PDA

View Full Version : Scope question

pikergolf
03-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Went out to sight in my new hmr .17 today. Groups at 50 not great 3/4" best. I noticed that when looking at the cross hairs when I moved my head the cross hairs would move on the target. I had set the ring on the scope so the cross hairs where focused. I know it's not the greatest scope (bushnell trophy XLT) but should it do that? Because it's so cold I did not try at a hundred yards, would that improve at that range? Any suggestions? Thanks

7mm08
03-04-2011, 03:17 PM
The cross hair movement you are seeing as you move your head is called parellex. If your scope does not have parellex adjustment for range, then not having a consistent cheek weld to the stock will cause your groups to open up.
Happy shooting. :)

timsesink
03-04-2011, 04:04 PM
x2, most scopes are set for around 100yards. If you're shooting closer you'll see the parellex. For all my rimfire guns I always use a adj obj to get rid of this problem. The other option is rimfire specific scopes will be set @ 50yards.

pikergolf
03-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the explanation guys.

silver
03-05-2011, 06:12 AM
I slide the scope as far forward as possible. I back away from the scope until a black ring start closing in from the sides. I keep the ring an even thickness all the way around and that keeps things consistant.