PDA

View Full Version : Retriever training

demolition101
03-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Anyone interested in helping with retriever training? I'll be training my dog for water and wanna know if anyone else from the edmonton area is interested in training with me.

Redfrog
03-03-2011, 06:07 PM
I'd be interested, but you'd have to move closer. I have lots of training ground and water, but I can't haul it to Edmonton.:)

demolition101
03-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Have u trained before? Do u have a dog ur training now?

Redfrog
03-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Yep. Have trained for years. My dogs, as well as training for others. Hunting and field trialling. I haven't field trialled for years, but will get back into it now that kids are gone and I've got lots of time.

I have a pup that I've started. He's 4 1/2 mos. He'll be hunting by the fall. I plan to have him do some puppy trials this year and start competing next year in the junior. I also have a high wired yellow that is 'in training' He's a hard charger and
will be hunting hard this fall.

I may also take in one or two this spring for training.

Between the dogs and horses and hunting and fishing and grand kids I think I could get used to being retired. :)

Training groups are great ways for new and old dog handlers to get some training in. Young handlers can learn from the 'old guys' and old guys benefit because 'gunners' are always in short supply.

Whether you are "on the line" running your dog or on a bucket throwing bumpers, you can learn different techniques from different perspectives.

I hope you get some people out. Having a trained dog next fall is a huge payoff.

SBE2
03-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Join a club, hunt test would likely be your best bet if your dog has not started training and you are new to this. Try the Alberta Clipper Hunting Retriever Association, there are people there that are very helpfull. Let me know if you need a number. good luck.

demolition101
03-05-2011, 03:43 PM
That looks like a good idea SEB2. Wondering if anyone knows of someone a little closer to the north end of Eddy that would be willing. I deffinately agree with you Redfrog about the old handing off to the new and its what I'm looking for. Any help in this matter from anyone is greatly appreciated. Thanks

SBE2
03-05-2011, 04:40 PM
That club has members within an hour or more of Edmonton in every direction, there will be someone close to you I am sure. Phone someone from the site, let me know if you need a number, and see if they are having a picnic trial this year. Good way to get out and see what it is about, meet people to train with and have some fun at the same time. Sort of a get together for old and new members to start the season. If you join the club you will get a members list with adresses of each member and contact info, then you will be able to see who is close to you and see if they would like to get together to assist you with some training. Best way to learn, and I know there are guys on there that train almost every day once the snow is gone. Good luck.