PDA

View Full Version : So I was at the gun shop...

Arn?Narn.
03-01-2011, 07:59 PM
So I was at the gun shop today. In havin a little chat while my truck was being asessed for damages. anyhow, in comes this fellow, and he's prett excited, late 20's, early 30's. He needs a sheep rifle\goat rifle\muley rifle.

Unless an actual discussion and ideas are being thrown around, i keep my mouth closed when another customer is making his decisions. so he leans on the counter beside me and I move away....

What do you have in a lighter type rifle he asks, and the reply, what are you looking for comes back. Well I need a sheep, goat mulie rifle.

O.k., here is anice light 7mm rem mag....

Nope, no 7mm's, not big enough...needs to be 30 cal.

Well let me see, not much here now, we do have a couple of 300 Wby magnums,...

Nope, none of that stuff, that's no good.

What else ya got...

Well here is a very nice 270 and this one here is a 270 wsm...

nope, no good, too small...I shot my buddies and it ws like a pea shooter.

(Now meanwhile there is lovely fluted .280 I have mauled a few times, that I think would be just lovely, but not everyone has the same taste)

How about this here, it's SF .280 Remington,...

Nope, nothing Remington,...they're garbage....

where are the good guns, the Kimbers....

don't have any, don't want any.

Let me see the browning...

What is this one, hmmm... 300 WSM..sounds about right....

Now I'm looking for a good quality scope, don't need to be high power as I'm only usuing it for goats, sheep and deer.

Here is a pretty good one for $400.

Yup looks about right.

What about Warne rings, their the only ones I'll use.

Yup got em for $60.

Alright then, I'll be back sometime in april or May and buy them,

Poof he was gone...

He had more enrgy in that 15 minutes then I have had all day. I suspect he may catch a sheep by the leg...lol

Robmcleod82
03-01-2011, 08:07 PM
A real expert by the sounds of things hahahaha great story.

Mountain Guy
03-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Seems about par for the course...
Nothing like having to hear out a couple of ''nozers'' discuss who's smarter while waiting for your # to be called so you can grab a box of bullets.

Nait Hadya
03-01-2011, 09:02 PM
waiting behind all the fondlers at the gun counter ain't no picnic. you know who you are...

Elkaholic6
03-01-2011, 09:09 PM
I want some details on that .280... :love: Price??

Grouse Assassin
03-01-2011, 09:11 PM
hey i never said i was going goat hunting jk lol

whitetailhntr
03-01-2011, 09:55 PM
I get a real kick out of some of the folks who frequent the gun counter. While at WSS in calgary ,waiting for some powder they had in the back , A fellow walks up to the gun counter. He was probably in his mid forties. He asks the guy behind the counter forsome 30 -06 "bullets". What grain? what brand? Something in the 150 to 180 grain....good for long range. So guy brings him a couple boxes, some federal , winchester and hornady. He picks up the hornady which were loaded with GMX bullets( can't recall the weight). " these should be good for long range, they got that ballistic tip..."The guy behind they counter then goes on to describe the bullet as an SST, cup core bullet, highly explosive blah,blah,blah. Between the the 2 of them they had no clue what they were looking at or for. So I ask " have you shot the GMX in your rifle? Are they accurate? Are you familiar with the design of the GMX?" This is Smack dab in the middle of hunting season and the guy is going hunting the next day.:angry3:

The ignorance of some people blows my mind sometimes. How do you own rifles, hunt with them yet have no idea what ammo works in your rifle, what type of bullet your shooting or what it's desingned for???Drives me nutz.

Alberta Bigbore
03-01-2011, 10:22 PM
thats funny !! lol

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
03-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Nice to hear that at least someone can get service at WSS

but perhaps their latest hire was the kid from Canadian Tire Sporting Goods Department.... He's Gotta know, Right?

coyote_man
03-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Was at WSS today and got super service as there were few customers.Was disappointed though as they didnt have half of what i was looking for.Can anyone recommened a mail order source.Cabelas CAnada didnt have much last time i tried them as well as Bass Pro was even worse.Thanks.

Mountain Guy
03-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Was at WSS today and got super service as there were few customers.Was disappointed though as they didnt have half of what i was looking for.Can anyone recommened a mail order source.Cabelas CAnada didnt have much last time i tried them as well as Bass Pro was even worse.Thanks.

