PDA

View Full Version : HT Thermal Tip-Up Hole Cover W/ Line Tube

Photoplex
03-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I've been hunting around for this thing all winter and have had no luck in finding it. The WSS website said they had some, but the guys couldn't find them in the store.

Have you seen these in a store anywhere in/near Calgary?

If all else fails, I'm going to have to make one myself I guess.

http://www.icefish.com/catalog/include/image_resize.php?h=500&w=600&img=/product_images/THC-1.jpg

FishingFrenzy
03-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Can you just get a piece of foamboard from an office supply store? Cut it into a circle an cut a slot.

Maybe there is more too it than the picture but thats what i did for my tip-up

Photoplex
03-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Can you just get a piece of foamboard from an office supply store? Cut it into a circle an cut a slot.

Maybe there is more too it than the picture but thats what i did for my tip-up

The tube is the issue. I haven't seen one in person to see what's special about it, but it's designed to be used on Windlass tip ups. The action of the tip up means the dacron is constantly dipping in and out of the water. End result is that you end up with a big solid ice-cube stuck to your line.

Somehow, that tube stops it.

Also, I'm feeling far too lazy to go on a hunt round a bunch of stores for the parts I need - but it's looking like I don't have much choice!

FishingFrenzy
03-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Hmm.... If its just regular tubing i know you can get that at Rona or Home depot in the plumbing section..
Staples should be good for the foam.

Ive never seen anything like that in stores. (the picture)

WayneChristie
03-02-2011, 10:39 PM
cant help it, everytime I look at that pic I see pacman with a doobie. man I need to go fishing!!!!:bad_boys_20:

chubbdarter
03-02-2011, 10:51 PM
poop..i looked thru as many boxes in the garage as i could before the cold got to me.
Some where there is 4 of them....i'll try find them tomorrow. Never worked for me but if i find them they are yours to try.

i used to use the Krog hot ring, but i dont bother with that anymore either....i just put in a polar

Photoplex
03-02-2011, 11:32 PM
poop..i looked thru as many boxes in the garage as i could before the cold got to me.
Some where there is 4 of them....i'll try find them tomorrow. Never worked for me but if i find them they are yours to try.

i used to use the Krog hot ring, but i dont bother with that anymore either....i just put in a polar

You found they didn't help much when it got really cold? Hmmm, interesting. My plan B was to go pick up a polar. Maybe I'll just do that :)

Photoplex
03-02-2011, 11:33 PM
cant help it, everytime I look at that pic I see pacman with a doobie. man I need to go fishing!!!!:bad_boys_20:

Pass that doobie over here next :bad_boys_20:

chubbdarter
03-02-2011, 11:34 PM
You found they didn't help much when it got really cold? Hmmm, interesting. My plan B was to go pick up a polar. Maybe I'll just do that :)

the line would hang up in the tube

Geezle
03-03-2011, 06:46 AM

I thought the same thing! :lol:

Maybe I need to get out and try a new spot on Wab today :cool:

As far as I can tell those hole covers with the tube are only really useful with a Windlass tip-up, correct?

I know it's more of a stationary tip-up, but I have a Frabill thermal tip-up and it's been working out great for me. Pack some snow around the base and even when it's -25 out it'll keep the hole from icing up for a good couple hours before you have to scoop it out :)

Dust1n
03-03-2011, 07:10 AM
buy sme styrafoam it works just as good....

Photoplex
03-03-2011, 07:58 AM
I think I'm just going to buy a Polar tip up.

I just love the windlass a lot - really seems to produce better than the regular stationary tip ups, but as soon as the snow starts blowing, or coming down, or the temp drops too low - the hole freezes or snows in really easily :(

iliketrout
03-03-2011, 08:15 AM
I don't see how this is supposed to work. To me, it seems like the water would still come up the tube and eventually freeze off. And then if that happens you're in a worse position that when you started trying to thaw out a tube filled with ice. I know the contact point between the line and water would be below the insulation, but eventually it will freeze.

I built something similar with particle board that came with insulation already attached. Works well but it still can't prevent freezing on a cold day but it delays it noticeably compared to the other non-insulated holes/tip ups. I didn't use a tube though, I cut a narrow slot in the particle board. It's easy to move and scoope out the hole and unthaw the part of the line that is frozen in.

Big Schnizz
03-03-2011, 08:18 AM
If anyone is looking for a normal tip up hole cover, check out the ones made for the hook set tip up. They are $7 or $8 bucks, but well worth it. They will keep the hole from freezing over in minus 30 and if it's windy, they'll keep the holes from filling with snow. They have been dynamite.

Hunter Trav
03-03-2011, 09:18 AM
I think your supposed to put some alcohol, or cooking oil, or something to that effect inside the tube to keep it from freezing. The tube keeps the liquid from dispersing and in turn your line keeps on jigging. I've never used them, but I know I seen that somewhere as I was looking into them at one point...

Kokanee9
03-03-2011, 10:39 AM
I think your supposed to put some alcohol, or cooking oil, or something to that effect inside the tube to keep it from freezing. The tube keeps the liquid from dispersing and in turn your line keeps on jigging. I've never used them, but I know I seen that somewhere as I was looking into them at one point...

HT, I think you may have hit the nail there. I was going down through the posts and was thinking of the hard pink styro foam and some of the plastic tubing that is used for a waterline to the fridge. straighten out the line with the heat from a hair dryer and just drill a nice clean hole through the foam for a nice snug fit. Have the tube flush or slightly countersunk from the top and have it about 9-12 inches into the water at the bottom of the foam. The tricky part might be getting the cooking oil into the tubing without making a mess. Maybe someone has a suggestion for that? I was thinking the cooking oil would stay in the tube until it was lifted up, and the alcohol would eventually mix and dilute with the water, making it useless after a while.