problem, but i will park out on the street, they never said where so i guess it will be in front of their house. so i went to the neigbors to ask if this was called for and they pretty well just shrugged it off, and said they are getting headaches when my truck starts, i said fair enough i will park some where else, then he proceeded to say he should get a programable thermostat maybe that would help.............. what you mean you dont have one like when you said you would change your setting earlier.

So hopefully i didnt ruin everybodies night if you read this, but what would you do? This is not he only time they have called the rcmp on people around the crescent, Sorr for this but i a a bit hot right now.

eastcoast
02-28-2011, 06:35 PM
About a month ago my neighbor approached me about my diesel truck running in the driveways in the morning, he said the fumes are going into there house when my truck is idoling in the cold winter mornings. I have been doing this for 2 years now and all of a sudden it is a problem. He asked me to move my truck to see if would help so I did. He also said he would change his thermostat to see if that would help. Today a receive a knock at my door from a bylaw officer, she stated my neighbor is complaining about the smell of my truck in the morning, she asked if i could move my truck i said "sure" but does gas not go to more than one area. the neighbor says it is going in to his cold air intake for his furnace, mine is on the same side as his i and i dont have a problem, but i will park out on the street, they never said where so i guess it will be in front of their house. so i went to the neigbors to ask if this was called for and they pretty well just shrugged it off, and said they are getting headaches when my truck starts, i said fair enough i will park some where else, then he proceeded to say he should get a programable thermostat maybe that would help.............. what you mean you dont have one like when you said you would change your setting earlier.

So hopefully i didnt ruin everybodies night if you read this, but what would you do? This is not he only time they have called the rcmp on people around the crescent, Sorr for this but i a a bit hot right now.

my neighbours are ok but if I were you I wouldn't move anything,you have no control over the wind direction and once they involved bylaw that would mean war for me:argue2:, maybe I am a little spiteful but I would idle it longer now if I were you.

pope
02-28-2011, 06:39 PM
My neighbor knows where I keep the keys to the bunkhouse containing the beer fridge. Caught him 3 times last summer stealing beers on a hot day! I think he took some chips too. Put em back Itchymoose!

hal53
02-28-2011, 06:55 PM

lot of problems all around with the Diesels...some motels make u park them quite aways away...personally don't find a problem usually...but there is always instances...

sheephunter
02-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Never had a complaint about my diesels over the years but now that I have a gas truck I sure get a lot of compliments. :) Guess I have good neighbours.

hal53
02-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Never had a complaint about my diesels over the years but now that I have a gas truck I sure get a lot of compliments. :) Guess I have good neighbours.
don't want to hijack...but do you prefer the gas over the diesel???

sheephunter
02-28-2011, 07:01 PM
don't want to hijack...but do you prefer the gas over the diesel???

For what I'm doing with the truck, absolutely. Never thought I'd hear myself say that after a couple decades of diesel trucks. I'd never go back unless I started doing some serious trailer pulling.

greylynx
02-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Are you at the point where you are just mad or at the point you want to get even?

greylynx
02-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Are you at the point where you are just mad or at the point you want to get even?

There are lots of fellows on this forum that have a higher education in the "art" of "getting even".:)

artie
02-28-2011, 07:17 PM
One of my pet peeves is when someone starts up their diesel at the parking lot of a ski hill and lets it idle away stinking out the area. If I could smell diesel fumes coming in my house I would sure be upset. But my case is different as I have spent most of my life in mechanics and had to get out of it as exhaust fumes give me a migraine headache. If you are a good neighbor as you say I would find some way of working it out so both of us would be satisfied. At least you talk to your neighbor so you should work it out.

Lefty-Canuck
02-28-2011, 07:18 PM
My Dad had a bad neighbour. Guy was always letting his fluffball dog crap in Dad's yard and he wouldn't clean up after it. After repeated requests to build fence, tie him up, etc. So one day dad had a deer hanging in the garage and left a healthy portion of neck steaks on the garage floor. Left the garage door open a crack small enough for fluffy to saunter in and neighbour couldn't fit to get him out. Fluffy cleaned up the treats, went home and crapped all over the place for 2 days. Was a win win, fluffy got fed Dad had a smile.

Neighbour came over and accused Dad of poisoning his dog, Dad told him he should tie him up and that he owed dad about 5lbs of neck steaks.....cause the dog was on HIS property and ate HIS food....that was that. They were renting and they moved out not long after....

Lefty

harrydude
02-28-2011, 07:22 PM

so if the guy had a problem with you ..... he first asked you to move..... then it still had an issue were you moved it.....thus calling by law.....there is anti idle by law in calgary....

but your neibour need to grow a pair..... but if you need to get even .... I would pop over and let my nosie truck idle.....tooo bad I sold my smokey 6.2

Ken07AOVette
02-28-2011, 07:23 PM
I have a neighbor that I got along with for years, then one day he snapped. He has tried to hit me with his payloader twice since, and for some strange reason I did not pull him out of it and feed him his false teeth.

This is a horribly abbreviated story.

There won't be a third time, the RCMP now have a written history on him.

bowhunter9841
02-28-2011, 07:24 PM
I have one neighbor that bugs me a bit! Mainly because he is too stupid to listen to our requests! Besides us, the only people on our block that park in front of their house on the street is him! We have asked him continually to tell his friends not to park in front of our house, and almost every Friday and Saturday I have to go over there and ask them to move their cars out of the front! There are 4 other houses that they can park in front of! But the dip****s keep parking in front of MY house! I think I'm gonna start parking in front of his house so he can get the point!

Batwoman
02-28-2011, 07:24 PM
I always have had good neighbors and still do BUT back in the States we lived in townhouses. My neighbor came downstairs one morning to leave for work, opened her wooden door to find the glass in her storm door broken and all over her porch. She cleaned it up and put it in a bag and trash. Called the Police when she got to work - they said they needed her to be home so she called when she got home. They looked at the hole in her wooden door and asked to see the broken glass. Going through that bag they found a (ok I know I am gonna use the wrong term so give me a break the term is not the crux of this story) bullet. The police informed her that the bullet had exited her house through the wooden door NOT entered it.

She was shocked - now they are looking at her with heads tilted. Trust me this woman could not nor would not ever shoot a gun/pistol or any firearm.

The police continued to look then asked her if a hole on the common wall between her and her neighbor (NOT ME) had always been there. NO WAY she is shocked to see the hole and you could see into the other person's house.

OH boy now they gotta wait for this lady to get home to make sure she did not meet up with foul play.

The neighbor comes home. The police speak with her.

Here is the story:

Her ex husband was fussing outside of her door the night before and pounding on her door too. She took her pistol with her down the stairs to make sure he left. As she was walking down the stairs the pistol went off and the shot went through the common wall into her neighbors house and exited through her wooden door and storm door glass.

My neighbor (door shot up lady) had heard some banging and fussing the night before but tried to shrug it off. Then she did go downstairs to look out but saw no one. We don't know if the banging and fussing was the pistol going off and through her house or not but man was she ever so thankful she did not go downstairs when she first heard voices. She would probably not be alive today.

If the neighbor with the pistol that discharged did not think enough to call her or knock on her door to let her know everything was ok trust me that woman would not have bothered to call anyone had she shot my former neighbor in Maryland.

And people were worried about me moving to Alberta.....

jungleboy
02-28-2011, 07:26 PM
not sure about calling the cops ..some people just seem to like doing that.But I do understand them complaining about the smell . I have a diesel truck and i have to watch where I park it ,because the smell comes in my own house and I don't like it either. Some people are more sensitive to diesel fumes than others.

geezer55
02-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Never had any trouble when I owned a diesel . . . the problem is, sometimes, my cold air intake draws in the neighbour wood smoke from 2 doors down. The first time it happened thought the house was on fire . . . now when it happens I go outside and smell the air and so far it has been the neighbours wood fire stove. Glad it doesn't happen too often.
Don't know what to do about the diesel exhaust but maybe having him extend his cold air intake around the corner of the house would solve the problem.

guywiththemule
02-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Love the smell and sound of diesels. Hate the sound and smell of neighbours. Love where I live!!

DarkAisling
02-28-2011, 07:52 PM
I've had bad neighbours, and I've been a bad neighbour. :evilgrin:

In all seriousness though, the fumes they allege are coming into their house could be a serious concern. I work in a high-rise in downtown Calgary that has had this exact issue in the past: it only has one fresh air intake and one truck left idling for an hour would seriously affect the air in the whole building and have people feeling sick. In this case I might be inclined to believe that they're not being jerks without at least an itty bitty reason.

Hunt Camp
02-28-2011, 08:00 PM
I am not leaving my truck run for hours it is between 15-20 min in the morning before i go to work, it usualy doesnt run but in -20 plus i like to let it warm up a bit

Ken07AOVette
02-28-2011, 08:06 PM
This reminds me of a popular thread about people idling diesel trucks in Lloydminster.....15 pages of "IT IS MY MONEY, MY TRUCK, MY DIESEL, IF PEOPLE WHINE I WILL START IT HALF AN HOUR EARLIER....'

lol

I don't think the guy with the problem should have to move his air intake, but I don't know the answer for sure either. Wabaso heater? Keep it in the garage and drive away without idling?

birchy
02-28-2011, 08:11 PM
I love the smell of diesel's..

Beerfish
02-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Wait now, the original poster is idling a diesel truck that is bothering the neighbours and every one and their dog is saying that the other person is a bad neighbour? The original poster did the right thing in trying to be accomodating in moving his truck so good on him but I would hardly call the other neighbour a bad neighbour for asking for a change. Sometimes people just don't realize that something they are used to doing is bothering another person. Every one is entitled to clean air in their home. At least the 2nd neighbour asked before they took action.

huntinstuff
02-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Ice cubes. 50% water 50% roundup.

gramps73
02-28-2011, 08:21 PM
I got one set but there thing is to block my drive way, I asked them if they wouldn't mind parking in the parking pad in the rear of there house.
Next day, knock at the door bylaw officer says we had a complaint you need to move your boat off my drive way...
day 2, car in front of driveway ticketed and towed..
maybe i'm the bad one...