Whatya looking for?
I like Cabela's US.... with the $$ @ 1.03 :)

Pathfinder76
03-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Whatya looking for?
I like Cabela's US.... with the $$ @ 1.03 :)

And 15% duty. It's a bargain I'll tell ya.

coyote_man
03-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Electric case prep centre,flash hole tool 20 ca, small rifle primer uniformer and a Ruger Hawkeye lh 204 for a friend and Varget powder.I dont get to large centres often and to find little of what I want becomes frustrating.

duffy4
03-02-2011, 08:50 AM
I get a real kick out of some of the folks who frequent the gun counter. While at WSS in calgary ,waiting for some powder they had in the back , A fellow walks up to the gun counter. He was probably in his mid forties. He asks the guy behind the counter forsome 30 -06 "bullets". What grain? what brand? Something in the 150 to 180 grain....good for long range. So guy brings him a couple boxes, some federal , winchester and hornady. He picks up the hornady which were loaded with GMX bullets( can't recall the weight). " these should be good for long range, they got that ballistic tip..."The guy behind they counter then goes on to describe the bullet as an SST, cup core bullet, highly explosive blah,blah,blah. Between the the 2 of them they had no clue what they were looking at or for. So I ask " have you shot the GMX in your rifle? Are they accurate? Are you familiar with the design of the GMX?" This is Smack dab in the middle of hunting season and the guy is going hunting the next day.:angry3:

The ignorance of some people blows my mind sometimes. How do you own rifles, hunt with them yet have no idea what ammo works in your rifle, what type of bullet your shooting or what it's desingned for???Drives me nutz.

You have to realize that back in "the old days" a rifle and ammo was just the tool a hunter used like a hammer and nail. You had a 30/06 and you used 150 grain bullets for deer and 180 grain for moose. The bullets were "bullets" and killed what you shot with them.

Now you build with an nail gun and you can use all sorts of "nail like things" at different power levels. And bullets come in all sorts of "designer" flavours.

Some guys still use a hammer and nails and they just want some "hunting ammo".

bwcweld
03-02-2011, 09:37 AM
You have to realize that back in "the old days" a rifle and ammo was just the tool a hunter used like a hammer and nail. You had a 30/06 and you used 150 grain bullets for deer and 180 grain for moose. The bullets were "bullets" and killed what you shot with them.

Now you build with an nail gun and you can use all sorts of "nail like things" at different power levels. And bullets come in all sorts of "designer" flavours.

Some guys still use a hammer and nails and they just want some "hunting ammo".

Ya if that were my Dad at the desk being asked those questions he'd say"whatever's cheapest in 180 gr" then later that day he'd be skinning a big mulie. Not all good hunters are firearm fanatics. Some of them rarely sight their guns in. But they all have harvested tons of animals and can shoot just as good or better than any gun fanatic. I myself am a bit of a gun nut and Dad never understood.

Zuludog
03-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Ya if that were my Dad at the desk being asked those questions he'd say"whatever's cheapest in 180 gr" then later that day he'd be skinning a big mulie. Not all good hunters are firearm fanatics. Some of them rarely sight their guns in. But they all have harvested tons of animals and can shoot just as good or better than any gun fanatic. I myself am a bit of a gun nut and Dad never understood.

Sounds like someone I know well. He's an outfitter and guide but NOT a gun nut. He shoots whatever is cheap usually Winchester Super X's and cleans his gun by "firing a round down the barrel", as he puts it. lol. He's shot tons of game and knows his way around in the bush or on a lake.

He just isn't interested in re-loading, breaking in barrels talking ballistics etc. If he or anyone can hit a pie plate at 100 yds. then the gun is sighted in well enough. Not everyone is like him but it doesn't mean he can't hunt or fish.

Huntnut
03-02-2011, 04:16 PM

No duty if it is manufactured in North America. Even with the duty it is cheaper........................................... ..........usually ;)

elkhunter11
03-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Not all good hunters are firearm fanatics. Some of them rarely sight their guns in. But they all have harvested tons of animals and can shoot just as good or better than any gun fanatic. I myself am a bit of a gun nut and Dad never understood.

My own experiences indicate, that while some hunters that aren't all that interested in guns are very successful, most of those hunters that don't even bother to sight in their guns are by no means great shots. Most of those hunters become successful by getting close to the animal where shooting skills are not a factor. As well, some of those hunters miss shots regularly, but they are successful because they get many opportunities to shoot at game animals.

bwcweld
03-02-2011, 05:03 PM
My own experiences indicate, that while some hunters that aren't all that interested in guns are very successful, most of those hunters that don't even bother to sight in their guns are by no means great shots. Most of those hunters become successful by getting close to the animal where shooting skills are not a factor. As well, some of those hunters miss shots regularly, but they are successful because they get many opportunities to shoot at game animals.

