PDA

View Full Version : Solo missions - make sure you're prepared! (Wab March 3)

Geezle
03-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Well, yesterday I decided to do a little exploring out on Wab. I wanted to check out the South side since I never see anybody fishing over there, but there have to be fish over there!

I'm not 100% sure about where I can drive on to the lake on the South side so I just went on at the boat launch in town and cut across the lake. Started out in 2wd and all was well, though I was bogging down a little when I'd hit a snow drift, so I eventually put it into 4wd. By the time I got to the South side the snow was definitely deeper, and I had to get going a little faster to keep my momentum.

And then it happened.

I hit a big snow drift and felt myself slow down a little...then I felt the Jeep sink and that was it. I'd hit a patch of flood ice and broke through it.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/030311_141900.jpg

I freaked out a little at first, but soon calmed down, resigned myself to my fate, and started digging. It's times like this that I appreciate having a good shovel and not one of those stupid little 'emergency' things. I also carry a big ice chipper kind of thing that got a lot of use in the clearing process.

After about an hour when I realized I was still going to be there for a while I figured to myself "might as well make the most of it" so I got the auger out and popped a hole just off to the side of where I was stuck and set my tip-up up. I managed to pull in two fish during the dig, which brightened my day a bit :)

The first one looked like it's eye was messed up by a hook coming from the inside at soem point in time. The pic doesn't show it well, but I could see the 'slice' where it went through, and the eye was kind of sunken in. It also had some blackish spots on its belly.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/030311_140800.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/030311_140801.jpg

After being out there for a total of about 3 hours (with a couple breaks to catch fish!) I finally managed to get myself out. I've gotta say I was quite relieved

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/030311_131800.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/030311_142700.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/030311_142600.jpg

So I packed up my stuff and was going to try a spot I'd passed before I got stuck. Once I got there I hopped out of the Jeep and instantly the ice made a LOT of noise. On one hand I'm SURE that the ice is plenty thick out there, but after the experience I'd just had the cracking gave me the heebie-jeebies so I hopped back in the Jeep and booked it back to a spot that I'm more familiar with! :scared0018: I set up there and finished my day comfortably catching a few more pike in my nice warm tent.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/030311_161900.jpg

So the moral of the story is be careful when you're out there alone. Make sure you're geared up so that if something does happen you're prepared to deal with it. The only things I really needed for this endeavor were the shovel, ice chipper, and I used the rubber mat I use for my tent floor to get a little extra traction. Had worse come to worse I probably could have spent a night or two on the ice and been fine. I had my tent and heater, Coleman lantern and extra fuel, blankets, flashlight, extra warm clothes, as well as some food and water and my cell phone and charger. I also always make sure I'm starting with a full tank of gas when I head out there.

Though this experience won't scare me away from my solo trips, it's definitely taught me a bit of a lesson and given me something to think about.

perchfinder
03-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Now thats un-wanted exercise! Glad you made it out.

pikehunter1989
03-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Atleast you managed some good fish out of the whole ordeal.

ruger300
03-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Good story. Reminded me of the time I took the wife and kids out on Nakanum when there was still perch to catch in that lake. Got off the beaten path in deep snow and got stuck. Drilled a couple holes with the auger and set the kids up and let them fish while me and the wife dug the truck out. Kids caught fish and had fun and we got our exercise that day. Good day all around.

ruger300

nicemustang
03-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Yikes. Surprised you got out of that on your own.

Okotokian
03-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Not an ice fisherman so I've never driven on ice. Frankly however, the thought scares me. I don't know much about ice and would be terrified I've misjudged things and will fall through. Sort of the feeling I get just as I drive over the ramp onto a ferry, after they had that accident where a family fell in died.

mooseknuckle
03-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Good to hear you made it out there Jay!! From your text messages yesterday It didnt sound as bad as it appears it was. I was about 20 minutes away I could have come and given you hand ie. catch the fish while you were digging. LOL. You are one of the most prepared guys I have ever met. And if anything this serves as a valuable lesson to all of us. Save the exploring for this summer I'll run you over there in the boat.

Hunter Trav
03-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Good on ya for throwing a tip out out while shoveling, a sure sign of a true angler!!! :D

gramps73
03-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Good lesson learned, glad everything worked out and yes you did some nice fish,,,

fishstix
03-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Right on, Geezle. Fishing while your're digging youself out sounds like something i would do. And catching some fish!
Good work man!

buckmaster
03-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Jay, a real truck like a chev that i own would of made it out of there without any problems.I think its time to trade in the Jeep!!!:argue2:.

Coldone
03-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Jay, a real truck like a chev that i own would of made it out of there without any problems.I think its time to trade in the Jeep!!!:argue2:.

Boo!! Lol keep the jeep just upgrade the tires! Lol but I'm a Jeep owner myself.. So I'm biased! Any day out on the lake.. Diggin out or not.. Sure beats heading to work.. Good see ya had a good day!

crazyfish
03-04-2011, 04:35 PM
being prepared is always the best preventative medicine ! Good for getting yourself out, and fishing while at it !:sHa_shakeshout:

Maybe change your name to the boyscout !!! :bad_boys_20:

The Great Outdoors
03-04-2011, 07:40 PM
What kind of tip-up were you using?