Photoplex
02-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Wait now, the original poster is idling a diesel truck that is bothering the neighbours and every one and their dog is saying that the other person is a bad neighbour? The original poster did the right thing in trying to be accomodating in moving his truck so good on him but I would hardly call the other neighbour a bad neighbour for asking for a change. Sometimes people just don't realize that something they are used to doing is bothering another person. Every one is entitled to clean air in their home. At least the 2nd neighbour asked before they took action.

X2

Greenshed
02-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Dear Hunt Camp,

I have a neighbor that has a wood stove(2 actually) and have some experience of being on the receiving end via the cold air intake. Sometimes I actually don't mind the smell of wood smoke in my house. Sometimes like old Geezer 55, I wonder if my house is on fire. I've been here for a few years now and don't really care for it overall. You say you have been starting your truck for a couple of years and now all of a suddon it is a problem. Well your neighbour has obviously had to endure fumes in his house once in awhile for awhile and has reached his tolerance point. He has approached you at least once(which suggests to me he's not the typical call the cops and hide in an annonimity person). Did you actually attempt to make any effort to deal with the situation? If your neighbor has a programmable thermostat he should use it but you still have to make some effort. Personally I would lose it if I had my house reeking of deisel fumes after I had already spoken to my neighbor about it. Right now in my mind you are the bad neighbor. I don't know how long you have been where you are, but if you think you have a bad neighbor in that guy, I would say you could do alot worse. If you like your neighborhood then you should make some meaningful efforts to deal with the problem. If you do then your neighbor will well and truly appreciate it and will probably be one of the best you may have ever had.
Also to the few: It's alot easier to move a vehicle than an air intake.

Photoplex
02-28-2011, 08:54 PM
You say you have been starting your truck for a couple of years and now all of a suddon it is a problem. Well your neighbour has obviously had to endure fumes in his house once in awhile for awhile and has reached his tolerance point.

We used to have the same thing happen to us (gas, not diesel) and it was terrible. The guy used to warm his truck up really early (like, 4:30am) - whilst we were still asleep. We'd be sound asleep, whilst the fumes would fill our bedroom. We'd then wake up a while later with terrible headaches, nausea, stinging eyes, painful chest etc.

This went on for several months, then he moved house. Was so glad to see the back of him and his truck.

big-river
02-28-2011, 08:54 PM
the diesels do emit a foul smell, and just because a guy drives one, doesn't mean people should have diesel fumes coming in their houses. I work in the patch and I know about the smoke fumes coming into the motels. The considerate guys park aways off, the inconsiderates park outside your door and let em run.

What I am hearing on here, is revenge and re-revenge, things escalating, biggest a@@hole wins in the end? Someone has a legitimate complaint and the solution is to ramp up the revenge.

C'mon. Someone has a problem with fumes coming into his house he is in his rights to ask the truck to be parked aways off without worrying that someone feels the need to "get em back". What if he has an allergy, or a baby in the house, or an asthmatic?

It is reasonable to think the diesel fumes are getting into someones fresh air intake into their home, it is reasonable to ask for the offending truck and owner find a way to alleviate the problem.

I've had guys knock on my door with an issue I am causing, and I've knocked on doors. There was no need for "revenge".

Take the high road and move on.

hunter49
02-28-2011, 08:58 PM
straight pipe it, and longer idle sessions...problem solved.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

pikergolf
02-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Dear Hunt Camp,

I have a neighbor that has a wood stove(2 actually) and have some experience of being on the receiving end via the cold air intake. Sometimes I actually don't mind the smell of wood smoke in my house. Sometimes like old Geezer 55, I wonder if my house is on fire. I've been here for a few years now and don't really care for it overall. You say you have been starting your truck for a couple of years and now all of a suddon it is a problem. Well your neighbour has obviously had to endure fumes in his house once in awhile for awhile and has reached his tolerance point. He has approached you at least once(which suggests to me he's not the typical call the cops and hide in an annonimity person). Did you actually attempt to make any effort to deal with the situation? If your neighbor has a programmable thermostat he should use it but you still have to make some effort. Personally I would lose it if I had my house reeking of deisel fumes after I had already spoken to my neighbor about it. Right now in my mind you are the bad neighbor. I don't know how long you have been where you are, but if you think you have a bad neighbor in that guy, I would say you could do alot worse. If you like your neighborhood then you should make some meaningful efforts to deal with the problem. If you do then your neighbor will well and truly appreciate it and will probably be one of the best you may have ever had.

Well said.

Cattle Dog
02-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Agree with Greenshed.

Also know a mechanic that was forced to exit the business due to diesel fumes.

Glad i live in the country, because i sure wouldn't want to have to listen to people's diesels clattering away for over a quarter hour, nor smell the stink of other people's wood stoves or their diesels.

Build a garage: (my diesel truck and tractor are ready to go every morning without warming up)
(i keep the temperature between -8C and -1C; that way there are no puddles of melted ice on the floor, and there is less condensation in the gearboxes).

caver77
02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Dear Hunt Camp,

Well said, sounds like he has been a good neighbor and everybody had made and taken somewhat respectful requests and measures up to now. You'd have know a long time ago if he was a neighbor from the other place.Maybe the guy has some family tensions right now and the fumes are putting someone over the edge. Everything can get so tricky for unknown reasons. Long and short your exhaust fumes are making it into his house you gotta do something(it'd drive me crazy on both sides). Maybe time to upgrade to a clean burning 6.7 if it's gotta be diesel. I'd have a hard time parting with my 5.9 .Be the good guy!

Findal
02-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Imagine the shoe on the other foot...
Reasonable?
Pay it Forward.
:argue2:
or
:sLo_BigBearHug:

Cal
02-28-2011, 09:19 PM
My next door neighbor is an ignorant cuss. The first summer he moved in we had numerous showdowns about backyard parties going on untill 2 am about 3 times a week, often on week nights. This november he fired up his companie truck and I kid you not... I can count the number of times he has shut it off on one hand and still have some fingers left over. The truck idles all night every night, I've seen the thing run a whole weekend without turning a wheel. That truck has litteraly run all winter. I finaly decided that a guy shouldnt be allowed to be that ignorant and called his work and asked them if they were aware that their truck probably had probably had 1000 hours put on it in the last 3 1/2 months. The thing is turned off for the last few nights but I aint holding my breath.

Hunt Camp
02-28-2011, 09:23 PM
sorry forgot to mention, when my so called "good neighbor" asked me to move my truck I did, he did NOT approach me to say it was still bothering them again just decided to call bylaw. and this is not the first time he has called bylaw, on me yes but has called on 4-5 others in the neighborhood. this all started from when a former neighbor had to call child welfare on them for reasons that wont be mentioned. The way i see they got caught and now are looking for revenge on everybody else. If the fumes were still bothering you would you not ask your neighbor lets try something else this is not working?

caver77
02-28-2011, 09:40 PM
sorry forgot to mention, when my so called "good neighbor" asked me to move my truck I did, he did NOT approach me to say it was still bothering them again just decided to call bylaw. and this is not the first time he has called bylaw, on me yes but has called on 4-5 others in the neighborhood. this all started from when a former neighbor had to call child welfare on them for reasons that wont be mentioned. The way i see they got caught and now are looking for revenge on everybody else. If the fumes were still bothering you would you not ask your neighbor lets try something else this is not working?

Ya, but maybe his wife didn't even give him the chance, seems half the families these days aren't even on the same page for general coordination in dealing with things. Maybe he votes conservative and she votes ndp. I feel for ya. It can get worse. Wish the best for ya. Don't tell them you asked for opinions from this forum :) .
PS I've had neighbors complain to the police about being parked in front of someone elses house and had to move a vehicle(and had a complaint written up on me) from a place that I had permission to park because they(the actual owners) weren't home.

Steven Noel
02-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Returning with action will only give you years, possibly even a lifetime of poor relations with these neighbours. It might have been in bad taste for them to call but ultimately look at the result. Someone in a blue coat got called to tell you to park on the street. No big deal. Life goes on and so should you.

DarkAisling
02-28-2011, 09:42 PM
If the fumes were still bothering you would you not ask your neighbor lets try something else this is not working?

If the initial discussion was generally positive, I personally would be open to further discussion. However, if the initial discussion was in any way hostile, I wouldn't bother having the discussion again.

The Elkster
02-28-2011, 09:43 PM
If I had a legit problem I would approach someone maybe two times before calling bylaw. If I felt the person was an ignorant SOB capable of pulling a stupid revenge thing I'd call in bylaw right away simply to have things documented properly should the law ever be crossed. Don't get me wrong I have never called anyone in and hope I never have to. But if its clearly a case of the other person causing the problem I am only going to spend so much time and effort before calling them in.

IMO its up to the the problem person to find the solution and make sure others are okay with it. I'm not talking silly petty stuff but a clearly noisy stinky truck with possible health implications...yeah I'd be peeved and expect the problem person to do the most work finding a solution and making sure its okay for all affected. Why didn't you go over and ask if it was now okay with him?

I was up in Rocky and had a couple SOB's fire their diesel trucks up for about 20-30 minutes right next to the building with headlights flashing into the room and all whilst they went and had breaky. They darn well know how loud those things are...use some common sense and park at the other end of the frick'in parking lot and walk the extra couple hundred yards. People that ignorant don't deserve second chances. By the end of it I was about ready to ruin their day with 4 flats. Good thing I have more respect than that.

AxeMan
02-28-2011, 09:51 PM
I have a new neighbor that deals drugs. It is quite obvious that he is a higher level dealer. The police know about it but won't act (at least not yet). Other than that he is a good neighbor. He does not want to draw any other unwanted attention to himself. Lots of money, clean, wife and kid. I think that he thinks that he is undetectable and his neighbors don't know what he does. I can assure you that the other neighbors including a cop know and have seen the transactions and this guys high life will soon be coming to an end.

Am I scared he will see this post. Nope.

Duramaximos
02-28-2011, 10:07 PM
This is all part of the cost of ownership, imo. Most people simply hate Deisel trucks. Too loud, too big, too smelly, etc. I own a deisel and there's just no getting around this from time to time. I suggest you pick your battles wisely, and let this one slide.

