PDA

View Full Version : Jiffy White Lightning Won't start..

FishingFrenzy
02-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Well.. some of you may know I recently got my first power auger. a Jiffy White Lightning, wanted an eskimo but this was my second choice. Anyway, In my warm garage it starts great. First pull every time without priming or choking. The longer it stays outside the harder it is to start.
For example i was out fishing yesterday and at the first spot it fired up okay, about 4 pulls. Then it was outside for about an hour in -16, we tried to start it again, primed it, choked it, pulled with the throttle on partway and we got her started on about 25 pulls. Then we left it outside for another hour, saw some guys with a hand auger walk on so i decided i would go punch a couple holes for them. COULD NOT get it to start, tried priming, choking, using the throttle, everything, we PULLED and PULLED and PULLED, we even took turns pulling.

So we gave up. Then, took it home, let it warm up for around 30 mins and it started on the first pull again.

It runs great once its starts! Just let it idle with it "choked" for about 30 seconds then ease it over to "run" and it goes great! Cuts like a beast!! I have litteraly never seen a power auger cut a hole that quick.

I pulled the plug out and checked for spark, its got a good strong blue spark.

I dont know what to do? Should i return it? Is there an easy fix?

I mixed the fuel 40:1 like it says, used unleaded fuel and 2 stroke snowmobile oil.

Sorry for all the auger questions but... a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do :)

RedFisher
02-28-2011, 07:39 PM
you know i had the same problem with mine last year when i bought it so i emailed jiffy and got a responce of pretty much bla bla bla.... So i just played around with it while on the ice a few times and figured out that if you drill a hole only about 6 inches or so into the ice and leave the auger standing up it starts better.... also try priming it 2-3 times hold the throttle down and pull it... it should start up... if it still doesnt work send it back for warrenty work somthings probably wrong with it.....

just my 2 cents.... hope it helps

WayneChristie
02-28-2011, 07:40 PM
mine was hard to start, until I tried starting with the choke closed, just hold the throttle wide open, then after it starts and warms up for a few seconds add the choke to about half way and it goes like crazy. might be just mine, but it starts in minus 37 with just a couple pulls if I do it this way. (let off the throttle when you add the choke)

harrydude
02-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Well.. some of you may know I recently got my first power auger. a Jiffy White Lightning, wanted an eskimo but this was my second choice. Anyway, In my warm garage it starts great. First pull every time without priming or choking. The longer it stays outside the harder it is to start.
For example i was out fishing yesterday and at the first spot it fired up okay, about 4 pulls. Then it was outside for about an hour in -16, we tried to start it again, primed it, choked it, pulled with the throttle on partway and we got her started on about 25 pulls. Then we left it outside for another hour, saw some guys with a hand auger walk on so i decided i would go punch a couple holes for them. COULD NOT get it to start, tried priming, choking, using the throttle, everything, we PULLED and PULLED and PULLED, we even took turns pulling.

So we gave up. Then, took it home, let it warm up for around 30 mins and it started on the first pull again.

It runs great once its starts! Just let it idle with it "choked" for about 30 seconds then ease it over to "run" and it goes great! Cuts like a beast!! I have litteraly never seen a power auger cut a hole that quick.

I pulled the plug out and checked for spark, its got a good strong blue spark.

I dont know what to do? Should i return it? Is there an easy fix?

I mixed the fuel 40:1 like it says, used unleaded fuel and 2 stroke snowmobile oil.

Sorry for all the auger questions but... a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do :)

were are you located???

FishingFrenzy
02-28-2011, 07:59 PM
were are you located???

Why do you ask?

Big Red 250
02-28-2011, 08:08 PM
If it starts and runs good in your heated garage, then is hard to start as it gets cold, outside,maybe it's freezing up. Try adding a couple of drops of gas line antifreeze to the fuel tank. And also to your fuel container. Just a thought.

muzzy
02-28-2011, 08:16 PM
I have one Once I fire it up and drill a few holes when I want a few more I don't touch primer at all i give it a couple pulls and if it doesn't fire up just feather the gas a bit as i pull and it usually fires up They seem to flood easy

Gord

SushiUnagi
02-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Hey Frenzy! I see you finally break it in!

