PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Calgary, ammunition cost?

brianedward69
03-02-2011, 07:17 AM
I am moving to Calgary in the next 2 months and am an avid Sporting Clays shooter in the US. I found many rages in the Calgary Edmonton area for shooting which says a lot for the sporting community in Canada. What will I expect to pay for the cheapest target ammunition for shooting clays? Also are reloading components available? What organizations can I join to support firearms ownership in Canada and Sporting Clays.

crawfy
03-02-2011, 09:15 AM
I am moving to Calgary in the next 2 months and am an avid Sporting Clays shooter in the US. I found many rages in the Calgary Edmonton area for shooting which says a lot for the sporting community in Canada. What will I expect to pay for the cheapest target ammunition for shooting clays? Also are reloading components available? What organizations can I join to support firearms ownership in Canada and Sporting Clays.

I think I Paid about 74.00 for a case of light target AA's last year.

Okotokian
03-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Join these guys. http://www.aheia.com/ Good non-profit organization supporting hunter and shooter education in Alberta.

They also run the Calgary Firearms Center just a couple minutes south of Calgary. They have trap, skeet, and sporting clays ranges there. I think it's about $7 for non-members for a trap round of 25. Would be less for members.

ShawnM
03-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Canadian prices have traditionally been MUCH higher on anything related to firearms. But in recent years with the introduction of large sporting good retails like Bass pro and Cabelas prices have come down to earth.

Still much higher than the US but not ridiculously so.

oilngas
03-02-2011, 11:05 AM
about $75 for a flat of light AA. Components for shot shell prices, and inborn lazyness have dictate that I think "build your own light skeet shells" are somewhat cheaper, but i don't feel there is a big differance in cost.

Now I will say you can build your own ultralight (7/8 oz.) stuff at around $5 /25, and if im feel frisky, the dog and I will run batch thru the Posness press. Also they don't hurt the old shoulder that has had some trauma.

gopher
03-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Get involved with Aheia and the Alberta sporting clays association and join the Alberta trap shooters association. There is some fantastic shots in Alberta compotation is stiff Per number of trap shooters more stand on the 27 yard line then any were else. The sporting clays shooters are pretty serious as well if you were going to do one shoot a year I wood head up to GP and shoot the western Canadian challenge. There pretty much is a shoot every Weekend from spring to fall. Last shells I bought were AAs for around 79$ a flat and they had a 2$ a box rebate so I bought 15 flats can’t really say what the promotional shells are going for or if the rebate deal is still on. Components are readily available as well when you get here ask some shooters were they buy them I am not going to post names of the shooters that supply. Well come to Canada
I hope you enjoy are hunting and shooting resources see ya on the line

brianedward69
03-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the great info, I will see you guys on the range in June, my in country date is Jun 1st. Now I have to just get my gun information straight and get what I believe you cal a PAL for my 3 year stay.

pattycr125
03-09-2011, 03:06 PM
i bought a box of 100 federal field&target shells for 30 bucks a week or so ago

ward
03-10-2011, 03:13 PM
When you get settled head up to Silver Willow Sporting Clays at Carstairs. Once you become active in the sporting clay community you will find access to all you need. Alberta has some great clubs and a good Sporting association.