Good luck.

prospector
02-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Dear Hunt Camp,

I agree with Greenshed.
We have a new neighbor with an older Dodge Cummins... it definitely affects the air quality and I'm a couple houses away. The heavy exhaust seems to swirl around our front door and comes in when we open it... I'm a fairly tolerant person in general but find this unhealthy and annoying. I'm waiting patiently for summer. I used to have a diesel and I'm sure it wasn't always appreciated when idling. Unfortunately an Espar or similar is expensive but a much better way to go, and I would have gone that way if it was a problem for the neighbors - it's just the cost of being considerate.
I say keep your cool and try to work something out.

caver77
02-28-2011, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=AxeMan;850559]I have a new neighbor that deals drugs. It is quite obvious that he is a higher level dealer. The police know about it but won't act (at least not yet). Other than that he is a good neighbor. He does not want to draw any other unwanted attention to himself. Lots of money, clean, wife and kid. I think that he thinks that he is undetectable and his neighbors don't know what he does. I can assure you that the other neighbors including a cop know and have seen the transactions and this guys high life will soon be coming to an end.

I wouldn't bet on it, I've seen that sort of thing go on for literaly years, and years. Narc division plays by their own set of rules. You or him will just move away eventually.

Kanonfodder
02-28-2011, 10:41 PM
I have one neighbor that bugs me a bit! Mainly because he is too stupid to listen to our requests! Besides us, the only people on our block that park in front of their house on the street is him! We have asked him continually to tell his friends not to park in front of our house, and almost every Friday and Saturday I have to go over there and ask them to move their cars out of the front! There are 4 other houses that they can park in front of! But the dip****s keep parking in front of MY house! I think I'm gonna start parking in front of his house so he can get the point!

Common misconception..you do not own the street in front of your house..anyone can park there unless its posted. There is zero you can do about it in a legal sense...as long as they don't block your drive I don't see what you can do

eastcoast
02-28-2011, 11:38 PM

I got that from your post not sure about everybody else,if he talked to you and then you obliged him and without talking to you again he called bylaw that's wrong on his part,he is hiding behind the cops for a civil matter that shouldn't involve them,seems like a bit of a civil war going on here aswell,I guess he thinks calling bylaw gets you back but I would make it clear to him that because you hid behind bylaw without talking to me again I will go back to where I was parked before and idle it 5 minutes longer than I normally would,and if it inconveniences him so much he should change something.

eastcoast
02-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Common misconception..you do not own the street in front of your house..anyone can park there unless its posted. There is zero you can do about it in a legal sense...as long as they don't block your drive I don't see what you can do

exactly, I have a driveway and a 2 car garage and only 1 vehicle so parking space for me is fine,the neighbour across the street has 3 cars and a couple kids than come over so he goes crazy and chases people who park in front of his house, I see it all the time he is an older gentelmen and I have seen him come out yelling and screaming and chasing people who park in front of his house.

you are absolutely right the home owner does not own the road in front of their house and have no say or control over who wants to park there.I do because I live on a corner and there is no parking in front of my house:thinking-006:

icefisher11
03-01-2011, 12:55 AM

Do you have a drive way? do you need the parking space in front of your house for your vehicles?

deanmc
03-01-2011, 05:20 AM

He made you aware of the problem and likely assumed that you are able to see the direction your exhaust is drifting. I see no need to beg you to do something different.
If I mentioned this to my neighbor and he continued to park where the exhaust would drift to my cold air intake (exhaust is easy to see on a cold vehicle) I would not ask repeatedly.I am sure you dont park so diesel exhaust drifts into your home.
You know if your exhaust is drifting towards his house. If its not They are the bad neighbors if it is then you are. Simple

Jimboy
03-01-2011, 05:41 AM
I love the smell of diesel's..

and l bet you hate cigarette smoke , nothing worse than a bludy diesel , headache comes with it.

Bushmaster
03-01-2011, 07:19 AM
My nearest neighbor is over a mile away.....and sometimes I can hear his cattle lowing far off in the distance !! Very annoying!! :bad_boys_20:

But I can sympathize with people sucking in unwanted diesel fumes...and I drive a diesel. :scared0018:

sirmike68
03-01-2011, 09:12 AM
My neighnour was snowblowing at 05:30 and thought nothing of it. Inconsideratre moron, "It's only for 10 minutes and its not that loud". Yelled at him to stop and he actually tried to justify his actions and say I'm the A-hole. WOW some people.

Ken07AOVette
03-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Hate to say it, but bylaw or RCMP would handle that, most places have a 11 pm -7 am quiet time

artie
03-01-2011, 09:23 AM
My neighnour was snowblowing at 05:30 and thought nothing of it. Inconsideratre moron, "It's only for 10 minutes and its not that loud". Yelled at him to stop and he actually tried to justify his actions and say I'm the A-hole. WOW some people.

Tell him its O.K as long as he plows all of your yard and the other neighbors as well.

Photoplex
03-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Hate to say it, but bylaw or RCMP would handle that, most places have a 11 pm -7 am quiet time

Not in Calgary. We have a business next door to our condo building (a lawyers office) and they have a company come in to clear their snow. We've had the jerks out there at 3am, 4am, and 5 am this winter with their snow blowers. When I've called 311, they've told me they are legally require to clear the snow within 24 hours or something, and that could mean at any time of the day.

We've taken to hiding on our balcony and throwing eggs at them/their truck.

In fact, here's the noise bylaw regulations for Calgary (http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Animal+and+Bylaw+Services/Bylaw+services/Bylaws+of+interest/Noise.htm), and an excerpt:

Between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. Monday to Saturday and 10pm to 9am on Sunday and holidays, you may not operate:

A snow clearing device powered by an engine of any kind (snow clearing devices are exempt during the 48 hour period following a snowfall)

Okotokian
03-01-2011, 09:37 AM
My neighbours are quiet, not bothersome. It's the condition three of them keep their homes in that has me thinking about moving. I love my area and hate that three morons have lowered the property values and have me thinking about running away.

Two of them (single guys) simply believe that cutting your lawn a couple times a year is sufficient. Trimming bushes and trees overgrown with 3 foot high weeds? Why?

The third guy, a few doors down is a real character. He and his wife run a blind and drapery company, yet his own place is garbage. He actually has scaffolding erected outside his front door to hold his stock in boxes. Also plywood and various odds and ends leaning up against the front of the house. It's been that was since he moved in 5 or 6 years ago. Bylaw enfocement seems incapable of doing anything about him.

Other than that, the rest of the neighbours are fine.

Fisherpeak
03-01-2011, 09:51 AM

My friggen neighbour plows driveways at 3.30 A.M with a Case Backhoe.Fires it up at 3 and lets it run half an hour and then gets to work on my block.

Cowtown guy
03-01-2011, 09:59 AM
I got that from your post not sure about everybody else,if he talked to you and then you obliged him and without talking to you again he called bylaw that's wrong on his part,he is hiding behind the cops for a civil matter that shouldn't involve them,seems like a bit of a civil war going on here aswell,I guess he thinks calling bylaw gets you back but I would make it clear to him that because you hid behind bylaw without talking to me again I will go back to where I was parked before and idle it 5 minutes longer than I normally would,and if it inconveniences him so much he should change something.

This is one of the most ridiculous posts so far this year. Let's hope you're not serious.

The fact of the matter is, that is what by-law is for. Dealing with problems. Maybe the guy feels threatened. Maybe he feels that there was some communication but since nothing has changed and that since the OP didn't bother to come back and ensure that HIS VEHICLE WASN"T FILLING THE HOUSE WITH FUMES ANYMORE he has no other options.

Let's face the facts. The OP's truck is causing the problem. Why should the "bad neighbor" have to do anything to make this right. It's on the OP. Kudos to him by the way for manning up and realizing that his truck was causing an issue.

As for the "bad neighbour" having to go and buy a programmable stat? Seriously??? Maybe the OP should buy the stat and tell the neighbour what times he usually runs his vehicle so that the stat can be set accordingly. That would be showing that you cared about the quality of life of your neighbor and likely there would never be an issue again.

whitetailhntr
03-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Not in Calgary. We have a business next door to our condo building (a lawyers office) and they have a company come in to clear their snow. We've had the jerks out there at 3am, 4am, and 5 am this winter with their snow blowers. When I've called 311, they've told me they are legally require to clear the snow within 24 hours or something, and that could mean at any time of the day.

In fact, here's the noise bylaw regulations for Calgary (http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Animal+and+Bylaw+Services/Bylaw+services/Bylaws+of+interest/Noise.htm), and an excerpt:

Between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. Monday to Saturday and 10pm to 9am on Sunday and holidays, you may not operate:

A snow clearing device powered by an engine of any kind (snow clearing devices are exempt during the 48 hour period following a snowfall)

Throwing eggs at People out doing their job legally.... Class act your are. I do comercial snow removal and if I ever saw anyone harrassing me or my guys it would be dealt with in a hurry.

Photoplex
03-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Throwing eggs at People out doing their job legally.... Class act your are. I do comercial snow removal and if I ever saw anyone harrassing me or my guys it would be dealt with in a hurry.

It's really sweet that they have 2 jobs, and that they won't come out and clear it during respectable hours because they're doing their other job... but when it impacts on me and my families lives (and the other 30 families living in my condo building), they can, quite frankly, get stuffed.

Their making a quick buck on the side does not take precedence over other peoples quality of life. In fact, the Lawyers firm has received so many complaints that they are terminating their contract after this winter.

Skybuster
03-01-2011, 10:32 AM
I had a neighbor that was agitated over a second neighbor who had a diesel truck. The diesel had a programmable setting in it that would fire it up if the temperature reached a specific point, ie -25. The first neigbor put up with this for a bit but finally marched over and demanded the guy move his truck. The guy with the diesel was confused because his truck was parked 50 yards from the guys house. The complainant said yeah, but your frikkin headlights are pointed at my bedroom. (he didn't say "frikken").

We all laughed at that one over a beer in the diesel guys garage.

