PDA

View Full Version : Expensive Fly Rods, Worth it?

Off in the Bushes
02-28-2011, 08:24 PM
I was thinking of getting a TFO BVK and was looking at some other rods today and am begining to rethink that idea. Are the expensive rods $375+ worth it. The guy at Wholesale helped school me today on rod and reel choices (Big Thanks to WSS). Is there a point where the rod is to advanced for the angler to grow into, and it is a waste of money. I know an expensive rod is not going to make me catch more fish or bigger fish but will a amatuer/ intermediate angler notice and benefit for a pro level rod, or will it be over their head.

tacklerunner
02-28-2011, 08:34 PM
I was thinking of getting a TFO BVK and was looking at some other rods today and am begining to rethink that idea. Are the expensive rods $375+ worth it. The guy at Wholesale helped school me today on rod and reel choices (Big Thanks to WSS). Is there a point where the rod is to advanced for the angler to grow into, and it is a waste of money. I know an expensive rod is not going to make me catch more fish or bigger fish but will a amatuer/ intermediate angler notice and benefit for a pro level rod, or will it be over their head.

Tough questions... yes, no, maybe. You will definitely notice a difference between a budget rod and a brand name such as TFO and it will be easier to hone your techinique too. As far as spending $375+ for a Sage or some other rods, I doubt you would notice a difference. TFO is one of the best rods for the money IMO. But I don't think you need to spend $375 for a TFO unless you're including the reel and maybe line. Lots of good stuff out there for $200 - $300 complete.

Now having said that, I assume you are going to get something around a 5 wt. Also, you need to assume you will get addicted to fly fishing and your gonna need more rods :) Lots of them, a 3-4 wt for the sport, an 8 wt for catching monster pike etc.

Start reasonable and you will be very happy. Then anything after that will be a special treat when you have the experience to appreciate. I would definitely go with TFO under your specific circumstances.

chubbdarter
02-28-2011, 08:40 PM
some of the 700 buck plus rods are designed to really haul line...pumping the line to load the blank.
maybe its not a matter of you out growing the rod....is the water you fish going to out grow your casting pleasure?
Most rods in the range you speak of will do well in any water in Alberta streams....but they all act alittle different so it comes down to personal choice and waters fished.
A top of the line Sage feels alot different than a top of line Loomis and the list goes on.

fishstix
02-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Any rod will do. As long as you are having fun catching fish, you've got the right rod.
I had a friend who went out and dropped 1 grand on his rod. Nice unit, but now every move i make around it comes with a quick 1000$ warning. "hey man, watch out, my rod is right there on the ground" His fishing days are now more about protecting his 'investment' and less about enjoying the act of fishing itself.

Daceminnow
02-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Any rod will do. As long as you are having fun catching fish, you've got the right rod.
I had a friend who went out and dropped 1 grand on his rod. Nice unit, but now every move i make around it comes with a quick 1000$ warning. "hey man, watch out, my rod is right there on the ground" His fishing days are now more about protecting his 'investment' and less about enjoying the act of fishing itself.

agreed. another age old debate. all rods will catch fish in a guys hand that knows what he's doing. came across this a while back. i'd be the guy on the left, and i catch a few fish. this is a classic.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7795583/

pikergolf
02-28-2011, 08:54 PM

I get the feeling you want to spend the money on a more expensive rod?
It definitely won't be over your head, but as others have said each Co. has unique equipment, and you might not be able to tell the difference until you have more experience. I got my one and only good rod after fly fishing for two years, bought it at a little shop in Kamloops 25 yrs ago. When I told the salesman/owner what I wanted he picked out about 6 rods got his son to go to the park with me and cast. Being a prairie boy I was no great shakes so I got about 30 min of lessons on the double haul, had a great time and never second guessed my purchase. Yes it was expensive, but as I say I never once doubted that I had the right rod for me.

