PDA

View Full Version : Lost My Job

Tundra Monkey
03-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Well not my real one but it is the one that hurts.

First they take our caribou away in the NWT and now since I'm not an Inuk I'm not permitted to guide in Nunavut.

I've felt like a second class citizen for quite awhile now.....this one just plain hurts :cry::cry::cry::cry::confused::confused::mad3::mad 3:

tm

reelhooker
03-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Heh, equality right. sorta like how the Bison tags are "equaliy" distributed.

Sorry to hear your luck but it is a chance to show others the effects of being discriminated against.

Tundra Monkey
03-01-2011, 05:43 PM
You got that right Sir:

"Only white guys allowed to guide in AB"......see how that flies in the face of our constitution (notice the small "c")

I feel sick.......this is brutal :mad3:

tm

Tundra Monkey
03-01-2011, 05:48 PM
sorta like how the Bison tags are "equaliy" distributed.

Don't get me going on bison tags. We have a lottery for them up here....no priority point system. I've been applying since I was 16 but missed a couple years at Univ but have never been drawn.....I'm 42 this year.

There is a native ENR officer here that was drawn for his 4th this year. I asked him why he applies for it and he said it was his "right". I agree it is but he gets tags from the band if he wants them. Now he gets to pay $50 for the tag and I'm suckin' wind again......figure that out :confused0024:

tm

Elko
03-01-2011, 06:25 PM
So to get this right, only card carrying natives allowed to guide in the, NWT, period.
Man that cuts a lot of outfitters selection of guides!

How can that fly, as all canadians have the right to equal employment across canada.

I remember when DFO would not accept job applications from out of region, that changed after if was going to be challenged in court.

Is this going to end up being challenged?

WCTHEMI
03-01-2011, 06:34 PM
That is terrible, if there are enough others like you that are out of a job, it would maybe be worth getting together and raising a stink about it.

AxeMan
03-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Dang, that is brutal, TM. This country has some serious "issues". Equality has left the building!

Tundra Monkey
03-01-2011, 06:50 PM
So to get this right, only card carrying natives allowed to guide in the, NWT, period.
Man that cuts a lot of outfitters selection of guides!

How can that fly, as all canadians have the right to equal employment across canada.

I remember when DFO would not accept job applications from out of region, that changed after if was going to be challenged in court.

Is this going to end up being challenged?

This is Nunavut....since they cancelled the hunts here in the NWT I've been guiding in Nunavut. Same company....just the other side of a line.

Not card carrying natives....no "indians" allowed......card carrying Inuits only.

I'm on the Board of Director's of the NWT Wildlife Federation and we have a meeting tonight. I'm sure we'll chat about it.

Not sure about challenging it but I've only known about this for a couple hours now......I'm at the point right now that I don't think I could string more than a couple non vulgar words together so I think I need some time to digest it.

Man do I have a lot of holidays to burn up now....been pounding OT as lieu time....think I've got 10 weeks now. My Wife will probably take this as good news :argue2:

tm

The Fisherman Guy
03-01-2011, 07:27 PM
That just stinks. Sorry to hear that TM.

I absolutely agree with you, our individual rights are completely out of balance when race is concerned.

walleyechaser
03-01-2011, 07:36 PM
sorry to hear that man. We seem to always get screwed over and still maintain to be called the racists..... Something ain't right

Piker
03-01-2011, 08:16 PM
I think this might be referred to as reverse discrimation. Piker

Wolverine Boy
03-01-2011, 10:55 PM
That's brutal.............but not surprising.

It's part of a bigger problem and is driven by both federal and provincial programs. I understand the intent behind it but whether it's university admission requirements, government hiring practices, or hunting allotments it's gone way too far.

It's too bad you guys can't challenge it. I only think you won't be able to because of the cost involved in fighting it, but it would be nice if you could.

Perhaps there are some 'related' outdoor organizations (that share your concerns) who would assist financially?

HunterDave
03-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Well, that really sucks TM. Instead of putting a bunch of guys out of work/business you'd think that they'd have some sort of grandfather clause for the guys that have been doing it for awhile. I'm sure that you are taking this hard, as would I, but imagine the guy that's been doing it for 25 years and counting on that income to get by? Absolutely brutal IMO. :(