PDA

View Full Version : Hogs, Pigs and Goats?

duffy4
03-02-2011, 10:36 AM
I was sitting here with Wild TV on but on the PC. On the show a couple fellows were hunting deer in Texas with a cross-bow (they said it was recently made legal in Texas to use in the archery season!!!)

Then I hear them say that a "hog" has been spotted down the road and they are going after him. Now knowing that often hunters use the slang term "hog" to mean a big deer, I thought that was what they meant.

Turns out they were after a large wild boar. (a true hog)

Sometimes you hear a fellow talking about catching a real "pig" and they mean a big trout (or other fish)

A while back I saw a thread on here titled something like "Got my goat back from taxidermist." Of course I thought "is this about a trophy antelope?"

Turns out it really was a goat. And a really interesting "rug mount".

What is the big attraction of using such slang and calling things by confusing misnomers?

Loper
03-02-2011, 11:11 AM
I think the biggest attraction for many is knowing it gets a rise out of you.

220swifty
03-02-2011, 11:36 AM
If you drive a half ton you had better not call it a truck, you might mislead people to think you are talking about something with a hoist and gravel box.

sheephunter
03-02-2011, 11:44 AM
When I was a kid we called whitetails jumpers...I still smile when I hear that term. I love these colloquialisms for different critters. Nothing like seeing a big old hog bull elk in the quakies or a pig of a whitetail come out to a tank. Too many other things in life to worry about for me than the local names people have for critters and the places they live :)

I might even go try to catch some pickeral this weekend...;)

hal53
03-02-2011, 11:49 AM
When I was a kid we called whitetails jumpers...I still smile when I hear that term. I love these colloquialisms for different critters. Nothing like seeing a big old hog bull elk in the quakies or a pig of a whitetail come out to a tank. Too many other things in life to worry about for me than the local names people have for critters and the places they live :)

"Jumpers"....boy , I haven't heard that since I was kid in Sask., yeah, brings back memories!....

Rob Miskosky
03-02-2011, 12:27 PM
As a young boy in Saskatchewan I remember them being referred to as Jumpers as well but had forgot. Me and the family went back to Leroy, Sask to visit my 94-year-old grandmother last March and she used that term still... the memories that brings makes me smile.

Redfrog
03-02-2011, 12:34 PM
I was travelling with a realtor before my move to Alberta. We saw lots of mulies through the day. He called them "prairie lice'.

I've heard snow geese referred to as "Sky carp".

duffy4
03-02-2011, 12:44 PM
The first time I heard "jumpers" , a fellow said he had killed an elk a moose and two jumpers the season before. I said "Jumpers?" and he laughed and said two deer. I still don't know if he meant white-tails, mule deer or one of each.

Have you ever said to someone "thats not a pickerel, its a walleye" Or thats not a dolley varden, its a bull trout"?

Rockymtnx
03-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Can't say I have ever heard the term jumpers before. You guys that have must be WAY older than me. ;)

This past fall one of my hunting buddies refered to a Magpie as Saskatchewan Pheasant. He also called a Pheasant a Ditch Parrot.

A couple years ago in Manitoba I heard someone refer to sea gulls as American Snow Geese.

Just wait till you guys see the HAWG I'm going to shoot this year.... :D

iliketrout
03-02-2011, 01:58 PM
I'd think of a mulie as a jumper rather than a WT...but I've never heard that before. Maybe mulies are bouncers?

We have a friend with a nickname of "Flag" and I always think of WT's when she is around LOL.

I went home to NS in the summer to hear that a few lakes had been infested with "Pickeral". Got excited as I thought they meant walters...then I learned the truth and was quite dissapointed

Can't wait to catch a tank of a jack soon, all I've been getting is little snot rockets...

sheephunter
03-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Seems to be primarily a Saskatchewan/Manitoba term used by old guys ;)

Almer Fudd
03-02-2011, 02:04 PM

Jumpers was a pretty common term when i was a kid.
How about pick-ups being called "whoopies".
My grandfather always had a .22 in the rack of his Whoopy.

hal53
03-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Seems to be primarily a Saskatchewan/Manitoba term used by old guys ;)
true....WAITAMINIT!!!!!!! only old guys!!!!?????....LOL...

Rockymtnx
03-02-2011, 02:05 PM
I also forgot about the good old Alberta favorite, Swamp Donkeys.

hal53
03-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Sheesh!!!...get nervous when I post once and Rob posts right behind me, then I do a second one ...and a Mod posts right behind me!!!!....hahahaha

Sledhead71
03-02-2011, 04:26 PM

Seems the slang is just part of me.. I refer to whitetail as jumpers as they typically jump when they hear the string.. Mules, well donkey deer as they are so curious as a simple whistle will usually stop them in their track.. Good old swamp donkey, easy one there.. Speed goats, another classic !