Off in the Bushes
02-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Tough questions... yes, no, maybe. You will definitely notice a difference between a budget rod and a brand name such as TFO and it will be easier to hone your techinique too. As far as spending $375+ for a Sage or some other rods, I doubt you would notice a difference. TFO is one of the best rods for the money IMO. But I don't think you need to spend $375 for a TFO unless you're including the reel and maybe line. Lots of good stuff out there for $200 - $300 complete.

Now having said that, I assume you are going to get something around a 5 wt. Also, you need to assume you will get addicted to fly fishing and your gonna need more rods :) Lots of them, a 3-4 wt for the sport, an 8 wt for catching monster pike etc.

Start reasonable and you will be very happy. Then anything after that will be a special treat when you have the experience to appreciate. I would definitely go with TFO under your specific circumstances.

I have been Fly fishing for more then a decade and for the last 3-5 years I have been using a entry level TFO in a 6 wt. It has been a real treat to use it as my other rod was an Omni and it was like casting a shagetti noodle. It is just that I feel I might have out grown this rod and was looking for one that would allow me to continue growing my skills.

Hooker
02-28-2011, 08:59 PM
If you don't presently have any bad casting habits then an expensive rod with excellent loading capabilities will certainly make the sport more enjoyable. If you haven't had any casting lessons I would urge you to get some before going any further.

chubbdarter
02-28-2011, 09:02 PM
I have been Fly fishing for more then a decade and for the last 3-5 years I have been using a entry level TFO in a 6 wt. It has been a real treat to use it as my other rod was an Omni and it was like casting a shagetti noodle. It is just that I feel I might have out grown this rod and was looking for one that would allow me to continue growing my skills.

now that youve said that....i believe your ready to move up to a faster rod.
im not saying the tfo is a bad rod and many good fisherman use them....but they feel like a wet noodle to me.

Off in the Bushes
02-28-2011, 09:11 PM
If you don't presently have any bad casting habits then an expensive rod with excellent loading capabilities will certainly make the sport more enjoyable. If you haven't had any casting lessons I would urge you to get some before going any further.

I have taken lessons for it and enjoyed them and make use of the lessons each time I am out.

chubbdarter
02-28-2011, 09:12 PM
agreed. another age old debate. all rods will catch fish in a guys hand that knows what he's doing. came across this a while back. i'd be the guy on the left, and i catch a few fish. this is a classic.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7795583/

agree to a certain degree i guess
but heres a example....its a major windy day on the bow....prime hopper time.....some rods no matter even in the hands of a expert ...just cant punch a big bug to the target.
High end rods have there place in all types of fishing....same reason many use a high end loomis or st croix for jigging for walleye....they could use a 20 buck rod ..i guess.

This fellow is ready to move on.....congrats and enjoy your new flyfishing experience.

Daceminnow
02-28-2011, 09:22 PM
agree to a certain degree i guess
but heres a example....its a major windy day on the bow....prime hopper time.....some rods no matter even in the hands of a expert ...just cant punch a big bug to the target.
High end rods have there place in all types of fishing....same reason many use a high end loomis or st croix for jigging for walleye....they could use a 20 buck rod ..i guess.

This fellow is ready to move on.....congrats and enjoy your new flyfishing experience.

for sure chubb. there's a reason there is wide variety of gear on the market. everything has its place. i think that clip is great though cause everyones ran into "that guy" on the stream, geared to the nines that couldn't catch his a** with both hands.

chubbdarter
02-28-2011, 09:24 PM
dont go cheap on your line either....if there is one thing you can save a few pennies on a Alberta set up it would be the reel....lots of reels in the mid range market will do the job.
But if you got the cash go crazy.