Redfrog
03-01-2011, 10:37 AM
my neighbours are ok but if I were you I wouldn't move anything,you have no control over the wind direction and once they involved bylaw that would mean war for me, maybe I am a little spiteful but I would idle it longer now if I were you.

Classy. I'll bet you'd move your truck if the fumes were coming into your house.:thinking-006:

I don't have a lot of neighbors, but the ones I have are real stubborn. They move snow or bales or help me with my horses and flat out refuse to take any money for it. Their bloody kids are the same way. They come down the hill and help us with bales or cleaning sheds and won't take a dime.

I have to sneak up to their house when they aren't home and leave a little care package from time to time.:) A real nuisance.

fish_e_o
03-01-2011, 10:46 AM
i had a neighbour threaten legal action because when i built my house i ruined his view. every time i do something like build a trout pond he comes over tells the construction people to stop working and threatens to sue.

and i have never once spoken to him directly...:angry3:

chubbdarter
03-01-2011, 10:48 AM
i cant hear my cummins running from inside my house....never had anyone complain....2 doors down is a paramedic who fires up diesel ford i think its a expedition( the big ford suv) its sounds like a combat zone..lol......his wife is a er nurse. I'd never complain they need to get to work.
I think snow removal guys should also be cut some slack.
They need to start early i doubt thats their only job and its a safety issue. I cant see them being able to do the same job after the sidewalk is full of people. Its funny to see the city do it during the day downtown....once saw a guy blow a snow storm up a ladies skirt

Redfrog
03-01-2011, 10:55 AM
"once saw a guy blow a snow storm up a ladies skirt"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/pics_thread.gif

Photoplex
03-01-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't have a lot of neighbors, but the ones I have are real stubborn. They move snow or bales or help me with my horses and flat out refuse to take any money for it. Their bloody kids are the same way. They come down the hill and help us with bales or cleaning sheds and won't take a dime.

I have to sneak up to their house when they aren't home and leave a little care package from time to time.:) A real nuisance.

Now that's what being neighbourly is all about! :47b20s0:

TheClash
03-01-2011, 11:50 AM
I have great neighbors..they have triplet girls, we have twin boys...must be something in the water on our street lol.

In the last huge windstorm we hd down here their trampoline took flight and smashed into and then rolled over our house. They have been nothing but apologetic and are taking care of all the damages etc. Great family.

I may be a bit naive or get flamed here etc....and I am not saying I agree with this, but just a question.

Doesn't the Op have every right to start and warm up his truck (assuming it isn't to excess). It is unfortunate that the dynamics of their block, wind directions etc may cause some fumes to blow into the neighbors house...but isn't that just part of having neighbors? again, as long as it is withing common sense boundaries?

again, not sure if I agree with that or not, just posing the question. How far can we or do we let other dictate what we can and cannot do?

Redfrog
03-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Clash, if you idle your truck and the fumes go into your house , would you move it? this doesn't seem like a big problem to me.

How about second hand smoke. Does that bother anyone? Would you smoke somewhere else? If it was bothering your family would you smoke somewhere else?

I don't know if you smoke or not, just saying.

Jwood 456
03-01-2011, 12:11 PM
I have had some terrible neighbours. I remember my parents would tell me storys of this pig who lived next door when I was little. They said he would knowingly run his sewage water across our lawn instead of getting a septic system installed like required by law. My parents tried to politely convince him to get a septic system installed and said they would call the county on him if he refused to. So anyways, they called the county on him after he refused. Finally, he was forced to get a septic system. After this happened, my paretns would tell me that this low life scum would actually steer his van towards my siblings and I just to "show" my parents. There were also too many other instances where he was "showing us" to keep count of.

The neighbours on the other side of us were also b@st@rd$. I remember we would help stray cats around the subdivision out and evetually get attached to them. These sick neighbours would then capture some of our cats and cigarete burn their chins and soak them in paint and turpentine just to "entertain" themselves. There were also instances where they would badly beat their legs to the point that the cats needed pins in their legs.

Ken07AOVette
03-01-2011, 12:22 PM
I have had some terrible neighbours. I remember my parents would tell me storys of this pig who lived next door when I was little. They said he would knowingly run his sewage water across our lawn instead of getting a septic system installed like required by law. My parents tried to politely convince him to get a septic system installed and said they would call the county on him if he refused to. So anyways, they called the county on him after he refused. Finally, he was forced to get a septic system. After this happened, my paretns would tell me that this low life scum would actually steer his van towards my siblings and I just to "show" my parents. There were also too many other instances where he was "showing us" to keep count of.

The neighbours on the other side of us were also b@st@rd$. I remember we would help stray cats around the subdivision out and evetually get attached to them. These sick neighbours would then capture some of our cats and cigarete burn their chins and soak them in paint and turpentine just to "entertain" themselves. There were also instances where they would badly beat their legs to the point that the cats needed pins in their legs.

Sounds just like my next door bastard, he shot another neighbors dog with his .270 IN TOWN!

One day, open season, that's all we need

Photoplex
03-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Two sets of absolute trash. In today's world, a few concealed "spy cams" hidden around the property would have ensured either set of wankers would be sent away for a spell. Shame back then there wasn't much your folks could do.

Incidentally, (as I put on my flame-proof suit)... if you were a betting man... which way do you think either of these neighbours-from-hell voted?

Ray
03-01-2011, 12:34 PM
[/list]
Wrong way to handle it. What are you, seven years old? You're just adding to the idiot factor and looking for an assault/vandalism charge.

In fact, the Lawyers firm has received so many complaints that they are terminating their contract after this winter.
Correct (adult) way to handle it.

Mountain Guy
03-01-2011, 12:35 PM

How long are you idling your truck?
I've experienced the same thing when my neighbor had his diesel running for an extended period. It bothered me as well...and I own a diesel. It only happened once so no big deal.
From that,I think it takes awhile for the fumes to get to the point where you smell them in the house.
Maybe cut down on the idle time to the minimum to warm it up and the problem would subside.

Photoplex
03-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Wrong way to handle it. What are you, seven years old? You're just adding to the idiot factor and looking for an assault/vandalism charge.

Correct (adult) way to handle it.

:budo:

I know, I know, you're right.

Sometimes though it's hard controlling the temper. Especially when you've been woken up at 3/4/5 am every night for a week, knowing you're going to be useless at work later that day because you're so exhausted - fielding questions from my gf like "why won't they stop?" and "but I can't sleep :cry:". We'd even been down and politely asked them if there was any other time they could make all that noise - to which I was promptly told to f*** off, and that they can legally make as much noise as they liked, followed by loud taunting laughs.

Anyway, it was cathartic the one time we egg'd them, and it made everyone feel better. :47b20s0: :zzz:

ditchpickle
03-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Your a real *******. I also do commercial snow removal. It is my only job. I run snowblowers all through the night every time it snows. If you threw eggs at me while I was legally doing my job, I would ensure you were arrested and charged.

You must feel like a real big man, hiding on your balcony, throwing eggs at a bunch of guys trying to earn a living.

Photoplex
03-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Your a real *******. I also do commercial snow removal. It is my only job. I run snowblowers all through the night every time it snows. If you threw eggs at me while I was legally doing my job, I would ensure you were arrested and charged.

Here, I called the this just for you.

http://reecehome.homeip.net/gallery/var/albums/funny/wahmbulance.jpg?m=1272644538

Okotokian
03-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I also do commercial snow removal. It is my only job. .

Nice! And you can live OK off 4 or 5 month's work? I gotta look into that!

jk You can now tell us what you do in the summer. ;)

ditchpickle
03-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Nice! And you can live OK off 4 or 5 month's work? I gotta look into that!

jk You can now tell us what you do in the summer. ;)

Tree work, and lawn care. Thats what most snow removal guys do in summer.

Lone_Wolf
03-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Thankfully, we get along with all of the neighbors except one. This one neighbor, my uncle and his "wife" (won't call her my aunt, usually call her the old sow) have fought with every neighbor and seem to go out of their way to cause trouble like tearing down some of your fence so the cows get out, or not pulling over on the backroads with their big truck or tractor so you have to pull over for them or get run over. The list goes on.

TheClash
03-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Clash, if you idle your truck and the fumes go into your house , would you move it? this doesn't seem like a big problem to me.

How about second hand smoke. Does that bother anyone? Would you smoke somewhere else? If it was bothering your family would you smoke somewhere else?

I don't know if you smoke or not, just saying.

I may I may not..again just playing devils advocate here. If he is parked in HIS drive way does he not have the right to warm his truck up? again where do we draw the line. I don't smoke, but if my neighbor was on his porch (which used to happen in my old house) and chose to have a smoke and some of that smoke happens to be blown into my house....I am not too sure how much ground I have to stand on to tell him to knock it off. I can mention to him that it does blow into y house, but what concern is that of his? he is on his property having a smoke....I just don't know how far we can go with what we expect others to do to make our lives more comfortable.

If the color brown causes me to have headaches should I expect my neighbor to change the siding on his house to suit me?

just to be clear...I am not saying this is how I feel, just find it an interesting topic

Okotokian
03-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Tree work, and lawn care. Thats what most snow removal guys do in summer.

I can see why professional snow removal might cross the "consideration" line. The law states you need to get it done fast, commercially speaking stores need to have cleared parking lots for customers, and no one is going to buy snow removal that occurs three days after the storm.

But the retired guy behind me COULD wait until a little later on the weekend when I finally get to sleep in past 5 a.m. He uses his leaf blower everytime a half inch falls (driveway, sidewalk, and deck). I finally went round and saw him at about 7:15 a.m. on a Saturday in December and asked him if he could start a little later. He seemed perplexed as to why I would want him to start after 8:00, but said OK.

HunterDave
03-01-2011, 01:18 PM
I get along great with all of my neighbours all the way down both ends of the street. I only had one neighbour that I wasn't too fond of and that was the fella behind me. We shared the back fence and it was in pretty bad repair so I offered to put in a new one if he went half on the cost, only about $250. He wouldn't have any part of it and actually tried to trick me into thinking that he'd pay for half so he could stick me with the bill.

