PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining your rifle

Skybuster
03-03-2011, 08:53 PM
I recently invested in a Sako 85 Bavarian. A beautiful gun with a wood stock and a blued barrel. I thank any of you that provided input in my prior thread on which way to go.

I am presently researching what the best practice is for caring for this gun. Lightly oiling the stock after a thorough cleaning will be the first step. But I have two other questions:

First: is there a need to do anything special to "break the gun in"? I have seen some comments in here about breaking in a gun but when I asked the dealer he told me that a barrel like the one produced for the Sako didn't need breaking in. A custom barrel might but not one of the Sako stamped barrels.

Second: What is the best practice for caring for the wood stock. My old gun was a Remington 870 with a high gloss varnish. I just wiped it down to clean it and then rubbed it with a very slightly oiled rag before putting it away for the season. This bavarian stock is not varnished with the same high gloss. It is more of a satin finish. What is best to maintain it? Are there any recommended oils to use? Or just use the old gun oil?

catnthehat
03-03-2011, 09:00 PM
I recently invested in a Sako 85 Bavarian. A beautiful gun with a wood stock and a blued barrel. I thank any of you that provided input in my prior thread on which way to go.

I am presently researching what the best practice is for caring for this gun. Lightly oiling the stock after a thorough cleaning will be the first step. But I have two other questions:

First: is there a need to do anything special to "break the gun in"? I have seen some comments in here about breaking in a gun but when I asked the dealer he told me that a barrel like the one produced for the Sako didn't need breaking in. A custom barrel might but not one of the Sako stamped barrels.

Second: What is the best practice for caring for the wood stock. My old gun was a Remington 870 with a high gloss varnish. I just wiped it down to clean it and then rubbed it with a very slightly oiled rag before putting it away for the season. This bavarian stock is not varnished with the same high gloss. It is more of a satin finish. What is best to maintain it? Are there any recommended oils to use? Or just use the old gun oil?

I use paste floor wax on my stocks, then wipe it off.
I don't do anything special to break in a rifle , except to clean and check after a few shots.
Cat

DOGFISH
03-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Like the Cat said, use bee's wax on the stock. Gives it nice look and a little protection.

As far as break in same thing, clean it and check the bore.

Then before i put it in the safe I wipe it down with a silicone cloth and it is ready for use.