goldscud
02-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Chubdarter, will you ever own a Sage or are you only a Loomis guy?
Just curious, I don't own either

tacklerunner
02-28-2011, 09:45 PM

I understand now. I have 5 fly rods. Can only tell you what I did & it was rewarding. Get a Sage. I love mine but others will say they're over priced etc. Or even better PM Kingfisher & get him to supply you with the components, materials and "the book" on how to build your own. I did it. Took a week & that's bout all I did in my spare time. Kinfisher is a top shelf guy, on team Canada's flyfishing team & either way can advise you beyond our capabilities.
My 4 cents (since I already gave you my 2 cents)

chubbdarter
02-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Chubdarter, will you ever own a Sage or are you only a Loomis guy?
Just curious, I don't own either

owned a few sages mostly heavier rods.
when i started using loomis rods for walleye fishing i kinda switched over to loomis fly rods also.
both served me well

rielbowhunter
02-28-2011, 09:55 PM
If you have the money spend it you wont be disappointed. IT sure wont hurt your fishing.
I will say this too. I have 4 cheaper rods in the garage. That I wont use again. really I keep them saying if I need one in a back up. then i have one , But the truth is if I had to wait well my rod was getting warnty fix. I would buy another one, just couldn't go back to those old noddles.

Off in the Bushes
02-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Can you wear out a rod? Will the action and rod eventually break down so that you are casting a noodle again without physically breaking the rod? If I get an expensive rod I want it to last a very long time as it is quiet an investment.

nick0danger
02-28-2011, 10:14 PM
I own lots of rods, sage Scott and a couple t and t's. but for the last few years I've been casting beulahs and they are solid, thinking bought selling the rest. snow bee greys, amundson all make better rods in he sub 300$ price point than tfo. but if I was gonna recommend a rod for a newbie it would be a rio santo from saint croix solid casting beginner rod, that will keep you happy for a long time.

MK2750
02-28-2011, 10:18 PM

I too have been looking at a top end rod. Sage is a great rod but their better rods are $600-700. I wouldn't trade my TFO for a Vantage or Flight. Nothing wrong with them, but they are over priced for little gain.

The BVK is getting very good reviews and in that under $400 price range they seem like a good value.

The CPX Redington feels very good at $300. I really like the look of it as well. Reviews are mixed on the net or I might have grabbed one.

You might want to get a look at Pieroway rods as they seem to get great reviews in that range.

IMHO there is not a lot of difference between a good $150 and the $400 rods, but when you get in to the $500-800 rods there certainly is. When I handle the top end G Loomus, Sage and Orvis they feel awesome.

I am leaning towards a Sage Z-axis in a 6 weight. I am still undecided but it is my favorite so far. Would like to find someone that has fished one before I make a final decision.

Off in the Bushes
02-28-2011, 10:22 PM
I am leaning towards a Sage Z-axis in a 6 weight. I am still undecided but it is my favorite so far. Would like to find someone that has fished one before I make a final decision.

I really wish that there were demo days, (like for skis) where you can go out and test out a few rods to see what you liked best.

nick0danger
02-28-2011, 10:23 PM
dont go cheap on your line either....if there is one thing you can save a few pennies on a Alberta set up it would be the reel....lots of reels in the mid range market will do the job.
But if you got the cash go crazy.

I don't spend more than 40 bucks on line and can cast the whole thing

chubbdarter
02-28-2011, 10:25 PM
I really wish that there were demo days, (like for skis) where you can go out and test out a few rods to see what you liked best.

im not sure but call the Crowsnest Angler/ vic bergman...i think you can demo a rod with a credit card deposit

chubbdarter
02-28-2011, 10:27 PM

how long is that line? Either way congrats

nick0danger
02-28-2011, 10:27 PM

if you want to cast rods come to Calgary go to the south bow fly shop, and or fish tales and go nuts, they will cast with you all day. that said everyone likes there z axis and orvis hydros and Helios, if they say they don't it's personal as they are sweet casting rods.

nick0danger
02-28-2011, 10:30 PM
how long is that line? Either way congrats

80 feet is all, does not look pretty and I cant shoot the backing very yet.