Anyway, I basically ignored him after that and told my wife and daughter to steer clear of him. Two years ago he stabbed a gal from Cardiff to death and then himself. After finding out about that I was kinda glad that I didn't let things escalate between us. On the other hand, maybe that gal would have been alive now if they had.

just_dave
03-01-2011, 01:20 PM
I have a neighbour that came over pounding on my door and yelling to complain about my fence that was being built (to code) by a contractor. He said his grass was going to die. Because of a 2 1/2' tall fence?

But he seems fine with it now, as he has his trees chained to the fence and his garden hose spool screwed to the fence and his x-mas lights he hangs on the fence until March and some bird house thing he has hanging on the fence... and I lost track of whatelse. He pretends its his fence now.

whitetalehunter12
03-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Iv got this really annoying woman that lives 5 houses away from mine in are subdivision. she hates me and my brother driving are quads to get the mail or me using my quad to get to the bush or driving them just for fun! She says there a real racket and very annoying. She complains to all the other people in the subdivision with quads or motorbikes and just makes a real stink about it. FOR HEAVENS SAKES ITS THE COUNTRY!! COME ON!!!

Okotokian
03-01-2011, 01:32 PM
FOR HEAVENS SAKES ITS THE COUNTRY!! COME ON!!!

No it's not. It's a subdivision. You said so yourself. ;) LOL :scared0018:

coorslight
03-01-2011, 01:39 PM
ya my neighbour lives across from a quarter of land where our good freind owns and we used to ride our dirt bikes there and he flip chased us in the feild gave us crap even when we had pernmissin

whitetalehunter12
03-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Yeah its a subdivision but theres only around 10 houses in it. Sure they may be some laws regarding riding motorized vehicles in subdivisions but everyone except that woman just thinks its ridiculous and rides there ski-doos, quads, dirtbikes anyways.

eastcoast
03-01-2011, 01:53 PM
my neighbours are ok but if I were you I wouldn't move anything,you have no control over the wind direction and once they involved bylaw that would mean war for me, maybe I am a little spiteful but I would idle it longer now if I were you.

Classy. I'll bet you'd move your truck if the fumes were coming into your house.:thinking-006:

in case you weren't reading the thread he said he did move his truck,and then without further consultation from the neighbour they called bylaw on him,I guess maybe you can't read?what if the guy has a baby do you want him to put his baby into a freezing cold truck so it won't inconvenience you for 5-10 minutes depending on the wind,far as I can tell he tried to accomidate the guy and the guy thought it would be a good idea to call bylaw on him anyways,what would you do in his shoes?

BlackHeart
03-01-2011, 01:53 PM
:budo:

I know, I know, you're right.

Sometimes though it's hard controlling the temper. Especially when you've been woken up at 3/4/5 am every night for a week, knowing you're going to be useless at work later that day because you're so exhausted - fielding questions from my gf like "why won't they stop?" and "but I can't sleep :cry:".

Just how much snow does your condo/apt area get????

Or were they uses those colorful little shovels that come with a sand pail and beach ball??????

big zeke
03-01-2011, 02:17 PM
There is one housefrau on our block that has too much time on her hands and loves being a hag to her neighbors. One neighbor runs a reno outfit and has had bylaw at his place countless times when his trailer is in front of his house and not hooked up to his truck (not every job requires him to haul a 20' tandem trailer). She has had bylaw out for one neighbors lovely dog every time it barks at a bird (the dog is better behaved than Mrs Busybodys grandkids BTW). She had bylaw visit me when my holiday trailer was in front of my house for 2 days (I was doing some repairs and it took one day to get the parts, I live across the street and down 2 houses BTW). Pretty much every neighbor hates her; as proof, when it snows whoever does their walks first does everybodys (a total of 6 houses, takes about 30 mins), Mrs Busybody lives smack dab in the middle of us and every one of us skips her place every time.

One day she was babysitting her 1 yr old granddaughter and ran out of diapers; sheepishly she comes to my place asking if we could spare some (my son was about the same age and she des not drive). In order to make peace in the place I dug up several newborn size (about 3 sizes too small) and offered them to her as this was all I had. I suspect one good crap and it would be oozing everywhere. I was never my intention to punish the kid, she didn't pick her granny.

Seriously, bylaw is a last resort; a lasting friendship is forged when both sides are considerate and can compromise. We intend to throw a going away party for Mrs Busybody the day after she moves out.

Zeke

HunterDave
03-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I figure that it's all about give and take. Learn to put up with the minor inconveniences and try to limit them for others. If people can't reach a happy medium then they just have to get used to being miserable or move somewhere secluded.

eastcoast
03-01-2011, 02:33 PM
There is one housefrau on our block that has too much time on her hands and loves being a hag to her neighbors. One neighbor runs a reno outfit and has had bylaw at his place countless times when his trailer is in front of his house and not hooked up to his truck (not every job requires him to haul a 20' tandem trailer). She has had bylaw out for one neighbors lovely dog every time it barks at a bird (the dog is better behaved than Mrs Busybodys grandkids BTW). She had bylaw visit me when my holiday trailer was in front of my house for 2 days (I was doing some repairs and it took one day to get the parts, I live across the street and down 2 houses BTW). Pretty much every neighbor hates her; as proof, when it snows whoever does their walks first does everybodys (a total of 6 houses, takes about 30 mins), Mrs Busybody lives smack dab in the middle of us and every one of us skips her place every time.

One day she was babysitting her 1 yr old granddaughter and ran out of diapers; sheepishly she comes to my place asking if we could spare some (my son was about the same age and she des not drive). In order to make peace in the place I dug up several newborn size (about 3 sizes too small) and offered them to her as this was all I had. I suspect one good crap and it would be oozing everywhere. I was never my intention to punish the kid, she didn't pick her granny.

Seriously, bylaw is a last resort; a lasting friendship is forged when both sides are considerate and can compromise. We intend to throw a going away party for Mrs Busybody the day after she moves out.

Zeke

my uncle had a nextdoor neighbour like that for years,we lived a few houses away but had to put up with this guy aswell,if your grass was too high he would complain,if your driveway wasn't cleared fast enough he complained,he called the cops on several people on the road for stupid little things,my uncle always seems to get him back,when the neighbour would mow the lawn my uncle would mow his the next day and the neighbour would mow his again,when the neighbour was out filling in potholes my uncle would go out just as he finished to see if he needed help,he ended up planting 20 or so huge trees along the property line and building a garage so the neighbour wouldn't watch him anymore,this went on for about 29 years til my uncle sold the house lol.

Greenshed
03-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Re your response to redfrog.
in case you weren't reading the thread he said he did move his truck,and then without further consultation from the neighbour they called bylaw on him,I guess maybe you can't read?what if the guy has a baby do you want him to put his baby into a freezing cold truck so it won't inconvenience you for 5-10 minutes depending on the wind,far as I can tell he tried to accomidate the guy and the guy thought it would be a good idea to call bylaw on him anyways,what would you do in his shoes?

I can read. The original post says that he would park on the street/only after bylaw showed up. If he moved his truck the time the neighbor complained where would he have moved it--from one side of the driveway to the other? If they guy made meaningful efforts the first time then bylaw would not have been called. Also, I just love the excuse/logic given to bylaw "but does gas not go to more than one area?":thinking-006:

harrydude
03-01-2011, 04:00 PM
great read

but make peace with yer neibours since you all have to live there

Redfrog
03-01-2011, 04:14 PM

Typical liberal reply. Blah! blah! blah!. Ignore the point and spout off a bunch of stuff I never said.

The only thing that I posted to you was>

"Classy. I'll bet you'd move your truck if the fumes were coming into your house"

I have no issue with the OP. He did make an effort to fix the problem.

You on the other hand would let yours run longer "to be spiteful" Classy.

So if the fumes from your truck were going into your house would you deal with it the same way?

eastcoast
03-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Typical liberal reply. Blah! blah! blah!. Ignore the point and spout off a bunch of stuff I never said.

The only thing that I posted to you was>

"Classy. I'll bet you'd move your truck if the fumes were coming into your house"

I have no issue with the OP. He did make an effort to fix the problem.

You on the other hand would let yours run longer "to be spiteful" Classy.

So if the fumes from your truck were going into your house would you deal with it the same way?

so you are willing to let a neighbour dictate you life,and when you do something to try and help him he calls bylaw,either you are the most understanding person ever you you just don't like me and if I said the sky was blue you would argue it's red.

this guy tried to help and got bylaw called on him,from a house that he said the neighbourhood busted for child abuse,how many times is he supposed to move his truck,maybe he should sell it to make his neighbour happy?,maybe he should change the ind direction and put up fans in his yard to blow it the other way?

and yes if I were in his situation and got bylaw called on me I would idle it longer to spite him,and when I did see the gutless wonder who never had the courtesy to come talk to me before he called bylaw after I tried to accomodate him I would make it clear why it was idling longer, and if he called bylaw again I would buy another diesel and have 2 running side by side,some people are never happy no matter what you do for em so it's best to not try.

if he was my neighbour I would definantely talk to him again instead of calling bylaw to get involved and possibly escalating the problem.

Redfrog
03-01-2011, 04:30 PM
I'll say again.

"Typical liberal reply. Blah! blah! blah!. Ignore the point and spout off a bunch of stuff I never said."

eastcoast
03-01-2011, 04:33 PM
I'll say again.

"Typical liberal reply. Blah! blah! blah!. Ignore the point and spout off a bunch of stuff I never said."

tell me specifically what was liberal about that.

Redfrog
03-01-2011, 04:42 PM
:sign0161: read the quote.:sign0161:

eastcoast
03-01-2011, 04:47 PM
:sign0161: read the quote.:sign0161:

there is nothing liberal about it,you just have one button and when someone pushes it you scream liberal like some kinda old barney doll,fact is you have nothing to say to me intellectually and you just don't like me because I don't agree with you on everything,there is a history and try as you might you can hide it, you just scream liberal and run out of the room hoping it sticks,like I said nothing liberal about what I said, probably more conservative than anything, but whatever gets you through the day I guess.do you stay awake at night thinking about liberals?

