PDA

View Full Version : Rust in Gas Tank

joeya
02-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Hey guys, found a smokin deal on a Yamaha EF3000ise generator, could tell the guy didn't quite keep up on the maintenence, but the price was right, and it was running fine. Got it all cleaned up and services on the weekend but I have one problem, the fuel tank has rust forming in the bottom. Has anyone experienced this, and what is the best way to clean it out? I understand there is a rust removal product for this and was wondering if anyone has experience with these products?

Thanks, Joey

NaeKid
02-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Most motorcycle shops have a product to "fix" motorcycle fuel-tanks. The products when used together will remove the rust-flakes and then seal up the tank. I know that GW-Motorsports on Barlow North in Calgary has the kits to do this. I personally have not used it, but, from my reading of motorcycle magazines and what has been reported on several motorcycle forums, it sounds like the kits are amazing.

If you can remove the tank and seal up the holes for the chemical baths, it would probably do the trick for ya.

silver
03-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Aaaahhh, the rusty tank problem. I have a couple that are going to need attention. I have a motorcycle gas tank sealer, it is a two part system. The first one etchs the metal, and the second one seals. I believe it is to seal the tiny holes that might ruin a fancy paint job. I have wondered about using a product like CLR. Pour it in the tank, swirl it around, let it set for a day or two, rinse it out and use it like normal. Anybody try this?

NaeKid
03-01-2011, 07:53 AM
I have had pretty good results with CLR (Calcium Lime Rust) cleaner. I don't think that you would have any issues with using CLR to clean out the tank - just make sure that you rinse very well and air-dry (forced air would probably be best). Another thing that I was told is to drop a couple handfulls of gravel (fish-tank gravel works well) into the tank before you shake it up to help break-up the rust-flakes.

NoKlu
03-01-2011, 08:19 AM
I just did some reading and any tank kit will have the proper rust cleaner and coatings in the package. This post did contain info on using Muriatic acid to clean the tank but after a little research I found out it's the wrong stuff to use. It promotes rust if not properly cleaned and coated very soon after use.

sirmike68
03-01-2011, 09:03 AM
In my small motorbike tank I put a couple cups of rock chips and naptha and shook tyhe hell out it. Cleaned it up spottless, just make sure you give it a good flush afterwards.