PDA

View Full Version : Good Invisible Dog Fence?

JRuel
03-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Hi all!

I didn't want to hijack the good neighbor thread, but really like the idea of this fence that was suggested. My Place is ten acres, and I have two dogs. I'd really like to fence in the whole works.

Is this possible/ feasible, and if so, how is it done, and can anyone recommend any good products?

Thanks!

The knowledge of the members on this forum amazes me:)

dcutter
03-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Hey JR. I am NOT a fan of the buried wire fences. I had a Britanny spaniel in Cold Lake when I moved into a new home. While I was putting funds together to put up a fence I installed the wire fence as a stop gap to keep him in the yard. I had him tied up on a clothes line kind of run, and he managed to get free from it. Took a running start and got through the force field the wire fence puts out. I imagine he got a shock as he went through it, but it didn't slow him down much. He ended up getting hit on the road. I won't use one again.

Private Ear
03-03-2011, 12:50 PM
I had the invisible fence. I had the same experience that the dogs would bolt through the fence if the temptation on the other side was strong enough. Then they would not come back into the yard.

I won't trust them again!

JRuel
03-03-2011, 01:05 PM
GREAT points! Thanks guys! I had wondered that as well...

Any suggestions? I've seen them both jump a foour foot cattle fence at full run. Looked really cool, but makes me think I need something....:sign0161:

nicemustang
03-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Also cruel IMO.

Sledhead71
03-03-2011, 01:38 PM
We use an E-Collar for our GSP, live in the country and basically trained him to stay in the five acre home parcel... It took a couple of weeks, but he learned and does not stray... What we did was walked the line so to say with him, corrected him verbally for the first couple of days... Proceeding the verbal, we used light stimulation to enforce the bounderies of the parcel and kept it up CONSISTANTLY for the following week.. He is an angle now and won't leave the parcel unless we are with him...

Another thing we did when we first got him was had an area of pea gravel for him to use, again constistancy is the trick, we always took him out and walked him to the area and made him use the gravel for his business... Couple weeks later, he just did it on his own... Funny now though, we will be fixing fence or general farm work and all of a sudden he runs for the house and uses his area then comes back and joins us in what we are doing...

unclebuck
03-03-2011, 01:45 PM
If you are burying an electric fence and put the collar on the dog, you might run into a problem. The neighbour's dogs in all probability do not have collars, and they will come into your yard and whip up your dog. Your dog, if his electronic collar is working will not leave the yard and have a chance for his own retribution.

project240
03-03-2011, 05:08 PM
We have a Petsafe collar for our dog and it works extremely well for our house, but maybe not so much for you...

It is a wireless system with a central unit and the collar has about a 250ft range... keeps our pup out of trouble, but gives him lots of room to run.

demolition101
03-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Nothing wrong with buried fences, just need to train the dog that he gets a shock when he gets near it. Trained well they will not run through it

Okotokian
03-03-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm not too familiar with these fences, but I assume the dog has to wear some sort of an e-collar all the time in order for a shock to be delivered. I use an e-collar with my mutt but I'm not sure I'd want him to have to put up with those two electrodes stuck in his neck 24/7.

If that's not how they work that would be good to know.

Redfrog
03-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Put it on when he is out and about. Almost any collar can rub a dog's neck raw, but get that e-collar wet and it will take the hair off faster.