Redfrog
03-01-2011, 04:57 PM
You don't get it. never will.

I dread the day you agree with anything I say as it will mean a total reassessment of my values and thought process for me.:)

I'm good with you not agreeing. :) I prefer it actually.:)

Nait Hadya
03-01-2011, 05:21 PM

so far there is only one side to this story so...the fact that you think you got away with something for two years does not constitute innocence. it is merely an indication of how kind your neighbours are. perhaps they are tired of turning the other cheek. what does them calling the RCMP regarding an unrelated issue have to do with the fumes from your truck? you moved your truck down the street for a very specific reason.

TreeGuy
03-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Photoplex, another professional snow guy chiming in here.

For commercial stuff, we are contractually obligated to have these sites cleaned up by a certain time. Failure to do this means we lose the job.

If you think that any of us WANT to be out there in the middle of the night interrupting your beauty sleep, then you need to take the blinders off pal. For believe me, I'd far rather be in bed as well.

If I were to catch someone tossing eggs at myself, my guys or gear in the middle of the night, the consequences would be extremely 'inconveniant' for the offender..........

You owe that crew an appology.

Photoplex
03-01-2011, 06:18 PM
For commercial stuff, we are contractually obligated to have these sites cleaned up by a certain time. Failure to do this means we lose the job.

If you think that any of us WANT to be out there in the middle of the night interrupting your beauty sleep, then you need to take the blinders off pal. For believe me, I'd far rather be in bed as well.

<snip>

You owe that crew an appology.

If they'd have explained it as nicely as you just did when I went down in the middle of the night, I would still have been annoyed - but would have just pursued it the adult way - with their client (the lawyers firm).

As it happens, they were complete and utter rude wankers, and they deserved every single egg.

And as they haven't come round at ungodly hours since the complaints were lodged with the client, it would seem they didn't have to come at 3am. My guess is that they had so many clients to service (oversubscribed) that they were going all hours to keep up.

whitetailhntr
03-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Photo you'de likely be one of the first ones to complain if you woke up and couldn't drive out because of snow or the first one to launch a lawsuit if you slipped and fell.

Like tree said we would all rather be in bed at 3 am but we are obligated by our contracts to have snow removed within a certain time frame. a lot of construction is weather depedent and snow removal helps all make ends meat in the slow winter season.....trust me if i had the choice i'd be sleeping just like you. The whole egg thing really gets my goat cause snow removal is hardly a glamorous job when it's minus 30.

People are quick to complain about the snow removal process or lack there of but most have no idea the work and manpower required to do it.

In any case try and get along wih your neighbours.

Photoplex
03-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Photo you'de likely be one of the first ones to complain if you woke up and couldn't drive out because of snow or the first one to launch a lawsuit if you slipped and fell.

Like tree said we would all rather be in bed at 3 am but we are obligated by our contracts to have snow removed within a certain time frame. a lot of construction is weather depedent and snow removal helps all make ends meat in the slow winter season.....trust me if i had the choice i'd be sleeping just like you. The whole egg thing really gets my goat cause snow removal is hardly a glamorous job when it's minus 30.

People are quick to complain about the snow removal process or lack there of but most have no idea the work and manpower required to do it.

In any case try and get along wih your neighbours.

To be honest, I'm the total opposite. I find it surreal that there are laws here forcing houseowners and businesses to clear their sidewalks. That's probably because I'm from England, and we never get that much snow.

Before the flames start - Don't get me wrong - I GET IT. I KNOW OLD PEOPLE (ETC) MIGHT SLIP AND HURT THEMSELVES. I KNOW WHY IT HAS TO BE DONE.

I still find it surreal.

Ken07AOVette
03-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Oh Photo.dont be such a puddle :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Heehee I got to use it finally :scared0018:

Photoplex
03-01-2011, 07:09 PM

What's all this puddle malarkey?! :scared0015:

chubbdarter
03-01-2011, 07:12 PM

bahawabahawa

220swifty
03-01-2011, 07:38 PM

I used to do commecial snow removal as well. We did sidewalks and had heavy equipment for parking lots. Alot of our clients only wanted us to operate outside of business hours, and we liked it that way as well.High traffic strip malls, and places like Costco are tough enough to drive in when you are a customer, give it a try when you are in a wheel loader.
We wired up a switch for the back up siren, so we could kill it where it was going to be more of an irritation than a safety device, and kept the strobe turned off where it would be flashing into residential windows, but i am sure someone still bitched.

On the same note, we also swept the parking lots that we cleared come spring (pretty good racket, sell em the sand, then charge them to haul it away :D ) We used backpack blowers to "sweep" the sidewalks, and a streetsweeper to do the lot. As you could imagine, it would kick up a decent dust storm in a dirtier lot, some of the cheaper clients would sweep every 3rd or 4th year.

One evening, we were cleaning a lot at a convienience store/neighborhood strip mall, and a younger woman came over, and without tact, blew up on me for getting dust in her house. I asked where she lived and she pointed to a duplex about 250 yds away. She told me that someone should come wash her dishes when we finish, because they are getting coated in dirt, all in that irate, snotty tone that all us married guys are familiar with. I calmly asked if her windows were closed, to which she replied "No, why should i have to close my windows?" I simply told her "To keep dust out of your house". That was met with a "Eff you A-hole!" (toned down for forum use). She then stomped into the store, tore a strip off of the $7/hr clerk, and stomped home.

The moral of the story; The world is full of entitled babies. It is much easier to let them tantrum while you laugh, than it is to get wrapped up in their bull.

silver
03-02-2011, 07:18 AM
big river, I agree, you said it well.

rhuntley12
03-02-2011, 08:13 AM
When we used to live in the city it was annoying when people would mow lawns at 7AM or such. I hated having to shovel the sidewalk after people walked on it, was a pain.

Now I live in the country and have a tractor. Neighbors are terrible here! One time I pulled over to side of road for some reason or another and neighbor down the street pulled out and flipped a U turn to come make sure I was ok.

Or other neighbor who called to see if I wanted help plowing the driveway.(We have a 1/4 kilo driveway and they have a lot bigger tractor)

Or delivering hay to our fence when needed at cheaper then going rate. Helping with horses, etc. Living in the country is rough.:)

Okotokian
03-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Typical liberal reply. Blah! blah! blah!.

Oh c'mon Red. :snapoutofit: Where does politics enter into this conversation? Do you call everything you don't like or disagree with "liberal"? Are ya hating this liberal weather we're having right now? :lol:

eastcoast
03-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Oh c'mon Red. :snapoutofit: Where does politics enter into this conversation? Do you call everything you don't like or disagree with "liberal"? Are ya hating this liberal weather we're having right now? :lol:

like some kinda wind up doll:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Redfrog
03-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Okie, I had such high hopes for you.:thinking-006:

The only thing political is the repeated effort to avoid answering a simple question by the constant use of bafflegab, double speak and horse hockey, used by 'liberals' when they have no defense for their POV>

"like some kinda wind up doll"

Nice to see you are an expert about something.:) Now save your breath for the rest of your collection.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

alodar
03-02-2011, 09:18 AM
I had some bad neighbours living in the suite above my basement suite I worked backshift at the time and complained that I brought 15 people home with me every night and also called the cops on me ...... so I called my landlord and complained to him and he told me too stop having parties when I was coming home and going asleep eventually they impeded my peaceful enjoyment so much I had enough evidence to break my lease without notice now as a home owner your situation is a bit different I suggest pumping nos in their cold intake and they'll never be taken Seriously when they complain cuz the people will see they are high ....... lol or ull blow their furnace up but its a win win lol in that case

eastcoast
03-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Okie, I had such high hopes for you.:thinking-006:

The only thing political is the repeated effort to avoid answering a simple question by the constant use of bafflegab, double speak and horse hockey, used by 'liberals' when they have no defense for their POV>

"like some kinda wind up doll"

Nice to see you are an expert about something.:) Now save your breath for the rest of your collection.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

like I said some kind of wind up doll.

bad weather ... liberals
bad roads........liberals
car won't start..liberals
rifle misfired......liberals

is there anything that wasn't cause by liberals?

there is nothing I said in this thread that had anything political attached to it,you instead of arguing with me just keep repeating the same old used up worthless argument about liberals when it had nothing to do with it,like I said some kind of wind up doll.

Albertadiver
03-02-2011, 09:25 AM
You guys sound like a couple of old farts in the coffee shop with nothing better to do than argue.

eastcoast
03-02-2011, 09:26 AM
You guys sound like a couple of old farts in the coffee shop with nothing better to do than argue.

im trying not to argue,I really don't care to tell you the truth,redfrog seems like some kinda old guy that can't let go of something he is wrong about,and refuses to give in.

Okotokian
03-02-2011, 09:29 AM

Meh. I have relatives like that who have no political leanings what-so-ever. ;)

And you DO realize that any opinion contrary to your own ALWAYS sounds like Bafflegab, right? To me, Ann Coulter seems like a former model with anger management issues who's been hit over the head one to many times with a hammer.

Okotokian
03-02-2011, 09:30 AM

yeah, and your point is Sonny????

Kids these days.... ;)

great white whaler
03-02-2011, 09:37 AM
i live in a older neighbour hood,where the lots are a little bigger, between houses got more space ,and my garage is in the back alley,surrounded buy trees and shrubs and a 6 foot fence.If you live in the new style chicken coup homes your going to have problems,,,garage built in the front ,no trees,and one can reach out and touch your neighbours house.

Redfrog
03-02-2011, 09:39 AM
im trying not to argue,I really don't care to tell you the truth,redfrog seems like some kinda old guy that can't let go of something he is wrong about,and refuses to give in.

If you aren't in a coffee shop, shouldn't you be working.:rolleye2:

burblecut
03-02-2011, 09:43 AM
When I was a young lad & lived with the parents, our neighbor wanted us to cut down a nice big Spruce because he could feel the roots on his lawn. This was a new neighbor...tree has been there for a good 20yrs.

My father basically told him to go pound sand. He tried to get bylaw and everything to get rid of this tree. It never panned out though.