Funny I have the same issue with mine too. The first time we started it, it ran for a little bit but then died. Couldn't get it to start again. Troubleshooting it with my dad on the ice and he suggested we move from full choke to half choke. It then starts beautifully. I'm guessing it might be flooded with fuel? Not sure if this is what chokes does, but maybe full choke gives it a lot of gas, and since it was flooded, moving it back a notch to half choke worked fine. At least for us. Try that when you go out next.

I also read in the manual that if its too cold and won't start, it did mention of bringing it to somewhere warm, pull the spark plug out and wipe all the fuel, reconnect it, and try again. It should then start fine.

I've read all these posts with people saying starts on first pull at -35 celcius temperature on their 100 year old jiffy...really baffles me now that I have a 1 month old auger and couldn't do the same with it. Kinda disappointing. lol

FishingFrenzy
02-28-2011, 08:26 PM
If it starts and runs good in your heated garage, then is hard to start as it gets cold, outside,maybe it's freezing up. Try adding a couple of drops of gas line antifreeze to the fuel tank. And also to your fuel container. Just a thought.

Hmm, good thought. The actully gas line to the engine isn't freezing because it is clear and i can see. Is there another part which might be freezing..?

Good ideas so far guys, tommorow i will throw it outside again for an hour and try feathering the gas/holding it wide open and pulling.

tight lines!

Daceminnow
02-28-2011, 08:32 PM
from my post last night on your other thread. lots of this sounds familiar from the other jiffy guys comments. gotta figure out how your new baby wants to be treated.

jiffy
i ran a 3hp jiffy for many years. you need to figure out what it wants you to do to start it. if that makes sense? when mine was cold full choke prime 3 times pull till it fired. choke off pull till it started. if it didn't start after no choke, prime a couple more times - no more choke. after its first start of the day - no more choke again. if it didn't start after a couple pulls, 3 more primes and away she went. it flooded very easily. ran like a champ for many years, but in my mind it was finicky to start and if i didn't follow a ritual it would flood. i'm sure some other jiffy guys can shed some light for you as well.

was your auger flooded? no choke no prime hold the throttle wide open and pull till it fires. no go let it sit for a bit, and try that again.

Off in the Bushes
02-28-2011, 08:32 PM
I had the same thing a few years ago, got new gas (premium) and jiffy's oil and mixed I have not had a problem since. I do get new gas every year though.

chubbdarter
02-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Hey Frenzy! I see you finally break it in!

Funny I have the same issue with mine too. The first time we started it, it ran for a little bit but then died. Couldn't get it to start again. Troubleshooting it with my dad on the ice and he suggested we move from full choke to half choke. It then starts beautifully. I'm guessing it might be flooded with fuel? Not sure if this is what chokes does, but maybe full choke gives it a lot of gas, and since it was flooded, moving it back a notch to half choke worked fine. At least for us. Try that when you go out next.

I also read in the manual that if its too cold and won't start, it did mention of bringing it to somewhere warm, pull the spark plug out and wipe all the fuel, reconnect it, and try again. It should then start fine.

I've read all these posts with people saying starts on first pull at -35 celcius temperature on their 100 year old jiffy...really baffles me now that I have a 1 month old auger and couldn't do the same with it. Kinda disappointing. lol

keep in mind epa rules have changed alot...manufacturers of all engines....especially 2 strokes have been forced to comply with tougher rules.

Big Red 250
02-28-2011, 10:02 PM
When I had my Jiffy 3hp, I never used the choke to start it. I would prime it until gas started to run out the carb. Then I would hold the throttle wide open, pull the rope 4 or 5 times and it would be running.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-28-2011, 10:49 PM
This is the very reason I told you to use the jiffy oil / fuel stabilizer . Its 2.00 for a little jug of it . dump out the gas and repeat .

