PDA

View Full Version : TC Encore Pro Hunter

ShawnM
03-01-2011, 10:10 AM
I've been watching this rifle for a bit now and I'm very interested in picking one up. It seems an excellent choice to combine a varmint rifle and a heavy caliber rifle that I wouldn't use very frequently like a .300 Win Mag.

I can't find much information other than glowing endorsements of the rifle, which is good. Can anyone tell me how the scope is mounted to this rifle? Would I need rings/base/scope for each caliber barrel I bought?

sheephunter
03-01-2011, 10:16 AM
The scope is mounted to the barrel so yes you need base, rings and scope for each barrel.

ShawnM
03-01-2011, 10:18 AM
What about the barrels, if I were to pick one up in the US would I have trouble bringing it across the border? I ask because the receiver is attached to the barrel but the action isn't. Not sure about the distinction legally...

Anyone shot one? How is it?

sheephunter
03-01-2011, 10:21 AM
What about the barrels, if I were to pick one up in the US would I have trouble bringing it across the border? I ask because the receiver is attached to the barrel but the action isn't. Not sure about the distinction legally...

Anyone shot one? How is it?

The Americans would frown upon it.

I own a couple, they shoot very well although I would say the stock design is a bit recoil heavy.

whitetailhntr
03-01-2011, 10:26 AM
I owned on and it shot very well. I have since sold it but if it peaks your interest give one a try. They work quite well.

ShawnM
03-01-2011, 10:31 AM
The Americans would frown upon it.

I own a couple, they shoot very well although I would say the stock design is a bit recoil heavy.

Why would the Americans frown on it if I were buying it there and taking it to Canada? Would there be paperwork on the Canadian side? If you buy a stock for example there's nothing to do but like I said with the receiver being part of the barrel there may be issues.

All I've seen from these rifles has been positive feedback except for one customer review complaining about it being a single shot. (What the hell was he expecting?)

whitetailhntr
03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
because It's illegal to import gun parts without an export permit....Hence why most america suppliers wont ship anything to canada. Not worth the expense or effort . Trying to import a 300.00 barrel to save a 100.00 bucks is a big risk to take if you get caught by homeland security on th US side....you would then be in a world of trouble.....
Tc barrels are not hard to find in the used market and can generally be had for a decent price.

sheephunter
03-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Why would the Americans frown on it if I were buying it there and taking it to Canada? Would there be paperwork on the Canadian side? If you buy a stock for example there's nothing to do but like I said with the receiver being part of the barrel there may be issues.

All I've seen from these rifles has been positive feedback except for one customer review complaining about it being a single shot. (What the hell was he expecting?)

Americans have some strict laws about exporting guns and gun parts. The Canadians could basically care less.

ShawnM
03-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Americans have some strict laws about exporting guns and gun parts. The Canadians could basically care less.

I didn't realize that, my impression of the firearms situation was that it is basically a free-for-all and didn't have much regulation. Good to know!

I went through the online ordering process at Cabelas.ca and they didn't request a PAL # at the time of check out so I'm assuming Canada doesn't consider it a complete firearm. Which is good because I dread the idea of having firearms registrations for each barrel...

For now I'm looking at the .22-250 with an additional .300Win Mag barrel or the reverse.

sheephunter
03-01-2011, 11:00 AM
I didn't realize that, my impression of the firearms situation was that it is basically a free-for-all and didn't have much regulation. Good to know!

I went through the online ordering process at Cabelas.ca and they didn't request a PAL # at the time of check out so I'm assuming Canada doesn't consider it a complete firearm. Which is good because I dread the idea of having firearms registrations for each barrel...

For now I'm looking at the .22-250 with an additional .300Win Mag barrel or the reverse.

Yup, you only have to register the receiver.

hjd
03-01-2011, 12:52 PM
I just bought a new 300win pro hunter off a guy that needed the money. I paid $400.00 for it. I have not fired it yet and still need to scope it. Do not want to hijack thread, but I have a few questions and if is ok with op please answer. what kind of scope would you guys recommend? and how is recoil with the flextech stock? thanks

bearbuster
03-01-2011, 08:11 PM
If you decide on a T/C, shop around the prices have came down abit. What was $949 can be found for $750. I picked up one in 25-06 before christmas. Driving me frickin crazy, haven't even :mad0100:shot it yet

sheephunter
03-01-2011, 08:21 PM
T/C is discontinuing the stainless finish on the Pro Hunters and is going to a Weather Shield finish. It's my understanding that it will reduce the cost by about $200. That's why you are seeing some dealers liquidating their current stock of stainless ProHunters at some darned good prices.

bearbuster
03-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Is the cost of the barrels down also?

sheephunter
03-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Is the cost of the barrels down also?
The Weather Shield ones will be but I haven't see many deals on the stainless ones lately.

needmoretoys
03-01-2011, 10:40 PM
P&D in Edmonton have good stock and prices. www.p-d-ent.com

ShawnM
03-02-2011, 07:27 AM
Blued is fine by me. Every rifle I've ever owned has been blued and it suits me just fine.