He also called bylaw because my dog happened to bark while visiting my parents (in the day), playing in the yard with my parents dog...

I have confronted the neighbor numerous times to see why he has a bug up his ***, he won't answer the door though, what a coward.

This fool has also pounded out the wood knots in the fence, so he can spy. Complete wacko.

Luckily my Neighbors are all good Folk in the ville.

Ken07AOVette
03-02-2011, 09:48 AM
This fool has also pounded out the wood knots in the fence, so he can spy. Complete wacko.

Ever see 'Porky's'?

What about painting a target on your side of the fence and giving the neighbor kids some painball guns? (pellet guns, etc) :sHa_sarcasticlol:

eastcoast
03-02-2011, 09:50 AM
If you aren't in a coffee shop, shouldn't you be working.:rolleye2:

unfortunately I am off work just doing modified til I see the specialist in a few weeks,I fell off my trailer at work and tore my gleniod labrum in my left shoulder,I would rather be working:argue2:

Redfrog
03-02-2011, 09:56 AM
unfortunately I am off work just doing modified til I see the specialist in a few weeks,I fell off my trailer at work and tore my gleniod labrum in my left shoulder,I would rather be working:argue2:

Naw it's too easy and I'm a better man than that.:)

Hope you get well soon.:)

eastcoast
03-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Naw it's too easy and I'm a better man than that.:)

Hope you get well soon.:)

believe me I have heard it all,after 2 mri's and 1 with the dye,3 doctors and 4 physio therapists this isn't fake,I wish it was im not that good a liar.

Redfrog
03-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Aw c'mon don't be so hard on yourself.:rolleye2:

HunterDave
03-02-2011, 10:19 AM
It's a good thing that Redfrog and eastcoast aren't neighbours eh? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

eastcoast
03-02-2011, 10:23 AM
It's a good thing that Redfrog and eastcoast aren't neighbours eh? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

:argue2:

:scared0018:

Redfrog
03-02-2011, 10:26 AM
:love0025:

eastcoast
03-02-2011, 10:33 AM
:love0025:

seeing that you live in provost you may be neighbours with my father in law.

good luck with that:scared0018:

pickrel pat
03-02-2011, 10:36 AM

my uncle fell off the wagon once.

Redfrog
03-02-2011, 10:36 AM
I'd like to meet him. I'll bet we would get along fine.

eastcoast
03-02-2011, 10:40 AM
I'd like to meet him. I'll bet we would get along fine.

sure if you like someone criticising how long your grass is,what colour your house is,how you park your cars,when you put your garbage out etc you would get along fine.

Redfrog
03-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Sounds like he's raised the bar too high for you.

eastcoast
03-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Sounds like he's raised the bar too high for you.

im glad he lives in provost, and I don't have any grass all rock:sHa_shakeshout: also I park in my garage.

220swifty
03-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Im suprised you took this long to get the spirit of the forum. :p

Beerfish
03-02-2011, 11:11 AM
I'll say again.

Typically people that insert 'liberal' or 'conservative' into discussions that have nothing really to do with the actual views or platforms of being left wing or right wing have very very weak arguments on a topic and like to score points not by countering the other persons argument but by being patted on the back by potentially like minded people.

The best way to 'dumb down' relevant discussion is to toss out labels which are usually totally inaccurate and this is an excellent example.

Redfrog
03-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Typically people that insert 'liberal' or 'conservative' into discussions that have nothing really to do with the actual views or platforms of being left wing or right wing have very very weak arguments on a topic and like to score points not by countering the other persons argument but by being patted on the back by potentially like minded people.

The best way to 'dumb down' relevant discussion is to toss out labels which are usually totally inaccurate and this is an excellent example.

you missed the point as well.

I'll try to dumb it down for you.

I asked a question several times and instead of answering the question, the poster decided to run on and on ad nauseum in a fashion favored by liberals.

The topic content had nothing to do with liberals or Scandinavians or any other group. My 'liberal' reference was to the dodge, weave, and avoid style of the poster.

I hope this helps. I typed as slowly as I could.:)

u_cant_rope_the_wind
03-02-2011, 11:26 AM
there is just way to many panty waste sissy's with lace on their underwear, that are to lazy to deal with a problem amicably and like educated sensible people, they have found its way to easy to call the authorities and let some one else deal with their problems then it is to deal with things and be civil and courteous, to one another,
IMHO those kind of people are were mamma,s babies and and should grow up, cut the umbilical cord or break the suction on the breast and cut the lace off their under wear:bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20:
best thing to do when you get a new neighbor is walk up to him and do to him like in the picture , and set him straight rt off the start, no more neighbor problems :sHa_shakeshout:

Photoplex
03-02-2011, 11:27 AM

Candidate for Post of the Day :happy0034:

JRuel
03-02-2011, 06:11 PM
I actually don't have much for neighbors. The ones I see are actually real friendly. I live in a pretty treed in area, and it's about half a mile to the nearest guys, except for one. I've got one neighbor down the road that has cattle, and, unintentionally, i'm the bad neighbor.

I keep my dogs inside when i'm home, or in thier dog run when i'm not, or, I run them with the rhino, and when i'm outside, so are they. Anywayyyyys, theyve found a way to escape thier run, and they tend to show up over at the neighbors. They want to play with thier dog, but she is very protective. That, and sometimes they chase cows. He has threatened to shoot them, and frankly, I couldn't blame him. I'd be madder than a three legged dog trying to bury a turd on a frozen lake, but he would have every rght to.

Anyways,if anyone has any dog training hints to help me be a better neighbor, please let me know. Theyre great pups, but the leader of the two likes to explore, and the other likes to follow his buddy...

About the OP, I had a very similar Situation when I lived in town, and had a straight piped 98.5 Cummins. I tried to be very accomodating, but, as I found out, you just can't please some people. I ended up getting a big oil pan heater. That, in combination with the block heater, worked quite well.Fire it up, idle out, and by the time I needed to run it hard, it was warm. It was cheap, and it kept everyone happy. Best of luck! Fights with neighbors are the worst....

Redfrog
03-02-2011, 06:24 PM
JRuel, an electronic collar may help with your runaway dog problem.

chewydog
03-02-2011, 07:05 PM
About 10 years ago, we moved to Bentley, it seemed like a nice little town and being born and raised in a small town, it seemed like a prefect fit! Our first day there we found out that there was a huge hog farm on the edge of town and it smelled bad if the wind was in the right direction. It was so bad that I can't eat pork much, the smell just seems to get me!!

Getting to my point of the story, my neighbors seemed nice, they had a nice yard and seemed very friendly. About 6 months in they became the neighbors from hell!!!! My wife was having health problems and the women next door would call her a faker when she was trying to get some sun. I talked to the husband, but he had little man syndrome and would just mouth off and run. I built a fence in the back and attached it the the fence between us. He would go and unattach it, this happened again and again!! They then started to steal my light bulbs from my garage outside light. It got so bad I asked him to settle this like men in the alley but the chicken **** just hid behind his wife.

Finally I found another job and we put our house on the market, it sold right away. The day came and the packers packed us up and were going to load the next day. I was up till midnight that night and I was out in the garage having a beer and packing the stuff that the movers don't do. I came across a full liter of round up and the neighbors watering barrel was located just over the fence beside my garage!! Yup, I poured the whole liter in the barrel, had a good chuckle and went to bed. The movers packed us up and we moved. I never did see the results from the roundup, but I could only hope it was widespread!!!

I now live on an acreage, no more neighbors for me, ever!!

big-river
03-02-2011, 07:49 PM
I have a ranch, about 1000 acres, on the edge of my place is a subdivision of about 20 houses. Nice folks mostly. But dogs run rampant. They end up out my way, they chase cattle, they have killed calves, they run my deer off, one even took a run at me when I was out fixing fence.

I caught one dog and tied a note on a Tyvex tag, "Please keep me home" I saw him the next day running deer at my place again.

About two weeks with coyote snares and a couple of well placed bullets and my dog issues have calmed down alot. The problem is, everybody thinks I am the neighbour from hell.

Long story short................the best way to have good neighbours, most times, is to be a good neighbour yourself. Makes a world of difference. And if you have dogs, and they are allowed to run, you may well find yourself living by a "bad neighbour."

chewydog
03-02-2011, 08:07 PM
I have a ranch, about 1000 acres, on the edge of my place is a subdivision of about 20 houses. Nice folks mostly. But dogs run rampant. They end up out my way, they chase cattle, they have killed calves, they run my deer off, one even took a run at me when I was out fixing fence.

I caught one dog and tied a note on a Tyvex tag, "Please keep me home" I saw him the next day running deer at my place again.

About two weeks with coyote snares and a couple of well placed bullets and my dog issues have calmed down alot. The problem is, everybody thinks I am the neighbour from hell.

Long story short................the best way to have good neighbours, most times, is to be a good neighbour yourself. Makes a world of difference. And if you have dogs, and they are allowed to run, you may well find yourself living by a "bad neighbour."

Well said!

deanmc
03-02-2011, 08:09 PM
I actually don't have much for neighbors. The ones I see are actually real friendly. I live in a pretty treed in area, and it's about half a mile to the nearest guys, except for one. I've got one neighbor down the road that has cattle, and, unintentionally, i'm the bad neighbor.

I keep my dogs inside when i'm home, or in thier dog run when i'm not, or, I run them with the rhino, and when i'm outside, so are they. Anywayyyyys, theyve found a way to escape thier run, and they tend to show up over at the neighbors. They want to play with thier dog, but she is very protective. That, and sometimes they chase cows. He has threatened to shoot them, and frankly, I couldn't blame him. I'd be madder than a three legged dog trying to bury a turd on a frozen lake, but he would have every rght to.

Anyways,if anyone has any dog training hints to help me be a better neighbor, please let me know. Theyre great pups, but the leader of the two likes to explore, and the other likes to follow his buddy...

About the OP, I had a very similar Situation when I lived in town, and had a straight piped 98.5 Cummins. I tried to be very accomodating, but, as I found out, you just can't please some people. I ended up getting a big oil pan heater. That, in combination with the block heater, worked quite well.Fire it up, idle out, and by the time I needed to run it hard, it was warm. It was cheap, and it kept everyone happy. Best of luck! Fights with neighbors are the worst....