Your gas isnt freezing . If it continiues to do this adjust the set screws a 1/4 turn at a time but remember where you started otherwise your hooped . |Its all apart of getting broke in .

iliketrout
02-28-2011, 11:00 PM
I don't really think I'm adding anything that others haven't mentioned. But here's my experiences (BTW it's a 2hp model 77)

I rarely need full choke. On the coldest days yes, but typically 1/2 to 2/3 choke is plenty. When it's cold its needs some throttle to get it going, the colder it is the more throttle. Don't pull more than twice with the throttle wide open or you risk flooding.

Don't leave it choked very long (max 5 secs) after it fires.

If I crack mine wide open before it warms up it will sputter and usually quit. So I let it warm for a good 30 seconds before going. And if you're like me and drill a ton of holes, the extra few seconds isn't much.

I think mine may be a little on the lean side but it idles great and I know how to start it easily, so I haven't messed with the carb.

All this is very basic stuff so I'm not sure if I've helped. But like Dace said, mine will start easier after the first use of the day even if it's cooled down completely. you just need to learn it's little quirks.

jacob1202
03-01-2011, 01:00 AM
pull it over with the choke full on til it fires and dies... then turn the choke off and pull... should start on the first pull after that... seems like the remedy for every 2 stroke engine ive ever used... just like a chainsaw... when u choke it and pull it will usually start and stall right away... then u turn the choke off and it starts first pull... all your choke does is cut air supply therefore making the engine run richer (more fuel than air)... so once it fires and dies the choke is no longer needed... do this b4 u pull it over 100 times and flood it... might work???

Kim473
03-01-2011, 04:04 AM
I had the same thing a few years ago, got new gas (premium) and jiffy's oil and mixed I have not had a problem since. I do get new gas every year though.

I allways use premium gas in all the toys. They are all noticably starting better when its cold. You may need to tweek the jets slightly, just a 1/8 of a turn on the screw may make all the differance. Put a small mark on the screw with a black felt pen before adjusting, so you have an idea where you started. If you do adjust the screws put a drop of lock tight on the screw after you find the setting so it does not move after with vibration. No more than a drop. Check your gas line if there may be a kink in it also. Add Stabil to your fuel also. My Eskimo starts one or two pulls every time with the right amount of choke, prime and throtle. I use jiffy oil also. Your snowmobile oil may be the differance also as this is such a tiny engine the oil may be too thick. Just a thought. I would start by changing the oil and gas first and see if that makes a differance then adjust the screw. Do not use an ethonol gas. Check the jiffy web site as they may have a trouble shooting guide there.

Fishhunter
03-01-2011, 05:22 AM
There is moisture in your carburator that turns to ice in the cold so add 1 teaspoon "approx" of gasline antifreeze to the tank and the problem will stop had the same trouble with mine.you don't need special oil, snowmobile oil is fine i've used that in my jiffy for 20+years and still runs great,i only prime mine untill i see a drop or 2 come out of the carb, i never have to choke it and if i doesn't start after 2 or 3 pulls i have bad gas,i empty it all out and put in new gas.

Dust1n
03-01-2011, 07:23 AM
those augers flood vry easy...and they start better on the side i got rd of mine good augers but flood too easy.

Jiffy10
03-01-2011, 08:28 AM
I believe that the unit was flooded.

they can be a bit "finacky:" and often each one has its own specifics
when getting them to start.

Try starting the unit with only the choke on full - no primer.
It this doesnt work....
I would only give the unit one Prime shot and full choke to try again.
Thats a min. gas shot to get it going. You can always add more but
when its flooded ... there is no going backwards quickly.
When you are pulling .... use half throttle .
By adding fuel to the equation you are finding the sweet spot .
This may do the trick.

One thing that all these Tecumshe units "DO NOT LIKE " is laying the
motor down with the carb facing down. This allows the fuel to run
past the needle and seat and flood the unit. ALways transport and
store the unit with the carb facing up. Laying it down wrong has the
unit flooding right from the start before you even try it !! careful with
this.

