PDA

View Full Version : chipping my truck

ksteed17
03-01-2011, 08:53 PM
is there a chip available for my '98 f-150? Im not looking for a big power boost just fuel economy. Any ideas?

Rockymtnx
03-01-2011, 09:32 PM
As for any older gas truck Hypertech or Superchips is probably one of you best bets.
www.hypertech.com
www.superchips.com

Do you already have a high flow air filter? ie: K&N or Airraid

ksteed17
03-01-2011, 09:43 PM
As for any older gas truck Hypertech or Superchips is probably one of you best bets.
www.hypertech.com
www.superchips.com

Do you already have a high flow air filter? ie: K&N or Airraid

ill check those out and no i dont. Might have try that too

Rockymtnx
03-01-2011, 10:21 PM
ill check those out and no i dont. Might have try that too
A high flow air filter and modification to the exhaust will get you further than a chip will as far as fuel economy goes. Oh yeah I will also be cheaper too.

ksteed17
03-01-2011, 10:23 PM
what kind of modifications? As far as vehicles go im pretty useless haha.

Elkaholic6
03-01-2011, 10:24 PM
what kindve of modifications? As far as vehicles go im pretty useless haha.

Cold air intake and a high flow cat.

2fast4uRuss
03-01-2011, 10:39 PM
I used to have a 97 gmc with the 5.7L. I ran a hypertech power programmer, airad air intake, helix throttle body spacer, granatelli mass airflow sensor, coated shorty headers, pulled the cats and had true dual exhaust with flowmaster mufflers. In the end the best results was from pulling the cats but I still would have been better off saving my cash for the gas pump the improvements from the mods would have taken years to pay for themselves.

NoKlu
03-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I think most of the claims of better mileage made by the chip companies are BS. I put one on my 08 Ranger and it sure woke the truck up but it is not getting any better mileage. I got a great deal from a member here on the forum but if I had to pay full price for one I would not get it again.

crawfy
03-02-2011, 08:45 AM
I think most of the claims of better mileage made by the chip companies are BS. I put one on my 08 Ranger and it sure woke the truck up but it is not getting any better mileage. I got a great deal from a member here on the forum but if I had to pay full price for one I would not get it again.

Chips imo do nothing for gas mileage on gas trucks for the price, however if you have a diesel and putting on the miles it will pay for its self easy. As someone eles said, better to get a cold air intake and upgraded exhaust and even a tonneau cover for the box.

dumoulin
03-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Chips imo do nothing for gas mileage on gas trucks for the price, however if you have a diesel and putting on the miles it will pay for its self easy. As someone eles said, better to get a cold air intake and upgraded exhaust and even a tonneau cover for the box.

I also agree; however, the money you'll spend on and air intake, an exhaust and a programmer will far exeed your cost savings. Been there done that. Plus, you'll likely end up wrecking something--one thing always lead to another!!! If you want to save fuel, buy a small car... The thing is, if you chip an engine for more power (to push the truck more easily down the hwy to save fuel) you need more air in and more air in means more air out...it's really not worth it unless you really need more power for pulling and even then, the truck isn't designed for that. You'll blow a rear end or the transmission. I have ran Superchips, Edge and Predator. All are good but, like I said it won't save you anything...even in the long run.

varmit9
03-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Cold air intake and a high flow cat.

there is no such thing as a high flow catalytic converter .!! any company that tells you other wise is lying. this info i received straight from a rep for one of the larger performance exhaust system manufacturer's in north America.

any fuel injected vehicle is programed to try and keep an air fuel ratio of
14 to 1 so the more air you try to put into the engine the more fuel it has to use to keep this ratio. so only by properly reprogramming the computer can you achieve better gas mileage.

for this i recommend http://www.westersgarage.com

Cal
03-02-2011, 08:39 PM
I've heard these work awesome on fords!

http://www.dawnsdesktop.com/wp-content/uploads/Wood-Chipper.jpg