Arent you able to fix the fence? How do they get out?

The training is usually more about the owner than the dog. lol

silver
03-03-2011, 05:16 AM
There is the story about the old rancher who went to talk to the neighbours in the acreage down the road. He asked them if their dogs ever chased cattle and was firmly told no. He said that was good and it wasnt their dogs he just shot.

rhuntley12
03-03-2011, 07:23 AM

Get an invisible fence. We have our inner yard cross fenced and our dogs don't try to leave the yard at all. Neighbor has invisible fence and it works excellent, after a few shocks they know the boundry and dont need the collar.

rhuntley12
03-03-2011, 07:33 AM

One of my neighbors always introduces themselves and first thing they say is they will give you one warning about your dog then shoot it the next time. Funny thing is their dog is the only one that runs lose.

It really is too bad people think they can just let their dogs roam, do they think they will be ok and not bug people or just don't want them? Is a dog off 552 between Calgary and Okotoks that everyone around knows by name as it's always loose. When we first saw it roaming the highway stopped and called owner on tag. They were out skiing and said just let her go as she roams a lot. Was the sweetest dog too, and obviously starved for attention. Haven't seen it lately so not sure if just not passing at right time or if coyotes got it.

deanmc
03-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Get an invisible fence. We have our inner yard cross fenced and our dogs don't try to leave the yard at all. Neighbor has invisible fence and it works excellent, after a few shocks they know the boundry and dont need the collar.

One thing to consider about the invisible fence is that it will not keep other dogs out of your yard.

Albertadiver
03-03-2011, 06:21 PM
All this talk about dogs running loose reminded me of my friendship with the neighbor's cats. Funny... Haven't seen them since early fall!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=66369

:sHa_shakeshout:

TreeGuy
03-03-2011, 06:43 PM
All this talk about dogs running loose reminded me of my friendship with the neighbor's cats. Funny... Haven't seen them since early fall!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=66369

:sHa_shakeshout:

That reminds me of a funny story if yer intested...... ;)

Albertadiver
03-03-2011, 08:44 PM

Heck Yes!

Ken07AOVette
03-03-2011, 09:17 PM

How long do you think we have to wait Diver? :confused:

TreeGuy
03-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Heck Yes!

My loudmouth liberal brother-in-law lives in the 'Chuck and is himself a bad neighbour. They have a large and ornrey old tom cat they let wander.

Their next door neighbour is a single 50 something with about 100 different bird feeders in his backyard. You can draw your own conclussions on this kook. ;)

Needless to say, it's been very much a 'Hatfields vs McCoys' situation for years on that street.

Kook finally says he's getting a live trap and will catch BIL's cat and kill it (can't blame him really).

This of course enrages BIL. However, instead of retaliating right then and there, he thinks about it for a day or so.

Instead of doing the right thing and taking responsibility for his animal, he comes up with a far more 'interesting' scheme.

Bugger got a live trap from the SPCA, set it in his own backyard and caught his cat in it. At this point, he proceeded to apply some 'adversity training' to it with a garden hose and baseball bat. Wanna think that cat was EVER going near something like that again? :lol:

Kooky neighbour spent over a year and over $1000 on different baits trying to nab that cat to no avail. Last I heard he had a nervous breakdown and sold the house! :lol:

pickrel pat
03-04-2011, 12:02 AM
My loudmouth liberal brother-in-law lives in the 'Chuck and is himself a bad neighbour. They have a large and ornrey old tom cat they let wander.

Their next door neighbour is a single 50 something with about 100 different bird feeders in his backyard. You can draw your own conclussions on this kook. ;)

Needless to say, it's been very much a 'Hatfields vs McCoys' situation for years on that street.

Kook finally says he's getting a live trap and will catch BIL's cat and kill it (can't blame him really).

This of course enrages BIL. However, instead of retaliating right then and there, he thinks about it for a day or so.

Instead of doing the right thing and taking responsibility for his animal, he comes up with a far more 'interesting' scheme.

Bugger got a live trap from the SPCA, set it in his own backyard and caught his cat in it. At this point, he proceeded to apply some 'adversity training' to it with a garden hose and baseball bat. Wanna think that cat was EVER going near something like that again? :lol:

Kooky neighbour spent over a year and over $1000 on different baits trying to nab that cat to no avail. Last I heard he had a nervous breakdown and sold the house! :lol:please tell me you made that up! what some people will do! haha to funny!

TreeGuy
03-04-2011, 12:17 AM
please tell me you made that up! what some people will do! haha to funny!

Dude...if I was smart enough to make that up I wouldn't be pushing snow for a living right now. :lol:

Albertadiver
03-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Dude...if I was smart enough to make that up I wouldn't be pushing snow for a living right now. :lol:

That and the family Tree has a rather interesting genetic strain....

Ken07AOVette
03-04-2011, 06:41 PM
That and the family Tree has a rather interesting genetic strain....

I just think there is something wrong in that guy's head, he said to me rather frankly when we met and arm wrestling was discussed for the meal bill

" Fighting me would be like trying to bath a cat. Fur teeth claws and ass all over the place, you may get the job done, but I guarantee we will both be bleeding" :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Then he sent me a pic of him and his cat
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/cat_in_the_bath.jpg

So Nova *!%
03-04-2011, 07:07 PM

I love what everybody missed THE TRUCK IS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY while it is warming up!!!! you want me to drive my truck off my(driveway, a place where I park my vehicles so I don't have to fight with neighbors over parking space in front of house) property so you can call a by-law officer on me????:thinking-006:
I don't think I would escalate but I sure as hell wouldn't emasculate
You don't own the space on the road in front of your house but you pay taxes for it. the driveway is 100% yours and remember you-cant-rope-the-wind so where the smoke goes???
life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.... don't come calling to **** in my cornflakes because yours taste funny ( 3rd edit for additional comment) a little hot now reading stuff like this I have a strong sense of MINE so eff off eh

pikergolf
03-04-2011, 07:26 PM
I love what everybody missed THE TRUCK IS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY while it is warming up!!!! you want me to drive my truck off my(driveway, a place where I park my vehicles so I don't have to fight with neighbors over parking space in front of house) property so you can call a by-law officer on me????:thinking-006:
You don't own the space on the road in front of your house but you pay taxes for it. the driveway is 100% yours and remember you-cant-rope-the-wind

I don't think anybody missed it.

So Nova *!%
03-04-2011, 07:58 PM
We don't all play nice together that is why we put up fences, that way I don't have to clean up after your dog.
this really reminds me about the condo units in the big C going smoke free as a by-law in effect making it illegal to smoke in your own house because it offends someone else
Question: did you smell smoke when you were viewing the condo for sale?
Answer : yes but I ...
Question:and you still chose to buy?
Answer : yes but....
Question : why do you keep calling me but?

Can you own the air you breath? Can some worldly force say to you " you cannot breath today there isn't enough to go around?"

I don't have all the answers maybe John Lennon did but at least one person didn't think so.
I apologize for letting my "tongue get away with me and swearing in the forum I endeavor to keep my rants pg rated

Tom Pullings
03-04-2011, 08:08 PM
OP, just park in the street. Not worth the hassle and you'll likely have a good friend next door after that. Courtesy doesn't = cowardice.

So Nova *!%
03-05-2011, 06:54 AM
OP, just park in the street. Not worth the hassle and you'll likely have a good friend next door after that. Courtesy doesn't = cowardice.

You missed the part where he did move his truck and had by-law called on him.

Tom Pullings
03-05-2011, 10:49 AM
You missed the part where he did move his truck and had by-law called on him.

I could be mistaken but I don't think he moved into the street. I believe he just moved to another part of the driveway.

Bushrat
03-05-2011, 12:08 PM
You don't own the space on the road in front of your house but you pay taxes for it. the driveway is 100% yours and remember you-cant-rope-the-wind so where the smoke goes???
life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.... don't come calling to **** in my cornflakes because yours taste funny ( 3rd edit for additional comment) a little hot now reading stuff like this I have a strong sense of MINE so eff off eh

Blah blah.... all sounds great until someone does something in their yard that affects you negatively in your yard or house.....then you'd be the one whining about your right to breathe clean air, peace and quiet, whatever on your own private property. What about your neighbors right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness......... hyppocrits eh......

So Nova *!%
03-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Blah blah.... all sounds great until someone does something in their yard that affects you negatively in your yard or house.....then you'd be the one whining about your right to breathe clean air, peace and quiet, whatever on your own private property. What about your neighbors right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness......... hyppocrits eh......

No I am not a hypocrite I would expect if I built a house next to a gun range that I would hear gunfire:sign0161:
I also expect that a neighbor who parks on his driveway will warm his(her) vehicle up in the winter:sign0161:
you cannot control who builds/ buys the house next to you but if my house started to fill up with diesel fumes I'd probably be thinking about getting the holes in my house fixed

Tom Pullings
03-05-2011, 03:06 PM
No I am not a hypocrite I would expect if I built a house next to a gun range that I would hear gunfire:sign0161:
I also expect that a neighbor who parks on his driveway will warm his(her) vehicle up in the winter:sign0161:
you cannot control who builds/ buys the house next to you but if my house started to fill up with diesel fumes I'd probably be thinking about getting the holes in my house fixed

Sure. But what is so hard/bad about moving his truck? I would love to see your airtight house.

So Nova *!%
03-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Sure. But what is so hard/bad about moving his truck? I would love to see your airtight house.

:fighting0074: truck was moved in an attempt to placate the disturbed neighbor but as far as a airtight home there's a grant for that! (lol )It helps the environment LOL as the guy next door lets his diesel idle for an hour 'cause they don't warm the cab by idling
OP has every right to be hot under the collar IMHO short of any illegal activity your home, your property YOUR RULES.
In a different thread there is a coyote problem in town, just keep calling until you are more of a pest than the coyotes. This is just some advice if you need to figure out how to get a by-law started for your neighborhood