AbProwler
03-01-2011, 08:40 AM
I have the Jiffy 8" 50th anniversary, 2001 Model 75.
It doesn't have a primer! It has non-adjustable mixture screws!
Choke-Pull-Fires-1/2 choke-Fires/Runs-No choke, feather throttle, smooths out, idle into ice and hit er'

FishingFrenzy
03-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks for all the help everyone!!! I really, really appreciate it! This is my first power auger so im still trying to learn what make them tick.

Tight lines!!!!!!!!

Oh, and one more thing. I keep reading about a air vent, air screw, gas tank vent??!?! Here's a quote from iceshanty "Make sure your air screw on the gas tank cap is open"

I dont see anything on my gas tank cap..? What exactly is an "air screw" on a gas tank cap???

great white whaler
03-01-2011, 09:27 AM
its a little silver thumb screw 'located on the gas cap,all augers have it,you close it when you store it ,,must be open 'when you go to use it

chasingtail
03-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Got a new jiffy auger to model 30, on the really cold days I have had to warm the auger up in the truck before I could get it started. Also when it is running it bogs out all the time while drilling, have to pull the auger up to take some weight off to stop it from stalling. I have tinkered lots with it but these new jiffys are not as good as the old ones.

iliketrout
03-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks for all the help everyone!!! I really, really appreciate it! This is my first power auger so im still trying to learn what make them tick.

Tight lines!!!!!!!!

Oh, and one more thing. I keep reading about a air vent, air screw, gas tank vent??!?! Here's a quote from iceshanty "Make sure your air screw on the gas tank cap is open"

I dont see anything on my gas tank cap..? What exactly is an "air screw" on a gas tank cap???

If you don't open it you'll be pulling against a vacuum after you've ran the auger for a bit. Eventually you'll starve the motor.

Just remember to close it before heading home!

nicemustang
03-01-2011, 10:20 AM
You people and your jiffys....buy a eskimo and problem solved.

gordfishing
03-01-2011, 10:22 AM
from what I have been told be careful not to choke it too much, I got a new jiffy 10 in. worked good first time but wasn't -25

pikester
03-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Fishing frenzy, does the auger not even fire when you try to restart it or does it fire then stop? Like the general concensus here, I suspect it has something to do with over choking. My Model 30 10" ran like crap the first season I had it but since then I rebuilt the carb 3 times & have re-set the screws about a dozen times, now she runs like a corvette! I only use full choke when the auger is stone cold when I first get to the lake; once fired up I switch to half choke & drill one complete hole before switching the choke fully off. After that I never use anything but half choke to start it, then quickly switch to choke off. Should mention that before firing the auger up on half choke I always give the primer 1 or 2 shots & it's never failed to fire right up for me :)

The thing with Jiffy's is they all seem to be different so each one seems to have it's own quirks, part of the fun in having one I guess if you don't mind tinkering a little like I do lol.

great white whaler
03-01-2011, 10:28 AM
I've always been jiffy 'no problems,,got to no how to wine and dine the girl:love0025:

splake0
03-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Although some of these suggestions seem OK if you still have the problem Try adjusting the air/fuel mixture. I normally start with both screws turned all the way in then back them out 1.5 turns. With a buddy pull start it and then tweek it to run at desired preformance (usually a 1/4 turn more with the right air fuel mixture screw).

You got nothing to loose

Good luck

FishingFrenzy
03-01-2011, 11:55 AM
So I looked again at the auger for this gas-cap vent and mine doesnt have a thumbscrew or anything but it does have a small hole (1mm across at the most) in the gas cap. Upon further inspection it seems as tho this was designed so that it releases pressure but does not allow fuel to leak out.. Im not sure. Someone with a newer jiffy probably knows what i mean.

Im planning on trying all of the above suggestions and if nothing works very well i will just return it and get an eskimo next year.

great white whaler
03-01-2011, 12:57 PM
back of the gas cap to see if there is any pressure,if so its not venting.....just sayin :)

FishingFrenzy
03-01-2011, 02:31 PM
back of the gas cap to see if there is any pressure,if so its not venting.....just sayin :)

Okay, did this. There is a bit of pressure. Looked over the gas cap AGAIn very closely. Nuthin. Any guys with new jiffys got a comment on this? Didnt say anything in the manual about it.

chubbdarter
03-01-2011, 02:35 PM
what does your operators manual say?

harrydude
03-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Why do you ask?

elevation would do it as well

you jet the carb for higher elevations

like in snow mobiles

FishingFrenzy
03-01-2011, 02:55 PM
what does your operators manual say?

elevation would do it as well

you jet the carb for higher elevations

like in snow mobiles

Chubb darter, operators doesnt mention any sort of gascap vent anywhere.

harrydude, Edmonton area, shouldn't be an elevation problem

Okay everyone. So far i have tried everyone suggested starting procedure and nothing has produced results. For options left i have: Add gasline antifreeze, use premium gas with jiffy oil, adjust carb screws, return it and buy an eskimo next year..

Daceminnow
03-01-2011, 03:03 PM
possibly you are the proud owner of a lemon. take her back, and go buy a lazer mag. i'm not a jiffy basher. ran one for years but now run a much lighter SM and love it.

iliketrout
03-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Chubb darter, operators doesnt mention any sort of gascap vent anywhere.

harrydude, Edmonton area, shouldn't be an elevation problem

Okay everyone. So far i have tried everyone suggested starting procedure and nothing has produced results. For options left i have: Add gasline antifreeze, use premium gas with jiffy oil, adjust carb screws, return it and buy an eskimo next year..

Try contacting someone on this page:

http://www.jiffyonice.com/EComStore/ProStaffLocator.aspx

Fishhunter
03-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Try the gasline antifreeze,put some in your tank run it when auger is warm to ensure it is in the whole system,then leave it outside for 1/2 hour and try it if it works at all then move to premium gas and jiffy oil if you like, it probbily is the best for the auger.Choke only untill it fires then take it off for next several pulls or it will flood right away.Good luck!!!

Photoplex
03-01-2011, 09:23 PM
You people and your jiffys....buy a eskimo and problem solved.

Fishing mate of mine bought an Eskimo this winter. That things starts first/second pull almost every time.

-20c? No problem!
Left lying down in the blowing snow so it's almost covered in snow? Bring it on!

SushiUnagi
03-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Okay, did this. There is a bit of pressure. Looked over the gas cap AGAIn very closely. Nuthin. Any guys with new jiffys got a comment on this? Didnt say anything in the manual about it.

Same on mine. Manual is referring to it but its just not there. I just twist open it up to allow pressure to leave before I start the thing.

FishingFrenzy
03-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! I decided its probably a lemon and took it to the lawn mower hospital for warrenty.

Tried to return it to WSS, its had gas in it so i cant. Whatever i love it once it starts ;D

chubbdarter
03-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! I decided its probably a lemon and took it to the lawn mower hospital for warrenty.

Tried to return it to WSS, its had gas in it so i cant. Whatever i love it once it starts ;D

good stuff....it will all work out

iliketrout
03-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Hopefully it will be a quick fix and be ready for the weekend. Let us know what the diagnosis is, maybe we can all learn something from this.

FishingFrenzy
03-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Hopefully it will be a quick fix and be ready for the weekend. Let us know what the diagnosis is, maybe we can all learn something from this.

Will do!! Over the phone they figured it was a crank seal.

chubbdarter
03-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Will do!! Over the phone they figured it was a crank seal.

that explains alot

iliketrout
03-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the update!

Battleriverman
03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
My jiffy Model 30 sits in the back of my truck most of the winter outside & all I do is use the right gas -oil mixture. Give it a choke -prime it & start it up ! There are two mixture screws . the one on the left- low speed- back out if it will not idle . if it will not not rev unless the choke is closed , back out the screw that is furthest from the engine block(on the right ) ( high speed mixture). Once you have these set you shouldn't have any trouble . Hope this helps !