PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Bolt Cleaning Technique

committed
03-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Hi guys,

Bought a TC Venture .270 this fall and was loving it at the range. Was deer hunting in the cold weather (-30) this past deer season and had the bolt freeze up on me? I hadn't oiled the bolt other than what was originally done at the factory and can't remember getting any moisture inside. I tried again at the range once it warmed up and no problem, but as soon as it gets to freezing temps the hammer just doesn't seem to hit hard enough.

I called the TC Canada warranty rep and he reccomeded that I dip the bolt in some brake cleaner to git rid of any gunk/excess oil etc. and then re-lube.

What is your opinion? Will that hurt any of the mechanical pieces inside?

What suggestions would you have. Best gun oil after the fact?

Thanks in advance!

Honker1
03-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Nope won't hurt it at all, but if it were me i would get instruction on how to take the bolt completely apart and clean it that way. I can do Ruger's, Browning's and Remmington's but have no experience with Thompson, maybe in the owner's manual it will have instruction?

Robmcleod82
03-01-2011, 07:39 PM
when I clean a bolt I just use brake clean, if you dont dissasemble it make sure you spray a bunch in the firing pin. It is probably just the factory preservative oil gumming up in the cold. I have seen this more than once. I usually dont oil my bolts to prevent this problem, but a COUPLE drops of rem action oil wont hurt anything.

committed
03-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys - it looks to be cold for a little while longer here so I'll give it a try and get out to the range!