DuckBrat
02-28-2011, 10:35 PM
The best choice in the many fly rod purchases I have made, was downgrading to the Redington CPX. My 10 foot 7 weight goes everywhere with me, cast beautiful loops at long and short distances. The best thing, it only cost me 204 dollars which is many dollars less than the other rods I have purchased. I have suggested this rod continually for the last two years. Best of luck.

chubbdarter
02-28-2011, 10:41 PM
theres no hard and fast rules to rod selection....compare it to golf clubs and baseball bats.
but from what youve said i believe your looking for more backbone and tip speed

Bamm Bamm
02-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Last year I bought a Z axis 6wt, I took it home and was having second thoughts about spending that kind of money on a rod. I decided to take it back to the store and got my money back. I then bought a sage Flight for alot less money. I couldnt get the Zaxis out of my mind, I loved that rod and the ones I test casted suited my casting stroke to a tee. Long story short I know own a Z axis 691-4 with the wells grip and have no regrets. You should come to the fishing hole sale at the end of March (i think) sage will have a booth there, come test some rods. G loomis might have a booth as well, Pieroway is coming to the boat and sportsman show in Edmonton and they have a casting pond they bring with. I know most stores will also let you test cast rods as well. Any yes Line is very important. If you spend the money on a good rod then spend the money on a good line. Rio Gold is an amazing line.

Off in the Bushes
02-28-2011, 10:59 PM
I bought some Rio Gold for my rod last year I and just going to transfer the line the next rod I get and worry about a better reel then my Batten and Kill when I have more money.

MK2750
02-28-2011, 11:18 PM
The Gold is a great line. If you do get a faster action rod try the Grand WF. It takes off like a rocket and you can really feel it load up. It seems to cut through the wind better.

The Gold does seem to lay down small drys nicer if that is your fly of choice.

Kingfisher
03-01-2011, 04:16 AM
I have owned many fly rods over the years. Today I don't honestly know how many I have. But each rod is different and so the advice others have given you about going to a shop and casting a rod is good advice. I love my Sage Z axis. It is a fast action rod. But for half of that price my Reddington CPX is a similar type of rod with nicer components. Remember something Sage spends millions and millions of dollars on advertizing each and every year. Where does that money come from? It comes directly from the consumer. Yes they do put a lot of money into new technology and I certainly appreciate a good rod. But I've been fly fishing for over 30 years. I'm not saying that a person with a dozen years or less won't appreciate a Sage or Loomis rod. But there are a lot of other rods out there that will give you the same results without breaking the bank.

You said you have been fly fishing for more than a decade. So I would say go ahead and get yourself something in the mid price range now. There are several questions that you need to answer before you even start looking at which rod is best for you.

Do you like a rod that is slow, medium or fast action? What do you fish the most? Rivers, creeks, lakes, ocean? I guess the real question is what is the application that you will be mostly using the rod for?

Will you be fishing out of a boat trolling? Or will you be casting from either a boat or off shore.

The modulus ratings of rods are an important for you to look at. A high modulus rating rod will be far more brittle than a lower modulus rod. So if your going to be trolling in a boat then you may want to use a lower modulus rod which will be a stronger rod.

What species of fish do you target the most? If you are mainly fishing pike then do not go with that high end high modulus rod. If you are casting clousers with a bar bell head then you will be dissapointed the first time you nick the rod and it breaks when you have fish on.

Again talk to your dealer. Have the answers to the questions here. Even write them down. Then go to the store. Talk to the guys tell them what your looking for and what you will be using the rod for. I am sure they will be able to assist you along the way.

Good luck with your search.
Rob

Dust1n
03-01-2011, 07:34 AM
there well worth the money if you buy a more expensive fly rod. you get for what you pay for.
lighter,stronger,can haul line better.more sensitive, the list goes on and on.
but with TFO u got warrenty if it snapps so your coverd.
once you cast a mid to high cost sage contact me youll never go back to wall mart rods where there too heavey to make 100 casts or bulky.

walking buffalo
03-01-2011, 07:58 AM
I see the word "Warranty" has finally been mentioned.

I haven't had to replace any of my Sage rods recently. Are they backing up their warranty? I recall a period of time that Sage was getting tired of replacing all the blanks that were breaking.

Over the years I've sent a few rods in for replacement. It's reassuring to know you will get a replacement rod in a timely fashion when one breaks for unknown reasons. It makes the investment easier to make.

For brands, I sure like my Scott rods.