Geezle
03-04-2011, 07:47 PM

There will be no trading in of the Jeep! If anything I just need a lift and taller tires so I'm not dragging my diffs :lol: :fighting0074:

Geezle
03-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Good on ya for throwing a tip out out while shoveling, a sure sign of a true angler!!! :D
If you knew me it'd make even more sense :lol:

Right on, Geezle. Fishing while your're digging youself out sounds like something i would do. And catching some fish!
Good work man!
When life gives you lemons...:)

What kind of tip-up were you using?

I use a Frabill thermal tip-up :)

Geezle
03-04-2011, 07:53 PM
I just got something else to help me be a little more prepared in the event of an 'emergency'. I picked up a Stanley booster pack/air compressor from CT this morning. I always carry plugs for my tires, but air isn't always available. I actually had a raincheck for a different 12v compressor but then this came on sale for not much more and I figured the booster pack would be good to have just in case.

mooseknuckle
03-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Geezle AKA "the last boyscout" !!

The Great Outdoors
03-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Any thing else you carry? Tow-Rope? Candles? How do you pack it all - got a picture?

Geezle
03-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Any thing else you carry? Tow-Rope? Candles? How do you pack it all - got a picture?

Yep, I carry a 30'x3" tow strap and a giant clevis to go with it. No candles but I've got a hatchet, paper, and a couple lighters so I could build a fire if I needed. Also a head lamp and another flashlight.

You don't want to see how I have it all packed :scared: :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Geezle
03-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Geezle AKA "the last boyscout" !!

So how's Sunday looking for ya? :)

The Great Outdoors
03-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Thats it! Im Going to Princess Auto tomorrow to gear up. I head out all the time by myself and guess I have been lucky so far. Anyone know where to get a good set of boosters??

Geezle
03-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Thats it! Im Going to Princess Auto tomorrow to gear up. I head out all the time by myself and guess I have been lucky so far. Anyone know where to get a good set of boosters??

If you're going to Princess Auto you can get booster cables there.

I just picked up one of these today: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/Batteries/BatteryBoosting/PRD~0111593P/Stanley%252BJumpstarter%25252BMobile%252BPower%252 BPack.jsp?locale=en

That way if I get stranded and I'm alone I can boost myself :) Plus I really wanted the compressor. Just imagine if I would have had a tire go flat while I was in that water (I do have one tire with a slow leak that I can't find) and I couldn't get it lifted with my jack. At least with this I could pump it up to keep myself going...or if I could find the leak, slam a plug in there and then pump it up.

Seems like good cheap insurance to me :)

edit: plus you can run a fish finder/cam/etc. with it like Wayne :cool:

The Great Outdoors
03-04-2011, 09:27 PM
I just picked up one of these today: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/Batteries/BatteryBoosting/PRD~0111593P/Stanley%252BJumpstarter%25252BMobile%252BPower%252 BPack.jsp?locale=en

Hey that looks ok for $60.00

Did you find any reviews on the Stanley. Is it another CT special that breaks in 2 months, or does it feel solid?

Geezle
03-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Hey that looks ok for $60.00

Did you find any reviews on the Stanley. Is it another CT special that breaks in 2 months, or does it feel solid?

Read some reviews, and it seems like a pretty solid unit actually. I have high hopes for it.

The Great Outdoors
03-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Great.. Thanks for the thread. Im now headed to Princess Auto, CT, and Lake Isle tomorrow!

mooseknuckle
03-04-2011, 10:36 PM
So how's Sunday looking for ya? :)

Ahhh you know me busy times my friend so I'd say as of now it's 50/50! But I like my chances.

zepf
03-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Good to see you made it out ok.The gate is still open on the southside across from the transalta main entrace.Didn t look like any tracks on the lake tho.I ll try and check monday when I go to work.

Geezle
03-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Good to see you made it out ok.The gate is still open on the southside across from the transalta main entrace.Didn t look like any tracks on the lake tho.I ll try and check monday when I go to work.

Walk-on access only over there :o

thorne
03-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Well at least you got out without being covered in mud at 1:00 am....this time:fighting0030:
I know people make fun of me for all the gear I carried in my X-Terra...and that is exactly why...so I bought the Titan so I can carry even more gear...but it looks like less!! You have no idea how much I respect any one who has the the intelligence and foresight to to be be adventuroius to venture off by them selves knowing they can handle what ever comes up....and when you hit that situation you didn`t think of....well next time you`ll have one more peice of kit to find a place to stow away....I spent 5 hours digging my self off of Thunder lake 6 years ago (when there were fish there) and from that point on I loaded up with shovels, chains, tow straps, coleman stove tent and blankets, 2-way radios, tool kit, portable power system,...blah, blah, blah....anyway like my grand pappa would say........
Ìf ya got it...you`ll never wish you did` besides Its great to have a few guys out there roaming around to help out the guys who may need a hand....we`ve all been there...