PDA

View Full Version : First buck with the bow

Islander
11-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Well, seeing as this was my last day to hunt this season, I got out to my spot in the bow zone at first light, and began still-hunting( I'm far too impatient to sit in a stand or blind). After covering all the higher ground without olne deer sighting, I decided to head to the banks bordering the Bow River. As soon as I entered the thick trees, I spotted a mulie moving along the sidehill. With high hopes, I made my way through the trees, at about three steps per minute. After two hours of this, I came across the remains of a mid-size five-point that may have been a winterkill from last year (not a huge rack, but it has a drop tine which I thought was pretty cool). After strapping it to my pack, I continued on, and after less than twenty steps I spotted a white-faced buck staring at me from about seventy yds through the trees. I froze, while his doe made her way towards me, trying to figure me out. She soon got tired of this and began to move off with him in tow. I let out a bleat on my fawn distress call hoping to slow them down while I closed the distance, and lo and behold out pops a small fork. He is coming in to my call, and as they say, "a bird in hand is better than two in the bush". I decided to take the fork if he gave me the chance, rather than get greedy and go home empty-handed. Sure enough he came in to under twenty yrds and I let him have it tight behind the shoulder on a slightly quartering-to-me shot. Not the optimum angle, but at that range I was quite confident. Upon closer inspection, the broadhead clipped the heart and destroyed one lung and the liver. He ran about thirty yrds, stopped, looked in my direction, then keeled over. I decided to give him a minute, and went to get a better look at the big guy. He turned out to have three on one side and a giant fork on the other, with decent mass and about a 20" spread. I probably wouldn't have got a shot at him, so I was pleased with the choice that I made. On the way back to get my car though, I came across a thin 4x3 mulie all alone and clearly on a mission. After a quick stalk and a couple of bleats, I had him at thirty yrds, broadside. Damn that Murphy! I drew on him just for practice, and could have shot him five times over:rolleye2:. He was no record buck by any stretch, but was probably packing four times the bone that my little guy has. Oh well, what do you do. Thanks for reading, and good luck to everyone with the remainder of the season.
Islander
P.S. I am running into the same problem with my pics as I have every time I try to post. They exceed the size limit allowed. Sorry guys, I suck on the computer. If I figure it out, I will post the pics later.

Bushmaster
11-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Congrats on the buck !!

And use photobucket for your pics....it will downsize them for you or try this link......http://www.lan-lord.net/photo_resize.aspx.....its free and easy to use.

Cowboy Al
11-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Congrats on the Bow-Kill. Post the pics regardless of the bucks antler size any Bow shot buck is a good one. :D

BloodHound70
11-25-2007, 06:43 AM
Not sure if this will help but this is what I do when the pic is to big.

1. Take pic from camera and e-mail it to yourself. Your pc will ask if it can make the pic smaller to mail out.

2. Take pic you mailed yourself and drag it to your desktop. You should then be able to upload it on your post because it is smaller than the original.

Hope this helps.

BH

ULTRAlite
11-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Cograts on the first buck bow kill - The two that got passed up will be waiting for you next September :)