Well some cases go this way, but Dad COULD shoot and rarely got out of the truck to get one. Lots of 250yds+ shots made. JUst when I started thinkin he was a fluke, I married a girl and her dad was the same way. Chalked it up to RANCHERS CAN SHOOT.....lol

Arn?Narn.
03-02-2011, 05:12 PM
My dad was the same, but he wasn't so good at being a marksman as he was at knowing the guns he did shoot and the range.

Dad would take solid shots and nail them. Success rate at 99. something percent. But I would be hard pressed, other than sealing, to think of a time he would have taken a shot beyond 150 yrds.

Dad said to me, "you gotta walk up to it after you shoot it anyways, so I just just as soon walk up to it first and shoot it when I get there" LOL

Dad new a 30/30 inside out,.. .22 cal lever, 12 gauge semi rem for upland, 10 gauge double for ducks and a 22 hornet. Everything else, he was only aquainted with....

bwcweld
03-02-2011, 06:25 PM
My dad was the same, but he wasn't so good at being a marksman as he was at knowing the guns he did shoot and the range.

Dad would take solid shots and nail them. Success rate at 99. something percent. But I would be hard pressed, other than sealing, to think of a time he would have taken a shot beyond 150 yrds.

Dad said to me, "you gotta walk up to it after you shoot it anyways, so I just just as soon walk up to it first and shoot it when I get there" LOL

Dad new a 30/30 inside out,.. .22 cal lever, 12 gauge semi rem for upland, 10 gauge double for ducks and a 22 hornet. Everything else, he was only aquainted with....

Ya some of them old boys never had much use for multiple calibers. 30-06 would cut her for everything. And well they were likely right. I still have a fetish for other calibers so I understnd both sides.

Kale_M
03-03-2011, 08:54 AM
So what about the guy that works behind the counter that proceeds to give me a 20 minute speel about ethics and hunting after he asked how far I was expecting on shooting...Wish now I had of walked out and left my 1500$ rig I was buying on the counter....

catnthehat
03-03-2011, 09:06 AM
So what about the guy that works behind the counter that proceeds to give me a 20 minute speel about ethics and hunting after he asked how far I was expecting on shooting...Wish now I had of walked out and left my 1500$ rig I was buying on the counter....

I would have left it on the counter and spoke to the management on the way out the door myself, just because!
Cat

209x50
03-03-2011, 09:58 AM
I would have left it on the counter and spoke to the management on the way out the door myself, just because!
Cat
In a heartbeat!

So Nova *!%
03-04-2011, 03:57 PM

thats a (____)'s worth of wages that your forking over to buy something from that store I'm with Cat on this one, let management know why your taking your business and money elsewhere.

Mountain Guy
03-04-2011, 07:05 PM

Usually...even with duty if it applies, it's a matter of getting what you want more so than price.
I've shopped cabela's mail order when our dollar was worth .65.
no picking numbers.... a 5 minute phone call...and you got something coming to your door....which most likely wasn't available at any store up here.

Lefty-Canuck
03-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Best overheard gun counter conversation...

"I bought me a .300 Weatherby and I need some ammunition, but don't give me any of that .300 weatherby ammo it's too expensive. I prefer that .300 WINCHESTER???? ammo cause its cheaper...."

Never heard of a guy blowing himself up in the paper....I wonder what those cases looked like coming out.....

Lefty

gramps73
03-04-2011, 08:40 PM

"I bought me a .300 Weatherby and I need some ammunition, but don't give me any of that .300 weatherby ammo it's too expensive. I prefer that .300 WINCHESTER???? ammo cause its cheaper...."

Never heard of a guy blowing himself up in the paper....I wonder what those cases looked like coming out.....

Lefty

Worst part of the conversation is that he has a PAL, how does this happen ??

Coulee
03-04-2011, 08:54 PM
My 7mm Rem Mag, Model 700 that I bought in 1992 killed it's 30th big game animal in September 2010. One of these days that rifle is going to work out for me. But hey, what do I know.

gitrdun
03-04-2011, 09:54 PM

Lefty

Every once in a while, mother nature takes care of it's own....it's called culling of the herd :budo:

super7mag
03-05-2011, 08:36 AM
So was the converation a little like this ARN? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY

Arn?Narn.
03-05-2011, 01:01 PM
best video I have seen in a year or so !!!!

I AM CRYING LAUGHING AT MY KEYBOARD!!!!!!! I"M AM SICK WITH LAUGHTER...

Lefty-Canuck
03-05-2011, 08:08 PM
best video I have seen in a year or so !!!!

I AM CRYING LAUGHING AT MY KEYBOARD!!!!!!! I"M AM SICK WITH LAUGHTER...

X2 that is some good stuff right there....check the other related ones out...the 1000yrd shooter one is classic.

Lefty