PDA

View Full Version : Lost lemon mine?

gopher
03-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Lost lemon mine. With all the talk of gold prices and the gold rush Alaska show anybody ever look for it? Also on kootenay lake there is supposed to be a gold nugget that was large enough that it caused a small boat to sink.

turbo mulcher
03-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I'll be looking for it this summer down on the Oldman etc. :bad_boys_20:

gopher
03-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Wonder if a Seismic truck could find it ?

u_cant_rope_the_wind
03-03-2011, 09:34 PM
I believe I heard on the news or some thing like that about 15 years ago the lost lemon mine had been found, I cant remember exactly when the storey hit the head lines

Albertadiver
03-03-2011, 10:15 PM
http://archives.cbc.ca/science_technology/unexplained/clips/9708/

http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/Alberta/lost_lemon_mine.htm

The claim it was found was back in '89

albertadeer
03-03-2011, 10:31 PM
I have been doing a bunch of research on gold around my parts. In my readings im pretty sure i read it was found some time ago. But i have also "dug" up a bunch of interesting facts about gold around here....I cant wait tell the summer to do some panning, then hopefully some sluicing!!!:sHa_shakeshout: GOLD RUSH ALBERTA!!!

caver77
03-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Yup back in '89 . DON'T get bit by the bug you'll never be the same. Everybody reading this thread, shut your computer off, or throw it out the window,whatever it takes to shut is off NOW, and run for your lives, whatever you do, don't start looking for gold. You'll start to find gold around Cranbrook/Kootenays and that's where the gold that Blackjack and his partner had likely came from. Back then and at the moment there still is no help for those who look for gold. If your still reading this there is no hope now, it's too late.

BrainTan
03-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Well there is a volcanic deposit in Coleman, in fact the highway blasts right through it. And its a great place to collect garnet, but gold is not as abundant there as many had hoped. The geology of the area just doesn't support much for surface mining gold. But there are some border ridges that hold promise for their respective drainages

MrDave
03-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Yup. Hooked on gold panning myself. I haven't made it rich yet but always got my pan with me. Always find flour gold in a couple spots around Red Deer. Good luck.

1shotwade
03-05-2011, 02:42 PM
there are lot,s of mines in the yukon that contain a million $$ of gold!!you can get the rights for next to nothing, Only problem being for every ounce of gold you extract it will cost you $5000 to get it out!! Smaller deposits just are not feasible to make any money at it!!:angry3:

gitrdun
03-05-2011, 04:54 PM
What about that train that went down in the Crowsnest Lakes at the turn of the century. Carrying the payroll for the men that worked the mines sometime before the Frank Landslide? if my history knowledge serves me right. The lost lemon mine is truly something that occupied my mind as a young man when I travelled that country on horseback. I did run across some old settler's cabin's and found skateblades, old manuals dating back to 1911 and relating to stuff such as what to do in case of air raids and how to blow up tree stumps, etc. I ran into old saw blades, horse gear, etc. A lot of history in the Crowsnest.

Grizzly Adams
03-05-2011, 07:23 PM
In Naida Hallet's book she talks about a galena deposit in the upper Oldman area, that was later obliterated by a landslide. Geology that produces lead could also carry gold. Would be my idea of where to start looking.

Grizz

Taco
03-05-2011, 08:17 PM
There is an abandoned galena mine on a ridge on Gass above and south of the head of Oyster Ck. Mine was developed and abandoned in the 40's and the camp was still there in the early 70's. The mine shaft was still accessible the last time I was there about 10 yrs ago.

Jimboy
03-06-2011, 01:41 AM
What about that train that went down in the Crowsnest Lakes at the turn of the century. Carrying the payroll for the men that worked the mines sometime before the Frank Landslide? if my history knowledge serves me right. The lost lemon mine is truly something that occupied my mind as a young man when I travelled that country on horseback. I did run across some old settler's cabin's and found skateblades, old manuals dating back to 1911 and relating to stuff such as what to do in case of air raids and how to blow up tree stumps, etc. I ran into old saw blades, horse gear, etc. A lot of history in the Crowsnest.

lots of ghosts too

So Nova *!%
03-06-2011, 06:40 AM
I forced myself to memorize this poem as a kid I loved it so much, I was driven to gold by a neighbor that panned all the time had lots of pumps and sluice's never saw him with more than a little perfume sample bottle of gold though anyways thought some might like the poem

http://www.gazetteofthearts.com/service.htm

deerhunter
03-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Have all the equpment etc so I am finally going to give it a try on the NS river this summer. We have a lot of bends in the river here. Apparently gold likes to get trapped in these areas.:)

tuecer
06-09-2011, 04:18 PM
I believe I heard on the news or some thing like that about 15 years ago the lost lemon mine had been found, I cant remember exactly when the storey hit the head lines

hi all.i have been reading and hearing about the lost lemon for quite a while and i have never heard that it was found. there was info saying that gold was found but not enough to make it worth while,and not the lost lemon mine which was said by blackjack and his partner that they were onto something huge(where we might not never know)but i still believe the mine is out there and like the age old saying goes.....gold is were you find it!

Big Red 250
06-09-2011, 05:34 PM
canadian gold prospectors forum has a lot of info on Alberta gold, also their are alot of members from Alberta on it.

deepfried
06-09-2011, 06:13 PM
haha this is a good thread , my buddy at work was JUST talking about this story this afternoon and had me intrigued !

cowboyhunter
06-09-2011, 06:42 PM
I'll be looking for it this summer down on the Oldman etc. :bad_boys_20:

No gold in the Oldman river drainage, sorry!:thinking-006:

Robotfish
06-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Not much gold but lots of ammolite.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-09-2011, 09:41 PM
The spot where we fish sometimes see people panning for gold as its inbetween to major bends in the river .

Cattle Dog
06-10-2011, 12:09 AM
cowboyhunter is correct; there is no gold on oldman drainage; it is that simple.

But albertadiver's google map link made me laugh; it showed a red "X" just north of coleman; good joke;

What i heard years ago was that it more likely was within a day or two of horse travel from fort steel, bc.

Fisherpeak
06-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Lost lemon mine. With all the talk of gold prices and the gold rush Alaska show anybody ever look for it? Also on kootenay lake there is supposed to be a gold nugget that was large enough that it caused a small boat to sink.

It was actually a 1000 pound+ chunk of quartz shot full of gold that they thought they could roll off the hill into a 25 foot boat.It punched a hole right through and settled into 600 feet of water.Good luck finding it.

Shaggy
06-10-2011, 11:21 AM
This one is mine, but you can have it.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g317/Goldbkle/Big_Lemon.jpg

Big Daddy Badger
07-25-2011, 12:23 AM
You can't make money mining lemons. The darn things grow on trees and it drives down the value.

Seriously...people have never stopped looking for that mine.
I know one guy whose grandfather claimed he found it...but was never able to quite find it again...lol

Shaplers16@yahoo.com
12-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Hi.if your looking for gold packet miner or you got a mine claimes to be open up i got 18years experience in gold mining. im not scared going inn to small or big tunnel's ....

artie
12-20-2013, 03:45 PM
I know a guy who knows a guy who made his living getting gold off of a tributary of the old man during the dirty thirties. he swears it is gospel. If it wasn't for all the grizzlies protecting the area I would go get it.

norwestalta
12-20-2013, 03:51 PM
I've been thinking seriously about a placer claim in B.C.. I'm just unsure where. The ones I've been looking at are fairly reasonable to buy(I've wasted more money on less desirable things, ex-wife mostly).
Lots of info at. www.greywolfhighbankers.com

Grizzly Adams
12-20-2013, 03:52 PM
I know a guy who knows a guy who made his living getting gold off of a tributary of the old man during the dirty thirties. he swears it is gospel. If it wasn't for all the grizzlies protecting the area I would go get it.

Think there was a bit of that in Edmonton and by the Tolman bridge as well. Not much of a Living though. :lol:

Grizz

Piker
12-20-2013, 04:13 PM
There is the old story of a troop of Mounties or army many years ago transporting gold near the forks north of Grassy Lake. They were attacked by Indians and buried the gold and then made a run for it. I do not know if any survived but apparently no one ever made it back to the site. Could be a myth or anything. Piker

artie
12-20-2013, 04:14 PM
When I was a kid in the fifties I would sneak into the pool hall and listen to all the old timers talk about the lost lemon. There was a guy who lived in Coleman who was a contractor that spent his whole life looking for the mine. At various times he had employees helping him look. There is a valley on the north racehorse that the locals call Mike Checks (sp) cabin. That was one area where he spent years looking for gold. I used to listen to a guy called Vince Janestack (sp) who swore up and down he saw a native with a large chunck of gold in the Crowsnest Mountain area. Vince and his brother Steve ran a livery stable in the early days. They were one of the first ones after Edward Whympers Swiss guides to climb Crowsnest mountain in the thirties.

bobly
12-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Mike Czech and Vince Janostak from Coleman spent years of exploration time north of Coleman, galena deposits and elsewhere, looking for the Lost Lemon. Vince found excellent coal deposits in Vicary Creek which he sold to Coleman Collieries. This company ran 2 successive u/g coal mines there for years. Both those guys invested a lot of grubstake looking for that mine. At least Vince found some mineral to make him wealthy.

I have panned most creeks in the Pass and have not found a trace of gold.
It is mostly sedimentary rock in the Pass. West Canadian Collieries of Blairmore dug adits into the galena deposit in the NW branch of the Oldman. It was assayed and found to be too small a deposit to be mined profitably.The nearest real gold I found was on Wildhorse Creek and Lumberton, both very close to Cranbrook. It is in that area that Lemon and his partner must have founded the mine.

artie
12-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Mike Czech and Vince Janostak from Coleman spent years of exploration time north of Coleman, galena deposits and elsewhere, looking for the Lost Lemon. Vince found excellent coal deposits in Vicary Creek which he sold to Coleman Collieries. This company ran 2 successive u/g coal mines there for years. Both those guys invested a lot of grubstake looking for that mine. At least Vince found some mineral to make him wealthy.

I have panned most creeks in the Pass and have not found a trace of gold.
It is mostly sedimentary rock in the Pass. West Canadian Collieries of Blairmore dug adits into the galena deposit in the NW branch of the Oldman. It was assayed and found to be too small a deposit to be mined profitably.The nearest real gold I found was on Wildhorse Creek and Lumberton, both very close to Cranbrook. It is in that area that Lemon and his partner must have founded the mine.

When I was in grade nine in Coleman I wasn't doing so well in math. My buddy also was not doing so well so his dad hooked us up with Vince Janostack and that's who taught us about algerbra. Who would have thought that old Vince was a great math guy. Plus we had the benefit of listening to all his old prospecting stories. For us he was a good role model.

duckchaser
12-20-2013, 08:43 PM

LOST---LEMON I had 2 buddies that invested$$ LOST-------------LEMON

densa44
12-20-2013, 10:23 PM
The black sand in the Nahanni has gold. It will be hard to get as most of it is a park.

When you pick up a hand full of the sand bar you can see the gold in your hands.

Good luck

cgs01
12-20-2013, 10:58 PM
In Alberta, searching/panning for gold is a hobby. Don't expect to find your fortune. Hubby's hobby is panning, mine is fishing. He likes to tease me that he gets to take all his home, when I have to release some of mine.

Anything that gets you outdoors that you enjoy is good for you. If you want to learn about panning and the history of the gold in the NSR, contact my hubby at albertagold@shaw.ca.

cgs

snidetripod
12-27-2015, 01:00 PM
I have found flour on one of the bends in Terwillegar off leash area. One of our neighbors in the 80s used to pan in Alberta. He made enough every summer to buy his kids Christmas presents for eighteen years. I can't remember where he used to go, but he would pack up his camper and would be gone from June until August.

raab
12-27-2015, 01:59 PM
Fine to look for the Lost Lemon mine as long as you don't believe in curses. I won't look for it based on that. I guess a few guys who gone looking for it have died because they got to close. At least that's how the legend goes...

Big Red 250
12-27-2015, 03:59 PM
Prospector's Point anyone. Bedrock Supply in Edmonton sells sells all the goodies.

Grizzly Adams
12-27-2015, 09:02 PM
Think the odds are better, buying a Lotto Max ticket. :lol:

Grizz

drhu22
12-28-2015, 05:59 AM

Soo, the grizzly bears are protecting it eh? Are they part of the curse?

waterninja
12-28-2015, 10:01 AM
I see people panning and slucing for gold quite often on the NSR.

Big Grey Wolf
12-28-2015, 10:02 AM
I have done fair amount of prospecting in BC/NWT and even look at Crowsnest area. I took some geology when at U of A. The rock in Crowsnest is not right for a gold deposit, great if you are looking for coal. Go to the Yukon if you want gold to BC if you want silver. Cominco was not in Trail BC for their health.

bat119
12-28-2015, 10:07 AM
Did Lemon and Blackjack actually find gold in Alberta. Geologists will tell you that the chances of the story being true are remote. Gold deposits are generally associated with volcanic activity, which is why BC is filled with gold while Alberta is not. Did Lemon and Blackfoot steal the gold from other miners? Did they have any gold at all?

Lemon went insane after he killed his partner with an axe, its unlikely there was ever any gold.

http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/alberta/lost-lemon-mine/

philty
12-28-2015, 10:10 AM
volcanos produce gold google that and you come up sw of calgary

philty
12-28-2015, 10:14 AM
google volcano your search comes up west of turner valley on the sheep river lots of black sand have not checked since the flood

Red Bullets
12-28-2015, 10:26 AM
Did Lemon and Blackjack actually find gold in Alberta. Geologists will tell you that the chances of the story being true are remote. Gold deposits are generally associated with volcanic activity, which is why BC is filled with gold while Alberta is not. Did Lemon and Blackfoot steal the gold from other miners? Did they have any gold at all?

Lemon went insane after he killed his partner with an axe, its unlikely there was ever any gold.

http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/alberta/lost-lemon-mine/

Alberta's gold is yet to be determined. Alberta has never been fully properly prospected. Presently Alberta produces about 70 kg. (2250 ounces) of gold per year. I know it's not like BC's production but there is gold to be had in Alberta.

This old article is really interesting to read. If you go to page 32 there is an article talking about the dredging companies that were here at the turn of the 20th century. They were making wages.

http://www.ourroots.ca/e/page.aspx?id=328559

philty
12-28-2015, 10:29 AM
heard they are finding gold at Morley on the res. since the flood

philty
12-28-2015, 10:50 AM
nsr?

philty
12-28-2015, 10:52 AM
north sask river

carpediem4570
12-30-2015, 12:19 AM
This is a great post. I needed a good chuckle.

As of yet, the lemon mine has not been found.

One month ago, my friend was approached by a group who, using new ground penetrating radar, wanted to go looking for the mine. They invited my friend along to consult. My friend of course, turned the offer down.

My friend, Ron Stewart, is the author of the book, "The Lost Lemon Mine". He is also a geologist and has been involved in the mining industry for decades.

In his book, based on factual evidence, Ron offers several variations on the theory of the lost lemon mine and whether it actually exists. The one theory that seems most likely is, wait for it, blackjack and lemon were nothing more than thieves and murderers who were killing miners coming from the gold fields, for their gold.

The book is a good, easy read. I just finished my "signed copy:p" two weeks ago and it was quite illuminating.

And to those who believe in the lost lemon mine, good luck, good hunting and, come back safe :sHa_shakeshout:.

cheers,
Carpediem4570

Denadii Cho
02-25-2017, 11:46 AM

Yup I use it to hold all my cash from blowing away..LOL
I suspect though that its not a mine per se, but rather it was a cache. Black Jacks story was too variable...

1 eye
02-25-2017, 12:03 PM
Lost Lemon mine is still lost. Have found flour gold in the NSR, also in the Red Deer river, small but still there. Pan on the inside banks on the corners of the rivers seems to be the best to find some.

CNP
02-25-2017, 12:57 PM
Apparently much easier to resurrect this post than the lost lemon mine.