Bigtoad
03-01-2011, 08:52 AM
I love both of my TFO rods and feel like I have my money's worth out of them. Admittedly, I have not tried a $500+ rod like a sage or orvis because I can just not justify the $$$ for better casting so I can not speak about them. Just make sure you get one with a lifetime warranty and that you like it. Also, get a good reel.

Last year, I bought a 4pc 4wt TFO Finesse rod, matched it with a Pflueger reel, and put some Rio gold on it. I love it. My dad and I were out at Prairie and he has a generic 6 wt with generic line. He was having a buggar of a time trying to cast across the river to a rising brown. He got a wind-knot so I gave him my rod to use while I undid his bird's nest. Immediately he was casting effortlessly across the river and missed the take on the brown. I had to pry that rod out of his hands. In retrospect, I probably should have let him just use my rod but his felt like such a stiff fence-post that it was just crushing my sole using his....

I had the same experience with another buddy of mine that does quite a bit of flyfishing and has a descent setup. We were trying to cast to wary browns downstream of Dickson dam but they were WAY out in the current. He couldn't quite reach them so I told him to try the 4wt because I was just using my 5wt. He was immediately casting as far as I was, even with the smaller weight. He was easily casting 15-20 feet farther with the TFO.

So... rod, reel, and line are very important (as is warranty) but I'm not sure if the $$$ is worth anything more than a good TFO, IMHO.

Oh, I do have a TFO reel (the "Prism" I think?) on my 5wt and I would not recommend this reel. The extra $$$ for an Amundson or Pflueger would be money well spent.

Cheers.

nick0danger
03-01-2011, 09:29 AM
have not had a problem with warranty on any rod I have broken.

pipco
03-01-2011, 09:51 AM

I disagree. There is a distinct difference between a $50 rod and a $300 fly rod. After owing and using a couple of entry level rods including Martin, a few TFO's, a Sage and a Loomis I'm convinced there is a definite difference. Not having tried many other brand names out there I can't say which is the best but believe it will be personal preference.
The TFO's have a good warranty and you'll need it if you use the rod often. Out of three of these rods two have been replaced due to faulty guides. The Sage was a joy to use while I had it. The #5 Loomis was purchased for around $250, has been my go to rod for a couple of seasons
(100+ trips), it loads well, is a very castable rod and Canadian made.
I don't know if there is a big difference once you get above the $300 price range as I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money at this point.
Happy shopping!
stan

pikester
03-01-2011, 11:00 AM

I hope this comment doesn't come off as being ignorant or arrogant but if you're asking that question, then for you the answer is no! There is nothing wrong with a TFO or an entry type St. Croix etc. If you are not already a seasoned flycaster then a $700 plus rod will not make you one quicker. It's kinda like someone who needs an everyday getting around car asking if a BMW or Ferrari would make him/her a better driver than a Chevy or a Dodge would.

BTW, even most veteran flyrodders (myself included) usually have a TFO or two, or something similar in the garage or rod rack for a reason; they work just fine ;)

lifesaflyin
03-01-2011, 12:12 PM
I wrote a whole page about what was better. but decided I didnt want to confuse you. but summed up, it really comes down to this.

cheap rods are just that. cheap dont bother.

mid ranged price rods are great! TFO is a good starting rod.

expensive like sage and even higher are better, but put use vs price to choose one.

line.... this IS the most important part. buy a good line. anything under 60 bucks dont even bother looking at it. after you build up your skill than you can look for a better bargain.

skill. you need alot of skill to enjoy the more expensive rods to their full potential. stick with a mid range rod like TFO until you master it. then move up when you feel your skill exceeds the limits of the TFO.

when starting with a real cheapo rod you can bet you will not enjoy fly fishing as much. tangles, hard casts, limited accuracy and overall frustration with inconsistent casts.

for you, I recommend the TFO with a RIO WF line on it.

if you need to cheap out ,cheap out on the reel. I have only had maybe 6 fish on the reel in the last 2 years. all it does is serve for a line storage.

like posted above. seasoned fisherman still use them, so they cant be that bad.