Glad to hear there's a big sale going on. Doesn't seem to have caught on at Cabelas.ca yet.

sheephunter
03-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Blued is fine by me. Every rifle I've ever owned has been blued and it suits me just fine.

Glad to hear there's a big sale going on. Doesn't seem to have caught on at Cabelas.ca yet.

It's not blued, it's a finish called Weather Sheild. It's a very durable finish actually.

ShawnM
03-02-2011, 10:36 AM
I meant their current line of rifles that they are blowing out. I'm not fussy about the finish on rifles myself. Takes no effort to wipe it down with an oily cloth before putting it away.

Looking forward to picking one up!

sheephunter
03-02-2011, 10:37 AM
I meant their current line of rifles that they are blowing out. I'm not fussy about the finish on rifles myself. Takes no effort to wipe it down with an oily cloth before putting it away.

Looking forward to picking one up!

The don't make a ProHunter in blued...only stainless and now WeatherShield.

ShawnM
03-02-2011, 11:10 AM
On a different note I just got off the phone with the good people in Moncton and according to them bringing the barrel up North would be just fine.

I still can't wrap my head around why/how the US would have an issue with me taking it to Canada. How would they know? We don't pass through an American checkpoint on the way up.

Shawn

sheephunter
03-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Just making you aware of the law.....it's up to you whether you want to follow it :)

whitetailhntr
03-02-2011, 08:06 PM
On a different note I just got off the phone with the good people in Moncton and according to them bringing the barrel up North would be just fine.

I still can't wrap my head around why/how the US would have an issue with me taking it to Canada. How would they know? We don't pass through an American checkpoint on the way up.

Shawn

There is nothing illegal about it on the canadian side. In the US you NEED an export permit to export gun parts. Your only concern is being stopped by US officials...If that happens you could be in a world of trouble. Like sheephunter said, we are only telling you what the law is...your choice if you wanna risk it to save a 100 bucks.

Traps
03-02-2011, 08:07 PM
If you phone Match Grade Machine out of Utah they'll have no problems sending you a barrel and you'll have no problems receiving it. Ed's contenders as well.

From another website:

It can be done fairly easily.

Go to for online export and import permit application:

https://excol-ceed.gc.ca/excol/Home.aspx

and for import/export information look at the links below:

Military and Technology

Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT)

I had Christensen Arms build me a rifle (Utah) last year and send it directly to me in south Surry/White Rock, BC. As long as the company you are buying from is willing to get a US export permit, you are good.

It took months of digging around to find out if and how to do it... but follow the top link and it only takes about 10 minutes to fill the form out, providing you have all the information. Within 2 weeks, you will receive your Canadian Import permit.

Rayzor
03-02-2011, 08:29 PM
I own two complete ProHunters. One in 22-250 and one in 25-06. The receiver is the only part that has to be registered. Shows how dumb our laws are; the only part of the combination that can be dangerous or traced (riflings) is not registered. I could own one receiver and 20 barrels and our lousy registry wouldn't have a clue what calibers I have! I could in fact fashion a home made receiver and still fire this thing. Enough of that. The triggers come from the factory quite heavy with too much creep. I sent my receiver back to T/C in the US to have the trigger worked. What a nightmare, several months later after close to 100 frantic e-mails (apparently they lost my receiver and no one knew a thing about it), I somehow got the e-mail address of some management types and they eventually sent me a new receiver. I got another T/C for my "lefty" son and sent that one to Manitoba (the Canadian repair facility) for the trigger work. As I started to reload I soon came to the conclusion that the chamber was out of round. I called the guy in Manitoba and he told me to send it to him. After several unanswered phone calls (and weeks), he finally told me that I should just by a full length sizer and forget about neck sizing. Not sure why he couldn't tell me that over the phone before sending it to him! We eventually agreed that I should get a replacement barrel. Several calls and a couple of months later, still no barrel. He finally lets me know that he was waiting for the barrel to come from the states. More calls, more weeks, no gun. Now he lost my address. Finally get the barrel...it's the same one I sent him...unbelievable. I gave up and bought a full length sizer. Not sure what kind of life I'm going to get from the brass but I'm done with T/C service people. They are nice rifle and the concept is great. I wish the empty casings would be ejected like the Ruger, it would speed up reloading. Just based on my experience I would rate the company a 1 our of 10 and the rifle an 7 out of 10. You can call me if you want any more info. 780-798-2188:angry3: