PDA

View Full Version : New spike camp sleeping bag

mad mountain mike
03-01-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm kind of leaning towords the North Face Snowshoe bag. This bag is in under 4 pounds and good to minus 18 celsius. The price tag is around $200. witch fits my budget (I have already spent way to much on optics this year). Anybody have any experience with this bag or others in the same temp rating, weight and price range?

artie
03-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Climb into it and see how it fits. I bought the north face meow and find it is too tight and I do not get a good sleep.

GREENGUN
03-01-2011, 08:09 PM
I have a Marmot Trestles 15 - good to 15°F or -9°C. Synthetic, light, durable. They make the same design in higher temperature ratings (0°F/-15°C). I used mine this year winter camping at -14°C with the SeaToSummit XTREME liner and was very comfortable with just my base layer on. They are a little less expensive and are lighter. Easy to clean (just use upright washerto avoid twisting) and has staggered seams so there are less "coldspots" or areas where heat loss can take place. Try them out I think you will see they are a better value :sign0111:

GREENGUN
03-01-2011, 08:18 PM
http://marmot.com/products/trestles_0?p=117,71

0°F = -18°C sorry. I hate converting :sign0161:

mad mountain mike
03-01-2011, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=GREENGUN;851876]I have a Marmot Trestles 15 - good to 15°F or -9°C. Synthetic, light, durable.

I just googled them, looks like a pretty good bag, do you know who carries them in Calgary or Red Deer so a guy can have a closer look?

slipbobber
03-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Have a look at Valhalla Pure outfitters on the south side of Red Deer. They have a good selection of sleeping bags. They are in the same building as Kal Tire.

mad mountain mike
03-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Have a look at Valhalla Pure outfitters on the south side of Red Deer. They have a good selection of sleeping bags. They are in the same building as Kal Tire.

Thanks I'll do that, I'm going through Red Deer tomorrow.

Trekker
03-02-2011, 04:46 AM
I have had bad luck w NF bags. I have found they are grossly inaccurate for temp ratings. Check out Trailspace.com for reviews. I have a montbell #0 down super stretch (-18C). Its pretty accurate and a good light weight bag. Avail online, hunt for a good deal. MEC also has the better local deals for cold weather bags. TAIGA gear out of Vancouver also makes some great bags. Locally made, decent price, very durable. I have their coldweather Dryloft bag and it is a well made bag.

slipbobber
03-02-2011, 06:09 AM
Come to think of it there is another place that you should check out. Not sure of the name but its 3-4 doors down from Old Navy to the east.

GREENGUN
03-02-2011, 10:21 AM
In Calgary: Campers Village and atmosphere.

dennisb
03-02-2011, 02:16 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm kind of leaning towords the North Face Snowshoe bag. This bag is in under 4 pounds and good to minus 18 celsius. The price tag is around $200. witch fits my budget (I have already spent way to much on optics this year). Anybody have any experience with this bag or others in the same temp rating, weight and price range?

Ive got that bag...Absoultly garbage. I freeze my butt off even in the summer.
Be aware that sleeping bags come in 1 of 2 ratings. They are either rated for survival...or comfort. Most places that sell bags couldnt tell you...youll have to find out your self.

The Snowshoe bag you speak of is rated for -18c and its the survival rating...meaning you can survive at -18c for 4hrs before you freeze to death.

The Comfort rated bags are rated for 8hrs of comfort before you begin to get cold.

I know everybody is different...but as far as the Snowshoe bag your talking about...I'd stay away.

I bought the MEC Merlin rated at -12c for comfort last year and if you remember the first week of last years sheep season in the south with all the snow and even rain, it was a awesome bag and I highly recomend it.
DON"T cheap out on a bag...you never know when you'll be in a pickle and need it for survival.