Daceminnow
03-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I hope this comment doesn't come off as being ignorant or arrogant but if you're asking that question, then for you the answer is no! There is nothing wrong with a TFO or an entry type St. Croix etc. If you are not already a seasoned flycaster then a $700 plus rod will not make you one quicker. It's kinda like someone who needs an everyday getting around car asking if a BMW or Ferrari would make him/her a better driver than a Chevy or a Dodge would.

BTW, even most veteran flyrodders (myself included) usually have a TFO or two, or something similar in the garage or rod rack for a reason; they work just fine ;)

but back to the age old question...........won't a $700 plus rod increases your line speed, accuracy, distance and hook setting and be almost impervious to breakage and be the only rod a guy will ever need! :)

pikester
03-01-2011, 12:37 PM
but back to the age old question...........won't a $700 plus rod increases your line speed, accuracy, distance and hook setting and be almost impervious to breakage and be the only rod a guy will ever need! :)

Only if you have enough experience to recognize & appreciate those atributes! Trust me, I have owned about 15 flyrods including top of the line Sage, & Thomas & Thomas rods along with TFO rods; the expensive rods break just as easy (if not easier) than the more affordable ones ;) Of all the rod failures I've had, 99% have been broken tips due to user neglect lol, nothing to do with lack of quality :)

Having said all that I suspect your question was more tongue in cheek no? :P

Okotokian
03-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Don't depend on our opinions. Form your own. Take each rod, loaded with reel and line, out into the parking lot or behind the store and try them out... the expensive ones, the cheap ones, and those in the middle. If the store won't let you test like that take your business elsewhere. Lots will. I bought rods at both Country Pleasures and the now-deceased Russell's, and both let me go outside the store to cast.

Daceminnow
03-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Only if you have enough experience to recognize & appreciate those atributes! Trust me, I have owned about 15 flyrods including top of the line Sage, & Thomas & Thomas rods along with TFO rods; the expensive rods break just as easy (if not easier) than the more affordable ones ;) Of all the rod failures I've had, 99% have been broken tips due to user neglect lol, nothing to do with lack of quality :)

Having said all that I suspect your question was more tongue in cheek no? :P

yes sir. did you see the little clip i posted at the top of the thread? it was in relation to that. have come real close to slamming rods in the rear door of my truck more than once. gotta get into the river...........

pikester
03-01-2011, 12:53 PM
yes sir. did you see the little clip i posted at the top of the thread? it was in relation to that. have come real close to slamming rods in the rear door of my truck more than once. gotta get into the river...........

Haha, I hear ya! Not just in a hurry but also being lazy & using my 5wt to chuck 3/0 streamers with a 1/8oz of splitshot hehe :sign0161:

tyee33
03-01-2011, 01:04 PM
If your just starting out, cheap is Ok, I have 2 Sages, 2 G-Loomis, and a couple of top end Fenwicks, been fly fishing since late 80s and use them all.The 12 weight Loomis I use for Mahi Mahi in Mexico and Tarpin in the Baha.In AB, especially up here in the Cold Lake area,a medium of the road outfit will do as there is NO flyfishing except for the hatchery mud trout that we have.In B.C, I use my Sage for buck tailing Coho in the ocean, my 9 weight for steelhead and believe me, a high end system is the way to go, at least for me anyway.I bought cheap until I knew that flyfishing was for me, now, my rods have lasted over 15 years and still going, like buying a K car, compared to a Porche, you get what you pay for

Off in the Bushes
03-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Well that was a lot of advice to take in and I am leaning on getting a more expensive rod, thanks for all the advice on where to go and test some rods so I know what I am getting.
Unfortunately the funds for a toy of that caliber is a little lower then needed so it is going to be next years rod and this year I will just make due with what I have.
Thanks again for all the great advice and knowledge/ education on rod choices learned a little more today. :)

Heron
03-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Rods are like boats... you need lots of them. I have too many rods from size 3 to 11 and they each have their purpose. Kingfisher gave great advise. It depends what you are doing. Small creeks my medium action short 3wt. or bamboo 4wt. Medium rivers with wind my stiff 9ft 5wt with sharkskin. Bonefishing my high modulus 8wt. On and on. This appoach means I go medium price range and assemble many of my own from the likes of Dancraft, Hook and Hackle, St. Croix etc. A rod a year and my quiver filled up nicely. Suddenly I feel the need for a softer action strong 8wt for pike...where's the phone?

JEP
03-01-2011, 07:06 PM
OK I'm going to ask an embarrassing question, in the spirit of this post:

Is the "White River 270" from BassPro rod and reel combo considered "cheap"? It cost $269. I like the reel actually. The 3-piece rod, I'm not so sure...takes a heck of a lot of work to cast in the slightest breeze...or without breeze. 6wt, for fishing on the Bow.

I need an excuse to buy a better rod...I think I'm getting that from this post. :)

tacklerunner
03-01-2011, 07:15 PM
It was probably a decent rod to start with but it's not exactly... well you know. It's not that great. You will definitely notice a huge difference with a better rod. Lots of great info in this thread. Take your reel to a store, match it with some 6 wt brands mentioned above and test them. You will be impressed. Then you can determine what you like best and if you think spending $300, $500 or $700 will suit you best. If you can't justify it, don't go crazy on price. Nevertheless, you will be pleasantly surprised compared to your existing rod.

Another thing to consider, based on your budget, is getting a 5 wt with a new reel as a second rod. Reels aren't that expensive and as important as the rod and the line. You might find a 5 wt to be a little more fun to use and may even be able to cast further with the size of flies we use on the Bow.

MK2750
03-01-2011, 08:49 PM
OK I'm going to ask an embarrassing question, in the spirit of this post:

Is the "White River 270" from BassPro rod and reel combo considered "cheap"? It cost $269. I like the reel actually. The 3-piece rod, I'm not so sure...takes a heck of a lot of work to cast in the slightest breeze...or without breeze. 6wt, for fishing on the Bow.

I need an excuse to buy a better rod...I think I'm getting that from this post. :)

How many times have we seen the “what scope to buy” thread end up with top of the line Leupold/Zeiss and followed by “don’t cheap out”.

I often drool over these impressive optics, but do I really need $1000+ piece of glass to put a bullet in a White-tail? I get along great with a VX111 and a couple of old Baush and Lomb. Those that are out there really given’er should buy the best.

I use to play a lot of golf and nothing looked more ridiculous than a guy with $2000 clubs shooting a hundred and a half.

My son is a fishing fanatic and drags me out there everyday he can. Last year we spent at least two full days a week on the water and three or four evenings on the river. There were occasions when I knew I was under gunned, especially on the Red Deer River. The only reason I even noticed is because we were out there rain or shine. Often there were good spots I couldn’t fish because of the wind.

If I was out there every other weekend and only if the weather was nice I would never consider paying any more than a couple hundred on a rod.

Doc
03-01-2011, 09:07 PM

I can see that with certain cheaper lines if you're a good caster and you must be a very good caster nick0danger. But for the most part, the better the line, the better the cast. Wonder how far you could cast a good Rio line?

lifesaflyin
03-02-2011, 12:14 AM
just remember. from the above post. you dont need to cast out the entire line to catch fish. the majority of catches are within 20-40 feet. accuracy is the most important thing

tim3500
03-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Not sure how much a person needs to use a expensive rod to justify it you just need to justify it to yourself but when it comes to flyrods there is a difference between low end and hi end just by the way they load the line or just picking the line out of the water I am a firm belever buy the best you can afford and if possible get lifetime warrenty too bad my shoulder is screwed from throwing a fly done so much this fall and winter had to pullout the gear chucker to keep going

nick0danger
03-02-2011, 06:22 AM
I can see that with certain cheaper lines if you're a good caster and you must be a very good caster nick0danger. But for the most part, the better the line, the better the cast. Wonder how far you could cast a good Rio line?

same can't shoot backing but there r lots of guys that can. besides is it really practical? just like the guys nymphing with Spey rods how do you properly mead that to get a good drift?

Kingfisher
03-02-2011, 02:06 PM
I see the word "Warranty" has finally been mentioned.

I haven't had to replace any of my Sage rods recently. Are they backing up their warranty? I recall a period of time that Sage was getting tired of replacing all the blanks that were breaking.

Over the years I've sent a few rods in for replacement. It's reassuring to know you will get a replacement rod in a timely fashion when one breaks for unknown reasons. It makes the investment easier to make.

For brands, I sure like my Scott rods.

Yes, Sage has warranty as well as many other rod companies. Most companies charge a small fee $50 or so for the replacement part. So they can recover the cost of the actual replacement cost of the part from where ever they actually got the rod built. Yes it is a fact that a lot of companies today get their rods built in China, Korea and many countries around the world and they only cost a fraction of what the actual sticker price is. That's how they all make money.

Rob

Fishfinder
03-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Ha, was just about to search for rod suggestions as I posted a flyrod thread, guess I'll start here lol.

Don Andersen
03-02-2011, 05:53 PM
You pay cheap - you get cheap.

Most of the rod blanks cost about the same. Last I looked graphite was about $6/lb. so figure about $1.50 of materials.
The components is where the cost is + labor for construction.
Cheap rod mean cheap components. Reel seats can be reglued back on and so on.. Where you really suffer when buying junk is line guides. Some will wear out in weeks destroying the $50 fly line.
Top of the line rods use Hopkins and Holloway. Lower priced rods use Perfection with the bottom 1/3 using Pac Bay or worse yet a Chinese knock-off.

Rods >$500 usually have better components. The lower priced stuff is suspect. Watch your guides on the cheap crap and replace @ the first sign of grooving.

I've been @ this FF stuff for over 50 years and presently own about 40 or so fly rods. Been building the things for over 40 years.

Don

DuckBrat
03-02-2011, 07:48 PM
In response to an earlier post. Sage and Redington are now the same company.

chubbdarter
03-02-2011, 07:49 PM
In response to an earlier post. Sage and Redington are now the same company.

and i believe Shimano owns Loomis now

goldscud
03-02-2011, 08:43 PM
And now Mr Loomis has joined up with Temple Fork

Off in the Bushes
03-02-2011, 08:53 PM
So are blanks and making your own rod cheaper, or is the skill level and material used to do it on a high end blank worth buying a completed rod?

greylynx
03-02-2011, 08:53 PM

Sort of looks like an incestuous relationship between these rodmakers. Get the Banjo music out.

Orvis and Sage seem to keep to their own drum beat.

If I am wrong about about Orvis and Sage please correct me. Knowledge is good.:)

gl2
03-02-2011, 08:55 PM

did gary just make the two spinning rods for temple fork? not to knock temple fork cause they have there place but they could sure use some more quality control/parts on some of there stuff and gary could bring that.

i believe gary still sells blanks on his own called North Fork Composites.

32-40win
03-02-2011, 09:22 PM
I am one of those guys who abuses rods something fierce, so, the warranty is definitely worthwhile.
Have an Orvis 5 wt that I broke the tip on 4 times, it's about 15 yrs old, do it again, I'll be into a new rod most likely. Had a 7 wt version of the same rod, broke it above the handle fishing salt water in the kelp, it got upgraded to a new one.
Hit two Temple forks with big streamers, the 9 wt got fixed, the 10wt got replaced ( 75.00 total for both).
I have two Fly Logics, both 5wt, the short one (8ft6") is indestructable, dome some really nasty stuff to it and it's still ticking away.
All of those rods are under 500.00 for the newest versions nowadays. All have at least a 25 yr warranty.
I also have a VPS Sage that got destroyed in a bit of a tricky situation at a dock one day, needed an oar in a hurry. I don't have the heart to send it in.

nick0danger
03-02-2011, 09:44 PM
send it in dude you know one of biggest things that happen is "wives" suck the rod though a vacuum.